Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2014, 14:34   #121
BHPian

Re: My li'l Red Mahindra Thar with some practical modifications

Hi Samwagon, it was a great read for me through your thread. I just wanted some information on how you exactly bolted the arm rest to the floor, if you could explain a bit more with a picture, that would be great. I like this mod very much.

Swami

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwagon View Post
I used a RE Bullet pilot lamp for the glove box light.

Also i added a hand rest cum storage bin, which is commonly available in any car accessories shop which i installed in between the front seats mounted on the wooden section which itself was bolted to the rear floor using existing holes.
Old 13th October 2014, 12:19   #122
BHPian

sticking with the torsion bar setup.. I found a similar torsion bar setup for the 1998-2010 ford ranger. I know going with the torsion keys is not a good idea but for a modest 2" lift, i arguably dont see why not.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...spension.shtml

check out the details under the 1998-2010 Ford Ranger 4WD Front Suspension. This setup is very similar to that on the Thar (My opinion)

Many sites also suggest using a torsion bar unload tool as well.

I wonder if I could use a bolt on Ranger lift kit (complete upper arms) or just the torsion keys.

I believe that the Toyota LC80 torsions bars can be used as well.. with a little bit of jugaad.

Any thoughts on this ??

[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
Old 16th October 2014, 22:34   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear vijaytiwari - good that it actually happened now. This should be done in normal course during manufacturing. .

As the ride height has been corrected, you will need to get the camber / caster / toe checked once again and adjusted to specification. All three are adjustable, not only toe so don't get convinced otherwise. 99 wheel alignment guys out of 100 don't touch camber and caster because it is a cumbersome process and they convince customers that it is not required by talking complete nonsense with full confidence. These parameters have to change as ride height changes, this is elementary geometry. For this, you must see the specifications as supplied to the ASCs, the original recommendation carried this corelation.

Best of luck! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DB Sir,
As a reference guide could you help us all by posting the camber. castor, toe in, toe out tolerance values for a THAR CRDe.

At best today we have to believe in whatever data is fed in in the computer of the wheel alignment shop.
Old 18th October 2014, 08:38   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
DB Sir, as a reference guide could you help us all by posting the camber. castor, toe in, toe out tolerance values for a THAR CRDe. At best today we have to believe in whatever data is fed in in the computer of the wheel alignment shop.
Dear Shahidbhai - Information is as follows:

Dress Level: Unladen condition / 235/70R16 Bridgestone tubeless tires / tread depth > 95% / dead cold tire pressure 32 psi.
Camber: +14 minutes. Tolerance on Camber +/-8 minutes.
Caster: + 2 degrees 45 minutes. Tolerance on Caster +/- 15 minutes.
Individual Toe: + 12 minutes. Tolerance on Individual Toe +/- 4 minutes.

Many wheel alingment fellows will not understand and they will try to teach you also, please be careful and best of luck, you are going to need it. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2014, 17:46   #125
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Sir.

I will ensure that these values are the reference at :

The four Mahindra ASC in Gurgaon, RR Auto, GSP Motors, Sterling Auto and Tiger Eye.

Also at the Bridgestone company showroom at Sohna Road

and at Tyre Mart - Sohna Road, Gurgaon & Sikandarpur.

This will benefit the Thar community at Gurgaon at least.

We have two major off road groups here, NIOC ( North India Offroad Club ) & Terrain Tigers. Both have face book pages.

Last edited by desertfox : 20th October 2014 at 17:48.
Old 9th March 2016, 18:34   #126
BHPian

I have been away from India for little more than a year now. Actually I am still away, but last month, I got an opportunity to be in India for a week and was thus re-united with my Thar. During this time I changed the canopy from the old 2012 design (straight back and no cross member) to the latest one (Sloping back and cross member). The spare set was obtained through Taran Bhimbra who was kind enough to courier the full set along-with metal frame work and all to Pune.

So attaching here a few pictures of the change in Thar's Appearance and also, of my present ride whilst abroad.
Attached Thumbnails
My li'l Red Mahindra Thar with some practical modifications-img_3862.jpg  

My li'l Red Mahindra Thar with some practical modifications-img_3864.jpg  

My li'l Red Mahindra Thar with some practical modifications-img_3874.jpg  

My li'l Red Mahindra Thar with some practical modifications-img_3878.jpg  

My li'l Red Mahindra Thar with some practical modifications-img_3882.jpg  

My li'l Red Mahindra Thar with some practical modifications-img_3927.jpg  

My li'l Red Mahindra Thar with some practical modifications-img_3876.jpg  

My li'l Red Mahindra Thar with some practical modifications-img_1104.jpg  

Old 10th March 2016, 12:49   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Samwagon - hello after a very long time, feels good to catch up once again.

On the canopy, I see wrinkles on the LH side at the top, which were not there, way back in 2010. If at all you must slope the canopy and also maintain the Jeep looks, you must use the sloping angle from the original Wrangler. I wish you had a black vehicle, a burgundy red canopy with premium material (it is available in Pune, but it is very costly) custom made with the Wrangler sloping angle would have looked absolutely fantastic on it!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 10th March 2016, 17:52   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Samwagon - hello after a very long time, feels good to catch up once again.

On the canopy, I see wrinkles on the LH side at the top, which were not there, way back in 2010. If at all you must slope the canopy and also maintain the Jeep looks, you must use the sloping angle from the original Wrangler. I wish you had a black vehicle, a burgundy red canopy with premium material (it is available in Pune, but it is very costly) custom made with the Wrangler sloping angle would have looked absolutely fantastic on it!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
The sloping canopy readily available was used for paucity of time and purely for cosmetic purposes. The old one was perfectly fine and much better than any canopies available in the market before the launch of Thar.
Even I have a dream look in my mind for the Thar, which involves a hard top in the style of the FJ40s of yester years (top painted white)
Attached Thumbnails
My li'l Red Mahindra Thar with some practical modifications-img_3551.jpg  

samwagon is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed