Roplas HT 8 4.32%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2020, 18:51   #286
BHPian

Re: The most practical & best looking Hardtop - Mahindra Thar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinvardhan View Post
The roplas stallion i have has been done in 2 colour scheme just thought i will post some pics
upgraded stickers and added some accessories i hope people like it, finally managed to convert an old roplas to look macho plz give feedback.
Attached Thumbnails
The most practical & best looking Hardtop - Mahindra Thar-20200725_205547.jpg  

The most practical & best looking Hardtop - Mahindra Thar-20200729_191753.jpg  

The most practical & best looking Hardtop - Mahindra Thar-img_20200719_122017.jpg  

ashwinvardhan is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 20:14   #287
Distinguished - BHPian

Love the Roplas HT.
Gives an FJ40 feel. If I am right, remember old Mahindras and Tempo Trades with this Hardtop had the curved glasses in the D pillar corners.

Looks like the Hardtop you have has the cutouts for the same.
Was the glass bit optional? Or a lost art? Or they simply don't make them anymore?

Anyhow. The Jeep looks awesome. Love the stance, tyres, lettering on the tyres and the stickering work.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 08:04   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Love the Roplas HT.
Gives an FJ40 feel. If I am right, remember old Mahindras and Tempo Trades with this Hardtop had the curved glasses in the D pillar corners.

Looks like the Hardtop you have has the cutouts for the same.
Was the glass bit optional? Or a lost art? Or they simply don't make them anymore?

Anyhow. The Jeep looks awesome. Love the stance, tyres, lettering on the tyres and the stickering work.
this is the jeep in action recovering duster sorry for the exited folks����

Last edited by ashwinvardhan : 27th August 2020 at 08:05.
Old 27th August 2020, 10:44   #289
Senior - BHPian

This is my 2018 Thar with a Bimbra top I put on it at Bimbra's Gurgaon Shop 1/4/2019.

The rear door is one piece with the tailgate. It has its own lock and key which is provided with the door. The door swings out with the tailgate.

No leaks, no squeaks after two monsoons parked outside full time. I'm as happy as a clam with my late 2018 Thar and my Bimbra hard top. Quieter, cleaner inside since I put on the top. Every once in awhile something in India actually works! Now, for that vaccine...
Attached Thumbnails
The most practical & best looking Hardtop - Mahindra Thar-dsc02494.jpeg  

The most practical & best looking Hardtop - Mahindra Thar-dsc02492.jpeg  

DirtyDan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 20:47   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream1188 View Post
I got in touch with Bimbra, they directed me to Vin 4x4 Hardtops and called them their Bangalore dealer. The mould for the fibre glass is from Bimbra but the FRP hardtop is fabricated by Vin 4x4
Reviving an old thread. How is this HT holding now? Any leaks? I am talking with vin4x4 about shipping it to me. I liked the designs and will mostly go with fiber V2. If you don't mind, could you upload some interior pics?
Old 19th December 2020, 20:10   #291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
I liked the designs and will mostly go with fiber V2. If you don't mind, could you upload some interior pics?
Here's my two rupees worth. Here in India you can upholster the ceiling of a hard top, for a good low price or you can leave it alone.

I upholstered my 2013s inside top and added a nicer dome light (First Pic). On my 2018 with its Bimbra top, I haven't touched it yet...may do so in the near future. The last two pics are my 2018 with the Bimbra top. They show how the ceiling looks without upholstering. Its "utilitarian" looking...I was pressed for time and did not have Bimbra spruce up the ceiling and interior. I may add some nicer seats, captains seats...and leave the rest alone. We shall see. Bimbra did a nice job on the install. No leaks, no squeeks after almost 2 years. This Thar is kept outside, no cover at all.
Attached Thumbnails
The most practical & best looking Hardtop - Mahindra Thar-version-2.gif  

The most practical & best looking Hardtop - Mahindra Thar-dsc01885.jpeg  

The most practical & best looking Hardtop - Mahindra Thar-dsc01886.jpeg  

DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 20:03   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
The last two pics are my 2018 with the Bimbra top. They show how the ceiling looks without upholstering. Its "utilitarian" looking...I was pressed for time and did not have Bimbra spruce up the ceiling and interior. I may add some nicer seats, captains seats...and leave the rest alone. We shall see. Bimbra did a nice job on the install. No leaks, no squeeks after almost 2 years. This Thar is kept outside, no cover at all.
To be honest, it doesn't look too bad. I can live with it. Thanks Dan.
I plan to keep the seats as it is. My main goal is to have some security and lockable area that doesn't leak. I'm glad these Bimbra designs are holding up well.
Old 12th April 2021, 20:07   #293
BHPian

Nine years and 65,000 km later, the Italian Hard Top has withstood the test of time!

The most practical & best looking Hardtop - Mahindra Thar-jeep-crd.jpg
cpbopanna is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 13:57   #294

Has anyone gone in with the modification on the new thar to make the hardtop to convertible where the fron panel can be taken off
Old 12th August 2021, 02:06   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhijitRay View Post
Has anyone gone in with the modification on the new thar to make the hardtop to convertible where the fron panel can be taken off
I have seen a video or two with Bimbra Hardtop with sunroof/moonroof on the front panel.
https://indianauto.com/stories/mahin...-video-nid9370
Old 13th August 2021, 06:55   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I purposely stayed away from removable panels and sun roofs due to rain and leak concerns. The monsoon clouds pile up on the front range here in Dharamsala and we get rain like you would not believe. A leaky top is a real pain to fix and a major annoyance.
Old 13th August 2021, 11:29   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I purposely stayed away from removable panels and sun roofs due to rain and leak concerns. The monsoon clouds pile up on the front range here in Dharamsala and we get rain like you would not believe. A leaky top is a real pain to fix and a major annoyance.
In my opinion a soft top is as good as a removable hard top as far as rain ingress is considered (and much easier to install and take off). A removable hard top is only good for safety of goods in the Jeep.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 23:28   #298
BHPian

Quote:
The hardtop provided in new Thar is FRP based which itself has limited life, trying to make it for more flexibility will result in other issues. I have seen lot many FRP based hardtop Thars leaking water like hell during the rains.

The option that you are looking for is provided in Jeep Wrangler sold in USA however in India have not come across anything like this till now apart from a few options from Bimbra any BYCULLA Jammu.
abhikb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 16:18   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Reviving an old thread. How is this HT holding now? Any leaks? I am talking with vin4x4 about shipping it to me. I liked the designs and will mostly go with fiber V2. If you don't mind, could you upload some interior pics?
I know it's too late to respond to this, but will still go ahead and respond for the benefit of others who might at some point require this information.
The FRP hardtop is a decent option only for very mild off-roading and on-road use. The installation quality also plays a very significant role in the longevity of the hardtop. (The job done on mine was pathetic)
My frp hardtop has just given up, I have used the vehicle for what it is built mild to heavy off-roading and the flex has taken its toll on the sealant along the body line.
The sealant has cracked at multiple places, the rear door has cracked (this is just a result of poor workmanship, not a design flaw).
Lot of wind noise creeps in from the sealant cracks and constant squeaks are normal.
I have decided to do away with the frp and have gone ahead with a metal hard top now fabricated by PRAD 4X4. This has been one of the best-looking hardtops and also takes abuse well. ( I am in no way associated with PRAD, only voicing my opinion after seeing a lot of thars with various hardtops)

Attaching a few pics of how the frp aged for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
The most practical & best looking Hardtop - Mahindra Thar-img_0645.jpg  

The most practical & best looking Hardtop - Mahindra Thar-img_0648.jpg  

The most practical & best looking Hardtop - Mahindra Thar-img_0649.jpg  

The most practical & best looking Hardtop - Mahindra Thar-img_0650.jpg  

The most practical & best looking Hardtop - Mahindra Thar-img_0652.jpg  

The most practical & best looking Hardtop - Mahindra Thar-img_0653.jpg  

The most practical & best looking Hardtop - Mahindra Thar-img_0654.jpg  

The most practical & best looking Hardtop - Mahindra Thar-img_0657.jpg  

Old 23rd November 2022, 01:22   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream1188 View Post
I know it's too late to respond to this, but will still go ahead and respond for the benefit of others who might at some point require this information.
The FRP hardtop is a decent option only for very mild off-roading and on-road use. The installation quality also plays a very significant role in the longevity of the hardtop. (The job done on mine was pathetic)
My frp hardtop has just given up, I have used the vehicle for what it is built mild to heavy off-roading and the flex has taken its toll on the sealant along the body line.
The sealant has cracked at multiple places, the rear door has cracked (this is just a result of poor workmanship, not a design flaw).
Lot of wind noise creeps in from the sealant cracks and constant squeaks are normal.
I have decided to do away with the frp and have gone ahead with a metal hard top now fabricated by PRAD 4X4. This has been one of the best-looking hardtops and also takes abuse well. ( I am in no way associated with PRAD, only voicing my opinion after seeing a lot of thars with various hardtops)

Attaching a few pics of how the frp aged for reference.
Thanks. Yes it has indeed been late but no worries because the update on experience matters a lot. I went ahead with Vin4x4 FRP HT for our Thar. As opposed to what they promised, the HT needs a lot of modifications done and is not a straight fit. On top of that, we installed the HT right in our house, a complete DIY operation and took almost a month to get it right. It was an experience of a lifetime. I don’t think I’ll ever do it again.

Anyway, the top needed lot of sanding, grinding, cutting (especially ill fitting rear door) and front portion of the HT that goes above drivers head. What was not told to us was that the rear seats don’t fit with this HT - they need to be moved a little and screwed into new holes. You also lose head room. None of that was included in the communication with Vin.

The sealant bottles sent to us were all expired long ago. The plates that hold the HT in place from inside were horribly engineered and rusty. The glass cutouts were incorrect. I spent hours sanding the cutouts until glass pieces fit snuggly.

That front portion of the HT is held into position by aforementioned plates. My dad who was an engineer from old times saw it and immediately declared this thing is not going to hold if it hits a pothole. To take care of that, we drilled extra holes just above the windshield and fastened the HT there too.

Every drilled hole, edges where HT touched the body, all contact patches we filled up with black industrial grade silicone paste.

Despite all this home grown engineering, the sides of HT which are supposed to fit snug (just behind doors) never did so. To fill that gap, to stop dust and avoid any rattles we inserted tapered foam cut to shape into it.
This rear portion of HT is also held in place by absolutely poor quality angular plates from inside. After fitting those we discovered that those support plates were vastly inadequate. So to bolster it, we drilled extra holes from outside the body (above rear wheel arch) and screwed the top with titanium M8 bolts all around.

Finally the rear door and OMG. The less I say the better about it. We probably spent a week just to fit that damn thing. Even then, when we poured water on top it entered inside from top of the door. To deflect water, I got an L shaped plate and cut it to length of the door. On the ends of that plate, we got some little channels made and installed to let water drip from sides. This solution worked rather well, to our surprise. Additionally, 3mm sticky foam strips were installed all around the ridge where door fits into place. These strips stopped dust, smoke and extra noise.

I am sure I am missing a lot of other hacks we had to do. Sorry for a long post sounding like a rant but I have been wanting to do it for very long time and your reply just made me do it.

So how’s it holding, you may ask? Answer is: fabulously. The Jeep looks fantastic. No creaks, no squeaks. Took it to my usual mechanics and they all said this couldn’t have turned out any better even if you got it done from a body shop.

But will I buy anything from Vin4x4? Not a chance in hell. That HT turned out great because all the sweat we put in.

75k for such abysmal, poorly engineered product? You got to be kidding me. We put efforts worth 75k grinding the thing.
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks