Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2009, 00:14   #91
BHPian

Yup, it was the 60 series. The g60 for the rags and kl60 for the tin-caps, but right now i dont exactly remember what the longer wheelbases were called, except that they were all Patrols.The distrbuter and carb were waterproof and even without a snorkel, it could ford about 32-35'' of water. The only thing that beat it was a diff-lock, but back then, none of the other vehicle had them, so Nissan never bothered. It was in the 80's that the Patraols came with diff-locks as stock equipment.
Old 27th March 2009, 09:41   #92
Senior - BHPian

What a set of pictures! I just love the look of this vehicle. Thanks a ton for sharing.
-regards,
Old 27th March 2009, 11:13   #93
Senior - BHPian

@brutus you made my day with the pics. that one good looking 4x4. hows your project going?
Old 27th March 2009, 12:08   #94
BHPian

awesome pics bikram, good to see the Nissan Patrol doing these acrobatics. Hows your Jonga doing ?
Old 27th March 2009, 15:00   #95
BHPian

Thanks everybody,
Don't ask me right now, because with my studies still going on, i'am still stuck on the axle issue. As of now i have the axle sets and a chassis i bought in dabwalli that already had a diesel motor registered. The body and the 60's chassis is still in calcutta and only god know when i'll be able to get it from there.
The problems with the axle is the knuckles part. The Nissan and the Tata407 axles,both use a CV birfield joint, with the 407 birfield being about twice the size of the jonga unit(infact it is almost the same size as used in the bigger TMB axles), so theres no doubt it won't fit. Useing the Jonga Birfield with upgraded shafts ain't any better since that part would still be only as strong as it earlier was and therefore any upgrade elsewhere is useless(a chain is only as stong as its weakest link). The only choise i have is to use longfield birfields from the cruisers, and those are damn expensive.
I have sourced a Cummins motor with the P-type pump. Initially it produces 210hp, it can be taken all the way to 1400hp, but since i would'nt be using an intercooler(no more space), all i can take it is to 400hp and 80kgm torque, with a new set of injectors, a few pump springs, an aurora turbo, and a better lift-pump.
Old 27th March 2009, 16:24   #96
Senior - BHPian

So the project is still stuck. Hope you can complete it soon.
Old 27th March 2009, 16:56   #97
BHPian

Thats what happens in projects like these. More so since i'am doing all the stuff myself and getting it done from some mechanic who would take 10 repeats and still would'nt know what i'am talking about.
Old 27th March 2009, 19:57   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutus View Post
Thats what happens in projects like these. More so since i'am doing all the stuff myself and getting it done from some mechanic who would take 10 repeats and still would'nt know what i'am talking about.
I know, have experience with that, I that my jeep modified with stuff no one had heard off.
By the way you got the axle from a 4x4 , 407 ?
Old 28th March 2009, 00:32   #99
BHPian

I got the birfields and the inner shafts of the front unit, along with the carrier housing, and theres nothing more from the 407 that i needed at the time. The spider gears of the 407 are no much stronger than the jonga's or for that matter even the dana44, but the rest of the stuff is a lot more beefier. The stock jonga shafts can very much handle 33' tires, but i wonder what that mince-meat making cummins motor would do to them. Something in the back of my mind does tell me that i should rather go for the 407 axles, just shortened a bit, or i would be really sorry one day for not doing so.(dont want to go with heavier axles, not that the motor of my choice is light either, it weights 4 quintals)
But that, my friends, time will tell.
Old 28th March 2009, 08:06   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutus View Post
I have sourced a Cummins motor with the P-type pump. Initially it produces 210hp, it can be taken all the way to 1400hp, but since i would'nt be using an intercooler(no more space), all i can take it is to 400hp and 80kgm torque, with a new set of injectors, a few pump springs, an aurora turbo, and a better lift-pump.
hi brutus,
nice find (pictures).
80kgm (80 kilogram-force meter = 784.532 newton meter ?) & 400hp ,
this is very serious power man

give more details of cummins (wich model /cc etc) & detailed information about modifications (will be) done to achieve 400 hp

and one last thing we want pictures-ssss
Old 28th March 2009, 14:43   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
hi brutus,
nice find (pictures).
80kgm (80 kilogram-force meter = 784.532 newton meter ?) & 400hp ,
this is very serious power man

give more details of cummins (wich model /cc etc) & detailed information about modifications (will be) done to achieve 400 hp

and one last thing we want pictures-ssss
The regular 6bt cummins engine, 5.99 Liter,6cylinder,12valve monster that does duty in most TATA truck. it's detuned for the commercial market. The engine is one of most modified engine in diesel truck abroad. Only draw back is, it's heavy.
Old 28th March 2009, 14:44   #102
BHPian

The Cummins motor used by the Tata trucks are almost the same as those used in the first generation Dogde Ram diesels(i think 88-92), though there are even second generation Dodge Ram engines being used by Tata and Awm(or is it Amw). The main difference is that the earlier Dodge versions used a ve-rotary pump and the second used a p-type pump. There are also the A-type pump engines in use(infact 80% tata trucks use this engine), but since this type is mostly used as an industrial engine in the U.S., finding aftermarket parts for it can be a headache.
Now the P-type motor has the capability to reach 1400hp(and beyond that with nitrous, propane and water-meth injections), but since these are rare here, and overhauling just this pump (even without aftermarket parts) costs you more than a lakh, i am have second thoughts about it.
The Ve-type rotary has the capability to go till 700hp, but that is with a very modded pump(and not to mention the motor), with a 14mm head. 450-500hp is easily reachable with this engine without any motor modds and just a few other(but expensive changes). Firstly, just fiddling with the pump fuel screw takes up the power from 160hp to 235hp, then the gov. spring in the pump is changed to a short one that takes the engine rpm govenor limit from 2500rpm to 3200rpm(theres even a 3600rpm spring, but frankly its no good taking the engine beyond 3200rpm because thats when it starts to get really ineffecient).Nissan Jonga! Can I have some details about this monster truck?-governor_spring_19.jpg(the spring i'am talking about).
There are also AFC-pins and delivery valve sets available, but there are ways to make your own AFC pins, and i dont want as much power to warrent an upgrade delivery valve set.

Next come the injectors, and there are loads of them available, right from 300hp units to 475hp units , and then the custom ones for ppl looking for more power.
Since you upgraded the fuel delivery from the pump onwards, you need to upgrade the fuel pick-up too, and normally all they use is an upgraded piston pick-up pump from the p-pump motors( the ve-pump original pick-up pumps are diaphragm units), though there are more powerful electrical ones also available.
Last but not the least, the basics of a turbo motor is to stuff in as much fuel into a cylinder with whatever amounts of air it might need to burn, so upgrading the turbo is very neccessary. High Hp units use 2 turbos or even sometimes 3 turbos, with one feeding the other turbo and that the next, and to cool all this charge they use mighty big intercoolers(and sometimes when the intercooler is also not enough, they even use water injections). Turbos are rather complex devices, so selecting a turbo with the right impellor and compressor for your engine and power levels is neccessary, and not to mention the diameter . The stock holset turbo have loads of lag, and even if you are fine with that, all it can take you to is about 250hp. There are various waste-gated and non-wastegated turbos available in the market like Auroro and Super-B( non-wastegated turbos cannot be used with an exhause brake) but that is the most expensive part(about $1400 at the cheapest, i think).
As far as the fitting into the Jonga is concerned, there is just about only enough space, and since i really dont like cutting and modding body shells to do the job, it is going to be a real tough job. An inter-cooler is out of the question(not enough space) and without it, even 400Hp, without taking care of the boost and Egt guages, it going to melt things if used for a long time. I can try using water-meth injection too, but that i'll decide later. But then agian, a 1.75 ton vehicle with 82kgm motor is meant to be no less than a ballistic missile with a nuke warhead, therefore before going in for engine upgrades, i have to take care of other drivetrain components and beef them up.
Bikram
Old 31st March 2009, 23:58   #103
BHPian

I have been offered a Jonga for a throw away price - It is a 77 model hardtop LWB. Original petrol engine has been replaced with a Tata-Mercedes Diesel Engine. Mechanicals are okay but it needs significant body work. I will be checking out the car in detail later this week. I will post pictures here and see if I get any recommendations from you.

I do not intend on restoring this back to original but instead cutting it down to SWB and making it either into a SUT or soft top SWB like in Brutus's reference pictures.

Is this going to be worth the effort?
Old 1st April 2009, 00:24   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
That depends. If you are strictly talking about price, than the jonga's themselves(from the auction lot) are not that expensive(rs35-45000).
If you want a diesel motor, then it does make sense, since its no longer legally possible to convert a petrol motor to a diesel one, and the original diesel Jongas are hard to come by.(and petrol motor parts very hard to come by.I know since i've been sending parts to some american friends for their patrol g60's)
Otherwise, i am against aginst cutting the chassis and lengthening it, or in your case cut an already cut and lengthened jonga, back to its original shape.
Old 1st April 2009, 01:35   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
I have been offered a Jonga for a throw away price - It is a 77 model hardtop LWB. Original petrol engine has been replaced with a Tata-Mercedes Diesel Engine. Mechanicals are okay but it needs significant body work. I will be checking out the car in detail later this week. I will post pictures here and see if I get any recommendations from you.

I do not intend on restoring this back to original but instead cutting it down to SWB and making it either into a SUT or soft top SWB like in Brutus's reference pictures.

this is very common in Darjeeling. Village people use this for transportation. they have choice of engines, mahindra, mazda, tata. some even has old Tata D model engines.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks