Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2013, 11:47   #436
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Why I won't buy a Thar... booked Thar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
DB Sir - V521 is a myth. Let it remain so. It has come to point of making us tired.
Dear discoverwild / Vikram - you guys only wanted to know "what the hell is 521?". And now you guys only are tired of it. I also got tired of trying to convince people to go as near to 521 as CMVR would allow! CMVR does not stop you from giving an excellent stance and torpedo-like stability but there should be somebody to talk to, who is willing to listen to you (also understand), and who has the will to stand up there and do something!

Now look at the other end, the end users! - I have also got tired of trying to motivate you guys to become a force to reckon with! Look at one of my posts here. I have openly said, "Its all Talk, there is no Walk the Talk"! You guys did not even react. Come on now!

So, if both parties are like this, so be it!

Some Firang will come and sell something at 3 times the price, you guys will go all gaga over him! Sorry for being frank and realistic! I rest my case!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

PS - Vinod - .
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th June 2013, 11:52   #437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
My question to those who do not want to buy Thar.....what would you buy? Not build but buy? Make VFM vs performance comparisons and not include mythicalyetobeintroducedandpriced beasts.
Only other choice for SWB 4x4 is Gurkha, which from reports is not much of a choice especially if you want a BS4 machine. All the other offerings are LWB SUV priced much ahead of the Thar - starting at 10L+ for the Scorpio LX to 28L for Fortuner/Pajero ending at 125L for the G500, hence Thar at 8L seems to be a bargain.

If people think that the Jeep Rubicon is competition, then the fact that it is $25K in US (Sport S), which will translate to $50k+ in India (30L at today's rates) will be a big damper.
Old 24th June 2013, 12:04   #438
Senior - BHPian

Not really, the Jeep Wrangler with the 4 Cyl diesel engine will be launched more likely at 14 to 16 lakhs.
Old 24th June 2013, 12:14   #439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear discoverwild / Vikram - you guys only wanted to know "what the hell is 521?". And now you guys only are tired of it. I also got tired of trying to convince people to go as near to 521 as CMVR would allow! CMVR does not stop you from giving an excellent stance and torpedo-like stability but there should be somebody to talk to, who is willing to listen to you (also understand), and who has the will to stand up there and do something!

Now look at the other end, the end users! - I have also got tired of trying to motivate you guys to become a force to reckon with! Look at one of my posts here. I have openly said, "Its all Talk, there is no Walk the Talk"! You guys did not even react. Come on now! So, if both parties are like this, so be it!

Some Firang will come and sell something at 3 times the price, you guys will go all gaga over him! Sorry for being frank and realistic! I rest my case!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

PS - Vinod - .
DB Sir,

Get us a solid axle Thar MDi with a similar track as the Crde (54" or 57"), decent seats, better build and the soft top of the Crde at the current price of the MDi and you will find many people who will walk the talk, me included. Please note that I have not asked for AC, better tyres, snorkel, a bigger engine or a even a diff-guard.

Whenever we have ranted about the Thar, you have raved about the 521 and have used CMVR as an excuse. When we build our Jeeps, you ask us not to do Jugaad work. We appreciate your concern but also would like to tell you that guys like Arka, Fazal and others are much better at their Jugaad than Mahindra guys at their factory with their so-called precision machinery.

You still are an inspiration to many of us for your commitment, sadly, the same does not hold true for Mahindra.

The 521 is a myth as we do not have bottomless pockets and endless hours to go realize it after burning our balances on the current contraption, whereas you had the luxury of experimenting to your heart's content.
discoverwild is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2013, 12:35   #440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Not really, the Jeep Wrangler with the 4 Cyl diesel engine will be launched more likely at 14 to 16 lakhs.
The least expensive Jeep
http://www.jeep.com/hostc/bmo/CUJ201...2TB/summary.do
with AC and soft top and Petrol Engine.
comes to $24,685 say $25K ~ Rs.15L
add 100% customs etc and you get 30L.
so I do not think that you will get it at Rs.16L ever.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2013, 13:03   #441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
My question to those who do not want to buy Thar.....what would you buy? Not build but buy? Make VFM vs performance comparisons and not include mythicalyetobeintroducedandpriced beasts.
Very good question - If it had an answer the THAR would not sell even 10% of what it is today

Quote:
Sirjee, the problems above are beyond the scope of this forum IMHO.

Quote:
Now look at the other end, the end users! - I have also got tired of trying to motivate you guys to become a force to reckon with! Look at one of my posts here. I have openly said, "Its all Talk, there is no Walk the Talk"! You guys did not even react. Come on now!
I have done it many times over, even before the THAR was born. The THAR vehicle is yet to prove its mettle against the "juggad" modified vehicles in this country, so lets move on, shall we?

Again, I repeat, today THAR has the numbers on its side as there is no other alternative in the segment it is in. Let other manufacturer come in this space and it will be interesting to see the game change.

Last edited by headers : 24th June 2013 at 13:05.
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2013, 13:19   #442
BHPian

Quote:

So, if both parties are like this, so be it!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

PS - Vinod - .

Unfortunately its some customers like me who are still defending what they drive, the Thar, one because we spent money buying it, and secondly the other options available like the Gurkha etc look like imitation Chinese plastic toys. And Maruti never cared to glance over its shoulders on the Step Child called Gypsy. And the Tata Sumo 4X4 is something that the dealerships have not heard about and those who have heard about it say its BS3 so people like me cant drive in in the NCR Region.

Its some crazy people like us who are driving the Thar and resounding the same on this Thread... rest of all is just beating around the bush...leave
alone talk or even walk the talk.

I mean why the hell doest poeple come up with solutions to the problems articulated in this thread and threads related to the Thar? Frankly speaking i see very less of that.
iMASKARAN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2013, 13:27   #443
BHPian

Hi,

Just wanted to share something that i have just seen.
Was on a trip to Jaipur (the highway is still horrible), Ajmer and Salaser this weekend.
The police were zipping around on white Di Thar's, they(The Thars) were being driven effortlessly at over 110 km/hr speed.
We were doing 110 or so in my CRDE Bolero. It seems like the institutional sales are really high of the Di.
Isn't there a way to make it meet the emission norms of the metros?
Wouldn't that make things sweeter for the buyer (cheaper, so more change left to play with+solid axle).
Mods:Please feel free to delete this if it isn't making any sense.

Regards,
Chaunfa
chaunfa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2013, 13:43   #444
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
1. You still are an inspiration to many of us for your commitment, sadly, the same does not hold true for Mahindra. 2. We do not have bottomless pockets and endless hours to go realize it after burning our balances on the current contraption, whereas you had the luxury of experimenting to your heart's content.
Dear discoverwild - as usual, I have put numbers 1 and 2 for your statements.

For the first part of sentence 1, thank you for your kind words, I humbly accept your comments and reciprocate the same feelings for all you wonderful 4WD lovers out there! For the second part of sentence 1, what can I say! Enjoy!

For your sentence 2, yes, even I did not have money, so I took the best option (on a platter) and I realized my dream! Perfect, naa? I live my life on my terms, my friend. My next step is to buy one at my price (secondhand of course, I don't want to pay silly EMIs), then rally style half body, and then, vroom vroom! HaHaHa![/u]

Dear Vikram - for someone else to come in, this one is not for the faint hearted, not if you want it at a mouth-watering target selling price, and when everything will be required to be done in hours, not years! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by GTO : 25th June 2013 at 14:40. Reason: Please avoid references to high speeds. Thanks!
Old 24th June 2013, 15:32   #445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post

Again, I repeat, today THAR has the numbers on its side as there is no other alternative in the segment it is in. Let other manufacturer come in this space and it will be interesting to see the game change.
No one else will come in this space at the expected price level.

No one else has the Jeep body (at this price)

Not enough volumes

No one else has the image, sales or service network (Even if at the extreme end of optimism, considering Maruti launches a revamped Gypsy, it would not be able to plug all the holes left by the Thar!!)

A company would rather launch a 'Mini SUV' and bring in more sales with lesser headache, rather than cater to a finicky niche!!

Iam just wondering, why isn't M&M considering marrying Thar and Bolero and launch a Bolero cub (or a Tharster a la Jeepster)
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2013, 16:47   #446
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
No one else will come in this space at the expected price level. No one else has the Jeep body (at this price). Not enough volumes. No one else has the image, sales or service network.
Dear mallumowgli - don't be too sure about it! There is a will, so there is a way! Life is abundantly wonderful just now, I'm lovin' it! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th June 2013, 18:21   #447
BHPian

Quote:

Dear mallumowgli - don't be too sure about it! There is a will, so there is a way! Life is abundantly wonderful just now, I'm lovin' it! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Lemme guess,

2400 mm wheelbase.
Coil springs all four ends
Solid axle front
2.2 liter aluminum block engine 150 bhp.
Factory full body Ac , ps etc.

Life must be wonderful.
prabhuav is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th June 2013, 19:36   #448
BHPian

Quote:

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Well, that for sure is one good pointer on how we get what we wish for!! Please give us more details DB!!
When should jeepers start celebrating?!?!
Old 24th June 2013, 22:09   #449

Having driven a friend's Thar over the weekend, here are my 2 cents:
What you will love:
The Thar is a hoot to drive - we went literally across the fields in front of my house and up and down a small hillock (gravel road all the way to the top) and no sweat at all. Fantastic driving position, torquey engine
What you wont love:
Crude finish, iffy brakes, rattly body, leaky soft top , non functioning hand brake, 4wd lever needs biceps of steel.
So my point is this: If you like off roading and do not have upwards of 25 L for the Fortuner class and if you don't have the mental strength and time and patience to build your own jeep (MM540 et al rebuilds) - this is the best compromise and the key word is compromise - unless and until some thing built better at the same price point comes along. No need therefore to bash M&M and associates - just pray to the 4wd gods and until then drive the compromise....
Vijaynidhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2013, 08:19   #450
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
Lemme guess,

2400 mm wheelbase.
Coil springs all four ends
Solid axle front
2.2 liter aluminum block engine 150 bhp.
Factory full body Ac , ps etc.

Life must be wonderful.
And it translates to, SWB Defender with Tata engine, costing 15 lakhs ex factory ?
Oh thats double the on road Thar CRDe

Its fit finish ? Leaks ?

Sudarshan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks