Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2013, 20:31   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Toyota Landcruiser 100 Series HDJ100

I have always been a die hard SUV/4WD fan. I guess this stems from the fact that we lived in a rural area and hailing from a family of planters, jeeps in various forms have been our main mode of transportation from my younger years. Eventually, I left the village and moved abroad, and was lucky enough to own a series of 4WD both soft and hard roaders. The off-roaders included an Isuzu Trooper, M-Class, and Toyota LC 100 series with 4.7L V8. Soft Roaders included Toyota RAV4 & Honda Pilot. When we decided to move back to India a few years back, I started doing research on which 4WD, SUV to buy within the 20 Lakhs budget and narrowed my choice down to used Pajero 2.8, Safari 4WD. Before, I could put my money down on any of these, I came across a Nissan Patrol being auctioned by the Australian High Commission and put in a bid for it. I was lucky enough to get it and was very thrilled and excited. However, I lived in chennai at that time and it was not practical to keep this vehicle as a daily drive. My wife had a Santro and we had only two parking spots in the apartment. The Nissan was too big to fit in the basement parking, and I had to end up parking it on the street. It was not practical to own and use such a large vehicle in the city. So, when I got a good offer, I sold it. After selling it I plonked cash down on a Mahindra Scorpio VLX 4x4. In hindsight a very stupid move, I should have just kept the Patrol and bought a hatch to punter around in the city. But anyways what was done was done and I had to live with the bumpy ride of the scorpio for 3 long years.

A few months back I saw an 80 Series listed in the 4x4India face book page, but asking price was was in the 100 series range. I was just casually discussing with fellow team-bhpinan jyoeb and he told me that there was a 100 series in excellent condition and owners where asking 18 Lacks a few months back. He offered to call them and find out if it is still available. As luck would have it, he called me back and said it is. So off we went and did some hard bargaining. I don't really want to list the price on the forum but let's just say that it was a good deal. So, I immediately let go of my Scorpio and picked up the LC100.

Let me start with the Tech Specs before I go onto the review.
2001 TLC HDJ101 (100 Series) 4.2 Liter Turbo/Intercooled Diesel. (101 is nomenclature given to Japanese spec vehicles).
Engine: 1HDFTE. Power: 205 bhp/3,400rpm. Torque of 44kgm/1,800rpm. Torque Curve is almost flat & peak Torque is avl from 1400 rpm.
Automatic Transmission: A442F 4-speed electronically controlled automatic overdrive (ECT) with second-gear start mode and power mode
Gear Ratios:
1 => 2.95
2 => 1.53
3 => 1.00
4 => .765
R => 2.678

Body construction Unitized steel body on 9-member ladder frame
Drivetrain Full-time 4-wheel-drive system with locking center differential
Suspension Independent double-wishbone front suspension with torsion bar springs and stabilizer bar; 4-link rear suspension with coil springs, stabilizer bar and semi-floating axle
Steering Engine speed-sensing power-assisted rack-and-pinion
Turning circle diameter -- curb to curb (ft.) 39.7

Brakes Power-assisted 4-piston front/2-piston rear ventilated disc brakes with hydraulic brake booster with Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist [1]; ABS operates in high and low ranges

Off-Road
Skid plates On front suspension, fuel tank and transfer case
Angle of approach/departure/breakover (degrees) 31/24/24
Minimum running ground clearance (in.) 9.8 / 249 mm
Rear axle ratio 4.10:1
Transfer case ratios -- 2-speed (high/low) 1.0:1/2.488:1

Capacities
Curb weight: 2440 kgs
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating -- 3110 kgs
Payload: 666 kgs
Cargo volume (cu. ft.) behind front/middle/rear seats 90.8/39.2/20.8
Towing capacity: 3 Tons
Fuel Tank Capacity 100 Liters

Engine/Transmission/Suspension:
The 100 Series come with Independent Front Suspension with Torsion Bar & 5 link coil springs at the back. It also has Rack & Pinion Steering hence from an off-road perspective it is not as good as the 80 Series, but it offers many advantages over the 80 series, making the trade off well worth it. To start with it has a kick ass version of the 1HD-FT engine with Turbo/Intercooler and Electronic Fuel pump (1HD-FTE). This engine is good for 205 bhp and 430 NM Torque. These numbers may seem trivial in today's scenario but remember this vehicle was launched in 2001 and it was excellent numbers for it's times. Even now, our Indian manufacturers are afraid to cross the 175 bhp Lakshmana Rekha. Besides the more powerful engine, it also offers much better handling and comfort compared to the 80 Series. It will do 90% of what the 80 series does without breaking a sweat. The peak torque of 430 NM is available from 1400 RPM. The Torque Curve is flat. I have been getting an average mileage of about 8 to 8.5 kilometers with mixed usage. This vehicle comes with a dual battery set up, i.e two 12 volt batteries.

Automatic Transmission is a boon and I am glad that this came with the A442F 4 Speed Auto. This automatic is from a a Toyota bus. It is a very heavy duty robust unit. It holds 14 liters of ATF, so you can imagine the size !!. However, it is a bit slow to shift in regular mode. There is a power mode that I use when climbing hills or driving in a spirited manner. The automatic transmission to some extend reduces the burden of driving this vehicle around the city.

Car is very stable even at 140 to 160 kmph speeds. I am not pushing it beyond 120 kmph until I get my new set of tyres, which by the way costs about Rs. 13,500 each !!

Interiors/Comfort
The interiors are classic Toyota. Very functional and very simple. There is ample space to store stuff in the huge box between the seats, however, the cup holders are very shallow and you can't really keep any bottles in there, without tipping over. The door pockets are also too small to hold bottles. So basically this is a humongous SUV with no space for a 1 liter bottle of water :-). The dash has all the essential gauges that are missing in modern vehicles including volt meter, oil pressure gauge etc. Besides it has a plethora of warning lamps for diagnostics. The AC is a simple climate control unit controlled by dials. The system is the OEM non standard double DIN unit which has a tape deck and CD that doesn't play MP3s so ICE will definitely need to be upgraded. Overall, it is a very simple & functional interiors. It doesn't look luxurious by today's standards, However, the essentials are all there and I am quite happy with it. The seats and spaced inside is just huge and kids got enough space inside so they don't end up fighting with each other. The only think that I miss really is a bottle holder.

I was lucky to get a vehicle in such good condition. Mechanically it was 99%. There was some minor cosmetic blemishes and few issues like shock absorber bushes etc that had to addressed. I was initially concerned about getting parts for this vehicle but as I did my research I found that getting parts is very easy for this vehicle. The easiest and obviously most expensive is to take it to the Toyota Dealer. Toyota Dealer's generally service imported Toyotas and they will also source the required parts from abroad for you. The second option is to pick it up from Sood Motors in Delhi. The cheapest option is to source it directly from Dubai as this is a very popular model there. I ended up sourcing all the parts required from the Toyota authorized parts distributor in Sharjai, UAE. I send all the part numbers and he had most of it. A few parts he didn't have, he got it for me from Japan. I was surprised at how good Toyota's parts inventory and spares support is. For example, my car came with a non standard double DIN System. So if I put a standard double DIN there would be a gap on the sides. I knew that in some markets, this came with a Standard double DIN system so I found the part number and the Sharjah dealer sourced me the dash plate that takes a standard double DIN. Every part was just so easy to source.

Before I started using the vehicle, I sourced all Mobile oils and did complete change of Automatic Transmission Fluid (Dexron II), Engine Oil, Transfer Case Oil, Front & Rear Diff oils. The power steering fluid, & Brake Fluid had been changed by the previous owner recently, so I left that. I sourced the timing belt, pulley & tensioner from Toyota in Sharjah. I checked the timing belt and it was in good condition so I left it for now and thought I will change it after another 20K kilometers. I didn't drop that PAN for oil or AT fluid as Toyota recommends a FIPG silicon gasket which is avl only at the dealer. I didn't want to use Indian stuff as the corrosive properties of AT fluid is much higher than engine oil. There are a few minor things pending such as installing system, adding third row seats etc which I plan to get done over the next couple of weeks.

I have done a couple of long trips and covered 4500 kilometers so far and this is my assessment. The 100 series is very comfortable. My tyres are very old and hence quite stiff, but other than that the car soaks up bad roads very well. Because of the wide track and narrower body, there is hardly any body roll/rocking that was a big problem with my Scorpio. Mine is a 5 seater version with a stove (non working) at the back. So I need to pick up a third row seat and install it as well.

Another very nice thing about this model is that it has such a huge fan following globally and there are many forums dedicated to just the Landcruiser series and it is a huge wealth of information. Everything thing from major to minor mods are described in detail with pictures. I was also able to get the Original Toyota Workshop/Repair/Service manual on CD from Australia ebay.

Overall, I am very happy with the vehicle, except for the size. It is a monster to lug around and whenever, I am using it in the city, I think that maybe I will sell it and get something smaller. However, when I hit the highway, I just absolutely love it, but then again, if I get an offer above 16 Lakhs, I will definitely think about it.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Landcruiser 100 Series HDJ100-lc1002.jpg  

Toyota Landcruiser 100 Series HDJ100-lc1003.jpg  

Toyota Landcruiser 100 Series HDJ100-lc1004.jpg  

Toyota Landcruiser 100 Series HDJ100-lc1005.jpg  

Toyota Landcruiser 100 Series HDJ100-lc1006.jpg  

Toyota Landcruiser 100 Series HDJ100-lc1007.jpg  

4x4addict is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 25th May 2013, 23:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Landcruiser 100 Series HDJ100

Congratulations Tini, that's a very clean piece you have got. Sometimes, I wonder, why on earth would someone like you buy a Scorpio. Good that you got rid of it.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2013, 01:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic buy, Congratulations. The vehicle seems to be in excellent condition. Enjoy driving the beast

BTW more pics, please, esp. interiors. It still remains one of my favorite SUV, the looks, the presence is just awesome.

Cheers,
Sameer
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2013, 13:50   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Man, you are L-U-C-K-Y! This is one of my all-time favourite SUVs. It's hard to find examples in such good condition.

If I were in the market for a sub-20 lakh SUV, I'd buy a pre-worshipped LandCruiser or Montero over a new Fortuner, Pajero Sport etc. any day. This is Toyota's flagship product & the depth of engineering is just mind blowing.

It's a true workhorse that is built to outlive the owner. Rule with a 100 Series is : Buy it once, keep it forever

By the way, there are some great deals on Landcruiser 200s. Bigger & bulkier yes, but for 1/2 the price, they're tempting.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th May 2013, 14:01   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Superb buy! Congrats !! The suspension in that car is simply amazing.
How many kms has it clocked? Do post pics of the interiors.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2013, 14:21   #6
BHPian

Congratulations!
The road presence provided by this Behemoth is matched by none.
If I am not wrong then the Landcruiser is the biggest SUV on roads right ? (does this include the Hummer too?)

I looked carefully but wasn't able to find even a single scratch anywhere on the car atleast from the pics. That's one well maintained vehicle.
Do post some interior pics too.

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2013, 14:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hi Tini,

What size tyres came on it ? 275/70/R16 or 275/60R17 ?
Which tyre is being quoted at Rs. 13,500 each ?
Dunlop Grandtrek seems to be the most suitable on it but I would love it if clad with the tyres I made for the LC 100 and 200 the Toyo Open COuntry Op/DH Dueler.

A few more questions :

Does it have a refrigerator unit under the centre console ?
Does it have a rear A/C button, 2 evaporators and rear air flow vents.
Can you please post some pictures of the interior arrangements.

With best regards,

Shahid

Toyota Landcruiser - King of the road.

It was my dream car.
I fulfilled my dream ( Thanks to God almighty )
It will always remain my dream car.
Looks like God almighty is going to give me a Landcruiser again.
Life is not worth it without a Landcruiser.

Last edited by desertfox : 27th May 2013 at 14:23.
desertfox is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2013, 23:43   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Sometimes, I wonder, why on earth would someone like you buy a Scorpio. Good that you got rid of it.
LOL bro. I hope that you have got all you benefits from Mahindra already

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Man, you are L-U-C-K-Y! This is one of my all-time favourite SUVs. It's hard to find examples in such good condition.

It's a true workhorse that is built to outlive the owner. Rule with a 100 Series is : Buy it once, keep it forever
Thanks bro. I was very excited initially but unfortunately we live in the wrong country for this SUV. It is too large to use on a a daily basis. Something that has to be kept for long trips only..
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
By the way, there are some great deals on Landcruiser 200s. Bigger & bulkier yes, but for 1/2 the price, they're tempting.
Yeah, I have been offered a 200 series with V8 diesel for 60L so I am very tempted, but I think a Montero or Prado is more ideal for our road conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Hi Tini,
What size tyres came on it ? 275/70/R16 or 275/60R17 ?
Which tyre is being quoted at Rs. 13,500 each ?
275/70/16 is the OEM size. 13.5K for Yoko Geolanders.

Quote:
Does it have a refrigerator unit under the centre console ?
Does it have a rear A/C button, 2 evaporators and rear air flow vents.
This is the Japanese spec vehicle. Japanese spec vehicles have the last zero of the model replaced by one. For example HDJ101 instead of HDJ100. HDJ81 instead of HDJ80. there is no refrigerator in the center console. The rear has only heater and no AC. However, I suppose the AC from the UAE spec version can be retrofitted for the rear.
Family has gone to Kerala on holiday. Will post interior pics once car is back home.
4x4addict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 00:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
LOL bro. I hope that you have got all you benefits from Mahindra already
Benefits never mattered, I was never a Scorpio fan, it never really appealed to me. In fact, I prefer the Bolero more to a Scorpio, XUV or a Xylo.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 11:02   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Benefits never mattered, I was never a Scorpio fan, it never really appealed to me. In fact, I prefer the Bolero more to a Scorpio, XUV or a Xylo. Spike
Dear Pratheesh and Tini - you are correct, I used Scorpio for 2 years and then got myself a Bolero VLX, then converted it to become the fastest Bolero in India. I enjoyed my Bolero much more than my Scorpio. I like this landcruiser but please protect the plastic bumpers in offroad situations!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 11:22   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Pratheesh and Tini - you are correct, I used Scorpio for 2 years and then got myself a Bolero VLX, then converted it to become the fastest Bolero in India. I enjoyed my Bolero much more than my Scorpio. I like this landcruiser but please protect the plastic bumpers in offroad situations!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Sir,

I used 3 boleros. GLX, DI Turbo 4wd and then SLX. Sold all 3 three and brought a scorpio DX CRDe and a VLX Mhwak.

Bolero was too bumpy for me.Scorpio is just a flight on no roads of kerala, especially to my native between Mysore to Nidumpoil.

See the roads & friends i frequented below.

While using Bolero ASC security guys,Area office CRM,Works managers,supervisors etc was my friend as i trouble them frequently, with Scorpio i

visits them ones in 2 months for a coffee!!.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Landcruiser 100 Series HDJ100-p1010008.jpg  

Toyota Landcruiser 100 Series HDJ100-p1010012.jpg  

Toyota Landcruiser 100 Series HDJ100-p1010013.jpg  

Toyota Landcruiser 100 Series HDJ100-p1010011.jpg  

Toyota Landcruiser 100 Series HDJ100-p1010030.jpg  

Toyota Landcruiser 100 Series HDJ100-p1010027.jpg  

Last edited by Rajith : 28th May 2013 at 11:43.
Rajith is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 13:35   #12
Senior - BHPian

There seems to be an advert on FB for this vehicle. Selling it off, so soon? If not for the size, why?
Old 28th May 2013, 13:42   #13
Senior - BHPian

Dhabhar Bhai,
One great mistake I made in my life or maybe the vehicle was not available was I bought a Bolero SLX DI Turbo 2008 model.

It has served me well, been almost everywhere, got stuck 2 times badly off road because it had no 4x4.

It is a practical car, where I can give it to my drivers. I do not give my Scorpio VLX 4WD MHawk to any driver, it is my personal drive car.

However the Bolero being economical and all, the ride quality is poor and often I am left in pain in lower back and butt after a long drive the road condition being what it is here in these parts.

How I wish it was convereted to 4x4.
Old 28th May 2013, 16:21   #14
BANNED

Quote:
How I wish it was convereted to 4x4.
DI 4x4 bolero slx - (I converted BOLERO DI 4wd into SLX spec in all aspects)

Drive in the front is very bumpy ,its like a horse ride.I sold it after 2 years of usage @ 40000kms,hundreds of ASC visits,phone calls, spending a fortune and time on it.

Its terribly under powered, came with a DELPHI Pumb and swapped to MICO by ASC due to poor pick up .
Old 28th May 2013, 16:23   #15
Senior - BHPian

It is already SLX, I wanted a 4x4 SLX how about an attempt to install 4WD in it ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks