Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2014, 00:13   #106
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar CRDe - Forged in Hell!

I've been away for a long time! But with good reason.

My wife and I just completed a Bangalore-Ladakh-Bangalore trip. Returned just this evening, completing 8500 kms.

With regards to comfort, no issues when seated in the front.
Discomfort was caused during the following:
1. going fast over those multiple tiny speed breakers
2. side to side bobbing on places where there was no roads - like baralachla (if both wheels on the same level, then its ok, if one goes down and other goes up, it causes this very strong side to side bobbing)
3. If you are driving, you may not notice the above discomforts

I don't know if other vehicles can do better in the above points - no experience.

Safety:
1. Brakes - absolutely no issues. Stopped when I needed to. I don't press the clutch when braking, I donwshift when I have to stop immediately. I avoided hitting a dog that ran from left to right, then ran back to the left, and the vehicle moved in the other way to avoid it.

Others:
1. Continuous rainfall in Rajasthan, Gujarat, Maharashtra - caused water to leak from HHT and front windshield beadings -
2. Wiper stopped working near zojila in intermittent rains - replaced fuse after it stopped raining.
(does this happen when wiper is running when the windshield is dry ? )
3. Handbrake light stopped working in the dashboard.
4. Can do gps speeds of 130 to 140 (abt 3-4 kmph difference between speedo and gps) . But wind noise is high even with HHT

Other things and more details, I shall update soon.

I wanted to meet up with some of you enroute, but did not think of it before leaving, and no proper data connectivity in many places.

Mahindra Thar CRDe - Forged in Hell!-dsc03534.jpg
datvichrox2 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th September 2014, 14:04   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by datvichrox2 View Post
1. Continuous rainfall in Rajasthan, Gujarat, Maharashtra - caused water to leak from HHT and front windshield beadings -
Did it leak from the rear panel? Check the beading and see if it aligns correctly with the groove while closing. And clear the drain holes.

Did you face any cold starting problems in Ladakh?
Old 8th September 2014, 12:40   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. I just completed a Bangalore-Ladakh-Bangalore trip. Returned just this evening, completing 8500 kms. With regards to comfort, no issues when seated in the front. 2. Comfort, no issues when seated in the front. Side to side bobbing on places where there were no roads, like Baralachala. 3. Brakes, absolutely no issues. Stopped when I needed to. 4. Continuous rainfall in Rajasthan, Gujarat, Maharashtra caused water to leak from HT and front windshield beadings. 5. Wiper stopped working near zojila in intermittent rains, replaced fuse after it stopped raining. 6. Handbrake light stopped working in the dashboard.
Dear datvichrox2 - hello once again. My response to your comments from 1 to 6 are as follows. After comment 6, I have given a very important comment (addressed to all), see if you guys can get this implemented, best of luck!

1. Thanks, this proves the platform reliability and drivability / cruiseability. You must have cruised @ 120 kmph and not felt it also.
2. This vehicle is to be enjoyed by sitting in the front seats only!
3. I had mentioned that the brakes can still be improved. If you are satisfied with these brakes, just imagine the stopping power that you will get if the ultimate package is fitted.
4. HT is not an engineered item, so no comments. Please mention the exact location for windscreen leakage, I will tell you what to do. Fitment of HT changes windscreen mounting angle, then it will leak. These are all MM540 carryover parts.
5. Tell a good electrician in Bangalore to use Bosch headlight relay in the wiper system. A good electrician will know what to do. Then, the fuse will never blow and the wiper motor will be permanently protected from spikes also.
6. There is a switch below the handbrake lever, check for continuity.

Dear all - Important observation, ref comment - "Side to side bobbing on places where there were no roads, like Baralachala". For handling improvement, steering column rigidity needs to be improved. This is a Bolero VLX steering column with length increased by 15mm to accommodate the immobilizer module. Bolero VLX column has a 3 point mounting, Thar CRDe column has a 2 point mounting. Please introduce the third point mounting also. In the brake and clutch pedal mounting bracket, this provision is given, with the welded fastener already in place, but it is not used. All parts are available.

Do this and see how much the handling improves! Want to raise the bar? Do the ultimate brakes package, then do "two or three more things" (ahem! ), then enjoy as this thing transforms into a torpedo and cruises @ 160 kmph all day!

Oh come on now!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 19:26   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear datvichrox2 - hello once again. My response to your comments from 1 to 6 ....

Dear all - Important observation, ref comment - "Side to side bobbing on places where there were no roads, like Baralachala". For handling improvement, steering column rigidity needs to be improved. This is a Bolero VLX steering column with length increased by 15mm to accommodate the immobilizer module. Bolero VLX column has a 3 point mounting, Thar CRDe column has a 2 point mounting. Please introduce the third point mounting also. In the brake and clutch pedal mounting bracket, this provision is given, with the welded fastener already in place, but it is not used. All parts are available.

Do this and see how much the handling improves! Want to raise the bar? Do the ultimate brakes package, then do "two or three more things" (ahem! ), then enjoy as this thing transforms into a torpedo and cruises @ 160 kmph all day!

Oh come on now!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Sir, can you please elaborate the three point mounting. Pics would help. Also if any one on the forum has done this pls post photos. I don't remember reading about this on the forum earlier. This is a very useful modification.
samwagon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 19:35   #110
BHPian

Quote:
I've been away for a long time! But with good reason.

My wife and I just completed a Bangalore-Ladakh-Bangalore trip. Returned just this evening, completing 8500 kms.

With regards to comfort, no issues when seated in the front.
Discomfort was caused during the following:
1. going fast over those multiple tiny speed breakers
2. side to side bobbing on places where there was no roads - like baralachla (if both wheels on the same level, then its ok, if one goes down and other goes up, it causes this very strong side to side bobbing)
3. If you are driving, you may not notice the above discomforts

I don't know if other vehicles can do better in the above points - no experience.

Safety:
1. Brakes - absolutely no issues. Stopped when I needed to. I don't press the clutch when braking, I donwshift when I have to stop immediately. I avoided hitting a dog that ran from left to right, then ran back to the left, and the vehicle moved in the other way to avoid it.

Others:
2. Wiper stopped working near zojila in intermittent rains - replaced fuse after it stopped raining.
(does this happen when wiper is running when the windshield is dry ? )
3. Handbrake light stopped working in the dashboard.
4. Can do gps speeds of 130 to 140 (abt 3-4 kmph difference between speedo and gps) . But wind noise is high even with HHT

Other things and more details, I shall update soon.

I wanted to meet up with some of you enroute, but did not think of it before leaving, and no proper data connectivity in many places.
Congratulations I'm sure Ladakh will look & feel better in a Thar than any other vehicle.
As regards the leakage, I'm facing the same issue. It leaks from the bottom of the windshield beading & drips right on my feet The HHT also leaks through the rear door beading as well as the front top where it meets the B pillar. Wind noise at speeds above 90 is irritating. What I do is pump up the volume. The side to side bobbing is something I need to work on. Will see if I can implement Behram Sir's advice. If only it could be explained with pictures.
Old 9th September 2014, 14:09   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwagon View Post
Sir, can you please elaborate the three point mounting. I don't remember reading about this on the forum earlier. This is a very useful modification.
Dear Samwagon - hello. Of course you will not remember reading about the 3 point mounting of the steering column like Bolero because this is the first time that I have mentioned it. Like this, there are many other things that can be done to improve this vehicle and raise the bar to a completely different level! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 9th September 2014, 16:33   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwagon View Post
Sir, can you please elaborate the three point mounting.
Yes please. Pardon my ignorance but is the "side to side" bobbing mentioned in the first post the same as the vehicle swaying sideways over potholes? Is it a steering issue or a suspension related issue?
Old 22nd October 2014, 00:05   #113
BANNED

DB SIR if you can make the bobbing stop i am ready to go to any place to get it done. I have upgraded brakes as per to your suggestion and they are awesome.
Waiting for a positive reply from you. But as am a doc i could not understand or connect to how steering column changes will stop the bobbing around which is due tot the suspension?????
Old 30th October 2014, 14:35   #114
BHPian

Quick update.. Was at sireesh auto today to pick up my thar from 3rd service.. Saw this expedition edition Thar..
Mahindra Thar CRDe - Forged in Hell!-1414659575561.jpg

The exhaust routing seems to be different.. Not sure if this is old news... Attaching pics.. The cat con is placed much behind..

Mahindra Thar CRDe - Forged in Hell!-1414659600833.jpg
Mahindra Thar CRDe - Forged in Hell!-1414659626811.jpg

It also had this inside console which integrated well with the stock stereo location.. Redesign?

Mahindra Thar CRDe - Forged in Hell!-1414659780243.jpgMahindra Thar CRDe - Forged in Hell!-1414659756798.jpgClick image for larger version

Name:	1414659780243.jpg
Views:	1225
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	1304217Mahindra Thar CRDe - Forged in Hell!-1414659806037.jpgMahindra Thar CRDe - Forged in Hell!-1414659822146.jpg

I know there are a lot of updates pending from my side.. Will try to get back to this thread soon! Cheers!
datvichrox2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 10:48   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quick update.. Was at sireesh auto today to pick up my thar from 3rd service.. Saw this expedition edition Thar..
Attachment 1304213

The exhaust routing seems to be different.. Not sure if this is old news... Attaching pics.. The cat con is placed much behind..

Attachment 1304214
Attachment 1304215

It also had this inside console which integrated well with the stock stereo location.. Redesign?

Attachment 1304217Attachment 1304216Attachment 1304217Attachment 1304218Attachment 1304219

I know there are a lot of updates pending from my side.. Will try to get back to this thread soon! Cheers!
thanks for the update. Can you please share some more information on this. I am planning to buy a Thar and will definitely like to buy this one.
Old 31st October 2014, 11:17   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
.. I am planning to buy a Thar and will definitely like to buy this one.
You need to hurry, they are going to sell only 30 such pieces!
Old 31st October 2014, 15:59   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
thanks for the update. Can you please share some more information on this. I am planning to buy a Thar and will definitely like to buy this one.
They have not got the price list for the expedition edition yet.. I think Except for the paint job everything else used to be available as an accessory previously.. Bumper, center console etc.. I'm sure these can be bought separately as they would definitely want to sell more than 30, at least as accessories to existing customers.. Center console was discontinued earlier as it required stereo location to be changed.. New design seems to have fixed that issue..
Old 31st October 2014, 16:13   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
You need to hurry, they are going to sell only 30 such pieces!
Yes. but still complete information is not with the dealer and this model is not launched at my area dealership.

Quote:
They have not got the price list for the expedition edition yet.. I think Except for the paint job everything else used to be available as an accessory previously.. Bumper, center console etc.. I'm sure these can be bought separately as they would definitely want to sell more than 30, at least as accessories to existing customers.. Center console was discontinued earlier as it required stereo location to be changed.. New design seems to have fixed that issue..
True. They dont have any clue on pricing and most accessories can be bought extra but most important feature of this model is the new color shade and center console. Now it depends how aggressively they have placed this Adventure edition.
I inquired Delhi dealer for vehicle but they cannot help much since they cannot sell outside their state. I have requested my Lucknow dealer to talk to Mahindra for this

Last edited by ruchirtnt : 31st October 2014 at 16:25.
Old 1st November 2014, 10:36   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
They have not got the price list for the expedition edition yet. Except for the paint job everything else used to be available as an accessory previously.
Dear datvichrox2 and all - I do not see any "value addition" at all. This is sugar coated accessories sale, saar! .

See the photographs, will this contraption ever pass factory QA? The draping of the seat covers has more wrinkles than my canopy. Opera House in Mumbai will sell better stuff. See the mismatch of the center console with the production instrument panel and even if you ignore it, then also, even the "etching" pattern is not the same, at least that should match! And stickers on a 4*4 vehicle that we mad guys enjoy brushing against trees and branches? Oh come on now! The biggest sacrilege is covering the front mudguard from the front, now it does not look like Jeep! Oh my God!

There is a lot of difference in what could have been done and what is done. Sad! But I guess in India, anything sells!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 1st November 2014 at 10:39.
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st November 2014, 11:25   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear datvichrox2 and all - I do not see any "value addition" at all. This is sugar coated accessories sale, saar! .

See the photographs, will this contraption ever pass factory QA? The draping of the seat covers has more wrinkles than my canopy. Opera House in Mumbai will sell better stuff. See the mismatch of the center console with the production instrument panel and even if you ignore it, then also, even the "etching" pattern is not the same, at least that should match! And stickers on a 4*4 vehicle that we mad guys enjoy brushing against trees and branches? Oh come on now! The biggest sacrilege is covering the front mudguard from the front, now it does not look like Jeep! Oh my God!

There is a lot of difference in what could have been done and what is done. Sad! But I guess in India, anything sells!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Agree with you Sir.

But what about the cat con placement ? Is this better ?

Fuel consumption calculation for my Ladakh trip is done:
Average 10.35 over 8505 Kms
Details in screenshot:

Name:  FuelConsumptionTharLadakh.png
Views: 2659
Size:  53.2 KB
datvichrox2 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed