Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2013, 20:01   #46
BHPian

Re: My li'l Red Mahindra Thar with some practical modifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_hardcore View Post
@ Samwagon, you have acutally moded the thar basis on your utility, really impressive.

by any chance were you driving throught bahadurgah on NH10 earlier this month, I recollect that I had spoted your Thar.
Thanks for the compliment. Yeah, it was me.
Old 25th October 2013, 00:03   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwagon View Post
Since a lot of prospective Thar buyers will hopefully go through this thread, i wanted to pen down certain specific points to be checked whilst undertaking PDI on a Thar, which i have experienced by virtue of having undertakien PDI of 03 Thar including my own in the past One and a half years. This list is specific to the Thar and is over and above the PDF format PDI format checkoff list available elsewhere
Well, thats about it for the moment. Other members amy please contribute.

Just in time sir, i am staring at my watch and hoping it better hurry up
Thanks a ton for creating this, i happen to take the delivery of my THAR at 10 tomorrow, this info will be quite helpful.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th October 2013 at 02:19. Reason: Please quote only relevant portions of post.
Old 25th October 2013, 13:13   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Another small and practical mod was done when my wife complained about absence of anything to hold onto while sitting in the back seat benches. She wanted something similar to those hanging handles found in buses. Though it was simple enough to source and install some I somehow didn't want my Thar's rear to look like a bus, so i bought a couple of handles (same as the one found in the Thar above the left ear of the co-driver). These were bolted onto the longitudinal frame member at the back. A couple of pics will make it clear. Now the rear most handle can be used for holding onto while getting in/out of the rear.

@samwagon, congrats on your vehicle and a great job with the useful modifications.

Could you please ellaborate on the front cabin separator that you have installed. I had planned to do it too for my thar before fitting an AC but couldn't think of how to get it done.
Some close up pics would also be helpful (what material/ insulation on the top, sides etc)....

Thanks & regards,
Nitin
Old 25th October 2013, 13:46   #49
BHPian

Have been following the thread closely. Appreciate the practical mods done on your Thar. In your opinion, could a Thar with necessary mods, be a long distance cruiser ?
Old 25th October 2013, 13:58   #50
Senior - BHPian

How can it be a long distance cruiser when the rear suspension is so hard. Expectations from a Thar to perform like a Maruti Swift or a saloon car are impractical. It can be put to use for which it is designed.
Old 25th October 2013, 14:15   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandan View Post
Have been following the thread closely. Appreciate the practical mods done on your Thar. In your opinion, could a Thar with necessary mods, be a long distance cruiser ?
It sure can be a highway cruiser and a daily drive. There are couple of threads of people doing long trips on it. Don't expect it to be as boring and predictable as a Maruthi :-).

For that matter a Tata Nano is all that is required if you will only be on paved roads. A gentleman did a all India road trip in one a couple of months ago. (Search for "mano et nano" and pick the website with the same domain URL).
Old 25th October 2013, 14:27   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
How can it be a long distance cruiser when the rear suspension is so hard. Expectations from a Thar to perform like a Maruti Swift or a saloon car are impractical. It can be put to use for which it is designed.
I have no such expectations. I know there is a lot to lose here when compared with a sedan/hatch, but a lot to gain too . Again, I mentioned " with all necessary mods" including suspension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
It sure can be a highway cruiser and a daily drive. There are couple of threads of people doing long trips on it. Don't expect it to be as boring and predictable as a Maruthi :-).

For that matter a Tata Nano is all that is required if you will only be on paved roads. A gentleman did a all India road trip in one a couple of months ago. (Search for "mano et nano" and pick the website with the same domain URL).
This is the reason I asked. I have seen many people in Thars doing really long distances, including Bangalore-Ladakh.
Old 25th October 2013, 15:28   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have no such expectations. I know there is a lot to lose here when compared with a sedan/hatch, but a lot to gain too . Again, I mentioned " with all necessary mods" including suspension.
Absolutely. No doubt about it. But you'd need to soften up the rear suspension for sure.

A sedan or an SUV might be more comfortable. But not as much fun.
Old 25th October 2013, 15:45   #54
BHPian

Quote:
I think it can, if you know what comforts to expect from it.
There is a tbhp member who took his thar on a 8000 kms round trip (Mumbai - Meghalaya and back) the very next month after he purchased it. He had zero issues and even maintained ~100 kmph speeds on good roads and achieved a mileage of 14+ kmpl during his trip.
His trip was sometime during the cold wave that hit the North during winter 2011 and he put the heater to optimum use, even sleeping overnight in the thar en-route.
Old 25th October 2013, 16:31   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsyngh View Post
Thanks a ton for creating this, i happen to take the delivery of my THAR at 10 tomorrow, this info will be quite helpful.
Please share your experience of the new Thar viz. the points I had mentioned in the post. Were they of any help?
Old 25th October 2013, 16:59   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it sure can be a great fun to drive vehicle on wide open roads and munch miles effortlessly all day. I can be quite comfortable for the front occupants. In fact, i drove it in Sep to Leh and back with my wife and a 3 yrd old kid in the back (on a modded bed) and believe me you, i and my wife felt less tired/stressed as compared to a similar drive last year in the Fusion (these are my personal views). I attribut this to following:-
(a) The seating position is more upright and natural (less laid back) as compared to the car and thus less stressful for the lower limbs.
(b) Greater all round visibility means less concentration while driving
(c) Fun factor combined with envious looks. (believe me even people overtaking you in fancy sedans and SUVs give a second glance back)

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
The hard and bouncy rear suspension combined with longitudinal rear seats make it less enjoyable to the rear occupants, but again its not that bad especially if you can avoid constantly craning you neck to see through the front windshield. Moreover, by removing a leaf from the rear, i have experienced a appreciable improvment in ride quality (certainly not as good as coils)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post

Agree. If everyone stuck to just the basic requirements then we would all have been driving Model Ts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin_80 View Post
I think it can, if you know what comforts to expect from it.
There is a tbhp member who took his thar on a 8000 kms round trip (Mumbai - Meghalaya and back) the very next month after he purchased it. He had zero issues and even maintained ~100 kmph speeds on good roads and achieved a mileage of 14+ kmpl during his trip.
His trip was sometime during the cold wave that hit the North during winter 2011 and he put the heater to optimum use, even sleeping overnight in the thar en-route.
Its kind of cosy to sleep in the Thar. With the soft top it gives me the tent feel.
Old 26th October 2013, 14:19   #57
BHPian

Quote:
(b) Greater all round visibility means less concentration while driving ..
Totally agree with you on that, i never felt uncomfortable while driving any car but after driving Thar for last 11 months I feel nervous in my Estilo because there are lots of hidden/black spots etc. 😀

I am planning Leh trip in next year, please share rear bed photo you talked about.

Thanks,
Vishal
Old 26th October 2013, 14:45   #58
BHPian

This modded bed sounds cool but just a mention leaves too much for the imagination! A pic will help things
Thanks...
Old 26th October 2013, 15:36   #59
BHPian

Dear swamwagon,
Congrats and what a great job you have done with your thar , it truly depicts your love and passion for the jeep.
happy motoring
behaln is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2013, 22:22   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
Totally agree with you on that, i never felt uncomfortable while driving any car but after driving Thar for last 11 months I feel nervous in my Estilo because there are lots of hidden/black spots etc. 😀

I am planning Leh trip in next year, please share rear bed photo you talked about.

Thanks,
Vishal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjango View Post
This modded bed sounds cool but just a mention leaves too much for the imagination! A pic will help things
Thanks...
Guys please don't get your hopes up too much regarding the modded bed. Its just that I arranged all my stuff- i.e bags, tents, sleeping bags, knick knacks, shoes etc everything in between the seats or under the seats, so that there was nothing above the level of the sitting bench. Next i placed a flat plywood piece, which i had lying around the garage, (something which you can easily source for peanuts from any furniture shop), overlapping on both the benches. i Covered the ply piece with an old bed-sheet so that the edges didn't damage the rear bench. Thus the back became a nice big flat surface on which I spread a cotton mattress (regular single bed size with the sides folded along the seat back rest) and finally a bed sheet on top to complete the bed look. I haven't got a proper snap but hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
My li'l Red Mahindra Thar with some practical modifications-img2013091400266.jpg  

Most Viewed