Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2014, 21:18   #76
Senior - BHPian

re: A Mahindra CJ500 DP and a custom made Expedition Trailer

[quote=Sutripta;3466409

Neither.

Regards
Sutripta[/QUOTE]

Dada could you get a fix on what is bothering you?
Old 3rd July 2014, 18:39   #77
Senior - BHPian

No progress on rebuild. The work is slow as the mechanics spend more time on daily running repairs than this rebuild. However, after a lot cajoling I think I have been able to convince the mechanic to make the jeep roadworthy by this week end so that we can start road trials. Keeping finger crossed. What would be a disadvantage of mounting a heavy duty tow hook on the k member instead of the smaller lighter jeep tow hook?
Old 4th July 2014, 11:18   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
No progress on rebuild. The work is slow as the mechanics spend more time on daily running repairs than this rebuild.
Get used to it, daily running repairs are quick money for them than a ground up restoration for few thousands

Quote:
What would be a disadvantage of mounting a heavy duty tow hook on the k member instead of the smaller lighter jeep tow hook?
First question is why you are going overboard ? If you are going to tow a full loaded tractor trolley to more than normal incline or decline than only go for something (I once tried to tow 70% loaded tractor trolley and my Jeep's (CJ3B with International engine) pintle hook gave way resulting bend hook, trolley capsizing into river. If you want to go for bigger hook (probably from Nissan 1 tonne or Shaktiman etc) your hook size will increase and normal D shackles, smaller holes for Jeep trolley may not be able to fit.

Shubhendra Singh
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2014, 13:15   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Get used to it, daily running repairs are quick money for them than a ground up restoration for few thousands

First question is why you are going overboard ? If you are going to tow a full loaded tractor trolley to more than normal incline or decline than only go for something (I once tried to tow 70% loaded tractor trolley and my Jeep's (CJ3B with International engine) pintle hook gave way resulting bend hook, trolley capsizing into river. If you want to go for bigger hook (probably from Nissan 1 tonne or Shaktiman etc) your hook size will increase and normal D shackles, smaller holes for Jeep trolley may not be able to fit.

Shubhendra Singh
I would be attaching a trailer loaded up with cooking stoves, power generator and other camping stuff and hence wanted a more powerful hook, as had read on a few forums that the hook gave away. But Ill reinforce the mounting brackets and us the standard jeep hook.
Old 5th July 2014, 16:15   #80
Senior - BHPian

Still slow progress. The mechanic wants to change the floor mounted accelerator pedal to the hanging type. I want him to stick to the floor mounted one but, he says he is not getting the parts to fix it properly. Also, please have a look at this rim. Can it be hammered back into shape and used safely? Despite being bent, the tyre still retains the tube and the pressure inside it.
Attached Thumbnails
A Mahindra CJ500 DP and a custom made Expedition Trailer-img_20140705_120019986.jpg  

A Mahindra CJ500 DP and a custom made Expedition Trailer-img_20140705_120030251.jpg  

A Mahindra CJ500 DP and a custom made Expedition Trailer-img_20140705_120305000.jpg  

A Mahindra CJ500 DP and a custom made Expedition Trailer-img_20140705_120314496.jpg  

Last edited by wanderernomad : 5th July 2014 at 16:16.
Old 7th July 2014, 20:38   #81
Senior - BHPian

No way, You are building a new Jeep. Go for new rims or second hand onesI am sure you can find old rims in better shapes.

You live very far off over 1800 Km from here, rims are available in Mayapuri, Delhi.

The rims in the picture have been hammered many times to remove punctured tyres and remount them.

If you can and are going for new tyres make sure they are tubeless and mounted on four new rims. Go for Bolero steel rims.

I am sure this investment in new rims and tubeless tyres will be worthwhile.

Can you make a trip to Mayapuri Delhi ? You will be able to find many new and old parts. Almost whatever you need. Including absolutely new vehicles ( almost ) of the same model.

Last edited by desertfox : 7th July 2014 at 20:40.
desertfox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 00:43   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
No way, You are building a new Jeep. Go for new rims or second hand onesI am sure you can find old rims in better shapes.

You live very far off over 1800 Km from here, rims are available in Mayapuri, Delhi.

The rims in the picture have been hammered many times to remove punctured tyres and remount them.

If you can and are going for new tyres make sure they are tubeless and mounted on four new rims. Go for Bolero steel rims.

I am sure this investment in new rims and tubeless tyres will be worthwhile.

Can you make a trip to Mayapuri Delhi ? You will be able to find many new and old parts. Almost whatever you need. Including absolutely new vehicles ( almost ) of the same model.
Mate, that's just one rim but two pictures and intended to keep it as a spare. But ok point taken. I have the original 500 rims too and would have loved to keep them but these rims from a Marshall looked better so simply swapped them. Not going for new tyres as of now but first intend to get the jeep on road, drive a couple of months and then replace what's not good and repaint.
I am posted to NE and one day shall be back to the old hunting grounds up north. I have access to mayapuri and also the resources to get the stuff moved from there but still I find a lot of jeep stuff available in Assam and in particularly Jorhat if someone is looking for vintage parts. There are a couple of godowns here filled with God knows what junk from WWII allied jeep parts.
PS:: last time I drove down, Mayapuri was about 2500 kms

Last edited by wanderernomad : 8th July 2014 at 00:46.
Old 8th July 2014, 10:13   #83
Senior - BHPian

If you happen to tour the Jorhat junk yard again let me know please if a Solex 134 carburettor is available and Fuel pump for CJ3B.

Also original steering and seats, bumpers if any.
Old 8th July 2014, 11:09   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Go for Bolero steel rims.
PCD for bolero rims are different. these rims are 139.7 whereas bolero, thar, scorpio etc are 160.
If you are planning to buy new rims, you can use Thar Di rims.

There is no harm in repairing the current ones and using them though !

Shubhendra
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 14:40   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you happen to tour the Jorhat junk yard again let me know please if a Solex 134 carburettor is available and Fuel pump for CJ3B.

Also original steering and seats, bumpers if any.
Things noted. Shall let you know, ill go and pay them a visit today itself otherwise it may take some time as I am off for the annual chutti from 12th July till 2 Aug. Solex and fuel pump may be possible and the steering, seats and bumpers I don't think so.
Old 8th July 2014, 18:05   #86
Senior - BHPian

Some progress. Diesel tank has been refitted and connected to the fuel pump. Brake master cylinder is fitted and Alternator assembly is going on, older dynamo and cutout have been removed. Can anyone tell me why are there vents only beneath the front co driver fender? There are two scoops as marked by red arrows, if they are for venting the engine heat, would it not make sense to have them on the driver side too?
Attached Thumbnails
A Mahindra CJ500 DP and a custom made Expedition Trailer-img_20140708_153713385.jpg  

A Mahindra CJ500 DP and a custom made Expedition Trailer-img_20140708_154504185.jpg  

A Mahindra CJ500 DP and a custom made Expedition Trailer-img_20140708_155228021.jpg  

A Mahindra CJ500 DP and a custom made Expedition Trailer-img_20140708_160340575.jpg  

A Mahindra CJ500 DP and a custom made Expedition Trailer-img_20140708_160359798.jpg  

Old 8th July 2014, 23:28   #87
Senior - BHPian

Can this rim be actually repaired and with tyre fitted be brought to zero balance ? I doubt a new machine made rim will always rotate better, at least with the techology available in most Indian garages balancing this rotorable to perfection will be difficult.
Old 9th July 2014, 00:24   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can this rim be actually repaired and with tyre fitted be brought to zero balance ? I doubt a new machine made rim will always rotate better, at least with the techology available in most Indian garages balancing this rotorable to perfection will be difficult.
Yup but this would be used as a spare, only to be used sparingly over short distance only. If it does not work out, ill use the older original rim which is in good condition.
Old 4th August 2014, 23:15   #89
Senior - BHPian

Went to the garage after 20 days and still no progress on body patch work or the scissors. Am tired of the tinker there and have threatened to move the jeep out to some other workshop for body work. Mechanically, it is fit to roll out for the test drives but they replaced my jeep alternator with a gypsy one. I have asked them to switch back to the bigger jeep one. Hopefully, I should be able to take her out for the first ride towards this weekend.
Old 5th August 2014, 17:21   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Went to the garage after 20 days and still no progress on body patch work or the scissors. Am tired of the tinker there and have threatened to move the jeep out to some other workshop for body work. Mechanically, it is fit to roll out for the test drives but they replaced my jeep alternator with a gypsy one. I have asked them to switch back to the bigger jeep one. Hopefully, I should be able to take her out for the first ride towards this weekend.
Dear wanderernomad - tired from now only? "abhi to shuruwaat hai, aage aage dekh kya hota hai". This frustration with mechanics, electricians, tinkers and painters is a part and parcel of trying to restore a Jeep! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks