Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2013, 18:55   #16
BHPian

re: One Life, Live it! It's a Land Rover. Never Over!

Hi CatchKumar,

Sure no problem. Its ready anytime and thanks for accepting the help offered. I remember in my earlier garage there was a land rover parked for many years. the owner was getting it rebuild and stopped it for some reason. If things work out in your favour it could be a donor vehicle for yours.

My previous mech has changed is mobile number, will go visit the place in person and try getting some useful information if possible.

Deepak
Old 30th March 2013, 08:37   #17
BHPian

Sudharshan & DB Sir,

As mentioned earlier this will be a restoration as directed by you all on the forum, i will only be executing as per the directions / guidance here. No second thoughts about it.

To get started this is what am planning - please do let me know if i should take different course of action.

1. Check & fix the basics - Radiator, coolant & Fan.
2. Fix the battery problem. (Thanks to Deepak :-))
3. Get the brakes fixed.
4. A through water wash & greasing job.
5. Get the spare wheel off the bonnet for ease of access.

The purpose of getting the above done is to ensure that i can drive the vehicle to any workshop around & not tow it (self dependency).

My first priority post this will be to source an engine & gear box in the following preference -
1. TDI 300 & R380 GB & Transfer case.
(Found 1 in mumbai but the guy is asking for 3L for engine & GB) - Need to look for other sources.
If the above doesn't work - I will try & source a Series GB & transfer case. Already have some leads but which engine can i mate it to is the question ?
2. If option 1 doesn't work - I guess there is one of our forum members who has a 200 TDI try to get it & mate it with the Series GB. (Again i would prefer a R380 GB)
3. If both the above fails then how about a CRDe Engine from MM with the GB & Transfer case of Thar.
4. Last option get the engine & GB of MM550.

Dilemma - If i scour hard i might be able to get a Series 3 Petrol engine & GB - Should i try this route ?
I want my LR to be a daily drive & am afraid this option will not be a feasible one personally however i will await you all to guide me.

No cool items Sudarshan sir.
I currently have a friend in UK who is coming back for good & set to land on 2nd May.
If there are some things i should get right now, i have the option to have him carry it.
Please do advice again on the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
Plus 1 to that

Absolutely correct , there is a difference in doing up the usual Jeep & the LR . Not that the either one is Superior or anything , but there is a huge difference in the method of working on them .

Land Rovers do take More time than one imagines ( or less even in few things )

DB Sir is right , observe it & make your decisions , lot of people will suggest you to spend on 'KOOL items , but that can be done anytime after the foundation is solidly built , that is setting up the vehicle to a basic running condition .
Sudarshan
Deepak - OMG - That would be the luckiest thing to happen, if we can get a donor vehicle. Hopefully One day we can get the donor vehicle too on road. This is sheer Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeClutch 4X4 View Post
Hi CatchKumar,

Sure no problem. Its ready anytime and thanks for accepting the help offered. I remember in my earlier garage there was a land rover parked for many years. the owner was getting it rebuild and stopped it for some reason. If things work out in your favour it could be a donor vehicle for yours.

My previous mech has changed is mobile number, will go visit the place in person and try getting some useful information if possible.

Deepak
Old 30th March 2013, 09:37   #18
BHPian

Nice landy there, looks really neat. Land rover 2.5L ENGINE is really nice, 300tdi is a lucky find though.

I heard these aluminium bodies are tuff to fix, keep it original.
Old 30th March 2013, 17:57   #19
BHPian

All the things we do, we do ultimately from the heart Go with it man, good luck with the restoration. Will keep checking back on this thread.
Old 31st March 2013, 15:05   #20
BHPian

Thanks Frankie,
Will try & keep it original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
Nice landy there, looks really neat. Land rover 2.5L ENGINE is really nice, 300tdi is a lucky find though.
I heard these aluminium bodies are tuff to fix, keep it original.
You BET. Thanks Angham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anghammarad View Post
All the things we do, we do ultimately from the heart Go with it man, good luck with the restoration. Will keep checking back on this thread.
Old 31st March 2013, 16:14   #21
BHPian

This was a scan from my LRO Magazine - Nov 2011.
Am greatly inspired by the look of this mean machine however am not too convinced to convert it to a tray back like below.

Ideally an extended cab with access from the front door will make it a family friendly off roader & practical.
All said & done the below machine is still mean. INSPIRING
Please advice.

Regards,
Kumar
Attached Thumbnails
One Life, Live it! It's a Land Rover. Never Over!-s2a1.jpg  

One Life, Live it! It's a Land Rover. Never Over!-s2a2.jpg  

One Life, Live it! It's a Land Rover. Never Over!-s2a3.jpg  

Last edited by catchkumar : 31st March 2013 at 16:15. Reason: adding text
catchkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2013, 17:19   #22
BANNED

Re: One Life, Live it! It's a Land Rover Never Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchkumar View Post
Sudharshan & DB Sir,

As mentioned earlier this will be a restoration as directed by you all on the forum, i will only be executing as per the directions / guidance here. No second thoughts about it.

To get started this is what am planning - please do let me know if i should take different course of action.

1. Check & fix the basics - Radiator, coolant & Fan.
2. Fix the battery problem. (Thanks to Deepak :-))
3. Get the brakes fixed.
4. A through water wash & greasing job.
5. Get the spare wheel off the bonnet for ease of access.

The purpose of getting the above done is to ensure that i can drive the vehicle to any workshop around & not tow it (self dependency).
Sounds Ok .

Quote:
My first priority post this will be to source an engine & gear box in the following preference -
1. TDI 300 & R380 GB & Transfer case.
(Found 1 in mumbai but the guy is asking for 3L for engine & GB) - Need to look for other sources.
The guy selling it does not seem to be serious . No point in this deal .

Quote:
2. If option 1 doesn't work - I guess there is one of our forum members who has a 200 TDI try to get it & mate it with the Series GB. (Again i would prefer a R380 GB)
My Dear friend , the GB is the most critical & troublesome to fix part in the whole of the Land Rover . its aluminium casing & when it becomes old ;

# The bearings seem to go loose in its position , so sleeving becomes a headache .

# Fixing leaks becomes a Task .

# Handling threads needs to be done carefully

SoDo not ever try to fit a series GB to any other engine for which it is not originally designed ( the 2.3 petrol ) & the 2.3 Diesel at max .

Quote:
3. If both the above fails then how about a CRDe Engine from MM with the GB & Transfer case of Thar.
The suspension & Particularly the brakes ( read weak ) & the steering geometry ( old = bit vauge ) wont allow anything higher bhp engine like the Thar CRDe . Its 100 bhp man .

Quote:
4. Last option get the engine & GB of MM550.
As I have suggested to many people , any engine from the MM family , which has around 60/70 bhp & up to 18 KGM max torque will be suitable for such purpose like yours . Going along with a KMT 90 GB & T 18 Transfer case will be the most Practical thing ( cost & maintenance wise )

Quote:
Dilemma - If i scour hard i might be able to get a Series 3 Petrol engine & GB - Should i try this route ?
Quote:
I want my LR to be a daily drive & am afraid this option will not be a feasible one personally however i will await you all to guide me.
1 Why not , but getting it done is a Task by itself , will test your patience .

2 Forgive me for some straight talk but , firstly Patience Dr Watson

# Mine IS a daily driver , but something or other ( may be a minor thing ) needs to be done once a while , similarly you need to be a DIY person to cope that aspect .

# Be a DIY , card money has NO place in daily things that creep under the carpet . For example you need to have a tin full of various nut-bolts ( Just like your mechanic has in his shop ) in the car .

# The series LR has become a collectors item with all its originality , better forget the daily use aspect . Particularly if you want to take it to office, or having some work pending to complete .

Unless you put a reliable Engine ,GB , TC combination

# To be continued , forgot what I wanted to type ........

Quote:
Deepak - OMG - That would be the luckiest thing to happen, if we can get a donor vehicle. Hopefully One day we can get the donor vehicle too on road. This is sheer Luck
Dont dive too deep unless you are sure of surfacing

Quote:

Ideally an extended cab with access from the front door will make it a family friendly off roader & practical.
How ever inspiring , dont even think of modifying a LR body -- you are lucky to get a good one , SAVE it .

Sudarshan

Disclaimer ; you can ignore my frank advises , but at the end you will find me right . I tend to give the safest advice , not adventures ones .

Last edited by Sudarshan : 31st March 2013 at 17:20.
Old 1st April 2013, 09:46   #23
BHPian

Thank you Sudharshan Sir,
I completely understand the stance you are taking.
Am happy that am able to get frank advice & i will stick to it.
I completly agree with you sir that the owner doesn't seem to be interested in selling the 300TDI.
No more thoughts on mating series GB to later engines.
I will start getting basic tools & try being a DIY Guy.

So the bottom line -
Option 1 - Look for an original engine (Petrol) & GB TC
Option 2 - Source a 2.5 Diesel engine & R380 GB TC
If above 2 fails - Get the 550's engine + KMT 90 GB & T18 TC

Sudharshan Sir - Should i wait for the engine, gb & drive train fixed before i proceed or should i strip the body & start work from the ground up on chassis - Please advice.

I do get carried away at times whenever i see good looking LR's.
The Land Rover Owner Magazine is the culprit for my escaped thoughts.
But straight talk & honest opinions help me come back to reality - Thanks again Sudharshan sir & will look forward to your guidance through the restoration.

Regards,
Kumar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
Dont dive too deep unless you are sure of surfacing
How ever inspiring , dont even think of modifying a LR body -- you are lucky to get a good one , SAVE it .
Sudarshan

Disclaimer ; you can ignore my frank advises , but at the end you will find me right . I tend to give the safest advice , not adventures ones .
Old 1st April 2013, 10:40   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Thank you Sudharshan Sir,
Bawa , please stop calling me Sir

Quote:
I will start getting basic tools & try being a DIY Guy.
Good one , but a tough thing to execute . Require to build a tool kit .

There is a thread about off road Tools at BHP

First tool for Landy is a Pop rivet gun ( will post a pic ) & a silicon sealant tube

Quote:
So the bottom line -
Option 1 - Look for an original engine (Petrol) & GB TC
Option 2 - Source a 2.5 Diesel engine & R380 GB TC
If above 2 fails - Get the 550's engine + KMT 90 GB & T18 TC
Voting for option 1 & 3

Quote:
or should i strip the body & start work from the ground up on chassis - Please advice.
Death Wish , Unless & untill absolutely required & ONLY IF there is no scope going ahead doing without it .

Do not ever think of dismantling the body from chassis , ask anyone who has done that , the Zillion No.s of nut-bolts , panels , rivets , shims ,pads , rubber packings , etc & etc will baffle you . Unless you have someone who has some experience with the Land Rover Body , keep it as a last option .

Now , can you please tell me ( again ) about the current setup WRT engine the GB with it & the TC ? I seemed to have missed it or forgotten about it or overlooked the info .

I think you sort it out mechanically first , this way you will become used to with this unusual machine & various niks & tricks of it . Then you go ahead with body work ,paint & cosmetics .

Sudarshan

Last edited by Sudarshan : 1st April 2013 at 10:42.
Old 1st April 2013, 11:36   #25

Re: One Life, Live it! It's a Land Rover. Never Over!

Hi CatchKumar:

Congrats on your new purchase. I had also looked into this LR and I remember contacting you for the same. I must say it is a rare find.

Meanwhile I also chanced upon a LR SIII. Would love to follow your thread. I am also looking for an engine and GB replacement and your inputs would be of great value.

Happy riding

Cheers,

Gobind
Old 1st April 2013, 16:48   #26
NMS
BHPian

Hi Catchkumar,

Many congratulations on your buy, Going by the excitement, I am sure the LR has found a worthy owner.

Now I am a complete noob here, Do not know a thing about Off Roading and LR's .
But love to read up some good information.
Never know what life might throw at you !!

Just one question that has popped up in my mind is, why would you want to change the Engine? From what I read earlier, the engine powers up fine and runs considerably well taking into account the age of the engine.. Or is it not in a condition considering the long haul ....

Is it more about the Chassis and other abilities of the LR that are of importance?

Sorry once again for Butting into the conversation, but thought I'd ask
Old 2nd April 2013, 11:15   #27
BHPian

Hi Kumar,
Just came across your thread. Great acquisition, Congrats!! You have a long road ahead but do not worry..Persevere... We are with you I have attached an article about a restoration of a landy in Mumbai. Of course that owner is a very high net worth individual and can do a lot of things..Hope it gives you some inspiration or ideas. All the best and keep all of us posted on the progress. I am from B'lore too, would be glad to help in any small way that i can...
Attached Thumbnails
One Life, Live it! It's a Land Rover. Never Over!-20130401_001.jpg  

One Life, Live it! It's a Land Rover. Never Over!-20130401_002.jpg  

One Life, Live it! It's a Land Rover. Never Over!-20130401_003.jpg  

car love is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2013, 16:35   #28
BHPian

http://www.idealengines.co.uk/landro...ne-gearbox.htm

Please write to them with your specifications, if you do not find it listed.

Regards,
Old 2nd April 2013, 16:57   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by car love View Post
=== I have attached an article about a restoration of a landy in Mumbai. Of course that owner is a very high net worth individual and can do a lot of things..Hope it gives you some inspiration or ideas. All the best and keep all of us posted on the progress. I am from B'lore too, would be glad to help in any small way that i can...
Yes the owners have done a commendable job & are enthusiasts of their own rank which is very rare & hard to find .Hoping to meet him some day .

This particular MH 01 M 526 , had a V 8 3.5 petrol engine .

Which had a FE of 1.5 city & 7.25 on highways ( tank empty to tank empty ,by drain plug method )

These are last known confirmed figures to me

Sudarshan

Last edited by Sudarshan : 2nd April 2013 at 17:12.
Old 2nd April 2013, 18:12   #30
BHPian

[/quote]
Prithvi Saar , please explain this , its been a question for me & others for Importing parts & How to . I mean the whole process right from identifying the part to ordering to payment to delivery

[/quote]

Log in to www.lrseries.com & register yourself with your address. Then sign-in, go to the section on your specific landy and start ordering the items into the cart. After you finish submit your order and they will send you an email with the quote. Please specifiy your freight options.

Once you get the quote, make the payment through your VISA card. THen your parts will come home, of course duty on them will be applicable which has to be paid by you.

I have been ordering parts from them since 2007.
Prithvi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed