Roplas HT 8 4.32%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2013, 10:30   #16
BHPian

Re: The most practical & best looking Hardtop - Mahindra Thar

Id choose the Hyd HT:
  1. You dont have to cut the B-pillar
  2. You dont have to change stock rear seats layout just for sake of having a HT.
  3. You have the sunroof panels with option for choosing just front or back. the quintessential quality of a jeep is to connect you more to nature and this provides for that without compromising on safety.
  4. You don't need to be stranded without your vehicle. most buyers have this as only car at home.
  5. The HT is shipped to your doorstep and work's done in 2hrs flat without need for professional help.
  6. Quality of finish.
  7. Last but not least --------R&D and development done with help of Team-Bhp members such as Fazal saab and others .Nothing beats this

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 1st March 2013 at 10:35.
absynthguzzler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2013, 08:47   #17
BHPian

HHT Tall for me any day. The top can be fitted without any body modifications whatsoever. DIY solution is the best part of the package, cost though on the higher side, is worth the money.
Old 3rd March 2013, 12:23   #18
Senior - BHPian

Just what I was looking for !! I think the Hyderabad HT cuts it for me. Especially as it is better with sound & heat proofing. The Performance HT sure looks very nice, but I am not sure about it's ability to keep water & dust out.

Should be ordering one soon enough.

Cheers

P.S. Any idea on the Performance HT pricing and user experience ?
Old 4th March 2013, 00:14   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Just what I was looking for !! I think the Hyderabad HT cuts it for me. Especially as it is better with sound & heat proofing. The Performance HT sure looks very nice, but I am not sure about it's ability to keep water & dust out.

Should be ordering one soon enough.

Cheers

P.S. Any idea on the Performance HT pricing and user experience ?
Didn't notice your Thar ownership thread, already got one or are you planning to get one? Mavneet got the PA top installed recently, his experiences are there on his thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...eep-story.html.
Old 4th March 2013, 10:32   #20
BHPian

Hi guys

That is a comprehensive list of hard tops available in the market. Looks like the promising hardtops mentioned in this thread would increase the number of Thars on the road !

My choice would be the one with front and rear roof opening panels mentioned by Fazal saab.

All said, I myself feel like getting a Thar just for the sake of owning one of these hard tops !!

Cheers
W_C
Old 4th March 2013, 11:03   #21
BANNED

Friends,

What ever said and written , let this year summer and monsoon come and go to see the cracks and leakages in real time , then lets decide the best hardtop to buy, apart from asthetics.

regards,
Rajith.
Rajith is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2013, 11:12   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Didn't notice your Thar ownership thread, already got one or are you planning to get one? Mavneet got the PA top installed recently, his experiences are there on his thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...eep-story.html.

You are right do not own one yet. Am in the market for a CRDe with factory AC. Prefer used if not available then I will get a new one soon enough

Thanks for the thread lead, will surely go thru that

Cheers
Old 5th March 2013, 11:03   #23
BHPian

Re: The Armadillo hard top.

You can take it off the list as it is no longer in production.

I have sold enough to cover the costs of R&D and one piece for me. The mold and associated parts are stored away and not being used anymore.

Regards,
Manas
Old 5th March 2013, 13:40   #24
BHPian

Voted for Performance Hartop.

Last edited by GoSlow : 5th March 2013 at 13:48.
Old 6th March 2013, 15:02   #25
BHPian

I know, I am going a bit off topic, but since we are talking about design and practicality, and these also contribute to ease of use and functionality. Does anyone have these/or has anyone tried these on the THAR? Pictures if possible

1. Roof Rack/Roof Carrier design to fit the Hard Top. - I have tried many permutations combinations on pen & Paper but failed to come up with something functional & practical.

2. Door Visors - as a smoker I am always at peril of flying ash flakes. I have been hunting for this, even looked at the Bolero, Gypsy, Qualis ones, but does fit at all.

3. Fender Flares - Tough its a mud and slush machine, in city driving, with the OEM Fenders smallest of puddles give you that offroad streak!! And sometimes the cleaning guys just rub over it resulting in scratches. The Thar Expedition Kit Fender Flare is about 4.5 inches in width. What is needed is a good 6 inches if I am not wrong.

4.Parking Sensor/Rearview Cameras - most of the Car Kitters have given up. They say drilling into the Iron Bumpers is not their job. Showrooms are reluctant.
Old 7th March 2013, 17:02   #26
BHPian

Since this was a hot thread, thought it may be worthwhile sharing my experience on the HHT here.
Mods, if this needs to be moved to the HHT Thread, please do so. Thanks.

I have had the HHT (without any roof openings) for just over 5 months now and am happy with it so far. The installation was done in some kind of hurry due to labor issues the day i was in HYD. But nevertheless, Prabhu made sure it did get the attention needed and did their best. There are still niggles, but I need to invest time and sort them out. Here are my thoughts on the HHT:

Pros:

1. Feels secure: It’s the best part, since I was unable to leave anything in the car prior.
2. Effective noise reduction: I can listen to music. Also take calls without people thinking I am walking in a gale! If some acoustic work is done on the insides, it will improve more. The noise from the engine bay can also be reduced but I have not attempted anything yet. If someone has, please do share.
3. Efficient cooling: The AC works so much better and since mine is an older model AC without a thermostat, it gets pretty darn cold inside the cabin and have to turn it off & on to stay thawed, especially after sunset.
4. Bangalore heat is what i have tested this on as of now. when I play golf, the Jeep is parked in the open for about 4-5 hrs. and does get very warm inside. I do leave the windows a little open when parked to allow the hot air to escape. Despite this, it does take me about 2 kms of driving with the windows open and AC running to get it to manageable levels. I use sun shades on the windows to save its seats from heating and frying mine!
5. Looks : I think it has enhanced the looks of my vehicle and lots of folks have told me that, including other Thar owners. so, will take that:-).
6. Easy to maintain compared to other vehicles as there is no fabric upholstery/lining on the roof. Just wipe it clean once in a while and it stays good.

Cons:

1. I paid a lot more than it is today:-(. Did enjoy the BLR - HYD drive through :-)!
2. There are air leaks and gaps to be filled with the silicone while installing. I have them over the doors in the water channel and need to plug them. It's audible only at speeds above 80kmph, but irritating.
3. There is a gap in the rear between the tailgate and the hatch, all along bottom of the hatch. Will upload a pic on my ownership page too as asked by Spike, shortly. This one needs to be plugged. else, when off road, the dust/mud comes in easily when you drive and more so when you brake. I have no idea what to do. will post pics and looking forward to some help. it will benefit all HHT users. Also water gets in through this gap during a pressure wash, but that's ok since the vehicle has to be wiped anyway.
4. some parts of the HT heat up more than the others. I guess the PU foam filling is uneven. this must be taken care of while manufacturing.
5. Opening the rear hatch is a tricky one. It springs out the moment the tail gate is opened. Needs effort to close it too. This is my biggest worry when the vehicle goes for service as a little carelessness can damage the rear hatch glass.

Overall, I am happy with the HHT and hopefully it will last me long. Hope this feedback is useful and helps people decide on their choice of HT.

Cheers!

Last edited by Tha'Red : 7th March 2013 at 17:05. Reason: formatting errors corrected.
Tha'Red is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th March 2013, 20:28   #27
Senior - BHPian

@ Tha'Red - It would be nice if you could post some pics to show the problem areas & the fit & finish..many thanks for sharing your experience.

Cheers
Old 18th March 2013, 21:17   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Now, (on a bulk order of 5 numbers or plus).

1. Top end model: Rs.68,000+14.5% (tax)+Rs.7,500 (Packing & shipping), now totals to Rs. 85,360.
(If 'C' form' is provided by the buyer, a tax of 2% can be calculated instead of 14.5%) and the accumulative cost that can be arrived at for the top end model, would be Rs. 76, 860.
2. Front opening roof panel: Rs. 63,000*

3. Rear opening roof panel: Rs.63,000*

4. Fully closed (without any roof opening panels): Rs. 58,000*.

*Applicable taxes+packing & shipping.
As the initial R&D and Production costs have been recovered by the manufacturer (Prabhu) and due to the demand the supply had to be met, hence larger production of the HT's has brought the cost down a bit more which in turn is now possible to pass on the same to the end consumer.

The previous prices above for a minimum order of 5 numbers can now be availed for a single unit.
Regards,
Old 20th March 2013, 10:33   #29
BHPian

here are some pics i managed over the weekend:

The most practical & best looking Hardtop - Mahindra Thar-rear.jpg

The most practical & best looking Hardtop - Mahindra Thar-side.jpg

The most practical & best looking Hardtop - Mahindra Thar-side1.jpg

Clean front roof panel.

The most practical & best looking Hardtop - Mahindra Thar-inside-front-roof.jpg

The gap between the hatch and the rear door is mnarked below. Tried closing this with a rubber strip. but it fell off after 2 open & shut operations! all ideas welcome to help close this. thanks in advance,

The most practical & best looking Hardtop - Mahindra Thar-hatch-gap1.jpg

Area where there is air leak in the front roof panel. the sealant gun can't reach this spot. have used a piece of cloth for now. will find a rubber peice to stick it on. any other ideas welcome.

The most practical & best looking Hardtop - Mahindra Thar-roof-leak.jpg

hope these pics tell you about the HT. I am overall happy with the HT as said earlier.
Old 20th March 2013, 15:02   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha'Red View Post
The gap between the hatch and the rear door is mnarked below. Tried closing this with a rubber strip. but it fell off after 2 open & shut operations! all ideas welcome to help close this. thanks in advance,
Hi Tha'Red,

You can solve this problem so simply. There is a product available in the market called 'weather protector'. It is a black rubberised material glued in one side and 1" width and the roll legth is around 5mtr. Just peal-off the paper and stick it where ever you want (DIY).
Salikt is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks