Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2014, 11:22   #31
BHPian

Re: 1 day old Mahindra Thar catches fire! Damages 3rd-party property too

Who declared M&M guilty? Why the pitchforks people? How are we zeroing-in that its the fault of M&M/ Vehicle? Who ruled out other factors like Arson, Gas leak etc.? Nobody saw how the fire started unlike the Nano cases where the owners were driving it and could have ruled out other factors. Currently all three factors could have lead to fire unless proved otherwise we can't blame only one factor.

Dealership/ M&M can gesture to take the first step to investigate it but they cannot be held responsible for the fire. That's guilty without trail.

Last edited by mac187 : 10th April 2014 at 11:26.
mac187 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 14:14   #32
BHPian

Can somebody post the link to this news ? I googled but did not get any results regarding this fire.
Old 10th April 2014, 15:30   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
Who declared M&M guilty? Why the pitchforks people? How are we zeroing-in that its the fault of M&M/ Vehicle? Who ruled out other factors like Arson, Gas leak etc.? Nobody saw how the fire started unlike the Nano cases where the owners were driving it and could have ruled out other factors. Currently all three factors could have lead to fire unless proved otherwise we can't blame only one factor.

Dealership/ M&M can gesture to take the first step to investigate it but they cannot be held responsible for the fire. That's guilty without trail.
Dealership and Mahindras must take up the first step to get it investigated by a third party (in case they are confident that the fault is not with the vehicle). After all it is their reputation at stake and not the owner's. They are guilty of not helping or assisting the helpless customer for sure. I mean how could you abandon a one day old customer who trusted your product with his hard earned money!
Old 10th April 2014, 18:01   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Dealership and Mahindras must take up the first step to get it investigated by a third party (in case they are confident that the fault is not with the vehicle). After all it is their reputation at stake and not the owner's. They are guilty of not helping or assisting the helpless customer for sure. I mean how could you abandon a one day old customer who trusted your product with his hard earned money!
Since when did people expect automobile manufacturers to become investigative agency? One can demand for service/ warranty he has paid for, I am not sure one can demand help/ assistance, as it is not binding on the other party to help you. On your last statement, do you mean is it ok for the company to abandon a decade old customer but not a day old customer?
Old 10th April 2014, 18:18   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
Since when did people expect automobile manufacturers to become investigative agency? One can demand for service/ warranty he has paid for, I am not sure one can demand help/ assistance, as it is not binding on the other party to help you. On your last statement, do you mean is it ok for the company to abandon a decade old customer but not a day old customer?
I will expect them to investigate if there is a problem in the car I purchased. I will demand an explanation on how my day old car burnt. It may not be binding but I always got help from my dealers whenever required.

To answer your last question, I will put it in another way -"What support will you give to a decade old customer if you can abandon a day old customer?' Hope this clarifies.
Old 10th April 2014, 19:41   #36
BHPian

Self cranking used to happen in 1993 TATA Sierra. The fault was with the ignition switch. Jay make, If I remember correctly. Later they changed it to Minda. Sierra owners used to keep gears in neutral with hand brake on.
My thoughts for the cause.
Two things may have happened

1.The main + cable going to the Starter solenoid switch that is tightened by a nut might have come loose causing the cable to come in contact with the main wire leading to Ignition switch. This made the starter self cranking. Over a period of time the cable heated up & Insulation melted leading to a small fire which ignited the sound proofing material. Remember Battery is new which means more power.

2. Plain simple stabbage. Jealousy
narendra.vw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2014, 04:29   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
According to the owner(i interacted with him on FB),the vehicle started on its own and rolled back.
Few days back my brother's Bolero's engine did not switch off even after he removed the key from Ignition. Somehow he managed to switch it off after some effort. And the problem??? We are still searching...
JoseVijay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2014, 12:55   #38
Senior - BHPian

Something is fishy here. I am sure its a outside reason due to which Thar has caught fire and not from the inside. Jealousy could be one of the reasons. There are many cases happened already where the cars / bikes are burned deliberately due to some personal reasons.

Feel very sad for the owner. He must have many dreams for his Thar, sadly it couldn't last for 1 day also.
Old 11th April 2014, 14:26   #39
BHPian

Just wondering whether it could be related to the pooja that people do to new cars. I mean any thing flammable like paper/threads of garlands/ clothing or any similar stuff might cause a flame if in contact with the hot exhaust, right?
Old 11th April 2014, 14:37   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
Few days back my brother's Bolero's engine did not switch off even after he removed the key from Ignition. Somehow he managed to switch it off after some effort. And the problem??? We are still searching...
If it is a Mahindra, it can surely happen without reason. I too own a 2012 Bolero and I am very familiar with its build quality. Insulation on wires is coming off or has loosened dangerously not only inside the engine bay but also inside the passenger cabin.

I love my Bolero for the rawness and ruggedness it possess, however, the build quality (not engine but how the things have been put together) is a major let down as if it was build in a garage next door.

I don't think Mahindras do any PDI other than sticking PDI OK sticker. From day one I bought my jeep, the driver side power window is faulty, brake lights have been changed couple of times, once even saw coolant leaking from the engine bay from the particular point from where it is fed into engine, reason: some seal melted (do not remember exactly what we call that thing but it took entire day to mend it).

The point I am making here is that there is a great chance that the said Thar became victim of Mahindras apathy towards quality and desire to build a niggle free product. Mahindras sell like hot cakes especially among rural folks and sarkari departments so the company just does not bothers to care as long as the sales are coming.

Visit any Mahindra service station and you would meet people facing strange problems, not with engines but with the electronics, some light doesn't going off on the console, Empty fuel light blinking even when tank is full and what not. Premium XUV has over dozen threads with thousand posts with owners cribbing about sometime something going wrong without warning.
jeepster_chd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2014, 15:44   #41
BHPian

This is so shocking to see. I have no idea how it would have caught fire, I only am worried about the huge capital loss that Mr Pawan would experience. Only good news to ears is that nobody was hurt.

I hope Mahindra is courteous enough to investigate this and help the owner
Old 11th April 2014, 16:53   #42
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
Replace the ignition key assembly.
Rajith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2014, 17:07   #43
Senior - BHPian

Fire in the vehicles due to electrical reasons happen mostly, while the vehicle is being used or driven.

This particular case looks like a case of arson or sabotage.

M&M or the dealership should at least help the customer in the investigation as its their brand vehicle.

Otherwise it would be treated as a case of just another vehicle catching fire.
Old 11th April 2014, 17:59   #44
BHPian

So the Thar went from spanking new to smoking hot in about 10 minutes!

I hope it wasn't arson ('coz if it was, then that is just plain disturbing). Arson would mean that a jealous neighbor or a plain maniac decided to get rid of the owner's joy.
But just to exercise our grey cells with that possibility - How easy is it to set fire to a Mahindra Thar, such that in about 10 minutes it is beyond saving? Is such a scenario even possible? If yes, how? If ways exist to do this, then that should be stopped.

Also, is it possible that someone mistakenly left burning pooja-material too close to flammable parts of the under carriage - like parts with lots of brand new grease and oil present?
Old 11th April 2014, 19:21   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
New vehicle with incomplete PDI, owner new to the operation of various controls in the vehicle, may be wrong operation of 4WD controls, may be owner did put in some accessories but doesn't want to disclose, etc.
New vehicle with incomplete PDI : So what?
owner new to the operation of various controls in the vehicle : So what?
may be wrong operation of 4WD controls : So what?
These does Not in any way justify the fire!
Only accessories, that too electrical or such can somewhat explain the reason.

Most Viewed