Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2017, 06:56   #226
Senior - BHPian

Re: Review: The Force Gurkha 4x4

I test drove a one year old Gurkha at Mandi, H.P. yesterday (June 23, 2017). It had the 85hp engine. It was the 3 door model.

It was a short drive and I didn't get a full picture of what this vehicle can and cannot do.

I offer this incomplete narrative only because there is a lack of info and knowledge on this site about this vehicle. Here it goes:

1.) Good low end torque. It walked up a medium grade rutted rock/dirt road in idle without a hint of pooping out.

2.) Absolutely excellent driver seating position and view out the front windshield. You sit high above the front bonnet. The square-flat shape of the bonnet makes picking up the left side body limits very easy. This alone was very impressive. Great to-the-front visibility. Dunno about the rear, too many passenger heads in the way, dealer sales people and sundry hangers-on.

3.) Lots of body roll. I only was able to get it up to 45kph due to traffic. But when I tried some quick flick left, flick right maneuvers, the roll was VERY pronounced. I suspect this might be a handful upon, say, a 90khp quick evasive maneuver.

4.) This vehicle is VERY truck-like. The suspension transmits every little bump. It is as if the Force engineers never spent any time tuning the suspension or shocks to fit the vehicle. The new model coming out maybe addresses this somewhat? Dunno.

5.) New gear box is forth-coming the dealer said. This is good because the one on this vehicle was not easy to use, but I've driven worse. First gear is to the rear with reverse sitting on top to the front so it is easy to fall to the habit of reaching for 1st gear only to grind it into the beginnings of reverse. I did this twice and incurred the sour lemon looks of their sales guy and mechanic. Very trucky, but that's okay. You walk this thing thru the gears. You don't snap it thru the gears like a Maruti puddle jumper.

6.) This is a rough vehicle. A truck. A truck from 20 years ago. This will put people off. It ain't slick. The interior, the dash was cheap and chintzy. It reminded me a lot of my ole Tata Sumo interior.

But, this alone will not dismay a lot of us rural mountain folk. The thing GOES UP and the thing handles bad roads.

I got a taste and now I am looking forward to seeing/driving the new and improved version. I would not automatically rule out the 85bhp motor. It had a quick throttle response and was reasonably torky (my own word).

My first date with this girl was not love at first sight. But I am going to ask her for a second date when she completes her makeover.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 24th June 2017 at 07:00. Reason: spelling
DirtyDan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th June 2017, 13:03   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
2.) Absolutely excellent driver seating position and view out the front windshield. You sit high above the front bonnet. The square-flat shape of the bonnet makes picking up the left side body limits very easy. This alone was very impressive. Great to-the-front visibility. Dunno about the rear, too many passenger heads in the way, dealer sales people and sundry hangers-on.

4.) This vehicle is VERY truck-like. The suspension transmits every little bump. It is as if the Force engineers never spent any time tuning the suspension or shocks to fit the vehicle. The new model coming out maybe addresses this somewhat? Dunno.
Yes, i loved the view and it's addictive.

The new ones come with Front - "Independent with Coil Spring mounted on Struts, Gas Charged Hydraulic Telescopic Shock Absorbers & Anti Roll Bar" and Rear "Multi Link with Pan Hard Rod and Coil Springs, Gas Charged Hydraulic Telescopic Shock Absorbers & Anti Roll Bar".

No Leaf Spring at the rear should be good.
Old 25th June 2017, 13:56   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I got a taste and now I am looking forward to seeing/driving the new and improved version. I would not automatically rule out the 85bhp motor. It had a quick throttle response and was reasonably torky (my own word).
The main issues related to steering, gearbox and suspension has been addressed. The steering is now rack and pinion and fairly direct. The suspension of the version you drove was Torsion bar up front and leaf spring at the rear. The current version has coil all around and is very comfortable.

Now regarding the crude interiors, I am okay with crude interiors for a 6 lakh Thar DI, but not when I have to shell out 10 + lakhs. Same with the engine, there is not reason why one cannot make atleat 100 bhp/26 kgm Torque from an OM616 derived engine.

I too live in the hills, but even in the hills, sometimes I get a brief few seconds to overtake and when I floor it I want the vehicle to move also. If I was only carrying bricks the I would look at only Torque, but when it is also a personal vehicle drivability and engine response at higher speeds is also important to me.

If Force can put better interiors and better engine, I would any day pick this over the Thar CRDe but not in it's current Form.
4x4addict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2017, 15:49   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
The main issues related to steering, gearbox and suspension has been addressed...

I too live in the hills, but even in the hills, sometimes I get a brief few seconds to overtake and when I floor it I want the vehicle to move also. If I was only carrying bricks the I would look at only Torque, but when it is also a personal vehicle drivability and engine response at higher speeds is also important to me.
Hi Tini,

The Force web site confirms what you say about the steering, suspension and gear box. The dealership owner and I talked. He seemed to be of the opinion that the rumour about a move to the FM2.2 engine is only a "concept car" at this point. I would not buy the bigger 5 door Expedition with the 85bhp motor for the reasons you site. But, I would buy the smaller 3 door Explorer. You and I have different usage requirements, but no real disagreement on the Gurkha.

Arka has previously warned us about rack and pinion steering on off-roaders. It tends not to hold up and it tends to break tie rod ends, on a vehicle that already has a reputation for going thru ball joints and tie rods kind of quickly.
Going to have to drive a new one, going to have to get more info on the ball joints and tie rods and their availability. More research is forthcoming. Onward and upward.
DirtyDan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2017, 12:18   #230
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Arka has previously warned us about rack and pinion steering on off-roaders.
Arka has a valid point. However, the Thar CRDe has been holding up with Rack and pinion with 33 inch + tyres for a long time now. Only the RFC guys convert to tractor type pure hydraulic steering. Basically for casual off-road and regular rough use, rack and pinion is a decent compromise as it gives more direct steering feed back.

Quote:
on a vehicle that already has a reputation for going thru ball joints and tie rods kind of quickly.
The steering set up is completely different from the Gurkha you drove. The Gurkha you drove has a steering box that sits under the driver foot well, just like the full forward cabin trucks. From there there are a whole slew of linkages before it reaches the wheels. The current one is very identical to the Thar CRDe. One U joint between the box and the steering and then directly from the box to the wheel with one ball joint on either side. See my detailed pictures in the other gurkha thread.

Frankly if you are okay with the engine/interiors, this vehicle is a pretty good buy.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 13:12   #231
BHPian

2017 Force Gurkha 4x4 post GST prices

Gone are those days when an enthusiastic offroader made an enquiry, ordered and waited for FORCE Motors to respond. Just an enquiry on their website opened the floodgates of response and this customer centric transformation of FORCE Motors is pleasant . Elsewhere in this thread too our fellow TBHPians have reflected the same. Hope FORCE MOTORS has come of age and hence lets strongly believe that the FM2.2 litre engine+ABS+AIRBAGS come in sooner than those government enforced mandatory safety standards set in as the norm. Until then, its time to drool over the handsome iterations that are lining up their showrooms. GST prices are unavailable yet but the GURKHA Explorer Hard top seems to have come in the ball park range of INR 10,00,000 OTR, and the GURKHA EXPEDITION(4X2) ~INR 9,00,000. So you get a hardtop 4X4 offroader with snorkel, Diff locks, AC, Power steering and comfortable coil springs all around for just around the magical million rupee figures
Attached Thumbnails
Review: The Force Gurkha 4x4-img20170713wa0062.jpg  

Review: The Force Gurkha 4x4-img20170713wa0057.jpg  

Review: The Force Gurkha 4x4-img20170713wa0059.jpg  

Review: The Force Gurkha 4x4-img20170713wa0063.jpg  

Review: The Force Gurkha 4x4-img20170713wa0060.jpg  

Review: The Force Gurkha 4x4-img20170713wa0058.jpg  

Review: The Force Gurkha 4x4-img20170713wa0041.jpg  

Old 15th July 2017, 11:35   #232
Senior - BHPian

Have you seen any 5 door Explorer? It is there in the catalog, but there is no mention of it any where.
Old 16th July 2017, 08:52   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Have you seen any 5 door Explorer? It is there in the catalog, but there is no mention of it any where.
Now that is a question to ponder about? Why is force holding back the 5 door xplorer even though its shows up in the brochure & the website as well.

Does anybody have any idea & is there any timeline by which this vehicle will be available across india.
Old 16th July 2017, 11:25   #234
Senior - BHPian

The 5 door version would be an ideal vehicle to cater to both off road as well as a family vehicle.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2017, 11:46   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The 5 door version would be an ideal vehicle to cater to both off road as well as a family vehicle.
The "ForceGurkha4x4" Facebook page has several handing-over pics of the 5 door Expedition.

Found this review too.
https://www.autox.in/reviews/car-rev...w-first-drive/

Last edited by Torqy : 16th July 2017 at 11:52.
Old 16th July 2017, 12:42   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
The "ForceGurkha4x4" Facebook page has several handing-over pics of the 5 door Expedition.
The 5 Door expedition is 2WD. The 5Door explorer has the same 4WD hardware as the 3Door Explorer. The 5 Door explorer can be had on order.

Quote:
From all the reviews and most of the comments, I think the steps that Force Motors needs to take next is clearly given:

1) Up the engine power to 100 bhp/26 KGM Torque. This shouldn't be too difficult for a OM616 derived 2.6 liter CRD engine.

2) Provide a better dash, with good IP Cluster, proper placement of AC/Demister blower vents, space for single/double DIN system, center console with bottle holder/cubby holes

3) Atleast ABS as standard safety feature since it is already offered on the Force Traveller.

If the above 3 are addressed, I would sell my Thar DI and buy on without batting an eye lid.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 16th July 2017 at 12:50.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2017, 16:20   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
2) Provide a better dash, with good IP Cluster, proper placement of AC/Demister blower vents, space for single/double DIN system, center console with bottle holder/cubby holes

If the above 3 are addressed, I would sell my Thar DI and buy on without batting an eye lid.
I don't understand why a company like Force Motors need a Review / Comments from the public to see the sad looking interiors. Is Force Motors that kind of a company?

The 5 door Expedition is already tipping the scales at 9L on-road. Hope a more powerful engine won't make it harder to reach.
Old 16th July 2017, 16:48   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't understand why a company like Force Motors need a Review / Comments from the public to see the sad looking interiors. Is Force Motors that kind of a company?
Yes it IS "that kind of a company".

Which is one of the primary reasons to stay away from their product.
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2017, 18:22   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Yes it IS "that kind of a company".

Which is one of the primary reasons to stay away from their product.
With an immensely popular / reliable product like Tempo Traveller, why can't they ride that wave...and show some of that in Gurkha range?
Old 1st August 2017, 12:19   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With an immensely popular / reliable product like Tempo Traveller, why can't they ride that wave...and show some of that in Gurkha range?
Does Force stand behind their warranty with the Traveller? Obviously they are being serviced and provided spares, there are so many of them on the road that this has to be the case...or does it?

I am wondering if they now make an attempt for the Gurkha to get spares out to their dealers. 12 years ago this was one big criticism of Force, no spares and slow factory shipping of spares.

It's just not that big a deal if you are the factory to take a phone call from a dealer, or take an email form, check your inventory, pick the parts from the warehouse, send them by courier to wherever. Parts and parts ordering in the auto sector (inventory control) has been done by computer for well over 30 years. I am wondering if Force has improved their inventory control and spare distribution as a result of their Traveller success.
DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks