Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2015, 22:10   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Scoop! Mahindra Thar Facelift spotted testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renjith_Mani View Post
Thanks again

The customisations were expensive
Hard top cost was close to one lakh, the innova seats 35k (all four)
The extension of Flares cost about 32k
Replacement of tyres (in exchange of new tyres that came with Thar) cost about 55K.
Roof carrier work including jack and shovel 40K

The other exterior works were minor.

The rear seats don't have functional seat belts. It may not be possible as its impossible to have connection between the seat belt system and the breaking system through the hard top.

Over all all customisations (including the change of both front and rear suspensions, alloy rims, sound system etc) cost me more than 5 Lakhs.

Right now I am in Nairobi (Kenya) and Thar is back in India. I will be back in India on 17th May then I could post all new pictures with new angles.

Have a nice day
Rule of thumb is to avoid putting prices up on a public forum. But since you have, and since I happened to read this, would politely like to bring to you attention that you've been robbed. There is no way all that you've done would cost more than 2L. 1.5L for an expert negotiator with connects into the jeep scene and 2.5L for an absolute novice.

But what the hell, as long as it brings a smile to your face, it's all worth it. Cheers!
Old 9th May 2015, 08:20   #122
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
Rule of thumb is to avoid putting prices up on a public forum.
nice thumb rule you seem to have devised for yourself to suit your needs/fancies, lets not beat a drum of it & try influencing people who are open enough to quote the prices they paid(openly).

Moving back to the topic, whats the latest word on updated Thar's launch ?
AWD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2015, 08:56   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
nice thumb rule you seem to have devised for yourself to suit your needs/fancies, lets not beat a drum of it & try influencing people who are open enough to quote the prices they paid(openly).
Am sorry you misunderstood. My bad. What I meant is that rule of thumb is to not put up prices if you don't want people to question them or are not willing to quote sources. Prices without a source do not add value and tend to mislead rather than help.

Having owned a thar for 2.5 years and documented all mods on a thread on team bhp (with absolute transparency on prices and sources) that runs into 300k+ hits, I felt these prices mentioned were very steep so clarified so that prospective buyers who may want their thar to look like the one prepared by renjith, are not discouraged.

Hope this clarifies.
manveet is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2015, 14:43   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
Am sorry you misunderstood. My bad. What I meant is that rule of thumb is to not put up prices if you don't want people to question them or are not willing to quote sources. Prices without a source do not add value and tend to mislead rather than help.

Having owned a thar for 2.5 years and documented all mods on a thread on team bhp (with absolute transparency on prices and sources) that runs into 300k+ hits, I felt these prices mentioned were very steep so clarified so that prospective buyers who may want their thar to look like the one prepared by renjith, are not discouraged.

Hope this clarifies.
@Manveet

I do know that the prices are on the higher end, but not so steep.
The first challenge here is there are only few people who are doing a good job modifying Thar. After a lot of enquiries I approached a person called Jeep Gopal based out of Coimbatore for the hard top work and seats customisation etc. Honestly speaking I was not happy with the work done. He was not very expensive though. My concern was not money I wanted the best possible work.

Then I have started looking for someone who is more reputed than Jeep Gopal on quality of work and many people seemed to agree that Sam Kurien from Kottayam is exceptionally good with Jeep Modification works. I approached him and he gave quotes that looked high to me. But then I was worried that if I go about negotiating too much the quality of the work might be affected. I was not in country and not in a possition to oversee the work (but trust me Sam did not take advantage of this). It was his suggestion to change the suspensions as well. Sam Kurien did a good job.

There were cheaper alternatives - like the roof carrier was available at less than 10k, but I wanted the one with that cage around the body. Cheaper suspensions were available but I went for Ironman Suspension of Austral Dampers. There was no much need for going for single carbon leaf spring - again I don't regret it. The difference is worth the money paid.

About the Fender Flare work..
The tyres that I fixed was bit over size for Thar (but I liked the looks), Hence for this work the original fender has to be cut close to 2 inches and skid plate has to be made inside, after which two types of design fenders had to be fixed. Tube fender flares, and wrangler fender flares.

The Hardtop Prices were all over internet and for the type I chose the price seemed close to market price

At the amount I spent now my Thar is just in the shape and condition I wanted it, like you said that's what matters.
Renjith_Mani is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th May 2015, 17:00   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renjith_Mani View Post
After a lot of enquiries I approached a person called Jeep Gopal based out of Coimbatore for the hard top work and seats customisation etc.
You have no idea how lucky you are. Jeep gopal has been mentioned many times on this forum to be a fraud.

Well regarding R and T no doubt they are expensive but the craftmanship is excellent. I remember seeing your vehicle there when I had lockers installed on my vehicle.

The other option is Hyderbad hard top. It cost me less than 1L for the hard top and rear innova seats
tomraven99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2015, 20:41   #126
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miel View Post
Too bad the snapper couldn't catch the face of the face-lift!

I guess the dashboard may not be a jugaad of the Bolero's former dash. Or it maybe a jugaad of the Bolero's latest dash.
The fender extensions look a tad too wide for OEM tyres, but of course prevents mud from splattering all over the sides. They could have upgraded the tail lamps and front blinkers to LED units. But I like the bend in the C pillar.

Actually they should just introduce a higher model with:
  • the Quanto's 3 cyl engine
  • an OEM hard top
  • Second row front-facing seats, with the front seats collapsing to give way
  • ABS, EBD, and Air Bags
  • Immobilizer
  • 4x4 (duh!!)
And they can retain the current CRDe, with differential lockers, and maybe add a snorkel, and keep it for the hardcore enthusiasts.

But, when the 2 new Mahindra SUVs come in this year, we will know for sure why they have done only this much.
AT Transmission should also help this brilliant product
Old 11th May 2015, 12:26   #127
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by confused_soul View Post
AT Transmission should also help this brilliant product
Seriously? Automatic transition in Thar!!! The fun of driving Thar itself is the Manual Transmission. If anything we could improve on transmission is to put differential locks.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 11th May 2015 at 12:32. Reason: Please pay attention to punctuation prior to submitting the posts. Your post has been edited.
Renjith_Mani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 23:14   #128

So when is the new Thar set to be with new owners?
Old 13th May 2015, 13:40   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesbee View Post
So when is the new Thar set to be with new owners?
Exactly what I want to know! Phoned the mahindra dealership today and no discounts on the current Thar and they didn't know anything about the facelift. Should I go ahead and buy the current version or wait for the facelift?
Old 13th May 2015, 13:45   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruv45in View Post
Exactly what I want to know! Phoned the mahindra dealership today and no discounts on the current Thar and they didn't know anything about the facelift. Should I go ahead and buy the current version or wait for the facelift?
Please go ahead and buy the current one!
If I were you, I would have in fact, bought the previous one, with the vertical rear, the sloped rear looks like an after-market job
The beige dash and the shiny surrounds around the gauges (in the incoming model) are specifications left to remove the tough Jeep character altogether!

Last edited by cpbopanna : 13th May 2015 at 13:47.
cpbopanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2015, 14:38   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruv45in View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
Please go ahead and buy the current one!
I second that; get one before it inevitably joins the chrome plated plastics brigade!
PreethamB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2015, 15:40   #132

My Thar had arrived already with Chandigarh Dealership since Feb 2015 but have been avoiding to collect it as I'm waiting for the updated one! But it's taking far too long for these people to even acknowledge this new version to be even in existence.. Lol

Dealerships are now acting like politicians I guess.

I'm back from Dubai next week and will officially complain this time in Chandigarh as I have been calling and no one even bothers to even get me the concerned person and moreover the Sales Manager doesn't even answer his mobile? Mr. Pramod the great!

Anyhow later will update.

Cheers,
Old 14th May 2015, 08:39   #133
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
My Thar had arrived already with Chandigarh Dealership since Feb 2015 but have been avoiding to collect it as I'm waiting for the updated one! But it's taking far too long for these people to even acknowledge this new version to be even in existence.
Thats typical Mahindra, no surprises. Mostly what Ive observed in the past, before the vehicle reaches these local dealerships, they have no clues. But are you letting this bother you, just cancel the booking & then re-book once the new one arrives. As such Thar is not in so much demand that you'd be standing in a long waitlist. Also perhaps change the dealership next time around if you didnt like the present ones behaviour.
Old 19th May 2015, 20:10   #134
BHPian

Dropped by the local Mahindra show room(Sahaydri Motors) here in Pune last week, to check upon the launch status of the revised Thar.

The SA told me that the expected launch date was 21st May 2015, however has been cancelled, with no further speculative dates.

Another thing the SA said was, that the road tests did not go well and there were some technical issues which Mahindra wants to address, so the product launch has been pushed. Debatable ?

I did see the revised test mules here in Pune till about a month back, since then there has been no action. No test mules on the road and no pre launch news. Don't know what Mahindra is upto
somitra1981 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 21:26   #135
BHPian

Quote:
My Thar had arrived already with Chandigarh Dealership since Feb 2015 but have been avoiding to collect it as I'm waiting for the updated one! But it's taking far too long for these people to even acknowledge this new version to be even in existence.. Lol

Dealerships are now acting like politicians I guess.

I'm back from Dubai next week and will officially complain this time in Chandigarh as I have been calling and no one even bothers to even get me the concerned person and moreover the Sales Manager doesn't even answer his mobile? Mr. Pramod the great!

Anyhow later will update.

Cheers,

Mr. Pramod has to get his act together if he wants his dealership business to survive! A brand new dealership has opened not far from Swami Automobile.
Hope you take the right decision and end up with a good delivery experience.
Cheers
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks