Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2015, 15:42   #106
BHPian

Re: Scoop! Mahindra Thar Facelift spotted testing

Any update on the launch date of the new updated Thar !!!
Old 1st May 2015, 15:58   #107
Senior - BHPian

While the other opinions shared by you are subjective, I am just bit interested to know what made you write the following two aspects. The second one is a revelation i must say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renjith_Mani View Post
1. No offence, but Thar offers a lot more than the actaul target market of Thar ever hoped for.
2. It offers such comfort on the road (when I take it occasionally for highway rides), steady at 90 to 100km/hr speeds.. .
BTW, i am also a THAR lover solely for the reason that it is the only new jeep in a modern avatar that is available from showroom.
Old 2nd May 2015, 13:14   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
While the other opinions shared by you are subjective, I am just bit interested to know what made you write the following two aspects. The second one is a revelation i must say!

BTW, i am also a THAR lover solely for the reason that it is the only new jeep in a modern avatar that is available from showroom.
Initially the back seat comfort was a trouble and I changed the seats to innova bucket seats, to bring uniformity the front seats were also changed. The front seat ride comfort is not comparable with Safari and Endeavour etc but if you compare it with Gurkha or earlier versions of Jeep - its very good. Otherwise if you are on the front seats of Thar there is no issue with comfort.

The target market for Thar is those who are passionate about driving off-road. They would not have cared if it was air conditioned or capable of smooth on road drive.. that's including me.
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop! Mahindra Thar Facelift spotted testing-img20150330wa0008.jpg  

Scoop! Mahindra Thar Facelift spotted testing-img20150330wa0015.jpg  

Renjith_Mani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2015, 00:41   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
..The front seat ride comfort is not comparable with Safari and Endeavour etc but if you compare it with Gurkha or earlier versions of Jeep - its very good.
Nobody expects a jeep's comfort to be at the level of safari! Definitely it is lot better than the old school jeeps, but I don't think it is much better than Gurkha.

Quote:
The target market for Thar is those who are passionate about driving off-road. They would not have cared if it was air conditioned or capable of smooth on road drive.. that's including me.
In my opinion, the real reason in most of the cases is the JEEP factor and a combination of optimum on and off-road capability. Factory fitted A/C, PS, better highway cruising capability are some of the major factors in favour of THAR. For 'people who are passionate about driving off-road' only, the old school jeeps still make lot more sense. And btw, if people would not have cared about the A/C or 'smooth on-road drive' they wouldn't have gone for hardtop and better seats. Not to mention about the endless number of queries related to CFL etc. to make the ride quality better.

Sticking to the topic, saw a new THAR recently with the slanted rear portion and it didn't appeal much compared to the earlier boxy design.

Last edited by Kandisa : 3rd May 2015 at 00:43.
Old 3rd May 2015, 20:13   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
In my opinion, the real reason in most of the cases is the JEEP factor and a combination of optimum on and off-road capability. .
True.
I hope they make the new vehicle more refined in terms of NVH levels and ride quality.
Forget about the dash/seats/hard top/interiors/exteriors.
These can be be easily customized by aftermarket addons.
Old 4th May 2015, 22:06   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Initially the back seat comfort was a trouble and I changed the seats to innova bucket seats, to bring uniformity the front seats were also changed.
I quite like the looks of your Thar. Can you please share some more photos of inside rear view and outside from the rear and sides?
With the Innova seats at the back is head room an issue?
Would be really interested to know where you got it done from?
imove is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2015, 16:00   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imove View Post
I quite like the looks of your Thar. Can you please share some more photos of inside rear view and outside from the rear and sides?
With the Innova seats at the back is head room an issue?
Would be really interested to know where you got it done from?
Thanks for the complements

The head room in the back seat is okay for anyone who is shorter than about 175 cm- I am 171 and I am okay and comfortable at the back seat.
There a person called Sam Kurien, based out of Kottyam Kerala. He did most of the work on my Thar. Actually his website is advertised on the back of my car.
Old 5th May 2015, 18:55   #113
BHPian

@ imove
somehow the pictures were not uploaded last time
let me try again
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop! Mahindra Thar Facelift spotted testing-img20150330wa0006.jpg  

Scoop! Mahindra Thar Facelift spotted testing-img20150330wa0007.jpg  

Scoop! Mahindra Thar Facelift spotted testing-img20150330wa0008.jpg  

Scoop! Mahindra Thar Facelift spotted testing-img20150330wa0010.jpg  

Scoop! Mahindra Thar Facelift spotted testing-img20150330wa0014.jpg  

Scoop! Mahindra Thar Facelift spotted testing-img20150330wa0021.jpg  

Scoop! Mahindra Thar Facelift spotted testing-img20150330wa0018.jpg  

Scoop! Mahindra Thar Facelift spotted testing-img20150330wa0012.jpg  

Scoop! Mahindra Thar Facelift spotted testing-img20150330wa0013.jpg  

Renjith_Mani is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th May 2015, 23:02   #114
BHPian

Quote:
@ imove
somehow the pictures were not uploaded last time
let me try again
Thanks for taking the time to upload these beautiful pictures. These pictures answer most of my questions. If possible though post a picture of the back with the tailgate open, as I wanted to see how it looks from the back inside and how much space is available behind the seats. Some of the questions that the pics could not answer are:
1. Is there an insulation layer between the two layers of fibre glass?
2. Did they have to cut and raise the height of the B Pillar by few inches?
3. Have your drive or fuel efficiency impacted positively or negatively due to any of the mods?

Bottom line, looks good, functional and I am sure you are enjoying it, I only wish the glass in the hardtop was in line with the front window glass, but that is a minor thing.

And finally, if you do not mind, could you also provide an idea about the costs to put in the hard top, seats etc.?
imove is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2015, 10:05   #115
Senior - BHPian

Renjith, your truck looks awesome! How much did the customization cost? Do the rear seats have functional seat belts?
directinjection is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 10:38   #116
BHPian

Hi, This modded Red Thar looks amazing. I am also interested in seeing the rear seats from the tail gate open. This is just to see how it is fitted between or on top of the wheel wells etc., If that works, then those buckets seats will be a luxury for my Thar and I will get it done. Thanks and please post the picture. All modes looks great, nice straight lines and I love the look

Swami
swami69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 13:36   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
Hi, This modded Red Thar looks amazing. I am also interested in seeing the rear seats from the tail gate open. This is just to see how it is fitted between or on top of the wheel wells etc., If that works, then those buckets seats will be a luxury for my Thar and I will get it done. Thanks and please post the picture. All modes looks great, nice straight lines and I love the look

Swami
Please note that it looks like the rear seats, seat backs, impede vision to the rear.
Old 7th May 2015, 13:43   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Renjith, your truck looks awesome! How much did the customization cost? Do the rear seats have functional seat belts?
Thanks again

The customisations were expensive
Hard top cost was close to one lakh, the innova seats 35k (all four)
The extension of Flares cost about 32k
Replacement of tyres (in exchange of new tyres that came with Thar) cost about 55K.
Roof carrier work including jack and shovel 40K

The other exterior works were minor.

The rear seats don't have functional seat belts. It may not be possible as its impossible to have connection between the seat belt system and the breaking system through the hard top.

Over all all customisations (including the change of both front and rear suspensions, alloy rims, sound system etc) cost me more than 5 Lakhs.

Right now I am in Nairobi (Kenya) and Thar is back in India. I will be back in India on 17th May then I could post all new pictures with new angles.

Have a nice day

@ imove @directinjection @swami69 @DirtyDan

Thanks for all the complements.
Right now I am at Nairobi (Kenya), I will be back on 17th May and then shall share with you pictures from all angles please.

Last edited by moralfibre : 9th May 2015 at 08:14. Reason: Back to back posts
Old 8th May 2015, 09:48   #119
BHPian

Regarding the Thar update, all I came to know from Mahindra is that they are not changing the current powertrain. No update on the launch date.
Old 8th May 2015, 18:56   #120
BHPian

Has somebody try isntalling Amaze front seats in 4 captain seats configuration. They are not bad as far as comfort goes and does not take much space.

If I buy the new Thar, would like to do that.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks