Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2013, 16:23   #31
BHPian

Re: The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
There is nothing better than standard OEM wheels for OTRs, as and when they get bent, you can get them hammered into their original shape. Its a cheap and cheerful way of keeping the overheads down!
Thanks Parm. I will listen to you and keep the wheels as is for now.
Old 30th September 2013, 19:41   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom666 View Post
Amardeep can you give me more tech details of the Calminis? What is the travel length?

I am speaking to someone here in Bangalore about the same actually and am in two minds to choose between these and the Bilstein's. Are you putting these on for a comfort ride or are they giving you more ride height etc? Are you changing all 4 or just the front? And also approximate cost please.
Hey Vroom,

These are 5" travel performance shocks. I am changing all 4 for ride height and articulation. I will also be installing a body lift kit and shackles. Need a little more height for rocks, hence the mod. The advantage with Calmini is that everything is quite literally bolt-on for the Gypsy. I am buying it from Bolt-on Concepts in Bangalore. Sumit Varma is the guy there. Expensive though at around 5K/pop.
Old 30th September 2013, 22:22   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amardeepmd View Post
... I am buying it from Bolt-on Concepts in Bangalore. Sumit Varma is the guy there. Expensive though at around 5K/pop.
I am speaking to him as well. When are you going there? Maybe I will drop in and meet you & your ride as well.
Old 30th September 2013, 23:36   #34
BHPian

Quote:
I am speaking to him as well. When are you going there? Maybe I will drop in and meet you & your ride as well.
I'm in Chennai. He will be sending my stuff to me via Gati. Let me know what you decide. I will be coming for the January OTR so we can swap notes.
Old 1st October 2013, 12:18   #35
BHPian

Quote:
I'm in Chennai. He will be sending my stuff to me via Gati. Let me know what you decide. I will be coming for the January OTR so we can swap notes.
Yeah I saw your location as Chennai but thought you will be travelling here for the fitments. Anyways hope to catch up sometime once the vehicles are ready - maybe Jan OTR as you say.

I am also getting the LAMDA diff locks & Snorkel fitted by Vijay. And finally need to decide what I need to get done for the suspension/shocks. Am in 2 minds about Bilstein/Calmini & the full Ironman/OME kits. Will hopefully catch up with Khan_Sultan and take his advice as well soon.
Old 4th October 2013, 18:05   #36
BHPian

Great enthusiasm and efforts have produced a beautiful beast. Congrats

IMO

The front Indicator Lights should have been sort of recessed. Any minor fender bender or just a gentle Kiss on the fender, would show up on the Indicators.

Roll cage should have been provided prior to Paint job to allow any type of Welding jobs and similarity of Paint finish.

Happy driving

Amrik Singh
Old 4th October 2013, 19:33   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah I saw your location as Chennai but thought you will be travelling here for the fitments. Anyways hope to catch up sometime once the vehicles are ready - maybe Jan OTR as you say.

I am also getting the LAMDA diff locks & Snorkel fitted by Vijay. And finally need to decide what I need to get done for the suspension/shocks. Am in 2 minds about Bilstein/Calmini & the full Ironman/OME kits. Will hopefully catch up with Khan_Sultan and take his advice as well soon.
Let me know how the cable-operated diff locks work out. If it works well at that price point, it sure beats having to shell out close to 100K for ARB or an equivalent. If you have not already installed freewheeling hubs, those make a big difference on road. Have fun and keep the pictures coming.

I received my Calmini stuff yesterday . Pictures of the mod will follow.

Quote:
I will definitely do a nicer photoshoot soon and post the pics. but for now this is all I have. Now that most of the work is done, the pending items that remain are as follows:
Hey,

Just saw the freewheeling hubs. Very neat. Do you have a power steering system installed?

Note from Support: Posts merged & edited. Please edit quotes to include only relevant portions of quoted posts. Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 20:41   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
... The front Indicator Lights should have been sort of recessed... Roll cage should have been provided prior to Paint job...
Thanks Amrik. I will see if anything can be done about the indicators but I am guessing these are standard as made by Swastikviji. The roll cage is on my list but a little down the line so that is why I got the vehicle painted first.

BTW a question for the experts here: I have got a quote for an external roll cage by BoltON concepts - about 18k - 25k approx. Is that too high? Checked with Prad from Sahakarnagar (there is a thread where he had done similar for a Bolero I think) but they apparently do not do it anymore.

Any other guys in Bangalore who can do it cheaper maybe without compromising on safety.

Quote:
Let me know how the cable-operated diff locks work out... If it works well at that price point, it sure beats having to shell out close to 100K for ARB or an equivalent... Do you have a power steering system installed?
Hopefully will get the lockers fitted next week. Vijay is out of town currently. I asked about the ARB as well. Exorbitant price 80K for each plus around 25K for the compressor. Way too much.

And no power steering for me. I am not sure how reliable it will be in off road situations. Do not want to end up with a busted one in the middle of an OTR.

Will wait for your update on the Calminis. BTW Why did you go only for 5" ones? Don't they have any higher travel ones 10 or even 14? I think Bilstein does.

Another Q for experts: I have taken an appointment with Lokesh from Surakshaa for a general checkup and some minor work. I want him to ensure that the vehicle is suitable for an off road venture as I do not want to be stuck/broken down in the first OTR. Planning to make it for the C.O.R.E off road excursion listed by Arka for Nov 23/24.

I am getting a lot of creaky sounds all over (expected I guess from any old Gypsy) and the front of the vehicle seems to be slightly dipping on the right hand side.

The diff strengthening/axle truss etc I will ask Vijay to do as I don't think Surakshaa will do it, but any pointers from the experts here on what I should the MASS guys to check/strengthen etc in particular - from an OTR perspective?
Old 5th October 2013, 11:06   #39
BHPian

Will wait for your update on the Calminis. BTW Why did you go only for 5" ones? Don't they have any higher travel ones 10 or even 14? I think Bilstein does.

I don't do too much of rock work so that amount of travel is something I won't need. I need my vehicle to operate at a decent level across various terrains so will keep it simple. Since you are coming for the CORE event in November, come in a day early and show your vehicle to Raghav at IgNite. He might have some pointers to share since he used to drive a 416 himself. Let me know if you want me to set that up. Re the roll cage, I did a very simple one for TPC at just under 10K. With stuff like this, you can spend as much as you want. Red Rooster gave me a quote of 25. I guess we need to figure out what we want . See you at the CORE OTR.
Old 7th October 2013, 14:57   #40
BHPian

In your thread starter intro, you had stated "A 97 413 Carb that was up for sale on TBhp classifieds".

later, how and when did the Gypsy got upgraded to MG416W ?

Request clarification please.

Amrik Singh
Old 7th October 2013, 20:13   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
... later, how and when did the Gypsy got upgraded to MG416W ...
Hey Amrik. That 413 Carb was one of the vehicles that I thought of buying but did not. This 416 is a different one and was already converted when I bought it. This was in the TBHP classifieds as well. The place where this was done was recommended by another TBHPian and the garage has done similar conversions previously as well so I picked this instead of the 413 carb.
vroom666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2013, 16:07   #42
BHPian

I have been offered 5 Forceum MT tyres bundled with Lenso 15" 5 spoke alloys for 40000/-.

Do you guys think this is a good deal? Tyres have been used for not more than 5000 kms. Need to decide soon.
Old 12th October 2013, 16:33   #43
BHPian

Quote:
... See you at the CORE OTR.
Amardeep - I met Sumit & Nitin today and would like to chat with you about the mods. Do you mind sharing your number so that I can call? I guess you do not have PM yet till you cross 25 posts.
Old 13th October 2013, 18:57   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Amardeep - I met Sumit & Nitin today and would like to chat with you about the mods. Do you mind sharing your number so that I can call? I guess you do not have PM yet till you cross 25 posts.
Hey, email me at amar @ devadason . org with your contact number and some good times to call. Will give you a buzz. BTW, the Lenso wheels sound good but I would suggest you go for Trepadors.
Old 15th October 2013, 11:39   #45
BHPian

Well, the modification work has started. To recap, I am installing a load of Calmini gear - 5" shocks, 2" shackles and a 3" body lift kit. First challenge has arrived. If you look at the photograph, you will see that the OE bolt that is supposed to secure the steel block from the lift kit is not long enough. There are differences between the Samurai and the Gypsy but I reckon they can all be addressed.
Attached Thumbnails
The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-img20131012wa0002.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks