Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/)
-   -   Can the Duster AWD scale Sandakphu, the highest peak in West Bengal? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/162161-can-duster-awd-scale-sandakphu-highest-peak-west-bengal-13.html)

ManuMacher 12th May 2016 18:04

@BlackPearl Thanks for the response. Yes indeed it a good feat for Duster. IMHO such terrains should be done by a true blood only. Not sure the damage such terrains caused to Duster in short and long run.

petrolhead_neel 12th May 2016 18:42

Re: Can the Duster AWD scale Sandakphu, the highest peak in West Bengal?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackPearl (Post 3970595)

Yes Dry Ice, one of my friends, a veteran rally driver has taken his Gypsy 1.3 mpfi to Sandakphu. He was complaining about the huge turning radius, the lack of low end grunt and the horrible ride quality of the Gypsy.

Did he also complain about traction at the rear and the tight and thus cumbersome to use steering in slow, tight turns? I had spoken to a Gypsy driver once who had these remarks about a similar climb on the Gypsy, though much less difficult than S'phu.

Also, was it a stock Gypsy?

Regards,
Neel

BlackPearl 19th May 2016 19:23

Re: Can the Duster AWD scale Sandakphu, the highest peak in West Bengal?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel (Post 3972260)
Did he also complain about traction at the rear and the tight and thus cumbersome to use steering in slow, tight turns? I had spoken to a Gypsy driver once who had these remarks about a similar climb on the Gypsy, though much less difficult than S'phu.

Also, was it a stock Gypsy?

Regards,
Neel

I did not understand the cumbersome steering feel being attributed to the traction at the rear of the Gypsy. Could you please explain a bit more?

It was not a bone stock Gypsy. It had headers and FFE installed.

petrolhead_neel 19th May 2016 19:40

Re: Can the Duster AWD scale Sandakphu, the highest peak in West Bengal?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackPearl (Post 3977910)
I did not understand the cumbersome steering feel being attributed to the traction at the rear of the Gypsy. Could you please explain a bit more?


It was not a bone stock Gypsy. It had headers and FFE installed.

Thanks for digging into my query Sumitro Da. :)

Pardon my expressing skills, I didn't attribute the traction at the rear to the steering. What I meant was the tightness of the steering resulting to the cumbersome feel: "tight, and thus cumbersome". Traction at the rear is an entirely different point.

Guessed it was not stock. Rally Gypsies seldom are. :)

Hope I made my point clear.

Apologies,
Neel

P.S: Noticed the D-BHPian tag quite late. Congrats! Sorry for going off the topic.

Dry Ice 17th June 2016 20:53

Re: Can the Duster AWD scale Sandakphu, the highest peak in West Bengal?
 
The thread has gone quiet.

Experts, can a Duster AWD scale Marisimik La? Alone, with a newbie driver. :)

sudev 17th June 2016 23:13

I would reckon yes. But safe practice is to have two vehicles

tsk1979 18th June 2016 12:51

Re: Can the Duster AWD scale Sandakphu, the highest peak in West Bengal?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dry Ice (Post 3999254)
The thread has gone quiet.

Experts, can a Duster AWD scale Marisimik La? Alone, with a newbie driver. :)

Depends on the track condition. Some parts get deep ruts after an army convoy passes. In that case you can damage vehicle. You can try it, but don't do anything stupid.

Dry Ice 18th June 2016 13:14

Re: Can the Duster AWD scale Sandakphu, the highest peak in West Bengal?
 
:uncontrol

Lol! No sir, just asking coz being a monocoque I assume it would suffer in rocky conditions due to the low hanging exhaust.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 3999519)
Depends on the track condition. Some parts get deep ruts after an army convoy passes. In that case you can damage vehicle. You can try it, but don't do anything stupid.


sudev 18th June 2016 15:30

Monocoque or ladder chassis - both will suffer if driven without care. TSK's been there in his white elephant and knows what's likely to make you suffer

sayakc 16th April 2018 21:18

Re: Can the Duster AWD scale Sandakphu, the highest peak in West Bengal?
 
Time to rekindle the thread (possibly) - but I am not speaking of a Duster/4X4 in this case.

Heard from a rider colleague of mine that the entire boulder strewn road from Manebhanjan to Tumling has been turned into a concrete one. He saw a hatchback climbing up the slopes. If any one has been to Sandakphu recent can comment? Should be a sea change indeed, if true.

Regards,
Sayak

Quote:

Originally Posted by himadrimondal (Post 3674976)
So will the Duster scale Sandakphu? Yes, it will for sure at the hands of an able driver like BlackPearl.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackPearl (Post 3674955)
The point is to find out if an AWD Duster can scale the slopes of Sandakphu or not.


BlackPearl 17th April 2018 03:49

Re: Can the Duster AWD scale Sandakphu, the highest peak in West Bengal?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sayakc (Post 4387001)
Time to rekindle the thread (possibly) - but I am not speaking of a Duster/4X4 in this case.

Heard from a rider colleague of mine that the entire boulder strewn road from Manebhanjan to Tumling has been turned into a concrete one. He saw a hatchback climbing up the slopes. If any one has been to Sandakphu recent can comment? Should be a sea change indeed, if true.

Regards,
Sayak

I was last there in 2016 March and about 5 kilometers of road till Tumling was concrete. Maruti vans were able to go till Tumling at that time. I am not aware of the latest development.

PapaBravo 29th June 2018 09:31

Re: Can the Duster AWD scale Sandakphu, the highest peak in West Bengal?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sayakc (Post 4387001)
Heard from a rider colleague of mine that the entire boulder strewn road from Manebhanjan to Tumling has been turned into a concrete one. He saw a hatchback climbing up the slopes.

Not only till Tumling, but till Garibas. The whole route from Maney Bhanjan till Garibas has been made of concrete. So hatchbacks have started going till Garibas and its a mess already. You would still need a 4x4 to go ahead of till Sandakhphu.

Cheers,

Pawan

sayakc 1st July 2018 22:54

Re: Can the Duster AWD scale Sandakphu, the highest peak in West Bengal?
 
Thanks Pawan for sharing the info!

Some passing thoughts..
Good roads are good for development, tourism. But I really think about the sustainability of the environment and begin to worry.

In '99 I had trekked to Sandakphu for the first time and believe me even the Sandakphu top (which resembles a typical hill bustee now with all the hotels) was a piece of vacant land. In all these years that raw and virgin land has transformed a lot negatively - as far as ecology is concerned.

:OT A few hidden gems like Samanden, Gorkhey exist in the trail which are approachable on foot and I recommend them!


Quote:

Originally Posted by PapaBravo (Post 4421440)
Not only till Tumling, but till Garibas.
Cheers,
Pawan



All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:22.