Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2013, 16:27   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amardeepmd View Post
After hearing your story, I just called Nithin and ordered a PU bush kit .
Hi Amar,
What is the price for PU bush kit?

Shubhendra
Old 16th October 2013, 16:56   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Hi Amar,
What is the price for PU bush kit?

Shubhendra
Hi Shubhendra,

This is a Calmini PU suspension bush kit for the Gypsy. I am paying 6K from BoltOn Concepts in Bangalore.
Old 16th October 2013, 20:56   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
... can you post a picture of current springs when vehicle is on ground?
Here you go Jaggu. Now looking at the leafs in detail, the sooner I change them the better it looks like. Do give your expert comments.

The front. Does it look a little lower on the left? Seems like that to me.
The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-1frontt.jpg

Front Leafs on the right when facing the vehicle from the front
The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-2front-right.jpg
The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-3front-right.jpg

Front Leafs on the left when facing the vehicle from the front. These seem a little flat to me and could be the reason for the left side of the vehicle having a little lower stance.
The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-4ffront-left.jpg
The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-4front-left.jpg

Rear Leafs on the left when facing the vehicle from the back
The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-4rear-left.jpg
The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-4rrear-left.jpg

Rear Leafs on the right when facing the vehicle from the back
The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-5rear-right.jpg
The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-9rear-right.jpg

For now I will order a full new set of OEM leafs as replacement. Will get Calmini's or some other heavy duty ones later.

And sorry couldn't resist this picture
This is my first ever ride bought with a down payment from my first salary in 1999. Recently refurbished & rebuilt with some extra mods after spending a bomb.
The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-bonus.jpg

Last edited by vroom666 : 16th October 2013 at 20:58.
vroom666 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 21:15   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom666 View Post
And sorry couldn't resist this picture
This is my first ever ride bought with a down payment from my first salary in 1999. Recently refurbished & rebuilt with some extra mods after spending a bomb.
Attachment 1153589
Hey, great job, finishing is top notch. even i own a Suzuki Shogun (1994), bought it when i was in school, last engine rebuilt at bangalore. I am still searching for front light, visor, fairing and indicators. I repainted it 2 years back. Though i dont use it anymore but want to restore it to its original glory.
Any help to procure above items would be appreciated.

Shubhendra
Old 16th October 2013, 21:47   #65
BHPian

[quote=vroom666;3267599]Here you go Jaggu. Now looking at the leafs in detail, the sooner I change them the better it looks like. Do give your expert comments.

It's looking better every day. I don't think your diffs are bent but you could get it checked when you go back to Bolt On. I would still suggest you get your springs re-cambered and add one more . But then, I'm no expert.
Old 16th October 2013, 22:58   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
These seem a little flat to me and could be the reason for the left side of the vehicle having a little lower stance. Rear Leafs on the left when facing the vehicle from the back Rear Leafs on the right when facing the vehicle from the back For now I will order a full new set of OEM leafs as replacement. .
Reason why I wanted to see the pic was to check the camber. My suggestion is first to go for a new stock front leaf set. If the stance is clean and no negative camber, stick to it. If it shows signs of flattening out take the smallest leafs from the current set and add it.

If you are recambering for more height then forget new springs, since it will lose its cushioning property moment you do the recambering process.

Rear set seems to already have additional leafs? Forgot the exact number for stock :-/
Old 16th October 2013, 23:14   #67
BHPian

Quote:
... If you are recambering for more height then forget new springs, since it will lose its cushioning property moment you do the recambering process. ..
So with the new leafs, if I get a proper stance with no negative camber - I should stick to it. But if not then are you saying I should recamber only the old set and not the new one as I will lose the cushioning on the new one?

Sorry about the Q - but was confused.
Old 16th October 2013, 23:22   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So with the new leafs, if I get a proper stance with no negative camber - I should stick to it. But if not then are you saying I should recamber only the old set and not the new one as I will lose the cushioning on the new one? Sorry about the Q - but was confused.
Yes. But before recambering, add the smallest leaf to the new one to see if it sorts out any negative camber.

Recambering keep it as last option

Option 1
Step 1 Try new plates
Step 2 Add smallest helper from old set to new, if it's negative camber
Step 3 recambering the springs

Option 2
Step 1 Recambering current springs.
Step 2 add helper leafs if need be

For ride comfort option 1 anyday. As you progress from step 1 to 3, ride quality will deteriorate.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 23:29   #69
BHPian

Quote:
... For ride comfort option 1 anyday. As you progress from step 1 to 3, ride quality will deteriorate.
Thanks a lot Jaggu. Will update once done. Hopefully a new set will be the point I stop at
Old 17th October 2013, 13:40   #70
BHPian

Nice ride setup buddy, few questions for you..
1) Is that a Wide track vehicle?
2) 4 speed or 5 speed GB?
3) With the reverse shackle kit, do you still have the legendary Gypsy Bounce
4) How much did the whole kit cost you and are you happy with the performance in terms of comfort.
- I recently test drove a TJM equipped Gypsy HT, with their leaf springs and Shocks. That was a brilliant setup. No squeaks, no bounce. Was very comfortable but the cost was close to 80 k (damper)
5) Have you tried applying brakes hard on after the reverse setup? Noticed any difference?

Can you share some of your inputs on road driving condition on the shackle setup.

Hey you Shogun is seriously beautiful, wish the wheels were stock.
Old 17th October 2013, 18:40   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinn View Post
1) Is that a Wide track vehicle?
2) 4 speed or 5 speed GB?
3) With the reverse shackle kit, do you still have the legendary Gypsy Bounce 4) How much did the whole kit cost you and are you happy with the performance in terms of comfort.
5) Have you tried applying brakes hard on after the reverse setup? Noticed any difference?
6) Can you share some of your inputs on road driving condition on the shackle setup.
7) Hey you Shogun is seriously beautiful, wish the wheels were stock.
  1. Yes the body is a 1994 410W
  2. 5 Speed King gearbox mated to a 1.6 Baleno engine
  3. No bounce no squeaks. I am not sure if this is due to the RS kit or the Calmini shocks & the PU bushes. I could notice the difference immediately after making the changes
  4. RS kit was 23K. 4 Calmini 5" shocks were 20K total. I did not opt for the leafs as no budget right now. The suspension kits from either OME/Ironman or Calmini all cost about the same - around 80K. I have purchased new stock leaf springs today. So will fit them for now. Maybe later switch to the branded leafs from OME/Ironman or Calmini. Its been just 2 days so too soon to judge performance. But I will update on this thread
  5. Yes have tried that. Have not noticed any major brake dive as I have read about. The only thing is the tyres seem to touch a bit on the fenders when they move back. Might need to file a bit of that part
  6. Have driven for just 2 days for now and mainly noticed a huge difference in comfort & less bounce. Need to test things more. Will get a chance to do it next weekend at the Bangalore OTR
  7. I wanted a disc brake so used the wheels/disc setup from an Apache. Still in the TVS family ;-)

Last edited by vroom666 : 17th October 2013 at 18:42.
vroom666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2013, 00:46   #72
BHPian

Fruitful day today. Here is a sneak peek of the parts I bought. Now got to get it fixed in the next couple of days.

Snorkel, Diff guards & the differential gussets.
The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-parts.jpg

A closer look at how the gussets will be welded onto the diff tubes. Pics from Swastikfabs FB page.
The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-truss.png
The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-truss4.jpg

Got a new set of OEM stock leaf springs - front & back.
The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-leafs.jpg

Wanted to change the 410 grill to the one from King. But could find only the main grill part. The grill net has been ordered -so gotta wait until then to fix the whole set.
The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-grill.jpg

Maxxis Trepadors
The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-maxxis-loaded.jpg

The Geo's & the Maxxis
The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-mt.jpg
The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-mt-.jpg

The Maxxis were exchanged for the Geo AT's plus some cash. Overall a good deal as the Geo's had done less than 1000kms and I didnt have to pay much.

Here is what the vehicle looks like now with the new shoes.
The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-maxxis.jpg

The vehicle build is getting closer and closer to what I had envisaged. Lockers, Winch, Shortened body, a roll cage & a crawler gear set should complete the image I have in mind from an off road vehicle perspective. Some other cosmetic changes like collapsible rear seats, a soft tonneau cover etc will happen over time. Next step is to build up my offroading skills by participating in more OTRs as the best of vehicles can be useless in the hands of an unskilled driver which I think I am right now.
Old 18th October 2013, 12:39   #73
BHPian

Maxxis Trepadors
Attachment 1154022

The Geo's & the Maxxis
Attachment 1154008
Attachment 1154011

The Maxxis were exchanged for the Geo AT's plus some cash. Overall a good deal as the Geo's had done less than 1000kms and I didnt have to pay much.

Here is what the vehicle looks like now with the new shoes.
Attachment 1154023

The vehicle build is getting closer and closer to what I had envisaged. Lockers, Winch, Shortened body, a roll cage & a crawler gear set should complete the image I have in mind from an off road vehicle perspective. Some other cosmetic changes like collapsible rear seats, a soft tonneau cover etc will happen over time. Next step is to build up my offroading skills by participating in more OTRs as the best of vehicles can be useless in the hands of an unskilled driver which I think I am right now.[/quote]

Hi Vroom, Do you mind sharing the exchnage price for the Maxxis against the Geos per tyre. Also, are the Maxxis 235/75/R15?
Old 18th October 2013, 16:10   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwagon View Post
... Hi Vroom, Do you mind sharing the exchnage price for the Maxxis against the Geos per tyre. Also, are the Maxxis 235/75/R15?
Yes these are 235/75/R15. I got 25k for the 5 Geo AT tyres. The Maxxis were 7000 each so overall paid only 10000 after exchange. Please note I got this rate from a dealer after a lot of looking around and haggling for prices in about 8 shops. Most of them were quoting about 3500 for the Geo's & 7300 for the Maxxis. The ones I picked are 2013 make itself as per the code on the tyre.
Old 29th October 2013, 22:46   #75
BHPian

Got the diff guards & the Snorkel installed. The axle truss will be done later when I send the vehicle later to Vijay for the Locker fitment.

The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-guards.jpg

Had a wonderful time at the BODA event on saturday and my ride performed well. This was my first time and seeing some of the obstacles before getting on the track I wasn't sure if I could do it or my vehicle could. But all my fears were laid to rest.

The only place I goofed up was when my rear right wheel got stuck in the slush on the last but one obstacle in Stage 5 after the wall. Had to be towed out there. But completed all other obstacles easily. I should have moved into the slush pit with the vehicle at an angle from the left as the slush was more towards the right. I will consider the slush incident to my inexperience and not the vehicle

Unfortunately had to leave by 3.30 in afternoon due to an emergency at home. So looking forward for the next event. But before that I plan to get the body length shortened & bench seats removed.

Couldn't take any pics at the event as I was driving and my spotter friend was busy spotting for me but here are some pics after the event showing the damaged areas

No damage here but the vehicle took some light mud beating
The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-img_0726.jpg

Half the mud fell off by the time I reached home
The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-img_0727.jpg

Here is the damaged part - rear bumper slightly bent and some paint work scratched off while negotiating the slush pit. This has got me to expedite the shortening of the rear overhang ASAP.
The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-img_0728.jpg

The exhaust got bent a lit and had to straighten it by using a jack handle. Plan to get this realigned when I cut shorten the body.
The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!-img_0730.jpg

Hopefully will get all this done before the CORE event in Chennai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amardeepmd View Post
Well, the modification work has started. To recap, I am installing a load of Calmini gear - 5" shocks, 2" shackles and a 3" body lift kit. ...
Amar - what is the update? I am guessing you would have installed all the parts by now?
vroom666 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks