Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2008, 13:20   #61
Senior - BHPian

OFF-Topic:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
@ gurkha, Thats owesome!! whats the specs of hino?

Jonga was a very capable vehicle but VFJ hardly did any hard work to improve. They just keep assembling them until uncapable mahindra took over.
If you visit certain sites like CAG (comptroller and auditor General), I had the pages but somehow cannot find it now, and CAG has removed them i guess...

You will be surprised that VFJ never produced the demands of army's 12000 vehicle per year.
Ironical thing about this was that after spending 24 cr. for revamping the production line the other year the production fell short of 2000 vehicle to 8000 instead of 10000. Funny huh.!!

It was only until 1992 they were outsourced to TATA, Leyland and mahindra completely.
Now VFJ produces verhicle by assembling kits provided by Leyland and Tata.

Its a shameful thing. Compare this to USA Govt. where saving each soldiers' life is considered serious business by providng such vehicle as Humvee, OSKOSH etc. Each costing equalavent to a ferrari or aston.
Yes, what happened with VFJ maybe wrong.
But, please do not compare India with the US. We can always bring up ten other issues in the US army and this will become a never ending "coffee-toffee" thread .
Old 8th June 2008, 23:33   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
OFF-Topic:

But, please do not compare India with the US. We can always bring up ten other issues in the US army and this will become a never ending "coffee-toffee" thread .
I am not comparing yaar!! In my opinion our brave warrior deserve better than Mahindras. I am happy TATA bought JLR. I hope now they will get more capable Pink Panthers and Wolfs.

I am saying this because of many incidents, a recent one we encountered at a frens garden restaurant where we hang out almost every night.
A young officer arrived along with his friends driving his standard issue XDP. He was driving and his detailed driver riding at the back, he booked the table and enquired if he can come for dinner late at about 11:00pm. and went back to his jeep. His driver came and said 'saab aapse start nai hoga, mai start karke dunga'. Its was a 07D issued jeep, so quite new, imagine this happening in a battle field. lolz
Old 9th June 2008, 15:15   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
OFF-Topic:

i think alec has made a very valid point. about how our men are given step motherly treatment while the US army guys are pampered. it's not at all coffee-toffee.
Old 25th July 2008, 17:32   #64
BHPian

This Jonga arrived recently at one of our bhpians service center for some work, the owner is planning to use it on his farm to carry things around. It has a Nissan Diesel engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Nissan Jonga! Can I have some details about this monster truck?-n0001.jpg  

Nissan Jonga! Can I have some details about this monster truck?-n0006.jpg  

Nissan Jonga! Can I have some details about this monster truck?-n0009.jpg  

Nissan Jonga! Can I have some details about this monster truck?-n0008.jpg  

Nissan Jonga! Can I have some details about this monster truck?-n0007.jpg  

Old 25th July 2008, 19:29   #65
BHPian

Am from Bikaner in Rajasthan and living with a Jonga was very common for us because of the huge military base; and military convoys were a common sight leaded by jongas and a huge trail of shaktimans and other russian imports. Lately, almost all jongas have been phased out from army and bought by local farmers there. Some have been fitted with additional seats and used as a public transport between villages. You should see the way it glides through the deserts.

I had many relatives in the army and sitting in a jonga was a moment for pride for us (i didn't knew how to drive ) - most of the senior army officers used one.

Maybe if i go back to Bikaner, i will buy one for me and get it restored to what it really is

... if you are planning to buy one, you can get them in Rajasthan easily from either of the following places:Bikaner, Jodhpur, Jaipur, Alwar or Jaisalmer.

Last edited by Jaggu : 25th July 2008 at 20:36.
Old 25th July 2008, 22:40   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somubj View Post
Am from Bikaner in Rajasthan and living with a Jonga was very common for us because of the huge military base; and military convoys were a common sight leaded by jongas and a huge trail of shaktimans and other russian imports. Lately, almost all jongas have been phased out from army and bought by local farmers there. Some have been fitted with additional seats and used as a public transport between villages. You should see the way it glides through the deserts.

I had many relatives in the army and sitting in a jonga was a moment for pride for us (i didn't knew how to drive ) - most of the senior army officers used one.

Maybe if i go back to Bikaner, i will buy one for me and get it restored to what it really is

... if you are planning to buy one, you can get them in Rajasthan easily from either of the following places:Bikaner, Jodhpur, Jaipur, Alwar or Jaisalmer.
I guess its not correct, as i am living here and havn't came across a single one. Rajasthan is typically mileage conscious and most people are dieselhead, so even if its out there they might have plonked the 6 cylinder motor out and installed mahindras, which is very popular around here.
Old 28th July 2008, 16:56   #67
BHPian

Dudes Abhilash & Gurkha,

Now that some awesome machines that you have.

@Abhilash - I could see that you are from Mumbai, how difficult it is for you to source parts for Jonga.

I could see that absolute attention to details have been paid to your vehicle. I would love to see this vehicle in flesh sometime. Do PM me your mobile number.

Once again, congrats on your wonderful ride.

Thanks

Sabareesh
Old 30th July 2008, 00:53   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
I guess its not correct, as i am living here and havn't came across a single one. Rajasthan is typically mileage conscious and most people are dieselhead, so even if its out there they might have plonked the 6 cylinder motor out and installed mahindras, which is very popular around here.
Yes, most of the motors have been replaced by other higher mileage options.
Old 7th January 2009, 09:19   #69
BHPian

When your passionate about 4x4, naturally you get yourself a jeep and go offroading. But to get your piece of heart ready for the rough and effort taken is known only by you and a fellow jeeper who has gone through that process. Check out this link :: My Jonga :: .Our very own Tbhpian (abhilashn) love for his Jonga.

(Posted on behalf of Abhilash).

Last edited by egangsta : 7th January 2009 at 09:20.
Old 7th January 2009, 09:46   #70
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing the link. Though have already seen the pictures, it was nice to go through the video and the stories. This vehicle is an amazing piece of history indeed.
Old 23rd January 2009, 01:04   #71
BHPian

Sir alec,...or should I say smart Alec !! You have some nerve ! You don't like Mahindras,..we all know , repeating yourself over and over again is neither going to get you point across stronger, neither is it going to make the MM550's any less capable!!! I have seen these very vehicles you slam in action and we do not need a proxy telling is otherwise,.. Keep your love for the landy's surely you don't see us picking on your liking for this marquee !!!
Old 23rd January 2009, 22:35   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative View Post
Sir alec,...or should I say smart Alec !! You have some nerve ! You don't like Mahindras,..we all know , repeating yourself over and over again is neither going to get you point across stronger, neither is it going to make the MM550's any less capable!!! I have seen these very vehicles you slam in action and we do not need a proxy telling is otherwise,.. Keep your love for the landy's surely you don't see us picking on your liking for this marquee !!!
Thanks for quoting.! aren't you 6 months too late .

Ofcourse you can't pick my likings, for obvious reasons.
Either you will end up making Gulf people more richer or you will spoil the very existence of it by plonking a Djal, lemme guess, from a Mahindra.
Not to forget buying an extra simply as a parts doner.

Here is a simple question.
If tata manages to import all the tooling and make the Def90 here, localizes 90% of it, and sells it for under 6 lac. Then will you go for Mahindra. I will really like to hear your answer on this.

Last edited by SirAlec : 23rd January 2009 at 22:41.
Old 24th January 2009, 02:25   #73
BHPian

I am sorry if you're reading my message twice,..up here in the jungle the diesels as you mis-spelt are pretty much mainstay ! Which going by your wishful thinking are more real than the Landy's at 6 lacs ! Look I'd love to spend some quality time next to you learning more about your rides !! But stop picking on MM's and you'll be more a part of the 4x4 community !! Comprende'
Old 24th January 2009, 18:08   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative View Post
I am sorry if you're reading my message twice,..up here in the jungle the diesels as you mis-spelt are pretty much mainstay ! Which going by your wishful thinking are more real than the Landy's at 6 lacs ! Look I'd love to spend some quality time next to you learning more about your rides !! But stop picking on MM's and you'll be more a part of the 4x4 community !! Comprende'
Dude! did i say djal is bad. Djal engine as in MM peugot motor.
For your info Defender is more popular in its TUD5 avtar. and yeah! you can have a 85 model for 3.75 lac.

BTW! its about choice and experience isn't it. Where else you can rant about things other than forums.

Last edited by SirAlec : 24th January 2009 at 18:09.
Old 24th January 2009, 18:33   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

The earlier defender TD5 was not a very complicated machine. If Tata can localize and launch it in the 6 too 7 lakh range, I will definitely get one and I think many people on this forum will too.

Most Viewed