Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2013, 14:48   #76
BHPian

Re: The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!

Amar - what is the update? I am guessing you would have installed all the parts by now?[/quote]

Congrats, Chetan. The vehicle looks great and, more importantly, you hit the trails!!!!! Well done. Re my vehicle, I got caught up with work and have not been following up. I am waiting for the front brake line extensions from BoltOn and then will be done. Will hopefully post some pictures this weekend.
Old 30th October 2013, 23:33   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom666 View Post
Front view with the Shackle Reverse in place ......
Hi,

I have a feeling that the perch should scrape if the aperture angle is low - More than the stock set up.
Old 30th October 2013, 23:56   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Hi,

I have a feeling that the perch should scrape if the aperture angle is low - More than the stock set up.
Do you mean the approach angle in the front because of the low hanging shackle? I actually did not face any issue in the OTR on Saturday but maybe I did not do anything extreme. Will keep an eye out for this.
Old 31st October 2013, 00:38   #79
BHPian

Help me out here guys as I am not very technically/mechanically inclined - A friend is coming down next month from the US. Will the 4:16 Low Range Gear kit work with my 1.6 Engine? Or is it a fit just for the 1.3? My vehicle currently has the 1.6 engine with the 1.3 King gearbox.

Hope for some help here from the experts before I go ahead and ask him to carry it with him.

http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/index...ase-gears.html

Also planning to order this bushing kit that apparently takes cares of the gears being stuck in neutral.

http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/index...and-bolts.html

And the Petroworks Performance Clutch
http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/index...utch-1881.html

Last edited by vroom666 : 31st October 2013 at 00:41.
Old 31st October 2013, 01:15   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

^^

It is installed in the gearbox, and not related to the engine. So, you can get yourself one of those. With the crawler, you will need only the diff-locks to complete your monster.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2013, 11:03   #81
BHPian

[/quote]

Chetan, review the Calmini crawler gearset as well. Vikram (Headers) has that on his Gypsy and it works beautifully. Apparently, installation is extremely easy with no major modifications required. Also, I ran Swastik shackles on my Gypsy for a while and faced no issues with approach angles.
Old 31st October 2013, 11:47   #82
BHPian

@vroom666 - Not sure how I missed your thread so far. Really love the mods you have done and really like the color you have repainted it. I subscribed to updates from your thread now.

@amardeepmd - Hi. Hope you remember me on Boag Road some months back in my red Thar.
Old 31st October 2013, 16:05   #83
BHPian

@amardeepmd - Hi. Hope you remember me on Boag Road some months back in my red Thar.[/quote]

Hi sjcherian,

Yes, I do remember you. Great to connect again here. Let us stay in touch.

Amar
Old 2nd November 2013, 13:38   #84
BHPian

Vehicle has gone to garage for some repair work. Getting the rear overhang shortened & some other minor

Noticed a problem - when I turn the wheel, the inner edge of the tyres seem to be touching the leaf springs. They do not touch the wheel well or the body - only the springs. Any clue why this might be happening?

Have asked Sanjay at the garage to check and he has initially suggested adding a leaf ... Would that actually make any difference or do I need to check for some other possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
... add the smallest leaf to the new one to see if it sorts out any negative camber...
Jaggu / Other Experts - any advice here that might help?
Old 4th November 2013, 13:20   #85
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Noticed a problem - when I turn the wheel, the inner edge of the tyres seem to be touching the leaf springs. They do not touch the wheel well or the body - only the springs. Any clue why this might be happening?
Did you change anything with the steering set up, you will have to correct the turn in's so that the tyres dont scrape. I guess mostly due to upsize of tyres. Another option is to use an offset rim which will push the tyres outside.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2013, 01:48   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Getting the rear overhang shortened & some other minor
Hi,

Can you please let me know what happens to the chassis number? Any solutions?

Quote:
Even with 235 tyres on stock Gypsy rims, the tyres will touch the leaf springs. Please do the preventive measures immediately, as it will eat up the tyres. The only option is to have negative offset wheels, or add a spacer. I would prefer the first option though. (For 235 tyres, slight offset is enough) .

Quote:
Have asked Sanjay at the garage to check and he has initially suggested adding a leaf ... Would that actually make any difference or do I need to check for some other possibility.
IMO, adding a leaf will only stiffen the suspension.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2013, 15:52   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you please let me know what happens to the chassis number? Any solutions?
Cant that piece of chassis be widened and rewelded over remaining chassis line. i have seen it somewhere, if done properly, it looks good. few of my friends who have shortened their Gypsies have kept that piece as a momento and for paper work.....

Shubhendra
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2013, 17:03   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Did you change anything with the steering set up, you will have to correct the turn in's so that the tyres dont scrape. I guess mostly due to upsize of tyres. Another option is to use an offset rim which will push the tyres outside.
Quote:
.. Can you please let me know what happens to the chassis number? ... ... The only option is to have negative offset wheels, or add a spacer. I would prefer the first option though. (For 235 tyres, slight offset is enough) .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
... Cant that piece of chassis be widened and rewelded over remaining chassis line...
I am wondering now if this was due to the Shackle Reverse. There was a front cross member in the SR kit which was a tight fit and the guys had fitted it with a little bit of banging and heavy pushing. This *might* have caused the springs to flex out a bit. I am going to try to remove this and see if it makes any difference. If it does then I might have to shorten the cross member by a couple of mm's, reweld and fix again.

In any case I guess my next best bet as you guys have said is a -ve offset wheel with the least possible offset as I do not want a big bulge out and dont want to take chances with the spacers.

And Shubhendra - Yes. The chassis number part will be rewelded as you correctly said.
Old 5th November 2013, 18:14   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am wondering now if this was due to the Shackle Reverse. ......
...........If it does then I might have to shorten the cross member by a couple of mm's, reweld and fix again......
Nope, this happens in normal Gypsys without shackle reversal. And, please do not alter the length of the cross members, it will seriously affect the chassis rigidity.
Old 5th November 2013, 19:33   #90
Team-BHP Support

Just go with offset wheels, don't tamper anything else if its working well. You will have major headaches ones you try to mod critical steering or suspension controls, best avoided.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks