Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2017, 20:17   #256
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Review: The Force Gurkha 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
the good thing is, if at all there is a next one, it might be the 2.2.
Frankly I don't really care if they can't put the 2.2 . It would be nice to have the 2.2, but just the 2.6 with a better power/torque rating would suffice at this point. Frankly the 2.2 is a more complex engine and am sure will come with it's extra share of electronics and sensors, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselhead View Post
I have to buy the gurkha with stock wheels and tyres and then buy the optional alloys and MT separately.
But isn't this the same with most mid and lower level variants of most models including the Thar. At best they will give you an exchange price for the steel disk and OE Tyre.

Besides the manufacturers have a much higher tax structure than when you buy your alloys tyres outside. Remember the insurance and road tax is a percentage of your dealer invoice price. So, essentially if a manufacturer gives you alloys build into the price at about 7K each, then your road tax is also calculated on that.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 22:11   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Frankly I don't really care if they can't put the 2.2 . .....Frankly the 2.2 is a more complex engine and am sure will come with it's extra share of electronics and sensors, etc...

That is true, however the pull from this engine is known to us all from the Force One days, it will be a substantial jump from the FM 2.6 (Whatever state of tune). However the 2.2 never saw usage in a Mercedes offroader, which is where another engine (OM602 updated), which we had loved in an Old Mercedes and also have had G-Wagen application could be under contention even at this stage.

Quote:
but just the 2.6 with a better power/torque rating would suffice at this point.

I have not driven this latest Gurkha, so I dont have first hand knowledge of my next statement. Seemingly there has been some tweaks to the existing Gurkha engine as well to make improvements to torque delivery (probably as part of existing contract regarding usage of this engine in the Gurkha) and the real world drive feel between the engines of the two sets of Tune is hardly noticeable, I am told. So I guess if you have made up your mind to go for it, don't hesitate, after you buy, you can always motivate the service advisor to help you install the next state of tune!
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 23:15   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have not driven this latest Gurkha, so I dont have first hand knowledge of my next statement.
I have actually driven it and the bottom end is good and mid range is okay, but on the open road it looses out big time as there is no top end/bhp output.

Quote:
after you buy, you can always motivate the service advisor to help you install the next state of tune!
Great mind think alike . This is what I am thinking of doing. Need to talk to service people fist. Even better, I am thinking it maybe worth it to order the FM3.2 5-Cylinder engine. However, our resident Force Motors expert 007 who has been giving fairly accurate information about Force has assured us that the FM2.2 will be available in a month or two. So, am waiting to see the results.
4x4addict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2017, 00:17   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Even better, I am thinking it maybe worth it to order the FM3.2 5-Cylinder engine... So, am waiting to see the results.
I'd prefer the 5 cylinder over the 2.2 anyday.

Last edited by theMAG : 30th August 2017 at 17:00. Reason: Quote trimmed, fixed.
dieselhead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 02:32   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lol, road rocket weighing over 2 tons with a 91 bhp engine.

I kind of disagree, cause I am just two steps away from buying one. 1) Better engine power spec and 2) Better dash. These two will meet my requirements.
Hey buddy, how about a nearly two-ton vehicle sporting a whopping 58bhp??? Yes, fifty-eight, in total. From an armchair perspective absolutely pathetic, but the reality is that our lowly Marshal made it from Delhi to Manali last time in only 9-1/2 hrs, and that I was hardly overtaken along the way (more uphill than down, mind you) by any of the more technically powerful / modern vehicles... This pretty much holds true on a daily basis locally, as well as for most of the longer trips we've embarked upon.

I know everyone's got their "requirements" - which may sound completely reasonable... but how much is actually "required" is kind of a different question.

The numbers game can get a little silly at points. As they say, the proof's in the pudding. If/when the complete engine lineup becomes available, Let's take them out and actually drive them the way we would on a daily basis. And determine to not feel ashamed about whichever 4x4 of my cousin's having eight more bhp or whatever. In the real world, the numbers often prove quite meaningless.

-Eric

P.S. Our dashboard is a flat sheet of metal (a'la the good ol' Pik-up). With all the instruments in the middle (so my wife can watch 'em too). I love it.

Last edited by ringoism : 29th August 2017 at 02:40.
ringoism is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 00:24   #261
BHPian

Today finally had the TD of the new Gurkha Explorer in Bhubaneswar. I like it to my taste. Im waiting for the dealer to get back on the OTR price. I have though asked it to quote with a rear front facing seat and alloys. Colour white off course to match its garage mate, an MM550 XDiTC.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: The Force Gurkha 4x4-img20170825wa0006.jpg  

Review: The Force Gurkha 4x4-img20170825wa0005.jpg  

Review: The Force Gurkha 4x4-img20170825wa0004.jpg  

Review: The Force Gurkha 4x4-img20170825wa0003.jpg  

Review: The Force Gurkha 4x4-699241503598496.jpg  

dieselhead is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 13:24   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post

I know everyone's got their "requirements" - which may sound completely reasonable...
P.S. Our dashboard is a flat sheet of metal (a'la the good ol' Pik-up). With all the instruments in the middle (so my wife can watch 'em too). I love it.
Hi Eric,

Good to know you are still haunting the big hills. I just got a phone call yesterday from Force in Mandi. They now have a 3 and a 5 door in stock, the new model. That is the nearest H.P. dealer to me at the moment, would you believe, 4.5 hours away. There is a Traveler guy here but not a Gurkha guy here. Or, there is a Gurkha guy here but his office is the old STD cubicle behind the 3X5 stationery shop that used to sell those good Bic pens but doesn't anymore since the guy's wife found an 8 foot rat snake sitting in her chair reading the Tribune. The exact connection between literate rat snakes and Bic pens was never made clear to me.

What's your impression of this Mandi shop? Can he actually fix anything and get parts from Force?

As I write this there is no Isuzu shop in all of H.P. according to the Isuzu web site. V-max would float my boat. There is a rumor of an Isuzu dealer starting up here soon. His shop is the old STD cubicle behind the 3X5 stationery shop that used to sell....
DirtyDan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 14:06   #263
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
Hey buddy, how about a nearly two-ton vehicle sporting a whopping 58bhp???
Bro, for the longest time, I survived with a CJ500 with a B275 engine with 35 bhp and 12 kgm Torque engine and 3-Speed gearbox. Not to mention a 2500 rpm upper rev limit. Yes, it took me everywhere.

The point I am making is that with today's direct injection (Not even commonrail) it is no great shakes to make 100bhp/26KGM Torque from a 2.6 Liter Engine. A good engine is not only about Torque, there is a driveablity factor also, which to me includes being able to safely pass a vehicle when going uphill. Anyway each to his own, I cannot live with under powered wheezy engines any more. If it was just for Torque, I would just get a Tractor and be done with it. I need a balance between hills and good driveability on open roads as well. As of now, the only thing that fits the bill for me is my 4WD Duster, but problem is that it has no street cred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
There is a Traveler guy here but not a Gurkha guy here.
Most routing sevice items like filters etc are shared with the Traveller. You can get your basic service done with the Traveller guy.
4x4addict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2017, 12:56   #264
BHPian

I have a query regarding the snorkel. How would it fair during a drive in heavy rains given that the turbo would suck-in more air ? The air would be saturated with moisture content and the air filter element is paper based. Would it not be dampened ? Moreover I plan to change the orientation of the snorkel to face front facing and also reduce the height to top-of-windshield level. In this case how would the rain entering the snorkel affect the paper element aircleaner ?
Old 31st August 2017, 13:05   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a query regarding the snorkel. How would it fair during a drive in heavy rains given that the turbo would suck-in more air ? The air would be saturated with moisture content and the air filter element is paper based. Would it not be dampened ? Moreover I plan to change the orientation of the snorkel to face front facing and also reduce the height to top-of-windshield level. In this case how would the rain entering the snorkel affect the paper element aircleaner ?
1. Higher = Cooler Air and more better water wading
2. Rear Facing = Lesser Dust and Water ingress during rains
3. Air Filter = Not affected in stock setup

Don't screw it up.
roy_libran is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st August 2017, 20:19   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Facing the front will scoop more rain water into the snorkel. Depending how low you place it, you might also pick up rain splatter from your windshield, wipers, and bonnet, along with water kicked up from vehicles in front of you.

I would leave it right where it is and trust that Force engineers put it where it is for a reason. But I might also check the filter after I ran in heavy rain just to make sure. This is FORCE after all. It wouldn't hurt anything to check. I have noticed that some trucks have a little drain in their snorkel pipe. None on the Gurkha? One could be improvised, probably, if needed.

Or, you could take the whole business off and get air from inside the bonnet. But your testosterone level would drop because that snorkel is a fine manly appendage.
DirtyDan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st August 2017, 20:46   #267
BHPian

As we are discussing snorkels of Gurkha here, why are snorkels in Indian cars with steering placed at right, be on right hand side? I mean does not that create a blind spot? I have seen right hand drive cars have snorkels on the left side. Is it because someone once upon a time saw that cars abroad have the snorkels fitted to right and followed that like case of other left hand drive orientations in right hand drive cars? Attaching a picture for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: The Force Gurkha 4x4-1.jpg  

Last edited by sbanerjee : 31st August 2017 at 20:48.
Old 31st August 2017, 21:08   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Facing the front will scoop more rain water into the snorkel. Depending how low you place it, you might also pick up rain splatter from your windshield, wipers, and bonnet, along with water kicked up from vehicles in front of you.

I would leave it right where it is and trust that Force engineers put it where it is for a reason. But I might also check the filter after I ran in heavy rain just to make sure. This is FORCE after all. It wouldn't hurt anything to check. I have noticed that some trucks have a little drain in their snorkel pipe. None on the Gurkha? One could be improvised, probably, if needed.

Or, you could take the whole business off and get air from inside the bonnet. But your testosterone level would drop because that snorkel is a fine manly appendage.
I need to check closely to see if the snorkel has drain holes. Not a bad idea to have the snorkel for cosmetic sense and actually breathe under the bonnet. Still waiting for the dealer go come back with price. Also contacted swastik fabs to check if they could design a free wheeling hub for the gurkha. No word yet. I dont see any axle spline plate though. Think the hub has to milled to take a FWH.
Old 31st August 2017, 22:47   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbanerjee View Post
I have seen right hand drive cars have snorkels on the left side. Is it because someone once upon a time saw that cars abroad have the snorkels fitted to right and followed that like case of other left hand drive orientations in right hand drive cars? Attaching a picture for reference.
No Such rule. See pic below, Right hand side snorkel on a Right hand drive TLC

Review: The Force Gurkha 4x4-snorkeltoyota71737578et79landcruiser.jpg

Snorkel placement generally depends on orientation of the Air tract of the Engine.

Nissan Patrols have air track from the left, irrespective of RHD or LHD.

Gurkha utilises Mercedes Based engines, all of them have airflow from the right.
1100D is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2017, 09:14   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also contacted swastik fabs to check if they could design a free wheeling hub for the gurkha.
Why would you need a FWH?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks