Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2015, 02:03   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Scoop! Mahindra Thar Facelift spotted testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Parm - you are so absolutely, totally, perfectly, pin-pointedly "correct"! .

Redesigning fender flares is good, but this must be coupled to very clearly defined AOT (Air Over Tires) guidelines which are available for reference. This will freeze the tire envelope, which must then meet the performance needs, the CMVR and BS4!

Dear Anirban - please don't give targa band and windshield angle change ideas, it will complely ruin the shape and kill the vehicle. Have a heart yaar, what's wrong with you? .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dhabhar Sir, trust me, would infact look good (with a hardtop), like the next step, the CJ7. Besides, as you already know that the 540 tub isn't from Jeep.

Scoop! Mahindra Thar Facelift spotted testing-5667380001_large.jpg

Image source

http://autoholics.com/Archive/2011-9?page=17
Old 22nd January 2015, 09:57   #17
BHPian

When the thar came out few years back I considered buying it provided it came with a hard top. Well when the mahindra customization did it the hard top looked disproportionate. Now with the refresh hope they would put in a proper hardtop as optional and with those wide fenders at the rear a wider axle would increase the appeal of the thar.
Then comes proper rust proofing of the vehicle.
about engine
Even if they put in a small engine with power and torque matching up the cost effectiveness will be negligible on the customer side.
Old 22nd January 2015, 10:59   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Dhabhar Sir, trust me, would infact look good (with a hardtop), like the next step, the CJ7. Besides, as you already know that the 540 tub isn't from Jeep.
Dear Anirban - arre baba, look at the end radii on the back of the hard top and the similar radii on the doors of the CJ7, there the matching is perfect! In the Thar, these lines do not match at all, so it has to look absolutely disproportionate and hideous! I am not a styling expert but this is too glaring a mismatch to ignore. I also know that the MM540 tub is not from the Jeep, it's fine as long as it looks like the Jeep, why spoil it?

What I am trying to say is this, as the vehicle already has killer looks, what is required to raise the bar is as follows:
1. Black vehicle with bright finish burgandy red canopy with dull finish inside in the same color - "BEAST".
2. White vehicle with bright finish burgandy red canopy with dull finish inside in the same color - "GHOST".
3. Rocky Biege vehicle with rocky biege canopy with dull finish on both sides - "FIGHTER".
4. Silver vehicle with black canopy to continue as it is - "CLASSIC".

5. and finally, my favorite Black vehicle with black canopy but with the best material that money can buy. This material is available with the vendor in Pune. It is wonderful, but it is ridiculously costly. By the way, he is developing the soft top for supplying to Ferrari, the drape on the Ferrari buck has to be seen to be believed! This vehicle must have black leather interiors with red pin striping and brush finish black alloys with matching tires taking care of the AOT that I have mentioned. Everything is available, what is required is the meccano assembly and the vehicle will be ready. The price differential should be more than 1 lakh rupees, not a rupee less. Only 10 should be sold in a year, but these 10 should be cared for so much that these 10 customers should experience the latest A380, first class! I would actually go to the extent to get Tribhovandas Bhimji Zaveri to sell them, because it is no longer a vehicle, it becomes a family jewel! The name? This vehicle must be so exclusive that it must earn itself the name - "BLACK"! Whew! .

Once again, I hope that good sense prevails. I can only hope!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 11:03   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinodavid View Post
When the thar came out few years back I considered buying it provided it came with a hard top. Well when the mahindra customization did it the hard top looked disproportionate. Now with the refresh hope they would put in a proper hardtop as optional and with those wide fenders at the rear a wider axle would increase the appeal of the thar.
Then comes proper rust proofing of the vehicle.
about engine
Even if they put in a small engine with power and torque matching up the cost effectiveness will be negligible on the customer side.
Have you considered the 'original' Thar with an Italian hard-top?

Looks much better than the maroon Jeep above!
cpbopanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 11:26   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
Have you considered the 'original' Thar with an Italian hard-top?

Looks much better than the maroon Jeep above!
Yes I have seen the Italian one, looks good and build quality looks good too. There was someone in the thar hardtop forum regarding importing those, like 10 pieces if he got enough customers. I was not a member at that time.
IMO those chaps at mahindra customization can import those in bulk and assemble them here as there is a good market for that hardtop.Instead they go on making contraptions
Old 22nd January 2015, 11:44   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Yes I have seen the Italian one, looks good and build quality looks good too. There was someone in the thar hardtop forum regarding importing those, like 10 pieces if he got enough customers. I was not a member at that time.
IMO those chaps at mahindra customization can import those in bulk and assemble them here as there is a good market for that hardtop.Instead they go on making contraptions
I imported, installed an Italian hard-top almost 2 years ago and am very happy with it!

I was the one contemplating importing a container-load of Italian hard-tops!
Alas, in a population of 1.3 Billion, I could not achieve an interest level of even 10

Last edited by cpbopanna : 22nd January 2015 at 12:10.
Old 22nd January 2015, 11:56   #22
BHPian

Quote:
I imported, installed an Italian hard-top almost 2 years ago and am very happy with it!

I was the one contemplating importing a container-load of Italian hard-tops!
Alas, in a population of 1.3 Billion, I could not reach an interest level of even 10
Sorry sir I could not recollect who it was.
What was the cost incurred for you to import that hardtop and how was the installation. Was it a direct fit? I have seen hardtops proper in some and misaligned in some. Could be the issue of the vehicle itself IMO. How's the NVH levels. Have you put a thread regarding the Italian hardtop?
Old 22nd January 2015, 12:13   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry sir I could not recollect who it was.
What was the cost incurred for you to import that hardtop and how was the installation. Was it a direct fit? I have seen hardtops proper in some and misaligned in some. Could be the issue of the vehicle itself IMO. How's the NVH levels. Have you put a thread regarding the Italian hardtop?
I have provided a link to my thread - from where the 'Italian Hard-top' starts!
The Italian Hard-top is MADE for a Mahindra Thar - it is a direct fit.
It is almost as silent as a Bolero inside!

My landed cost was INR 250 k. With the current forex rates, the price may have gone up.

Bulk import will bring down the price to around INR 150k!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ar-crde-6.html

Also, please check the link of the Hard-top manufacturer, where my Jeep is featured!
http://www.autobiemmesrl.it/mahindra...lasses-3.html#

Last edited by cpbopanna : 22nd January 2015 at 12:22.
cpbopanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 13:40   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have provided a link to my thread - from where the 'Italian Hard-top' starts!
The Italian Hard-top is MADE for a Mahindra Thar - it is a direct fit.
It is almost as silent as a Bolero inside!

My landed cost was INR 250 k. With the current forex rates, the price may have gone up.

Bulk import will bring down the price to around INR 150k!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ar-crde-6.html

Also, please check the link of the Hard-top manufacturer, where my Jeep is featured!
http://www.autobiemmesrl.it/mahindra...lasses-3.html#
No doubt that this looks amongst the best where the existing body is not messed with.
But in terms of overall appeal, there is still too much happenning over the top of the windshield.

Personally, these two (though the first one is a ST), appeal to me.
I am sure there would be many others who would want this sort of a clean look straight from the factory
(or atleast the option of doing that without needing to cut the frame themselves)

Last edited by 1100D : 22nd January 2015 at 13:43.
1100D is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 13:58   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
[b][u]

What I am trying to say is this, as the vehicle already has killer looks, what is required to raise the bar is as follows:
1. Black vehicle with bright finish burgandy red canopy with dull finish inside in the same color - "BEAST".
2. White vehicle with bright finish burgandy red canopy with dull finish inside in the same color - "GHOST".
3. Rocky Biege vehicle with rocky biege canopy with dull finish on both sides - "FIGHTER".
4. Silver vehicle with black canopy to continue as it is - "CLASSIC".

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
So Sir, what would be your recommendation for a Toreador Red fan as I guess you have missed that color alone above. I would say a T.Red with a Biegish Khaki as a Soft Top to have a striking look. Would you agree ?

Swami
swami69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 14:36   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
No doubt that this looks amongst the best where the existing body is not messed with.
But in terms of overall appeal, there is still too much happenning over the top of the windshield.

Personally, these two (though the first one is a ST), appeal to me.
I am sure there would be many others who would want this sort of a clean look straight from the factory
(or atleast the option of doing that without needing to cut the frame themselves)
Agreed - the lowered A & B pillars look better on the Performance Hard-top compared to the regular Thar (Italian Hard-top).
It gives the Jeep a purposeful squat look.

1. However, it is this lowering of the A & B pillars and the non-overlapping of the area above the windshield by the hard-top in the front - which has caused the many reported cases of water leak!
The Italian hard-top retaining the stock A & B pillars, literally covers the top of the windshield area, just like a soft-top, hence no chance of any leaks!

2. Insofar as the rear is concerned, there ought not to be any dispute - the Performance HT has a plain-jane look whereas the Italian HT resembles a Wrangler!

Scoop! Mahindra Thar Facelift spotted testing-hardtop-comparison.jpg

I thoroughly agree that a factory-fitted HT addressing all these issues will be the best option
cpbopanna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 15:26   #27
Team-BHP Support

I think the new Thar is already at the dealerships, spotted by a friend somewhere out there.

Scoop! Mahindra Thar Facelift spotted testing-nt15_marked.jpg

Scoop! Mahindra Thar Facelift spotted testing-nt6_marked.jpg

Scoop! Mahindra Thar Facelift spotted testing-nt1_marked.jpg

Scoop! Mahindra Thar Facelift spotted testing-nt2_marked.jpg

Scoop! Mahindra Thar Facelift spotted testing-nt3_marked.jpg

Scoop! Mahindra Thar Facelift spotted testing-nt4_marked.jpg
Jaggu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 15:49   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I think the new Thar is already at the dealerships, spotted by a friend somewhere out there.
This seems to have only the new canopy. The rest is same as the latest 2014 Thar. The *new* one has revised dash with center console and cup-holders as confirmed by a friend who works in the Nasik Plant.
Old 22nd January 2015, 17:19   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
The *new* one has revised dash with center console and cup-holders as confirmed by a friend who works in the Nasik Plant.
The dash has a dash of silver This IS the new Thar and that is the upgrade, so typical of M&M.

Edit: rest might be there in one of those boxes kept inside the vehicle.

Last edited by Jaggu : 22nd January 2015 at 17:25.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 18:07   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
The dash has a dash of silver This IS the new Thar and that is the upgrade, so typical of M&M.
I doubt it since the fenders and dash is covered for the test vehicle in the spy pics. Why would they cover the dash if all they have done is added a spot of sliver. But then again, I maybe putting too much faith in Mahindra
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed