Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2013, 20:53   #31
BHPian

Re: My li'l Red Mahindra Thar with some practical modifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Shahidbhai - thanks for posting the best compliment you could ever give to my baby! As you don't understand, even I still don't understand why I made it in the first place. I guess I was really crazy to do it, but I did it, that's all that matters to me! I see the sales volume reports every month, I compare the figures with "some other vehicles" and then I guess I am allowed to quietly smile, critics be damned! .

Dear all - Shahidbhai's comments have unequivocally proved that a product can succeed by stirring some inexplicable latent desire of a target customer and you don't need lots and lots of money, people and time to do it.

All you need is the highest level of auto passion, which is ACTIONABLE AUTO PASSION. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Behram Sir, It's an honour to see your post in my thread even if for Desertfox's comments. I hope i have your approval for the passion i am putting into your creation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
Congratulations on your Thar, and I compliment you on both, your small practical mods as well as the detailed explanations provided by you. It is definitely a value add going through your thread.

In particular, I like the storage box you have installed over your centre console. Two questions around that - One, I could not understand what "wooden area" you were referring to. Seemed to me you have used a metal frame for mounting the box which is then bolted to the floor. Secondly, I want to get something like that for my Thar as well but only issue is that this area is used by passengers to climb into the rear. So I would need to re-look at the exact location - perhaps somewhere lower just above the handbrake. What is your opinion on the feasibility of that?

Your switch for the 4WD lever is awesome. Very practical. As is the light just over the driver side window.

I also noticed that your exhaust pipe at the end (just under the bumper) is black. What kind of paint did you use? Does it not chip off due to the heat?

Love your alloys, but not a fan of the red paint on the rear drum brakes. Seem kind of ricer IMO. I know you are really passionate about the light on the fifth wheel - but I think it looks somewhat feminine. Also highlights the non-centricity of the fifth wheel. In fact, that was the second thing I had noticed about your Thar when we ran into each other at Vasant Kunj. The first was the same to same alloys.

Overall, am excited about this thread and look forward to more interesting stuff. Trust me, this is just the beginning.

See you around.

Cheers!
Thanks Manveet. Appreciate your comments. The storage box cum hand rest is available in any auto accessory store and as per design is supposed to be mounted in cars like swift, etc. over the hand brake housing, running between the front seats. It comes with attachments with multiple holes for mounting it to the plastic handbrake housing of cars. In my case, I have mounted it to a rectangular piece of wood painted black which has then been bolted on the floor of the rear tray using two existing holes on the floor. In your case, if i am correct you have the same OEM center console as mine. Since it is made of fibre glass, it will not support the handrest. You can try mounting it on two L-shaped metal plates mounted on the floor on either side of the existing centre console, with height and length as per site conditions. These metal plates can then be screwed (carefully) to the center console sides just for support to prevent sideways movement. The weight of the box and whatever it holds will then be on metal plates. You have to be careful with measurements coz if mounted too forward, it will interfere with gear changes.

The painted drums weren't my idea and even i am not much of a fan of them either. Would be painting them over matt black at the earliest opportunity.

The rear light-- IMO is a matter of choice. I like it plus its functional unlike the drum paint. I kinda like the offcenter stepney. Would've loved to have a re ally offcentered one like in the non-NGCS 550s for the old school jeep look. I am not much of a fan of the later model Wranglers.

The paint on the rear silencer is from a small tin of marine grade paint i had primarily for application on my RE bullet engine cylinder head.

Cheers mate
Old 21st October 2013, 21:00   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Manveet lets call a meeting of you me and samwagon over dinner anywhere you like in Delhi or Gurgaon. A lot needs to be discussed for the general benefit of Thar Owners.

Dhabhar Bhai - I dont feel good without a Jeep thats the reason I purchased a Thar. I drive it, kind of like it what harm is it doing in being in my fleet of cars ? I will get it repaired, perfected a bit of trouble but its fine.
I second the proposal Desertfox. Manveet ?? Only thing i would prefer saturday/ sunday and daytime so that each other's Thars can be properly checked out.
Old 22nd October 2013, 10:32   #33
BHPian

Quote:

What is a Thar - An offoader with creature comforts ? or a road drive vehicle which can offroad a bit ?

I want to buy a Thar for a really long time now. I love that jeep factor. I have been reading different threads for almost 2 weeks now. Some points tell me go for it with eyes closed and others just kick the idea off. But still its the jeep thing which keeps me in the hunt. In all I figure out Thar is one of those vehicles which gives the best of engine and structure in its class, rest has to build according to ones need.

My questions to all the Thar owners is:
If you have a plan to buy another jeep or a new jeep will you buy a Thar again?
Old 22nd October 2013, 12:04   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VineetSoni View Post
My questions to all the Thar owners is:
If you have a plan to buy another jeep or a new jeep will you buy a Thar again?
Your question is slightly misleading because as of now if one wants to buy a new Jeep there is no other option.

And if one wants to buy a used Jeep, apart from a pre-owned Thar the other options are the MM5x0's and CJ's which one will have to custom build will never have the same reliability and on road behavior. Comparing those to the Thar is like comparing apples to oranges because those Jeeps and the Thar do not serve the same customer needs.

If I understand correctly what you are asking is that if anyone of us Thar owners regret buying the vehicle. The answer is that 90% people don't. Of the 10%, some regret because their expectations from the vehicle were different, they did not do their homework properly and some regret because they bought on impulse but don't really get the time to drive it so it remains parked in the garage.

Personally, I know more people who regret buying the Hyundai Elantra than those that regret buying the Thar. Its just that Thar owners are more passionate and enthusiastic than regular vehicle owners, so you will see a lot more animated discussions on TBhp about the Thar.
manveet is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 13:08   #35
BHPian

Quote:

If I understand correctly what you are asking is that if anyone of us Thar owners regret buying the vehicle. The answer is that 90% people don't. Of the 10%, some regret because their expectations from the vehicle were different, they did not do their homework properly and some regret because they bought on impulse but don't really get the time to drive it so it remains parked in the garage.
Thanks manveet
Your answer is perfect even though my question wasn't.
I guess I still have to figure out what my exceptions are from my future vehicle.
Old 22nd October 2013, 15:34   #36
Senior - BHPian

Remember unless you are an absolute youngster it can never be your only vehicle.
Old 22nd October 2013, 16:40   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Your question is slightly misleading because as of now if one wants to buy a new Jeep there is no other option.

And if one wants to buy a used Jeep, apart from a pre-owned Thar the other options are the MM5x0's and CJ's which one will have to custom build will never have the same reliability and on road behavior. Comparing those to the Thar is like comparing apples to oranges because those Jeeps and the Thar do not serve the same customer needs.

Personally, I know more people who regret buying the Hyundai Elantra than those that regret buying the Thar. Its just that Thar owners are more passionate and enthusiastic than regular vehicle owners, so you will see a lot more animated discussions on TBhp about the Thar.
What Manveet has said is absolutely correct. You gotta get your priorities and what you expect from the Thar very clear. Most of the pros and cons of the vehicle are there to see or have been discussed thread-bare on various forums. No other similar vehicles, at similar pricepoint are available today in showrooms, for you to choose from (other than perhaps a Gypsy, which is petrol engined, and without PS and AC and a suspension which is best used off-road). So for the time being, if you have the JEEP keeda, Thar is the only one to consider.

Consider, second hand options like the 550s (which are definitely cheaper though not by much in the long run) only if you are seriously into off-roading and are mechanically inclined so as to undertake the build yourself (in which case it is a rewarding experience).

Quote:
Originally Posted by VineetSoni View Post
Thanks manveet
Your answer is perfect even though my question wasn't.
I guess I still have to figure out what my exceptions are from my future vehicle.
That is the first and the most important step in owning a Thar.

Quote:
Remember unless you are an absolute youngster it can never be your only vehicle.
It can be a great middle age crisis avoider. But yes, i tend to agree with what desertfox means. It isn't as comfortable, user friendly and multi purpose as a car/full grown SUV.
Old 22nd October 2013, 18:07   #38
BHPian

Since a lot of prospective Thar buyers will hopefully go through this thread, i wanted to pen down certain specific points to be checked whilst undertaking PDI on a Thar, which i have experienced by virtue of having undertakien PDI of 03 Thar including my own in the past One and a half years. This list is specific to the Thar and is over and above the PDF format PDI format checkoff list available elsewhere in the forum.

First of all, the dealership's concept of PDI means an inspection conducted by its own inspectors and not the customer. But remember, it is your right so ask for it and the dealership will oblige. Finally, the vehicle is going to be owned by you and paid for by your hard earned money. These are the few things to look for in a new Thar and seek repair/ rectification/ replacement from the dealer. Prefer conducting the PDI in broad daylight and after a vehicle wash. The list is based on my personal experience and by no means claimed to be exhaustive so OTHER OWNERS MAY PLEASE CONTRIBUTE:-

(a) One of the main culprits is the Thar dashboard. Look minutely for ill fitting components like the ashtrays on the sides, glove-box door, the Instrument panel housing and the panel which houses the AC switches. The ill fitting issues on all the various components are easily correctable so insist on them being set right by the ASC. Dont accept, 'Thar main to aisa hi hai'. Compare with another new vehicle, if someone gives you that bumpff.

(b) In the dashboard, also, check for misallinged/ loose AC/ heater control knobs and

(c) The hand-brake lever should not be very hard to operate. Its is not expected to be as light as a modern hatchback, but still it should be easily deployable by one hand of any average built person.

(d) Check very minutely for canopy tears both on the inside and outside. The last vehicle I PDIed had a fair sized hole on top near the targa band. If there is a tear, insist on full replacement and dont accept repair.

(e) Check smooth opening and closing of all doors especially the tail gate. All should close completely with a gentle nudge from a couple of feet away. Half closing doors point towards misallingned locks/ guides (incase of tail gate). Get it corrected and dont accept, 'Doors are new, so lock is tight and will correct with time.'

(f) Shake the doors and tail gate in open position to assess any up and down movement, which translates to faulty hinges (rare occurence but possible).

(g) Checking the whole of the body, from inside and outside for any rust marks/ scratches goes wiyhout saying. The paint quality on Thar is quite good, so rust/ scratches are result of mishandling in transit. Get them rectified.

(h) Missing nut/ bolts/ screws at various locations is another surprising Thar phenomenon (in addition to extra ones lying around on the floor) which i attribute to cannabalisation for another propoerly inspected Thar in the stockyard, probably. Specially look in the framework for the canopy and the fibreglass fenders on the wheel arches.

(j) Loose rubber boot of the 4wd lever and misallinged headlamps (which can be checked only in a closed area) to be corrected. Curiously, headlamps are aimed high in the stock Thars that i have seen.

(k) I haven't experienced any reason to complain in the engine bay but check for abormal fluid patches, missing nuts, cut wires etc.

(l) Very Imp. Check the clearance for the bumpstops (02 on either side, one each for upward and downward movement of the suspension arm) . From the front, the smaller one mounted on the chasis is visible, which stops downwards movement of the arm. This clearance on stock thars has been curiously observed to be zero. The other bigger bumpstop is visible behind the front axle and is mounted on the arm itself. Generally, this has adequate clearance. Exact values of clerances are not available with be presently, but will will try and update later. The clerance are dependant upon setting of the torsion bar setting. Most ASC guys are blissfully unaware of this and thus maintain the std line, 'Thar main aisa hi hai'

(m) One issue which will generally manifest itself only when the vehicle is driven over slightly rough surface is that of the canopy noise (kich kich) especially in the front portion. This is attributable to improper setting of the FRP hard portion which sits under the front canopy. By design, it is not supposed to make any noise so again dont accept, 'Soft top main to noise ati hi hai'. With proper setting of the rubber beadings, the canopy is noiseless.

(n) Door rattle in the side of which the front wheel travels in a rut/ pothole was a common occurance in the Thars which is attributable to swaying of the targa band/ B-pillar. The problem has been corrected on new Thars with the introduction of the cross bar between the A and B pillars. So a new Thar should not have this problem. So please check by deliberatley driving a particular front wheel in a pothole.

(p) While driving also check for any other abnormal rattles/ noices. By design, the Thar is supposed to be a silent runner other than canopy flapping noices above 70-80 kmph.

(q) Check for whitespots in the rear view mirrors and get them replaced if found.

(r) Check for hairline cracks in the inside door pulling handles due to overtightening, because that means early failure.

(s) Check allignment of wiper blades. In their movement, the wipers should not foul with the windscreen rubber beading.

(t) Check for Dents on the body, goes without saying. The Thar body is put together with age old MM540 dyes, so panels are not exacly flat or mirror finish, but dents are unacceptable.

Well, thats about it for the moment. Other members amy please contribute.
samwagon is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 22:32   #39
BHPian

OMG How I missed your thread @samwagon.

Hearty Congratulation ! I went through your thread line by line, man what a love and passion you have towards your Thar.

I liked all your modification as they are very simple and practical. Tempting to copy some of those, hope you don't mind.

I have a question, you like soft top look and you have central locking installed on tail gate as well, have you thought of making rear canopy flap lockable, may be some hooks etc. from inside.

I have lot of things planned however not getting free time to implement them.

Keep the thread updated, I am tuned now.

Cheers!
Vishal

Last edited by Thar4x4 : 22nd October 2013 at 22:36. Reason: added text
Old 22nd October 2013, 23:30   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
OMG How I missed your thread @samwagon.

Hearty Congratulation ! I went through your thread line by line, man what a love and passion you have towards your Thar.

I liked all your modification as they are very simple and practical. Tempting to copy some of those, hope you don't mind.

I have a question, you like soft top look and you have central locking installed on tail gate as well, have you thought of making rear canopy flap lockable, may be some hooks etc. from inside.

I have lot of things planned however not getting free time to implement them.

Keep the thread updated, I am tuned now.

Cheers!
Vishal
Thanks mate! for the kind words. The whole purpose of this thread is to share innovative ideas with other Thar owners and learn from them. I am sure a lot of Thar owners like you will come up with better solutions \ mods.

Regarding the lockable rear canopy flap, as of now I have a couple of ideas that I am working on :-

1. Replace zipper puller with the ones available for soft suicases etc which have a eye at the end which can be locked in a fixed combination lock screwed on the sides of the suitcase. The same combination lock can be screwed on to the tailgate top and used for locking the zippers on both ends. The items should be available at any decent bag repair shop.

2. Earlier holdalls and large bags used to come with twist locks which essentially consist of a twistable latch which can be passed tthrough a oval shaped eyelid and twisted to lock. In addition a small lock can be inserted into a hole at the end of the twistable portion for security. For the Thar canopy locking, the latch needs to be installed in the tail gate outer side top and the oval shaped eyelind installed in the overhang portion of the canopy flap exactly in front of the latch. So just pass the latch through the eyelid and twist for securing. Insert a small lock (I prefer a small combination lock so that additional key need nt be carried) and you are good to go.

I personally prefer the latter mod, but am unable to locate the outdated original brass twist locks. The ones available are those used in ladies purses made of very fragile metal.
samwagon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2013, 20:40   #41
BHPian

Another small and practical mod was done when my wife complained about absence of anything to hold onto while sitting in the back seat benches. She wanted something similar to those hanging handles found in buses. Though it was simple enough to source and install some I somehow didn't want my Thar's rear to look like a bus, so i bought a couple of handles (same as the one found in the Thar above the left ear of the co-driver). These were bolted onto the longitudinal frame member at the back. A couple of pics will make it clear. Now the rear most handle can be used for holding onto while getting in/out of the rear.
Attached Thumbnails
My li'l Red Mahindra Thar with some practical modifications-img2013102300631.jpg  

My li'l Red Mahindra Thar with some practical modifications-img2013102300633.jpg  

samwagon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th October 2013, 11:29   #42
BHPian

@samwagon - Very nicely detailed thread of all the mods you have done. Will be implementing a couple of your mods into my red Thar (named "Cherie") as well :-).

I used to have my phone + phone holder + DC to AC converter + old computer speakers for the music system - so didn't need to worry about any theft from the Thar (sound quality was decent for city but on highway speeds the volume was very poor). However couple of instances of the phone dying on me (not able to handle GPS navigation + play music + data +Bluetooth) lead me to get a basic head unit and 2 speakers.

One question for you - I Noticed the packing/stuffing of some cloth over the B-pillar under the hardshell of the driver cabin roof - any insights on that - has it helped with the creaks and squeaks ?
Old 24th October 2013, 12:15   #43
Senior - BHPian

That is a front cabin seperator to improve airconditioning in the Delhi summer.
Old 24th October 2013, 16:27   #44
BHPian

@ Samwagon, you have acutally moded the thar basis on your utility, really impressive.

by any chance were you driving throught bahadurgah on NH10 earlier this month, I recollect that I had spoted your Thar.
Old 24th October 2013, 19:58   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
@samwagon - Very nicely detailed thread of all the mods you have done. Will be implementing a couple of your mods into my red Thar (named "Cherie") as well :-).

I used to have my phone + phone holder + DC to AC converter + old computer speakers for the music system - so didn't need to worry about any theft from the Thar (sound quality was decent for city but on highway speeds the volume was very poor). However couple of instances of the phone dying on me (not able to handle GPS navigation + play music + data +Bluetooth) lead me to get a basic head unit and 2 speakers.

One question for you - I Noticed the packing/stuffing of some cloth over the B-pillar under the hardshell of the driver cabin roof - any insights on that - has it helped with the creaks and squeaks ?
Quote:
That is a front cabin seperator to improve airconditioning in the Delhi summer.
Nice observation mate. That is indeed a piece of cloth which should have ideally been replaced with a rectangular piece of black foam sheet to make it less obtrusive but somehow i neglected to do so. It is inserted on either side of the corners of the B-pillar under canopy to prevent squeaking of the canopy at the corners when either the B-pillar moves during driving on potholes or stretching of the canopy. But i think it is not required for 2013 Thars because the rubber beading of improved quality is used in between the hard roof and the B-pillar in the 2013 thars which prevents the noisemaking contact.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks