Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2013, 21:25   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Ford F250 4x4 Diesel Truck

North America is a different planet. They have roads there. I have had the good fortune to have owned two 4x4 Ford SuperDuty pickup trucks, a year 2000 7.3 liter monster and
a 2004 6.0 liter. I used these to visit remote computer sites across North America. Each 7000lbs+ truck generated about 300 hp and could cruise at 125kph all day long, all week long without a burp. You sit high above the rest of the traffic. You get respect on the road and if your wife throws you out of the house its a good second home. Simply a joy to drive.
DirtyDan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th July 2013, 20:36   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
North America is a different planet. They have roads there. I have had the good fortune to have owned two 4x4 Ford SuperDuty pickup trucks, a year 2000 7.3 liter monster and
a 2004 6.0 liter. I used these to visit remote computer sites across North America. Each 7000lbs+ truck generated about 300 hp and could cruise at 125kph all day long, all week long without a burp. You sit high above the rest of the traffic. You get respect on the road and if your wife throws you out of the house its a good second home. Simply a joy to drive.
Dan you are absolutely correct. The roads and 95% anywhere you go is capable to handing these trucks. Even my home garage can accommodate parking of my truck indoors. It is amazing how much respect and admiration these trucks command on the road. There is not a stop where people will not comment on the truck and ask you how do you like it. You will also meet people who will ask you why do you drive such a big truck

My previous SuperDuty truck was 2002 Crew Cab 7.3 and I loved that truck.

================================================== ============

In another update: Now I have over 6000 miles (9000 kms) on the truck. So it was time for a first oil change. I changed the oil with Rotella Full Synthetic T6 5W40 and changed the oil filter with OEM Motorcraft filter. The truck takes almost 13 liters of oil. Happy to report i was able to change the oil without too much mess and recycled the old oil at local Walmart. I also took the truck in at my local tire shop for tire rotation and balance. It was amazing how big the tires look off the truck. The shop also help the truck in re-learning the air pressure sensors. So it can accurately tell you which tire is low if it is ever low.

Last edited by Gujarati : 6th July 2013 at 20:54.
Old 23rd July 2013, 23:36   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gujarati View Post

My previous SuperDuty truck was 2002 Crew Cab 7.3 and I loved that truck.
In another update: Now I have over 6000 miles (9000 kms) on the truck. So ......which tire is low if it is ever low.
Are you back from your CO adventure? You were both 350 and Wrangler weren't you?
Old 25th July 2013, 08:58   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Are you back from your CO adventure? You were both 350 and Wrangler weren't you?
Sorry buddy I did not understand the which tire low comment nor I get if I am both 350 and wrangler!!

I am yet to leave for my Colorado adventure though. I have been busy with work and I leave this Friday morning. Trailer is already hooked up to the truck as I had to go get new tires on the trailer. I got some real upgrade on trailer tires to make sure I can tow real good at all speeds without any blow outs. Trailer tires were upgraded from 205/75/15 C Rated load range 1830 lbs bias-ply to 225/75/15 E Rated load range 2830 Radial tires. Little overkill but it will keep the tires from heating up in Texas heat.

We have 16 Jeeps with us headed to Colorado; I will be with a small 4-5 Jeep in convo. Most everybody in that convo will be towing. Will post pics not sure if I should start a report or just post it here?

Last edited by Gujarati : 25th July 2013 at 09:00.
Old 25th July 2013, 09:33   #50
Senior - BHPian

Enjoy your trip to Colorado mate, look forward to lots of pics and a detailed review!
Maverick5490 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2013, 18:24   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry buddy I did not understand the which tire low comment nor I get if I am both 350 and wrangler!!

I am yet to leave for my Colorado adventure though. I have been busy with work and I leave this Friday morning. Trailer is already hooked up to the truck as I had to go get new tires on the trailer. I got some real upgrade on trailer tires to make sure I can tow real good at all speeds without any blow outs. Trailer tires were upgraded from 205/75/15 C Rated load range 1830 lbs bias-ply to 225/75/15 E Rated load range 2830 Radial tires. Little overkill but it will keep the tires from heating up in Texas heat.

We have 16 Jeeps with us headed to Colorado; I will be with a small 4-5 Jeep in convo. Most everybody in that convo will be towing. Will post pics not sure if I should start a report or just post it here?
my bad, I meant to ask if you were towing the Wrangler in the 350
I'm sure it needs a thread for itself. Have fun.
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2013, 18:45   #52
Senior - BHPian

Gujarati,

A W E S O M E - Both, your Ford and the guns!!!

Please do keep updating your thread with more on your trips and gun collection.

Congratulations and all the best mate!
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2013, 10:17   #53
BHPian

Heading out tomorrow morning.
Attached Thumbnails
My Ford F250 4x4 Diesel Truck-loaded-2.jpg  

Gujarati is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th July 2013, 10:21   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Heading out tomorrow morning.
Now thats a sight to Behold! Awesome rides and beautiful homes in the background! Cheers buddy!
Maverick5490 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2013, 11:27   #55
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely awesome stuff there Gujarati!

I've never imagined a Gujubhai (if you're indeed one) to own, live and represent a monster towing truck, a 4X4 AND some top notch shooting gear in the US. That image just doesn't somehow fit to my mind. But you sir, you've done it all!

Respect your passion and how you go about doing it! I hope more Indian families join you in this endeavor - I know I would if I could!

Thread rated FIVE stars.

Last edited by 9thsphinx : 26th July 2013 at 11:28.
9thsphinx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2013, 11:18   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
Absolutely awesome stuff there Gujarati!

I've never imagined a Gujubhai (if you're indeed one) to own, live and represent a monster towing truck, a 4X4 AND some top notch shooting gear in the US. That image just doesn't somehow fit to my mind. But you sir, you've done it all!

Respect your passion and how you go about doing it! I hope more Indian families join you in this endeavor - I know I would if I could!

Thread rated FIVE stars.
Yes 100% purebred guju :-) thank you for the kind words!!

Update from the trip apparently my truck does not like the Rotella full synthetic oil I put in. After starting my trip and finishing 400 miles I realized that the fuel economy had dropped by 20% or so; even though user manual states this is perfectly acceptable oil.
After struggling with trying to figure out why the truck was not giving as good a fuel economy as my last trip towing I came to a conclusion I needed to change the oil immediately even though the new oil only had about 800 miles on it. I found OEM oil at a parts store in a tiny town I was passing thru but due to the off highway nature of the route not a whole lot of mechanic shops. I had to make a decision to get dirty myself. I found a big transport truck service center willing to lend me some space and use of their equipment such as funnel, drain pan, some disposable rags and hand cleaning supply. I always carry some basic tools with me.
I had some tarp to lay down on and my father in law who is visiting from India and is with me on this trip helped in what ever way he could. He is such a great sport. After changing the oil the fuel economy returned to normal immediately. This is strange. I have never experienced this in my life before that little thicker oil would rob the mileage by such a great amount.
Attached Thumbnails
My Ford F250 4x4 Diesel Truck-image3086562229.jpg  

My Ford F250 4x4 Diesel Truck-image3938726790.jpg  

Last edited by Gujarati : 27th July 2013 at 11:21.
Gujarati is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th August 2013, 16:05   #57
BHPian

Here is a short video of truck towing the Jeep and the horns blowing as requested.
Gujarati is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th August 2013, 17:19   #58
Senior - BHPian

What a horn!!! Sounds great - need one for Indian roads surely
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2013, 17:23   #59
Senior - BHPian

Gujarati.....
Hi,

What are the requirements for obtaining a conceal carry permit for a handgun in Texas? Guess the regulations must be different state wise.

Great if you could share the above information.

Moderators - If this is considered off topic, please excuse.

Cheers
Old 5th August 2013, 08:16   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Gujarati.....
Hi,

What are the requirements for obtaining a conceal carry permit for a handgun in Texas? Guess the regulations must be different state wise.

Great if you could share the above information.

Moderators - If this is considered off topic, please excuse.

Cheers
Little too much info to type all up but here is a link where you can read everything.
https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/CHL/faqs/index.htm

Basically you have to first meet the eligibility requirements, take a class and pass the theory part along with 50 rounds of practical test at various distances. Once all this is done you have to make an application and pass the background check etc.
Gujarati is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed