Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2014, 01:44   #211
BHPian

Re: The most practical & best looking Hardtop - Mahindra Thar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortho_surgeon View Post
Even I did consider the Thar.

So in all I am looking at 10.5 if I am buying a Thar.
Why are you considering a Thar? Primary vehicle or Recreational?

If I had 10.5 lakhs I would buy an nice used SUV which is 4x4 (maybe for some softroading or for MGE events) and get/build an used Jeep for recreational purpose..

Serves both the purpose, I will have a full body vehicle in any which case..

Anyways nuances of the HT will always remain, most of the time its observed when it rains

Last edited by Twinn : 8th August 2014 at 01:57.
Twinn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 10:24   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortho_surgeon View Post
Even I did consider the Thar.

This is what i have worked out.

Further customising the vehicle wil rear front facing seats I think will set me another 50 k.
Again this may be associated with rattling noises if the fitting isn't perfect.
You can re-use one of the side facing rear benches; modify them a little and install them as front facing rear seats. That would cost Rs.2,000 at the most.
PreethamB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 17:13   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post

Only a bazooka holder was missing
laughed out aloud in my office when I read your comment, you made my day mate ..... good humor.
Old 3rd September 2014, 23:19   #214
BHPian

Hello all ,

Has any one on the forum gone for the metal HT from Azad 4x4 ? The fit and finish at least from the pictures looks nice . Some user review regarding the metal top from Azad 4x4 will be really helpful .

In Mumbai I have some friends who have opted the Hyderabad HT , the top looks sturdy and nice but the sealant application is somewhat crude and not done evenly .
Old 14th September 2014, 01:13   #215
BHPian

Hello all,
I have one query . In case we opt for any type of hard top for the Thar can the insurance company decline the claim in case if we need to claim insurance in our ownership ?
Will they give a reason that original stock form of the car has been altered ? .
Has anyone claimed insurance for any reason after installing the hard top on Thar and if yes what was your experience dealing with the insurance providers ?
Any guidance regarding this topic will be much appreciated .
Thanx in advance .
Old 14th September 2014, 19:01   #216
BHPian

In my opinion, the Insurance Company cannot deny a claim, since the hard top in fact makes the Jeep more secure. And in no way does it effect the mechanicals either!
cpbopanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2014, 20:10   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
In my opinion, the Insurance Company cannot deny a claim, since the hard top in fact makes the Jeep more secure. And in no way does it effect the mechanicals either!
Quote:
Originally Posted by al pacino View Post
Hello all,
I have one query . In case we opt for any type of hard top for the Thar can the insurance company decline the claim in case if we need to claim insurance in our ownership ?
Will they give a reason that original stock form of the car has been altered ? .
Has anyone claimed insurance for any reason after installing the hard top on Thar and if yes what was your experience dealing with the insurance providers ?
Any guidance regarding this topic will be much appreciated .
Thanx in advance .

The insurance company will provide insurance coverage limited to the stock form or 'factory gate' state of the vehicle.

For example: if a car comes without body-coloured bumpers and the owner gets them painted at the time of delivery by paying an additional amount or gets it for free from the showroom, then in this case the paint on the bumpers will not be covered in case an insurance claim is made.
The insurance company will pay for the bumper repair/ replacement, labour charges, etc but it will NOT pay for the bumper painting charges (labour or material).

Any change done once the vehicle leaves the factory either at the showroom or at any aftermarket outlet is NOT covered by insurance.One needs to get such changes endorsed onto the insurance policy and pay the incremental premium amount so as to ensure coverage for the additions made.

This is the reason aftermarket ICE needs to be endorsed onto the insurance policy and an incremental premium amount is paid for the same. The same principle applies to CNG / LPG kits and WILL apply to the THARs aftermarket hardtop.
maglev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2014, 20:32   #218
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Any accessory added to the car after market needs to be appraised and endorsed on the insurance, otherwise, you cannot make claim for any aftermarket accessory. Since your hard top costed a bomb, best to get this done asap
4x4addict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2014, 20:40   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Any accessory added to the car after market needs to be appraised and endorsed on the insurance, otherwise, you cannot make claim for any aftermarket accessory. Since your hard top costed a bomb, best to get this done asap
Thanks!

I did consider it initially, but since the Insurance Company reimburses only 50% for FRP products (and depreciation lowers it even further), I just avoided getting the Hard-top insured since it was not economical!

A different plan is running in my mind now
I am planning to flog the Hard-Top and go top-less; makes more sense while driving in Coorg
Old 16th September 2014, 09:45   #220
Senior - BHPian

I have heard complaints of squeaking,creaking and water leaking in almost every aftermarket hard top; more so if you use the Thar for OTR's and on bad terrain. On the other hand my soft top hasn't leaked ever in the heaviest of the rains. Noise is a different story though, managed to fix the dust intake issue to about 80 %.
Old 16th September 2014, 21:00   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks!

I did consider it initially, but since the Insurance Company reimburses only 50% for FRP products (and depreciation lowers it even further), I just avoided getting the Hard-top insured since it was not economical!

A different plan is running in my mind now
I am planning to flog the Hard-Top and go top-less; makes more sense while driving in Coorg
I recently heard that Zero Dep policies cover Glass and Plastic items also 100%, though on a higher premium. Would that not cover FRP hard top ? If it does, i think it is better to cover and safeguard it.

Swami
swami69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 10:13   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
hi everyone, I wanted to check if anyone had installed the hardtop being done by Azad 4x4 in Delhi. (http://www.azad4x4.com/)
In case anyone has an idea of their products, please do provide your thoughts and feedback on the same.

I will probably be visiting them soon to check out their demo vehicle, will post pictures

cheers

Kundan
Hi fellow Thar hard top aficionados, sorry to resurrect a point that was made earlier... but then again it was never really addressed.

I, like the majority of you, voted in favour of the Hyderabad Short as my favourite (kudos to Prabhu and Fazal Ali, both of whom I only know by name and reputation).

Having said that, I'm slightly more partial to the all-metal look that the good folks at Azad 4x4 have come up with, and was wondering why it hasn't received any love on this forum. I should clarify that I only like one of the 4-5 designs showcased on their website. Also, I haven't seen these hard tops -- or indeed any of the other hard tops mentioned in this thread -- in person. Here are some pics, if anyone knows anything about Azad in general and/or their hard tops in particular please do share:

Old 10th December 2014, 20:09   #223
BHPian

Dear All,

I URGENTLY need options with information on availability and a garage to carry out modifications for a rear front facing seat for my Thar.

Budget : Value for money
Old 9th January 2015, 19:34   #224
BHPian

Hi everyone, I've not been active on the blog for a long time. I thought of just 'dropping by' because in the last few weeks I've had a few PMs & phone calls etc regarding how my Mahindra Customisation Hard Top is doing after more than a year of usage. I also had taken my vehicle to the Auto Expo, & to my delight my Thar was almost like a Film Star with people taking pictures with it! Felt good. Anyway to sum it up in short.
I have done about 16k kms which include some Off roading with my OTR Rebels group, a trip to Simla, Narkanda, Hrishikesh, Agra, Jaipur & back! Also a lot of driving in Mumbai city. I have had ABSOLUTELY NO LEAKAGE PROBLEMS. (That was a question asked to me the most!) There is a very slight messy glue discharge from the glass area. But that has caused no leakage at all. Besides that everything that has been done on my Thar is superb. I have seen quite a few Hard Tops in my journey & in Mumbai, but I can vouch that nothing comes close to look, fit, finish & performance (well looks is always subjective). The only downsides as I see are the cost attached, the time taken & that it's only made in Mumbai. If the Mahindra Customisation guys can crack these points , then there will be happiness!

The most practical & best looking Hardtop - Mahindra Thar-imageuploadedbyteambhp1420811476.431613.jpgThe most practical & best looking Hardtop - Mahindra Thar-imageuploadedbyteambhp1420811540.551224.jpgThe most practical & best looking Hardtop - Mahindra Thar-imageuploadedbyteambhp1420811618.689934.jpgThe most practical & best looking Hardtop - Mahindra Thar-imageuploadedbyteambhp1420811817.889820.jpgThe most practical & best looking Hardtop - Mahindra Thar-imageuploadedbyteambhp1420811903.886016.jpg
Avigo71 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th January 2015, 19:20   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avigo71 View Post
I have had ABSOLUTELY NO LEAKAGE PROBLEMS. (That was a question asked to me the most!) There is a very slight messy glue discharge from the glass area. But that has caused no leakage at all. Besides that everything that has been done on my Thar is superb. I have seen quite a few Hard Tops in my journey & in Mumbai, but I can vouch that nothing comes close to look, fit, finish & performance (well looks is always subjective).
I second this feedback, I also have the Mahindra HT done and am very happy with the fit and finish.

The only draw back which is really getting my goat is the super thick B pillar, as I am used to frequent shoulder checks, the super thick B pillar creates a massive blind spot.

Last edited by shivshanker : 10th January 2015 at 19:22.
shivshanker is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks