Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2013, 00:51   #1
BHPian

The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!

Its raining Jeeps on TBhp. I have been through all the pages in the 4x4 Vehicles section (right down to Page 28) and the last thread dedicated to a Gypsy was a long time off. The Thar seems to have been the new favorite kid in town. So here is a thread that will refresh sweet memories of every Gypsy owner on TBhp .. or at-least I hope so

So read on guys ... there is a new Gypsy thread on TBhp

The Back story:

I absolutely love off road activities and have always dreamt of owning a 4x4 to participate in OTRs. Have indulged in some minor OTRs in a friend's Gypsy so the urge to have a vehicle of my own was always there. The Gypsy was always a dream vehicle for me, initially because I used to think (when I was in my teens) it was cool to own one and later because I understood its 4x4 capabilities. Never got around to buying one because:
  • I was not earning enough to afford the high petrol bills
  • Not enough money to own two vehicles at the same time (a family car & a Gypsy)
  • Wifey doesn't drive and was not keen on having the Gypsy as the only vehicle in the family.
So after buying & selling an Opel Corsa Sail and then a Ford Fusion, my current vehicle for the last 3 years was an A Star. This was meant to be a stop gap arrangement until I buy a 4x4.

Alternatives considered:
1. Tata Xenon 4x4
2. Mahindra Thar
3. Pajero SWB

Over the past few years I started seriously thinking about getting a 4x4 as I wanted to fulfil my dream of taking part in at-least one of the various OTRs I kept on reading about on TBhp. Searched for a Gypsy but was not getting any for a reasonable price.

The Xenon took my breath away when I saw it first. Its huge, has butch looks, and is a good off road performer as well (though not convenient due to the overhang & wheelbase). But the on road price just put me off completely. Looked for a used Xenon but couldn't find a good one. And even though I have the Gypsy now, I would still want to pick a Xenon someday. It is still the best looking vehicle on Indian roads for me

The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-xenon-tuff.jpg

In between the Thar was launched and slowly but surely the 'Jeep' image was taking over the Gypsy profile in my head. But then again I was convinced against this option by wifey and friends as in their opinion getting a new bare basic Thar for that price was ridiculous. So even though the Thar is still a winner in my heart, my head ruled over.

But if I had ever picked it up, then it would have been built to look like this but in Black. (Image rights with respective owner. I have picked it from Google just for representation.)

The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-thar.jpg

I even thought about the new Gurkha, but had to give up due to the dealer attitude who wouldn't even offer me a test drive. I even test drove a couple of Pajero SWB vehicles that were up for sale but friends convinced me not to pick those as the service/repair/parts cost would have been prohibitive.

Situation about a month back:

So finally made up my mind and decided to pick up a Gypsy by hook or crook. I did not want a new one as I wanted to alter the looks a little bit and add accessories to my satisfaction. Together with the mods I had in mind, a new vehicle would have been way over my budget. For nearly 3 weeks I searched various classifieds online for a good vehicle. Went and checked nearly 15 Gypsies after shortlisting but none was up to my liking.

Towards a couple of weeks back I had short listed 2 vehicles:
A 97 Hard Top 410W that was available with a dealer
The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-97-mg410w.jpg
A 97 413 Carb that was up for sale on TBhp classifieds
The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-gypsycarb.jpg
I had even put up a question on the used car price thread to see what would be a good price to pick these up at. Here I would like to offer my Thanks to Desmosedici (Raj) & Powertrain (Varun) for offering me valuable guidance. Raj has been really kind enough to reply to quite a few of my questions.

The vehicle I have finally picked was again on TBhp classifieds and was put up by Karizma9292 (Sugan) on behalf of his friend. The vehicle had nearly most of the stuff I wanted to put onto my Gypsy, including the looks. I took Sugan's opinion on the vehicle & the garage where this was built and only then proceeded with the deal.

I was also very highly influenced by some of the rebuild threads on this forum and had earlier decided to pick either a MG410W or MG413 Carb and build it up. Mainly because finding a King in Bangalore below 3L is highly impossible and I did not have that kind of a huge budget for the rebuild. I have gone through EACH and EVERY Gypsy rebuild thread on this forum, scanning it down to the last page in the 4x4 vehicles section. My idea was to finally turn it into a MG416 beast with the best ideas from each thread.

Taking a step back, I want to mention the Gypsy's I had been strongly influenced by.

Krishna's (Krishnathanthri) Red Gypsy
The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-krishna.jpg

Sugan's (Karizma9292) Grey Gypsy
The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-sugan.jpg

Allan's (XtremePower) Blue pimped up Gypsy
The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-pimp.jpg

Plus MexXxentric's MG416 rebuild of his Falcon
The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-mexxxentric.jpg

Current Situation:

Wifey is learning to drive and I have booked a Micra CVT for her. This means that I can sell my current vehicle and get a Gypsy. I will be using this as my daily drive to office which is just under 10 kms from my house. Plus we are a DINK family so a small hatchback as a normal car whenever needed is more than enough for us.

So when I saw this vehicle up for sale and it having most of the things I wanted, I spoke to the seller and sealed the deal. I know a rebuild project from 410 to 416 or even 413 would have been awesome and interesting but nevertheless, something is better than nothing and the deal I got was really good to miss keeping in mind the mods the vehicle already came with.

Here is what the vehicle already has:

1. 1994 MG410W body shell
2. 1.6 Baleno engine
3. 5 speed gypsy King gearbox
4. Innova shocks
5. Dog bone shackle lift (2")
6. Free flow exhaust
7. Sparco lookalike rally seats
8. Swift steering wheel
9. Mp3/USB/radio player with 2 speakers
10. Lightforce 240 blitz
11. Minda windshield lights
12. New half soft top
13. Almost new Yokohama geolander AT/S 235/75-15
14. Imported AVR free wheeling hubs
15. Custom winch bumper

Some pics of how the vehicle was when I bought it:

The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-original-green.jpg
The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-original-green1.jpg
The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-original-green2.jpg
The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-original-green3.jpg

Things I liked:
  • Ride was better than most of the other used Gypsies I had test drove.
  • The Baleno engine pulled very smoothly.
  • Equipment & mods on the vehicle were as per my own plans.
  • It is a very eye catching vehicle and in the 2 days that I drove the vehicle (before giving it for the paint job) I was getting all kind of stares.
Things I didn't like:
  • The military dull green colour is a big no no for me as I didn't want to make it a cop magnet.
  • A little bit of tinkering work needed due to small rust & holes on the floor boards.
  • AC would have been preferable.
  • The interiors are stock Gypsy and would have been the same even if I had bought a new Gypsy.
Here is the list of what I plan to add on:
  • New Seat Belts
  • New Lock set
  • Toggle switches for the lights
  • K&N Filter
  • Alloy Wheels
  • Tachometer
  • Pitching & Rolling Meter
  • Battery Disconnector Switch
  • Sheet Door pads
  • Hella Comet 450's
  • Snorkel
  • Transfer Case Guard
  • Rock Sliders
  • Ironman Suspension Kit
  • Winch
Plus I want to repaint it as the Matt Green shade the vehicle currently has is too close to the Army Olive Green colour for my comfort. The colour I have in mind is the Matt Grey/Dull Black shade available on the Honda Dio.

Some of the accessories will be easy to put on right away and some will take me a bit of time due to financial constraints. I will share the details as they keep on happening. The Gypsy has already gone for a paint job and is in the garage now. Have driven it just for about 40 kms yet and cannot wait for it to be back in my hands.

Last edited by aah78 : 4th October 2013 at 18:20. Reason: Additional smileys deleted.
vroom666 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2013, 04:27   #2
BHPian

re: The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!

Congo's on the acquisition !
The gypsy is a vehicle that I've coveted ever since I laid my eyes on one.

Tis an accomplished off-roader and here's wishing you a wonderful time with her mate.

Cheers !

Last edited by MavericK46 : 3rd September 2013 at 04:28. Reason: Typo !
Old 3rd September 2013, 06:36   #3
KMT
BHPian

Thank You for a really interesting read.

Great looking Gypsy.

Have you got the new engine number endorsed on the RC or are you putting the old number on the block?

Anyways Happy Driving.
Old 3rd September 2013, 07:52   #4
BHPian

Here are some more pics of the Gypsy before she went for a paint job.

The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-new-green.jpg
The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-new-green1.jpg
The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-new-green2.jpg
The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-new-green3.jpg
vroom666 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2013, 11:28   #5
BHPian

Conrats Vroom666. Did you pass Kundanahalli signal on Saturday around 11:30am.
I think I saw this gypsy.
Old 3rd September 2013, 11:43   #6
BHPian

Congrats Vroom666 , its the best 4x4 vehicle as u already know it, I'm also a newbie to gypsy so lets learn together and lets conquer the terrains.
neon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2013, 16:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your purchase. Looks like its been done up really well. After having those huge Lightforces, do you think you would still need a Hella Comet 450
Old 3rd September 2013, 18:00   #8
BHPian

Congrats brother , glad to be of little help to you in deciding the vehicle . Anyways have a safe 4WD life , hope to see you in future OTRs .
karizma9292 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2013, 18:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

Awesome acquisition Vroom666!

Waiting post - mod pics and reports! Congrats!
Old 3rd September 2013, 21:46   #10
BHPian

Thanks everyone for the wishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
...After having those huge Lightforces, do you think you would still need a Hella Comet 450
As far as practical usage is concerned I guess not, but adding those just for aesthetic looks for now. Some day might have real use for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArunV View Post
... Did you pass Kundanahalli signal on Saturday around 11:30am. I think I saw this gypsy.
No Arun - must be someone else as I was out of the country over the weekend and the vehicle already had been stripped down before I left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
... Have you got the new engine number endorsed on the RC or are you putting the old number on the block?
Not yet but its on the cards. The FC is valid till Dec 2014 so will surely get it done before that.
Old 21st September 2013, 05:35   #11
BHPian

Re: The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!

The reason for the late updates is because I have had to travel out of country in between and thus am helpless. Here are some pictures when work was in progress. Please excuse the bad quality as some were taken my friend who I had asked to keep track of the work.

The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-first-paint.jpg

The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-back.jpg

The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-cover.jpg

The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-seat-cover.jpg

Got a aluminium bar welded at the back of the cabin to prevent rain water from coming into the cabin
The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-dam.jpg

The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-cabin.jpg

The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-engine.jpg

The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-lights.jpg

The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-engg.jpg

The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-enggine.jpg

Last edited by vroom666 : 21st September 2013 at 06:01.
vroom666 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st September 2013, 05:43   #12
BHPian

Vehicle is now ready and here are some more pictures with the Gypsy parked in my basement. It has been raining and hence the gypsy has been dirty for the last 2 days as I have been driving it around. And anyway dirt looks good on the vehicle

Some finishing touches of paint are still to be done but I have asked then to do it later once rains stop as it is taking time to dry and some of the areas are turning whitish as well due to the dampness. But its satisfactory for now.

Aerial fixed at the back. It was on the front bonnet when I bought the vehicle
The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-antenna.jpg

The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-colour.jpg

Fixed a battery disconnector switch
The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-disconnect.jpg

Paint touch up needs to be done later
The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-disconnector.jpg

This is a pic once the final coat of paint was done in the garage
The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-final.jpg

The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-gyp-back.jpg

The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-gyp-bonnet.jpg

The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-gyp-front.jpg

The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-gyp-side.jpg

The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-gyp-tyre.jpg

Last edited by vroom666 : 21st September 2013 at 05:58.
vroom666 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2013, 05:47   #13
BHPian

Some more ...

The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-gypsy-back.jpg

The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-head.jpg

LED lights in the cabin
The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-led-more.jpg

Fixed 2 of these
The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-led.jpg

Old door pads that came with the vehicle
The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-old-pads.jpg

The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-one-more.jpg

The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-one-moreee.jpg

Sheet pads from Swastikviji
The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-pads.jpg

Rock Sliders from Swastikviji
The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-rocks.jpg

The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-sides.jpg

Last edited by vroom666 : 21st September 2013 at 05:55.
vroom666 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2013, 05:50   #14
BHPian

and some last ones. Frankly speaking I am not bothered on how the vehicle looks or how good the paint etc is. My main intention in buying this vehicle was to prepare a capable 4x4 and actively participate in OTRs. Everything else is secondary and just an icing on the cake.

Another view
The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-size.jpg

Replica seats - came with the vehicle when I bought ... needs cleanup
The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-sparco.jpg

Had speedometer console cleaned and worked upon a little bit .. looks a little bright now
The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-speedo.jpg

The 235 Yokos that came with the vehicle
The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-yokoss.jpg

Last edited by vroom666 : 21st September 2013 at 06:21.
vroom666 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2013, 06:18   #15
BHPian

I will definitely do a nicer photoshoot soon and post the pics. but for now this is all I have. Now that most of the work is done, the pending items that remain are as follows:

1. Winch: This will be the last accessory I put on. Don't want the cheap chinese ones. Hopefully will pick a Warn 8000lb budget permitting at the time.

2. Suspension upgrade: Immediate on my list. Can experts please give me your opinions on which one is recommended - OME or Ironman? Both are around 70000/- with Ironman being slightly expensive close to 75000/-. I am being told that Ironman ones are actually made in Thailand and they only have a registered office in Australia. Plus apparently OME ones are more reliable? Need some advice here please

3. Lockers: Will do this with the suspension upgrade. Checked on ARB Air lockers -- around 80000/- including compressor etc. which is way too much I feel. So my choice is between Lockrite & the Lambda ones. I have read Khan Sultan's thread on what how he fixed the Lockrites on his Spidey, but havent read too much about the ones from lambda. They seem to be more favorable as they give the option of open diff in normal use. Has anyone used these? Feedback/Advise needed please.

4. Picking a snorkel from Swastikviji
5. Alloys - Am on the lookout for something that my eyes like.

6. K&N filter - Can the experts please tell me if this is needed/advisable if I put on a snorkel?

7. An external roll cage - just a thought for now.
8. Remove the seats at the back and reduce the length of the trunk? Thinking of Spidey here

Last edited by vroom666 : 21st September 2013 at 06:24.
vroom666 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks