Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2009, 10:32   #121
BHPian

it was a plasure to read of the jonga, and see it restored . i have some very vivid memories of travelling extensively in a jonga, it was always the luxurious vehicle as compared to the jeep , and was always with more of the sparkling accesories attached .
i remember it being definitely more smooth and more liable to develop snags just when you did not need them.
one particular journey i remember all along the pengyong tso to chushul to nyoma to chummatang where the jonga was one of the very few vehicles in army which could cover it, the full trip of some 200 odd kms was done on 4by4 , it was awesome, many more such memories of this powerfull and smooth veh fill up my mind .
some very deep associations and memories .
will post a pic of me standing with my jongaon the frozen indus with trhe bridge overhead full of snow, one of my fav pics...

but i believe iits ridiculously expensive to restore one now..and how are you coping up withthe poor f.e ??

also with the nissan monogram in the front it was perhaps the only known international automotive brand which we rode in those days ...hahahaha.
Old 7th May 2009, 00:15   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
I never have sat in a Jonga, but my "Captain" friend in army had a Jonga at his disposal. When he was posted at Dehu Road, he used to come over to meet us in that Jonga. Out of fun, we calculated how much does that 60-70 km trip cost to army? (Dehu Road -> Pune -> Dehu road). It turned out to be something like 750 Rs. Grrrrrrrr! What a colossal waste of money.
My brother in law is a wing commander retd, in year in 1972 he was posted in Assam Tezpur I had gone to meet my sister there in the same year I must be around 20 years old that time and in the Air Force Camp I saw plenty of immaculate Jongas for officers and my brother in law used to travel till his base in a Jonga from his qurters Igot facinated towards them and told my brother in law that where will I get it ,He told me that during disposal sale they are sold as low as 4000/- to 6000/- I told him to inform me about the sale time and I shall come again for the same but once I came back to Mumbai I got busy with my Engineering college and totally forgot about it. Now it is very very very rare to see a Jonga even in remote north India got knows where have all of them gone.
Old 7th May 2009, 09:50   #123
BHPian

Hey Iqbal
My uncle was in the army (now retired) and I do have fond memories of him in a Jonga too. This was about 20 yrs ago, and for a kid the jonga seemed like the titanic.
Well as for your question on where the Jonga's have gone, I had the misfortune of seeing a Jonga being broken down in the local "gujli" to extract and sell the metal. Sadly I guess lots of Jonga's have gone down this road.
One of my friends though has managed to get his hands on a Jonga - with the original petrol engine. This lucky Jonga is on the restoration road now. He has managed to get the mechanicals working (it took 3 months to get parts etc). Now he is working on the body, he is planning on doing the interiors last.
I got to see it recently and I must say that it still looks as intimidating as ever

GB
Old 7th May 2009, 17:40   #124
BHPian

Hi All JONGA Lovers,
I am also a big fan of JONGA & preparing the blog about this magnificent vehicle; I have got many pics of Army used JONGA's, VFJ produced diesel JONGA's but I have managed to get only one pic of JONGA used in Himalayan Rally Challenge by Indian Army & Air Force teams. I want the pics & also the information about Racing JONGA's.
Thanks in advance.
Hrishikesh
Old 7th May 2009, 17:42   #125
BHPian

My blog address is:
VFJ JONGA - AN INDIAN HUMVEE
I have only done a front page....
will furnish the blog after 15th May....
Old 7th May 2009, 19:31   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
I own a VFJ Jonga with HINO engine since 1996, picked it up brand new from Jabalpur. The HINO engine is a beast in every form, pulls from 3rd gear which is a miracle of sorts.
Gurkha can we have pictures of your Jonga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy-Boy View Post
Hey Iqbal
My uncle was in the army (now retired) and I do have fond memories of him in a Jonga too. This was about 20 yrs ago, and for a kid the jonga seemed like the titanic.
Well as for your question on where the Jonga's have gone, I had the misfortune of seeing a Jonga being broken down in the local "gujli" to extract and sell the metal. Sadly I guess lots of Jonga's have gone down this road.
One of my friends though has managed to get his hands on a Jonga - with the original petrol engine. This lucky Jonga is on the restoration road now. He has managed to get the mechanicals working (it took 3 months to get parts etc). Now he is working on the body, he is planning on doing the interiors last.
I got to see it recently and I must say that it still looks as intimidating as ever

GB
Hi Gypsy-Boy your friend is a very lucky person to get a Jonga, my sugesstion will be to retain original petrol engine instead of replacing it with a diesel engine please tell him to get its workshop manual from Nissan if possible and carry out the restroration according to manual. For parts he can come to Pune,Ahmednagar towns. He can also ask Nissan if they have stocks of parts.I had a friend in mumbai he restored his Land Rover as per Workshop Manual he went to the minutest areas viz tail light lenses,brake and clutch pedal rubbers,gear lever knob,etc etc. and the engine was rebuilt and all the retaining nuts and bolts were tightened according to TORQUE level mentioned in the manual. He took pain to paint it in original paint shade metioned in the RC book when it was first registered in year 1966.It took him almost 2 years to complete the project.The best part is he got the Work Shop manual from a RADDI WALA shop for 100/-The Land Rover parts are available in plenty in Mumbai,infact there are few shops in Opere House specelizing in Landy parts.I have few freinds in the market I will ask them f or JONGA parts if they have any or they will guide me in the matter of their availability elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
I've got a little more than 4,000 Jonga pictures, thats why i said i wish i could show you more, lol
Hi Brutus if you have a treasure of 4000 photos of JONG then please post them as soon as possible If you have a step by step photos of restoration of a JONGA please post them too

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
hi brutus

this is from my side
These photos give assurance to spare parts seekers that the parts are STILL available all over the world

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th May 2009 at 15:22. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread. Thanks.
Old 7th May 2009, 20:36   #127
BHPian

Hi All JONGA Fans,
As JONGA is a too thirsty vehicle with its 3956cc Petrol engine giving around 3-5 kmpl, Army has now discontinued it, god knows what is going to happen to all of them, as around nearly 3000 are still in use.
The article about it was published in 24th February's Hindustan Times...
The pic of JONGA is of Abhilash Nambiar (on tbhp as abhilashn) before its restoration..
Attached Thumbnails
Nissan Jonga! Can I have some details about this monster truck?-scan0001-medium.jpg  

Old 8th May 2009, 01:39   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhrishikesh View Post
Hi All JONGA Fans,
As JONGA is a too thirsty vehicle with its 3956cc Petrol engine giving around 3-5 kmpl, Army has now discontinued it, god knows what is going to happen to all of them, as around nearly 3000 are still in use.
The article about it was published in 24th February's Hindustan Times...
The pic of JONGA is of Abhilash Nambiar (on tbhp as abhilashn) before its restoration..
What Feb25 ?? they were dumped long ago.
Old 8th May 2009, 09:43   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Hi Gypsy-Boy your friend is a very lucky person to get a Jonga, my sugesstion will be to retain original petrol engine instead of replacing it with a diesel engine please tell him to get its workshop manual from Nissan if possible and carry out the restroration according to manual. For parts he can come to Pune,Ahmednagar towns. He can also ask Nissan if they have stocks of parts..
Hi Iqbal
This is exactly what my friend is doing It will be a petrol Jonga - He is using the Nissan Patrol as a reference. Apparently the parts for this is still available abroad.
Hopefully will be able to get some pics of the beast next time I meet him

GB
Old 8th May 2009, 19:56   #130
BHPian

I know that are discontinued from Indian Army in 1999, but still around 3000 are still in use there...They are also going to be discontinued....
Old 10th May 2009, 00:27   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhrishikesh View Post
I know that are discontinued from Indian Army in 1999, but still around 3000 are still in use there...They are also going to be discontinued....
Hi.dhrishikesh it is a sad news for a Jonga lover like me that they will be wiped out completely from this world. At least ARMY can have a Jonga in every large town base camps as a souvenier.
Old 10th May 2009, 10:06   #132
BHPian

Hi Iqbal,
The JONGA, An Indian Humvee as I called this mighty vehicle will be totally discontinued from Indian Army but it will stay there in a memorial @ Jabalpur (see the last line of first paragraph).
One of my good friends Abhilash Nambiar (abhilashn on tbhp) has restored his JONGA to a classic & very much original condition.
For a great love for his vehicle, he has also started a small website about his vehicle...
:: My Jonga ::...
a pleasure to see a JONGA there in a very good shape, he has also posted the pics taken during restoration.....
Old 10th May 2009, 10:09   #133
BHPian

@ Gypsy Boy,
For a convenience for your friend during the restoration of his JONGA, can you please send me your email id & mobile number on private message....
I am having a complete manual of NISSAN P60.
will forward it to you....
Old 10th May 2009, 15:56   #134
BHPian

Hi all JONGA fans,
where can I get the pics of JONGA's used by Indian Army & Navy teams in Himalayan Rally challenge ???
Please reply, if possible post the pics...
Old 14th May 2009, 12:08   #135
BHPian

Hi all,
Can I have an information about the JONGA with 3 windshield vents ???
These are from 1st lot of JONGA's from VFJ...

Regards,
Hrishikesh

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks