Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2016, 19:30   #226
Senior - BHPian

re: A Mahindra CJ500 DP and a custom made Expedition Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Guys your suggestions for insulating the FRP top from within. Am thinking of using the soft black theromocool sheet that is generally used to give a cushioning effect or for packing goods. Will it be enough to insulate the interiors from becoming too cold at night or too warm during the day?.
Thermocol is used extensively for insulation. For car roofs it is the ideal material as it used in a lot of models.

Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2016, 09:57   #227
Senior - BHPian

Guys I need the RTO approval code for the Mahindra Owen Trailer. Can someone please provide the same? How did you register your jeep trailer?
Old 12th February 2016, 21:33   #228
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Ask one of the neighbouring Tea Estates what they have done for one of their NEW leaf trailers. (Old times - anything went).

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2016, 20:49   #229
Senior - BHPian

[quote=wanderernomad;3901150Something like the front end of the tent in the following picture.[/QUOTE]

We had something like this ("Opus" photo posted) when we were growing up - they were known as "pop-up" campers, and were highly practical with plenty of storage (under seating benches), a fold-out table, a wash basin, sleeping space for four, etc. No need to find a flat, stone-less spot to set up a tent - so long as your car can pull it there, it can be comfortably set-up. If memory serves, ours was Cox branded, a second-hand leftover likely from the early 70's, and reminiscent, in shape and color, of a mushroom when unfolded! We had had a lot of good times in it as kids, vacationing, most memorably, on something like an island off the coast of Maine... but till now, I never thought of the possibility of building one for use here in India. Great ideas flowing here. The Scorpio vlx 4x4 owned by a local institution came equipped with a standard ball-type trailer hitch, and I was wondering what on earth M&M was thinking, as I've never (apart from a few old CJ's) seen a civilian pulling a trailer. I'll have a word with our local RTO up here, who I found friendly enough on an earlier occasion - and see what he says about registering.

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 14th February 2016 at 21:02.
ringoism is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 13:18   #230
Senior - BHPian

A funny thing is happening. After I have driven a few kms the battery charging lights starts to glow at first dim then slightly more and at times reaches about 50% brightness. All this happens as the ammeter shows the needle creeping back to the mid 0 point from the + side. Does it mean the battery is no longer charging? If yes what could be the cause, a loose belt?
Old 23rd February 2016, 13:36   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A funny thing is happening. After I have driven a few kms the battery charging lights starts to glow at first dim then slightly more and at times reaches about 50% brightness. All this happens as the ammeter shows the needle creeping back to the mid 0 point from the + side. Does it mean the battery is no longer charging? If yes what could be the cause, a loose belt?
This is normal behavior. As the vehicle runs, the battery is charging and as it nears full charge, the voltage increases, the charging current decreases (to prevent overcharging and save the battery) and finally the charging current will be very little as the battery will only need trickle charge.
Old 23rd February 2016, 15:31   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
This is normal behavior
But than why battery red light is glowing ? i understand ammeter or amp meter part.
As per my understanding red light blinks when alternator is not able to charge battery.

Shubhendra
Old 23rd February 2016, 15:57   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
But than why battery red light is glowing ? i understand ammeter or amp meter part.
As per my understanding red light blinks when alternator is not able to charge battery.

Shubhendra
I have not seen it blinking but the light does not go off when the battery is not being charged.
Old 23rd February 2016, 18:23   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have not seen it blinking but the light does not go off when the battery is not being charged.
I would have more faith in the ammeter than in the charging light.

The alternator will normally be always charging the battery, if it is fully charged then a "trickle" charge will still be there. The alternator will also be delivering (how ever small) current to all the accessories as well as to the ECU. The only method of checking whether the charging light is functioning properly is to note i when he engine is off, or to disconnect the alternator lead.
Old 23rd February 2016, 21:17   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A) Bad quality of connection between alternator output and battery.
or
B) One of the main output diodes is open circuited/ dry soldered etc.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 12:12   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Wanderernomad - replace the alternator diodes. The charging lamp must be completely off, partial glow is not permitted.

Dear Aroy - the alternator needs to function without any accessory in its primary circuit. The main output wire must go directly to the battery positive terminal (means starter motor terminal). "Without any accessory" means ammeter also. My new CL340 came with the ammeter in 1995. I took it out of the circuit on the same day after taking delivery, by assembling both the wires on one terminal at it's back. The alternator was Lucas TVS SA15 without the vacuum pump.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 21:20   #237
Senior - BHPian

Would like to add that a bad connection is more likely, and easier to check/ eliminate. Keep in mind that in this case eyeballing is not sufficient. Measure (with an analog voltmeter). Or for testing purposes jury rig. Connectors/ wires which look perfect very often are not up to the mark when carrying high currents.

Move to diodes only after eliminating connections.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2016, 09:15   #238
Senior - BHPian

The summer look for the jeep. Thinking of getting a bikini top made but dont want to use the canvas. If I were to use cotton cloth for the top will it flap when driven or it can be straightened and tightened enough. Does somebody know from where a khakhi canvas can be sourced? It is not available either at Jorhat, Guwahati, Dimapur, Dibrugarh.
Attached Thumbnails
A Mahindra CJ500 DP and a custom made Expedition Trailer-img_20160227_113717526.jpg  

A Mahindra CJ500 DP and a custom made Expedition Trailer-img_20160227_113725860.jpg  

wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2016, 13:05   #239
Senior - BHPian

Need suggestions for the clutch upgrade overhaul. Thanks.
Old 6th April 2016, 17:06   #240
Senior - BHPian

The basic frame of the trailer is now complete and the wood work shall start this week.

Also please suggest options for clutch overhaul. Sutripta Da specifically your suggestions please as I think I need to look after the knee.
Attached Thumbnails
A Mahindra CJ500 DP and a custom made Expedition Trailer-img_20160404_131656674_hdr.jpg  

A Mahindra CJ500 DP and a custom made Expedition Trailer-img_20160404_131712619_hdr.jpg  

A Mahindra CJ500 DP and a custom made Expedition Trailer-img_20160404_131737375_hdr.jpg  

A Mahindra CJ500 DP and a custom made Expedition Trailer-img_20160404_131817616_hdr.jpg  

A Mahindra CJ500 DP and a custom made Expedition Trailer-img_20160404_131824836_hdr.jpg  

Last edited by wanderernomad : 6th April 2016 at 17:21.
wanderernomad is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed