Team-BHP - Big Bull - My Mahindra Thar experience...& some mods
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/)
-   -   Big Bull - My Mahindra Thar experience...& some mods (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/155535-big-bull-my-mahindra-thar-experience-some-mods-3.html)

Swami,

Congratulations on your new ride. You must have controlled yourself from not going overboard with the mods. Very decent and practical additions to your Thar.

Happy Revving!!!
Vinay.

Congratulations Swami! A nice set mods there, thread subscribed and rated 5 stars too.

Happy motoring, and keep 'em posts coming!

Thanks yaniv14 - I was careful in choosing the mods just for practical purposes.

Thanks PreethamB

BTW, there was a kich kich noise coming from somewhere in the front. Checked all over and shook the vehicle from all sides and found there was a similar noise coming when I pressed the bonnet. It looked like the culprit was the bonnet clip/holder. Put some oil in that socket and also on the little clip rod and removed the noise. When I drove today, could not hear that. Think that was the issue

My closer interaction with the Jeep starts now ! clap:

Dear Swami,
Congratulations for your new Thar, welcome to the family of Thars (especially red ones) and compliments for a well written post. Also nice set of mods are shaping your Thar into a personalised ride. This is the fun part of the vehicle. You personalise it slowly and get to like it even more. Correct the various flaws, one at a time. Off-course you need time, patience and a little bit of DIY attitude. The plywood backing for the canopy is quite a neat job. Since you are using it as a primary vehicle, fix grab handles at the back for use of the rear passengers. Ur family will thank you for it. :)
BTW pardon me for using your post to inform all members that i am moving abroad for three years, so the Thar is going to be mothballed at my parent's place in Pune. Wish it could have accompanied me. The good news is that i plan to pick up a new 4x4 while i am there. So will keep all of you posted.

Dear Samwagon, your Thread on your Thar was sure an inspiration for me to do practical and cost effective modifications and make the ride as comfortable as possible. Good luck with your overseas assignment and all the very best for your new 4x4. Thanks for the Grab handle idea, will implement it soon.

Swami

Dear Swami69 - congratulations and enjoy your vehicle. You have conclusively proved my point that this vehicle shall replace a mainstream passenger car and that a mainstream passenger car customer shall buy this vehicle as his primary mode of transport, so thank you.

Canopy just cannot flap @ 70 kmph. My requirements were very clear: "no wrinkles, no water entry, no fading, no flapping"! I exactly know who is taking what shortcut now. Even after putting "Mary Poppins' Ribbon" (:D) on the driver's head (cross brace - yuck!), the thing is flapping. I hope somebody looks up from an excel spreadsheet and does something sensible. This is a tall order in today's day and age, but you always live with hope! :uncontrol.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Congrats Swami for the new thar. I also own a same age fiesta but will keep it with Thar, if I buy :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM (Post 3537400)
Dear Swami69 - congratulations and enjoy your vehicle. You have conclusively proved my point that this vehicle shall replace a mainstream passenger car and that a mainstream passenger car customer shall buy this vehicle as his primary mode of transport, so thank you.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Dear DB Sir, Thanks for your compliments. I am enjoying every bit of it for the past 15 days. With that little modification I did, the noise levels have come down a bit and it is getting smoother day by day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruchirtnt (Post 3538515)
Congrats Swami for the new thar. I also own a same age fiesta but will keep it with Thar, if I buy :)

Thanks ruchirtnt, if possible, yes, keep the fiesta, a GREAT car ! - mine was a different case as explained in my post. BTW, I see you contemplating between a Rocky Biege and a Red. Now, the RED THAR is picking up speed in Team-BHP as there are quite a few. BTW, both are great colours and leave the choice with family as I did. I infact wanted a Rocky Biege, but my family preferred a Red. I am enjoying it and it stands out !. All the very best - Colour does not matter - THAR matters more !

Swami

Quote:

Originally Posted by swami69 (Post 3539112)
Dear DB Sir, Thanks for your compliments. I am enjoying every bit of it for the past 15 days. With that little modification I did, the noise levels have come down a bit and it is getting smoother day by day. Swami.

Dear Swami69 - yes, I know that you are enjoying. For one person who knows exactly what to do and wants to do something, there are scores of "self-professed experts" (actually nuisance value skeptics), who will do anything to stop things from happening. It is important to ignore these characters and continue doing what you have to do till you achieve the desired result.

You are the target "mainstream passenger car converted" customer, therefore, I will shortly give you small inputs on the following attributes:

1. How to approach your vehicle.
2. How to sit properly in the driver's seat.
3. How to position your hands and palms on the steering wheel.
4. What all to do before you start the engine.
5. How to press the clutch pedal and when to press it.
6. How much throttle to apply.
7. How to place the palm of your left hand on the gear lever to obtain smoothest gearshifts with minimum input force. For achieving this, is the shape of the gear lever knob as provided in the production vehicle good enough? :)
8. When to use which gear.
9. How much brake force to be used in what application.
10. How much steering input to be given, considering the quantum of reverse efficiency built into the system.

All this looks too elementary, but it is important. These things need to be conveyed properly to customers, then only they will be happy!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Thanks DB sir, sorry I could not respond quickly as I am travelling. While it seems elementary, for a person who have converted himself from a Car to Jeep, these inputs will be invaluable. Please do write those inputs and will practice them to make my ride as comfortable as possible. Thank you.

Swami

Quote:

Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM (Post 3539513)
Dear Swami69 - yes, I know that you are enjoying. For one person who knows exactly what to do and wants to do something, there are scores of "self-professed experts" (actually nuisance value skeptics), who will do anything to stop things from happening. It is important to ignore these characters and continue doing what you have to do till you achieve the desired result.

You are the target "mainstream passenger car converted" customer, therefore, I will shortly give you small inputs on the following attributes:

1. How to approach your vehicle.
2. How to sit properly in the driver's seat.
3. How to position your hands and palms on the steering wheel.
4. What all to do before you start the engine.
5. How to press the clutch pedal and when to press it.
6. How much throttle to apply.
7. How to place the palm of your left hand on the gear lever to obtain smoothest gearshifts with minimum input force. For achieving this, is the shape of the gear lever knob as provided in the production vehicle good enough? :)
8. When to use which gear.
9. How much brake force to be used in what application.
10. How much steering input to be given, considering the quantum of reverse efficiency built into the system.

All this looks too elementary, but it is important. These things need to be conveyed properly to customers, then only they will be happy!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Dear Friends, couple of additions..

I thought about various positions for the speakers and made a sound bar, but eventually discarded it considering the complexities of installing the same. So, went in for an easy and simple shelf method to mount my Yamaha Home Theatre Surround speakers for the time being. Again, without spoiling anything original.

Made a simple shelf using 6mm plywood, covered it with fabric from below and bolted it on the frame above the driver and passenger doors. (front portion needs to be painted black or Red ) There were existing holes for grab handles and used those holes for the same. Bought precise screws from the tool shop and it just fitted perfectly. The sound is very good considering Jeep standards and it does not hinder anything while driving or simply sitting.

Big Bull - My Mahindra Thar experience...& some mods-speaker.jpg

The next one was to stitch a Canvas Spare Wheel cover. Bought 2 metres of canvas (Rs. 120 per metre) from Parrys Corner, Chennai and got it stitched from a bike lining shop. I am not very happy with the measurements and stitching, but know now, what mistakes that guy did and I will replace that soon. Hand painted the jeep stuff on to that using Acrylic paint :)
Big Bull - My Mahindra Thar experience...& some mods-wheel-cover.jpg

Thar is getting smoother day by day and it is performing extremely well. All good as of now. Measuring 11 kms per litre in City with A/C ON. Pretty descent, I would think.

Next mod in pipeline - looking for an idea for a simple ARM REST on the passenger side as my wife wants that very much to rest the elbow. Any help for DIY idea ? If I make one using a 18mm plywood, cover it nicely with foam and rexine, can I screw that to the thin door panel from inside, would that be strong enough OR shall I drill straight into the sheet metal of the door for better strength if the location permits ? Any guidance, much appreciated

Swami

TATA sierra or TATA Mobile passenger side Door handle + rest will be ideal for your use (I am assuming, need of hand rest is for the left side of the passenger seat).

Congratulations. I am thinking of getting one of these sometime. I will keep a close eye on this and other threads. Loving the hard tops on many of them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swami69 (Post 3546107)
...So, went in for an easy and simple shelf method to mount my Yamaha Home Theatre Surround speakers for the time being. Again, without spoiling anything original....

Swamy would the front seat occupants head not bang against these especially during off road driving??

Quote:

Originally Posted by sudev (Post 3549074)
Swamy would the front seat occupants head not bang against these especially during off road driving??

Sudev, before deciding to fit this, I sat in those seats, checked it out several times and the possibility of head hitting it is very remote unless the occupants are really thrown out of their seats. But, in extreme off roading, there could be a possibility as you say, but I am not sure whether I would go to those levels.:)