Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2014, 19:25   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Intrepid Explorer III - Rocky Beige Mahindra Thar

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
1. The floor supervisor was able to diagnose the problem exactly as per DB Sirs recommendation last week. The clamps were replaced with new ones, Coolant topped up. When I took my Thar for an oil change at 7900 KM to my trusted Jeep mechanic Dharampal in Gurgaon there was no drop in collant level I noticed. 2. I am of firm belief that Castrol CRB Turbo is far superior engine oil to the Mahindra Maxmile Feo that they peddle. 3. The tailgate lock which was replaced under warranty two weeks ago is giving trouble again.
Dear Shahidbhai - my replies to your 3 statements are as follows:

1. Did you use Zen heater hose clamps? If no, please do, production worm clamps will not work. If yes, your problem is solved forever.

2. Please check the specification of the oil that you prefer, it became obsolete long time ago.

3. The lock is of Gypsy, get it attended by a competent door lock guy, why do you waste time with the ASC? .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 09:22   #62
Senior - BHPian

Yes Sir there are many Maruti OE parts stockists in Gurgaon I purchased the clamps from them for Rs. 12 each.

The Castrol CRB Turbo is API CH4+ meeting Euro IV specifications. It is good and manufactured by Castrol India.

Besides we are selling it ourselves in great volumes in all our Punjab and UP Wal Mart stores.

The ASC is located right behing my office, and I get VIP treatment there.

At the moment there is a customer week going on. I got calls to attend it. They have a very good customer lounge. ( RR Auto ).

At the moment I need to fix four things. 8000 KM travelled in the Thar in 8 months!

Ask the dentor to fix the lock again. Cant open it from outside.
Axle boot rubber is torn. Get it replaced.
Clutch pedal rubber torn. Will replace it.
The horn panel on the steering is loose, get it fixed / replaced it is the same as my Bolero. Never had a problem in 5 yrs with the Bolero on this. Why so many problems crop up in a Thar ?
Old 3rd July 2014, 10:57   #63
Senior - BHPian

Here are some pics of one of the other Rocky Beige Thars that I travel in, owned by Rahul Rai a friend in Gurgaon.

I had suggested dont make changes.

But even before I knew he had bought one he changed the rims and tyres. The torsion bar was offset and there was vibration in the steering, took it to ASC RR Auto and got it fixed. Got some good seat covers installed with 2 inch foam, ( Rs. 2400 ) in Sector 12 Market.

Bimbra also installed a new rear bumber.
Azad 4X4 custom fabricated extra wide over fenders and installed them.

Yesterday got the oil change done at 1400 KM, replaced with Castrol CRB Turbo, API - CH and the engine noise and vibration drop could be felt instantly.

I believe the first oil change should be at 1000 KM and not 5000 as recommended my Mahindra.

Next the vehicle went to Bimbra and they fabricated a swing mount for the heavier 275/70/R16 Sylverstone tyres. Its a failed attempt the mount makes a terrible noise and vibrates all the time.

Bimbra made an opening windshield for it. The rubber seals leak. It was raining yesterday and water came in from the windcreen rubber seals.

A good job has been done by another fabricator who removed the frame of the canopy, retained just two thinner rods, installed a zipper to open the canopy ( rear portion only ) from inside the vehicle, installed Velcro and fabricated an over canopy to prevent rain water leaking through the zipper.
Attached Thumbnails
The Intrepid Explorer III - Rocky Beige Mahindra Thar-20140702_131432.jpg  

The Intrepid Explorer III - Rocky Beige Mahindra Thar-20140702_132928.jpg  

The Intrepid Explorer III - Rocky Beige Mahindra Thar-20140702_133019.jpg  

The Intrepid Explorer III - Rocky Beige Mahindra Thar-20140702_130116.jpg  

Last edited by desertfox : 3rd July 2014 at 11:03.
Old 3rd July 2014, 17:47   #64
Senior - BHPian

Not a single day without problems. What a Car!

While getting the oil changed last week, my reliable Jeep Mechanic Dharmpal of Gurgaon pointed out that the axle boot had a tear.

I saw there was grease leaking from there as well.

Took to the ASC RR Auto today.

They said the boot rubber bellow part doesnt come seperately. The whole axle assembly of the RHS side will be changed. OK I said. Free warranty replacement . Job card opened part will arrive from Nasik in 10 days time. New canopy under warranty replacement to arrive in 3 days and horn panel of steering also in 10 days.

Good replace half the car under warranty I dont care.

While standing there the dentor came, oiled, and fixed the rear lock which was replaced under warranty last month.

I purchased a clutch pedal rubber for Rs. 48 which they replaced free without any labour charge.

Also purchased four sachets of windscreen washer shampoo for the Barsaat.

Now on the axle boot. Keep driving it, nothing will happen we will replace it free under warranty once it arrives, will call you.

No harm I asked ? No no maximum it will break but you wont be stranded.

Nuts ?

I got the Thar parked at home for the next ten days.

Why did I buy these three thars and made seven other people purchase Thars.

Regret - but - THERE IS NO ALTERNATIVE
Absolute monopoly. Mahindra Enjoy while it lasts.

Next year I will be the first buyer of Jeep Wrangler and set fire to all these Thars.

Here are some pics :

All Rocky Beige Gurgaon Thars come to meet in this club house regularly.

The torn Axle boot rubber

What needs to be replaced under warranty
Attached Thumbnails
The Intrepid Explorer III - Rocky Beige Mahindra Thar-20140703_141113.jpg  

The Intrepid Explorer III - Rocky Beige Mahindra Thar-20140703_141354.jpg  

The Intrepid Explorer III - Rocky Beige Mahindra Thar-20140703_141418.jpg  

Last edited by desertfox : 3rd July 2014 at 18:01.
Old 3rd July 2014, 18:56   #65

Quote:
Not a single day without problems. What a Car!

While getting the oil changed last week, my reliable Jeep Mechanic Dharmpal of Gurgaon pointed out that the axle boot had a tear.

I saw there was grease leaking from there as well.

Took to the ASC RR Auto today.

They said the boot rubber bellow part doesnt come seperately. The whole axle assembly of the RHS side will be changed. OK I said. Free warranty replacement . Job card opened part will arrive from Nasik in 10 days time. New canopy under warranty replacement to arrive in 3 days and horn panel of steering also in 10 days.

Good replace half the car under warranty I dont care.

While standing there the dentor came, oiled, and fixed the rear lock which was replaced under warranty last month.

I purchased a clutch pedal rubber for Rs. 48 which they replaced free without any labour charge.

Also purchased four sachets of windscreen washer shampoo for the Barsaat.

Now on the axle boot. Keep driving it, nothing will happen we will replace it free under warranty once it arrives, will call you.

No harm I asked ? No no maximum it will break but you wont be stranded.

Nuts ?

I got the Thar parked at home for the next ten days.

Why did I buy these three thars and made seven other people purchase Thars.

Regret - but - THERE IS NO ALTERNATIVE
Absolute monopoly. Mahindra Enjoy while it lasts.

Next year I will be the first buyer of Jeep Wrangler and set fire to all these Thars.

Here are some pics :

All Rocky Beige Gurgaon Thars come to meet in this club house regularly.

The torn Axle boot rubber

What needs to be replaced under warranty
wow. you make me reconsider my decision to buy a Thar next month. Especially for someone like me that wants it for occasional use in good weather months a year. On a side note, Wrangler may be priced double than Thar, possible?

http://www.cardekho.com/carmodels/Jeep/Jeep_Wrangler

not sure how accurate, but the price point of a wrangler is 20L, so not really a competition to Thar in any way if the price is somewhat accurate

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 3rd July 2014 at 21:06.
Old 4th July 2014, 09:16   #66
Senior - BHPian

No Monkey I am not driving anyone away from buying a Thar. After all I am comitted for development of offroading as a sports and family recreation.

In a monopolistic situation today you have little choice of any other vehicle but the Thar.

A Tempo Gurkha or Tata Xenon may be a consideration but Thar remains the best compromise unfortunately.

What is illustrated here and in other thread are personal experiences.
Old 9th July 2014, 11:30   #67
Senior - BHPian

It goes like this these days.

Someone stops me near sapphaire mall very close to my house.

Hey thats a nice vehicle I want to buy one.

Me - explore your options go visit team bhp pages.

I have you are Desertfox.

Yes.

Should I buy a Thar my wife is Italian she likes off roading.

Me - What is the choice ? There is a delarer 200 yards from here go buy one.

Three weeks later I meet the guy again at the RR Auto service centre.

By now the Thae has leather interiors, auto windows, steel rims. keyless entry, 31 inch off road tyres, snorkel.

I note some different side view mirrors.

Where are they from ?

Jeep Wrangler originals from Quadratech. Ordered online. Price ? Rs. 80,000.

Clearly a growing cult with big spending power!
Old 9th July 2014, 14:42   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
..Jeep Wrangler originals from Quadratech. Ordered online. Price ? Rs. 80,000.
I am sure an extra zero has been put by mistake!
Kandisa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 16:39   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
I am sure an extra zero has been put by mistake!
i bought them 3 yrs back from US for about 40 USD each, but they are available in Mumbai for 10-12 thousand per piece ! but definitely not for 40 K each

Shubhendra
Old 9th July 2014, 20:07   #70

thank you @desertfox - I think I will take the plunge and book my Thar shortly, but since I am in Chandigarh, I may have to come to Delhi for the mods, since there aren't a lot of BHPians from Chd.

Do you have any insight on the new Thar model expected? http://motorbash.com/mahindra-upcomi...-s101-scorpio/

I am still trying to navigate these forums and finding my way around using them effectively.

What original Wrangler parts are you talking about that is $40 in the US? I assume rear lights?
Old 9th July 2014, 20:44   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
thank you @desertfox - I think I will take the plunge and book my Thar shortly, but since I am in Chandigarh, I may have to come to Delhi for the mods, since there aren't a lot of BHPians from Chd.

Do you have any insight on the new Thar model expected? http://motorbash.com/mahindra-upcomi...-s101-scorpio/

I am still trying to navigate these forums and finding my way around using them effectively.

What original Wrangler parts are you talking about that is $40 in the US? I assume rear lights?
We have a Group of Bhpians with Thar's in Chandigarh.
And you can get anything you want in chandigarh for the Thar.
PM me for more information.
Old 10th July 2014, 08:42   #72
Senior - BHPian

No I have not put an extra Zero. He said Rs. 80,000.

The O/E on our Thars is the same mirror as Bolero. Rs. 540 to replace them from the Mahindra GSP dealer in Mayapuri a new local manufacturer side mirror is Rs. 150 but quality not good.

Monkey :

As of date any news of a Thar coming with upgrades is not available.

A CRDe may come with a 2WD only drive train.

A lot of people like Thar, but it comes with its own bag of trouble. So take a judicious decision I would say.

An updated Thar - may be little beyond some new body colours, keyless entry, alloy wheels.
Maybe one with a Mahindra fitted hard top.

Modification is strictly a need based thing and there is no hurry, take your time to decide upon the mods.

Tyres - 31 Inch mud terrain or 275/70/R16 or even 255/65/R16 will bring more harm than benefit. So stick to OE Bridgestone Dueler H/T.

Alloy Wheels - A set of Mahindra OE allo wheels ( 5 ) are available for Rs. 30,000. If you want alloy wheels go for these not aftermarket once.

Thar is a low tolerence vehicle. The scrub ratio is altered with non confirming alloys or tyres of outlandish specifications.

An important modification is to make the passenger seat more comfortable by changing it to the RHS 2 seater or getting it cut to create 6 inches extra sliding space.

All other mods dont really add to anyhing as such.

Hard top of course, if one chooses from many available then it improves air conditioning and adds to security ( of goods inside the vehicle ).

Roll cage - yea if + intermediate off roading is to be frequent.

The inside floor should be lined with a carpet or synthetic mat to improve the Airconditioning.

Carbon Fibre leaf springs - Ride quality does not improve much.

A four feet long antena - totally the owners choice adds no value.

Pintle hook - Does go into the chassis rear horizntal section. But in the absence of a K member I am not sure of its effectiveness.

Otherwise the tow points are very weak. They will fly off in a snatch pull.

Last edited by desertfox : 10th July 2014 at 08:51.
Old 10th July 2014, 09:48   #73
Senior - BHPian

Some small modification for my Thar keep coming from time to time.

yesterday I went to Reliance Auto Zone in AMbience mall to look for Osram bulbs for my Scorpio. Not available there, will get them picked up from Calcutta.

I had gone in my Thar, so I decided to pick up a pair of Philips H4 bulbs for Rs. 1100 a pair and a pair of Hella Dyna edge 11 inch Wipers for the Thar for Rs. 1100 as well.

The installation for both was done free.

It is a good wiper blade, much better than the OE and the light beam now is a great improvement from the Halonix 60/55 W bulbs. The Philips H4 bulbs are also 60/55 W but the light beam is truely much brighter.
Attached Thumbnails
The Intrepid Explorer III - Rocky Beige Mahindra Thar-20140710_092841.jpg  

The Intrepid Explorer III - Rocky Beige Mahindra Thar-20140710_092850.jpg  

Old 10th July 2014, 10:32   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No I have not put an extra Zero. He said Rs. 80,000.
Ok, great, I am hearing that for the first time in my life. May god bless him and shower him with even more monetary powers to add more expensive cosmetic accessories in his THAR IIRC, the pair of rugged ridge (one of the best brands if not the best) CJ7 mirrors i bought couple of years ago from amazon and got to India through someone, was in the range of 5-6 k or so.
Kandisa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 14:42   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It goes like this these days. Someone stops me near Sapphaire mall very close to my house. Hey, thats a nice vehicle, I want to buy one. Should I buy a Thar? My wife is Italian, she likes off roading. Three weeks later I meet the guy again at the RR Auto service center. By now the Thar has leather interiors, auto windows, steel rims, keyless entry, 31 inch off road tyres, snorkel. Price? Rs.80,000.

Clearly a growing cult with big spending power!
Dear Shahidbhai - your comments above are absolutely correct! I know that such conversations happen everyday. You don't need a management degree and fancy presentations to see that "India is clearly in a growing cult phase with big spending power". More than this, India is clearly on an alter-ego trip, that's why objects of desire are selling more than objects of necessity and will continue to do so (ungeared scooters outsold 100cc motorcycles, this was unheard of less than 10 years back).

This product was specifically targeted to satisfy these very egoistic needs. See this comment - "we have a Group of Bhpians with Thars in Chandigarh". Chandigarh was one of my target locations for launch, the other location was Kolhapur. Both these locations are well known for this class of target customers.

I firmly believe that this vehicle has not only achieved the desired result for which it was conceived and made, but it has surpassed the target requirement by creating customers (including you) as brand ambassadors for life.

Therefore, "party to banti hai"! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

PS - get Philips 140/110W P43t specification bulbs made in Holland (meant for rally purpose only) and fit them with corresponding Bosch relays and Finolex wires. You can do this in Thar as the reflector lenses are made of glass and not of plastic. See my comments on page no 60 of the "automotive lighting" thread in this forum. If you do exactly what I have mentioned, you will get daylight in front of your vehicle, otherwise you will not even come close to what I have mentioned. Adapting the wiring in the vehicle itself is a 3 day job, nobody will do it free! Aftermarket wiper blades are known to increase friction on the glass, be careful, wiper motor wattage is not very high. Enjoy! .
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks