Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2014, 15:38   #76
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Intrepid Explorer III - Rocky Beige Mahindra Thar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post

PS - get Philips 140/110W P43t specification bulbs made in Holland (meant for rally purpose only) and fit them with corresponding Bosch relays and Finolex wires. You can do this in Thar as the reflector lenses are made of glass and not of plastic. See my comments on page no 60 of the "automotive lighting" thread in this forum. If you do exactly what I have mentioned, you will get daylight in front of your vehicle, otherwise you will not even come close to what I have mentioned. Adapting the wiring in the vehicle itself is a 3 day job, nobody will do it free! Aftermarket wiper blades are known to increase friction on the glass, be careful, wiper motor wattage is not very high. Enjoy! .
Slightly OT!
Perhaps you can help.
A friend has MM550 glass headlights on his gypsy with 110W philips. When it rains, the glass cracks(cold water, hot glass).
If he moves to Thar headlamps, will it stop cracking when it rains?
Old 10th July 2014, 17:04   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Monkey :

As of date any news of a Thar coming with upgrades is not available.

A CRDe may come with a 2WD only drive train.
ull.
Thank you @desertfox. Booking my Thar. Your suggestions are much appreciated, but the only one I may go against logic is the tires. I would like something wider if not bigger for aesthetics alone. What would you suggest for this non-compliant novice on that?
Old 10th July 2014, 18:55   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
I may go against logic on the tires. I would like something wider if not bigger for aesthetics alone. What would you suggest for this non-compliant novice on that?
Dear monkey (what a name!) - please do not deviate from production wheels and tires, this vehicle is optimized with Bridgestone P235/70R16 tires only. If you deviate, vehicle dynamics will get spoilt and you will not even know till you go @ 140 / 160 kmph, which this vehicle is capable of doing. If the tire does not behave optimally at that speed, you know what can happen. I wonder what makes most of you change wheels and tires, aesthetics is very nice with production wheels and tires, just don't fit the wheel caps, that's all!

Kya yaar! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 19:13   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
A friend has MM550 glass headlights on his gypsy with 110W philips. When it rains, the glass cracks(cold water, hot glass). If he moves to Thar headlamps, will it stop cracking when it rains?
Dear Tanveer - Thar headlamp reflectors are CMVR items, best used for their intended purpose (ahem)! . Oh come on now!

Any headlamp will crack if the water goes inside it and touches the bulb. In 7" diameter headlamps, there is a rubber ring gasket which must be fitted just behind the ring to prevent water entry. I have found only Lucas TVS reflectors reliable in this aspect, if the rubber ring gasket is in place and not torn. You need to search for and buy these Lucas TVS reflectors with 15 degrees assymetric lenses, suitable for P45t bulbs (they don't come suitable for P43t bulbs). These reflectors are extremely difficult to find, stocks have dried out and nobody keeps them anymore. If you can find a set, grab it. Then use Philips 140W bulbs made in Holland, do everything single thing (including beam setting) that I have listed on page 60, then only you will appreciate the meaning of "daylight in front of the car". Wiring and taping is a 3 day back-breaking job, but it will bring a quiet smile on your face when the guy coming from the other side quietly dips his headlights after seeing just two small flashes of the high beam from you!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 20:26   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Dear Tanveer - Thar headlamp reflectors are CMVR items, best used for their intended purpose (ahem)! . Oh come on now!

Any headlamp will crack if the water goes inside it and touches the bulb. In 7" diameter headlamps, there is a rubber ring gasket which must be fitted just behind the ring to prevent water entry. I have found only Lucas TVS reflectors reliable in this aspect, if the rubber ring gasket is in place and not torn. You need to search for and buy these Lucas TVS reflectors with 15 degrees assymetric lenses, suitable for P45t bulbs (they don't come suitable for P43t bulbs). These reflectors are extremely difficult to find, stocks have dried out and nobody keeps them anymore. If you can find a set, grab it. Then use Philips 140W bulbs made in Holland, do everything single thing (including beam setting) that I have listed on page 60, then only you will appreciate the meaning of "daylight in front of the car". Wiring and taping is a 3 day back-breaking job, but it will bring a quiet smile on your face when the guy coming from the other side quietly dips his headlights after seeing just two small flashes of the high beam from you!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thanks, but I have something equivalent of nuclear warfare on my vehicle. I don't need 140W
That said, the problem I am talking about is different. When water splashes on the front glass, the front glass cracks if the headlight has been operating for some time.
Old 11th July 2014, 00:22   #81
Senior - BHPian

I will do that Sir, I need to get proper cables and the 140/110 Philips bulb set first. I will get them from Bombay whenever I am there next, last visit was a morning - evening very rushed affair.

Today too one guy came to see my Thar at a nearby Paan shop. I have dispatched him to the dealers!

Kolhapur has so many enthusiasts indeed. I went there on business last year. One guy who is my business associate has a Thar and CJ3B, he also has a factory to manufacture trailers for Jeeps and has offered to gift me one!

Party whenever you want Dhabar bhai. Do you like seafood ? Spare some time, either at the Taj Vivanta Pune during my next visit where the chef goes overboard to dish out something special for me or in Mumbai, Khandar at the Oberoi or Orient express whatever pleases you or maybe you know a better place.

MONKEY - Bridgestone Duelr H/T are very good global standard tyres. They look good too.It is the OE for Nissan Patrol in 275/70/R16 or 275/65/R17 where a lot of other choices are available to Nissan. the size 235/70/R16 is same as Scorpio and most desirable. Do not flirt around with things that add no value. What asthetics ? At the cost of spoiling scrub ratio and already tall gear ratios, causing extra drive shaft travel etc. ?

If you wish to invest another 30,000 go for original Mahindra Alloy wheels, Scorpio ally wheels. I will also fit them with the first change of tyres, till then why not use these steel rims they are good for two years.

A front picture of my Thar today with the new wipers
Attached Thumbnails
The Intrepid Explorer III - Rocky Beige Mahindra Thar-20140710_134915.jpg  

Last edited by desertfox : 11th July 2014 at 00:36.
Old 12th July 2014, 18:17   #82
BHPian

Quote:

Yesterday when I took my Thar for an oil change at 7900 KM

Dear Desertfox,
Just a small question, why is it that you'd changed the engine oil at 7900 Kms.?
Or was it due since after your jeep had clogged 5K.
As per the Thar Manual the first oil change is listed at 5k Kms and then At 20k.

Thanx.
Old 14th July 2014, 10:57   #83
Senior - BHPian

In my opinion first oil change should be done at 1000 KM. Maximum amount of metal fragments accumulate at this time and new engines often drink up about 500 ml of oil.

This is what Toyota does.

The first oil change was at 3400 KM. Mahindra Feo an inadequate poor quality oil.

Drove it for some time ( 4000 km )and then changed to Castrol CRB Turbo. How the engine sound changes. Would have done it earlier if I had time.

Now this castrol will last 7000 KM maximum.

Mahindra are wrong to recommend 15000 KM for a poor oil like Feo.

Only very high quality synthetic oils last that much.

Pelting rain in Delhi yesterday. I drove 45 minutes in heavy shower from the Shooting range in Tughlakabad to Gurgaon.

It was fun. The new wiper blades were a marvel.

But I noticed some water entering inside the vehicle from the gear lever area.

Last edited by desertfox : 14th July 2014 at 10:59.
Old 18th July 2014, 08:53   #84
BHPian

Quote:

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
please see the Facebook link and subsequent posts: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Rudresh Gargatti has sourced these TVS Lucas headlight units, holders, bulbs etc. The pictures will give you a detailed idea (at least for novices like me) Behram Sir this is for your ratification.

Last edited by iMASKARAN : 18th July 2014 at 09:06. Reason: adding photos
Old 18th July 2014, 09:04   #85
BHPian

I am adding the photos here as well. These are available off the rack in Delhi - Northern India Motors Co, M10 Connaught Place, New Delhi. The owner Jitendra Kumar Gupta is an old school motorhand and the shop is a treasure trove for Vintage Car parts....
Attached Thumbnails
The Intrepid Explorer III - Rocky Beige Mahindra Thar-1497546_786302701420426_8642768142575889588_n.jpg  

The Intrepid Explorer III - Rocky Beige Mahindra Thar-1559647_786302894753740_8115230085173898942_n.jpg  

The Intrepid Explorer III - Rocky Beige Mahindra Thar-10526164_787006054683424_9058467359186681468_n.jpg  

The Intrepid Explorer III - Rocky Beige Mahindra Thar-10556359_787006271350069_7147401537984306756_n.jpg  

Old 18th July 2014, 10:39   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMASKARAN View Post
Rudresh Gargatti has sourced these TVS Lucas headlight units, holders, bulbs etc. The pictures will give you a detailed idea (at least for novices like me) Behram Sir this is for your ratification.
Dear iMASKARAN - ratification is as follows: The lights that you have shown in the photographs are freely available. The bulbs are not 140W, they are 100W. The bulb holders shown in the photograph do not provide positive lock at the bulb interface, due to which the bulb moves in the reflector, spoiling the focus. At best performance, this will give normal headlight illumination which is nothing great. These are not the lights that I mentioned.

What I want is Lucas TVS headlights having 15 degrees assymetric cut-off pattern with P45t bulb configuration. I am attaching a photograph of my Premier Padmini car BLL4919 having these headlights. You can see the reflectors clearly.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Attached Thumbnails
The Intrepid Explorer III - Rocky Beige Mahindra Thar-dsc_0227.jpg  

DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2014, 12:14   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Dear iMASKARAN - ratification is as follows: The lights that you have shown in the photographs are freely available. The bulbs are not 140W, they are 100W. The bulb holders shown in the photograph do not provide positive lock at the bulb interface, due to which the bulb moves in the reflector, spoiling the focus. At best performance, this will give normal headlight illumination which is nothing great. These are not the lights that I mentioned.

What I want is Lucas TVS headlights having 15 degrees assymetric cut-off pattern with P45t bulb configuration. I am attaching a photograph of my Premier Padmini car BLL4919 having these headlights. You can see the reflectors clearly.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Any part no, or possible car/auto in which these were used?
Old 22nd July 2014, 19:57   #88
Senior - BHPian

Got the RHS axle assembly changed under warranty. Also the new top and horn button.

Trust mahindra logistics from Nasik, instead of black they shipped a grey horn button but I installed it the steering looks good in two tone,

Also I purchased a cigrette lighter socket, opened the dashboard panel, found a 3 poin cable in the harness for stereo. Purchased a 3 point connector adapter and a thimble d=sleeve, connected the socket to this circuit. Now at least I can run the GPS and charge a phone no spotlights from this power outlet although.
Attached Thumbnails
The Intrepid Explorer III - Rocky Beige Mahindra Thar-20140717_154611.jpg  

The Intrepid Explorer III - Rocky Beige Mahindra Thar-20140717_154616.jpg  

The Intrepid Explorer III - Rocky Beige Mahindra Thar-20140718_182129.jpg  

Last edited by desertfox : 22nd July 2014 at 20:01.
Old 28th July 2014, 17:43   #89
Senior - BHPian

Here is a picture of that said Rs. 80,000 side view mirror. On my own I wouldn't pay anthing more than Rs. 3000 for it!

Also a carbon fibre leaf spring and nitro shockers on this Thar. In the service bay for hand brake cable replacement today.
Attached Thumbnails
The Intrepid Explorer III - Rocky Beige Mahindra Thar-20140728_140429.jpg  

The Intrepid Explorer III - Rocky Beige Mahindra Thar-20140728_140512.jpg  

Last edited by desertfox : 28th July 2014 at 17:47. Reason: more pics
Old 28th July 2014, 18:01   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here is a picture of that said Rs. 80,000 side view mirror. On my own I wouldn't pay anthing more than Rs. 3000 for it!
Eighty Thousand? Is it gold plated or is it removed from James Bond's car and fires some rockets and stuff?
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed