Team-BHP - My 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited, a dream come true
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/)
-   -   My 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited, a dream come true (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/164999-my-2015-jeep-wrangler-sport-unlimited-dream-come-true.html)

Further to my post, I am pleased to announce that the Jeep was delivered on 11-June-2015. Here is a brief review of the same, please bear with me as this is my first one.

My 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited, a dream come true-ready-delivery-1.jpg

My 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited, a dream come true-ready-delivery-2.jpg

My 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited, a dream come true-during-pooja-1.jpg

My 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited, a dream come true-during-pooja-2.jpg

My 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited, a dream come true-parked-home.jpg

Alternatives that were considered, and why I zeroed in on this particular car

I own a Pajero LWB for the last 8+ years and was looking to replace it with a Nissan Patrol or Armada. The Patrol was available with a wait time of 2+ months and the Armada was too big for my liking. Therefore, long bitten by the Jeep bug, I decided to go for it as a second ride.

Two body styles are available: the two-door Jeep Wrangler and four-door Wrangler Unlimited. I chose 4 doors version as it allowed easy access to rear seats and provided a bigger cargo area. Based on my test drive experience, I felt the ride was a bit easier on the 4 doors version probably because of its longer wheel base.

The 4 doors version is available locally in three variants; Sport (base), Sahara (fancy) and Rubicon (super off-road focus). I chose the Sport based on economics, I will be customizing it to my liking anyways!

A choice of soft or hard tops, as well as a package that includes both is available. I chose the hard top only as it is the stock option in Sport and is more suited for the hot weather conditions here. The Freedom hardtop, which is provided with this variant, has removable roof panels above the front row seats for a semi-open-air experience.

Complete booking & delivery experience with the dealership

The vehicle was booked on 25-May-2015 by paying an advance of OMR 100/= (1 OMR = 2.58 US$). The 4 doors version is not normally in stock but the good thing was that delivery was promised by 11-June-2015.

The Jeep reached the port of Sohar on 03-June-2015 and after formalities, reached the dealership on 10-June-2015. During this period, the staff at the dealership was kind enough to update me daily with the progress. They also went out of their way to help me clear my traffic fines and sort out my insurance.

The PDI was carried out on 10-June-2015 and needless to say, the Jeep was cleared for delivery. I received the Jeep on 11-June-2015 morning after the customary briefing and completion of paperwork.

On-road price & discounts

Price paid was OMR 13,700 ex showroom (1 OMR = 2.58 USD). No discounts were applicable. Insurance was paid extra at actuals.

Free registration, 1 year AAA roadside assistance and a standard JEEP branded gift pack from manufacturer containing wallet, USB rechargeable torch, water bottle and pen was provided.

Extended warranties & service packages

5 years / 100 K kms extended warranty and 30 K kms service pack were provided as part of promotion for the holy month of Ramadan.

Engine type

In 2012, Jeep introduced its Pentastar 3.6-liter V-6 (Petrol) to the Wrangler, along with a new five-speed automatic transmission, and made this the standard power train.

This engine and automatic combination can now dash to 100 kmph in about 8.4 seconds and is rated at 285-hp / 260-pound-feet.

The automatic transmission shifts smoothly in light to moderate acceleration.

My 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited, a dream come true-engine.jpg

Features

It looks like the Jeeps are evolving, considering that the base model is available with leather wrapped power steering, power mirrors, power windows and door locks. The higher models are equipped with alloy wheels, leather seats, navigation, bluetooth connectivity, sub-woofer etc.
The only negative would be the steering system.

Over all the 2015 Wrangler has done a great job of carrying on the Jeep tradition. I say this based on my childhood (30 years ago) experience of driving my dad’s Willys, MM540 and Gypsy.

Safety & related equipment

Usage pattern

Weekdays : ~ 60 kms in city
Weekends / Holidays : ~ 200 kms in highway and city

Exterior styling & design, overall build quality, fit & finish, paint quality and panel gaps

The Jeep is a box shaped tough body-on-chassis design. The straight sheet metal is easier to tinker. The top is removable and so are the doors. The windshield can be folded down. The door hinges are exposed.

The exterior styling is typical with its design lineage carrying from one generation to the next. Many of its current design features are just about as old as the original model.

Wheels & tyres

The Wrangler Sport is provided with steel wheels. Alloy wheels are standard only for Sahara and Rubicon.

Front and Rear tyres : 245/75R16, Bridgestone Dueler.

Road noise is almost non-existent.

My 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited, a dream come true-tyre.jpg

Interior design & quality

The interior of the Jeep Wrangler have evolved, and is far from cheap plastic roughly stuck together. The instrument and door panels are modern and contoured with soft-touch materials provided in a few spots where they'll be noticed. Trims have also been freshened and given a machined look, and is way more sophisticated while keeping the brief, upright, and businesslike look of the dash. Elbow rests and other areas are soft padded, and interior courtesy lighting underneath the instrument panel and in the cup holder areas are provided.

My 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited, a dream come true-dashboard.jpg

Interior space & comfort

Two rows of seating are provided. The Wrangler 4 door version is 20.6 inches longer, giving it more cargo space and rear legroom than the 2 door version. The front twin seats are comfortable and movable with adjustments for height and recline, while the rear seats are forward facing fixed bench seats. Leg room and head room are adequate for adults to sit comfortably both in front and back seats. The cargo area is also adequate for hauling shopping bags and suitcases alike.

Driving position, ergonomics, controls & MID

The drivers seat is where everyone wants to be in a Jeep!

The steering wheel is provided with adjustment for tilt and is leather wrapped for comfortable grip. Controls for cruise and audio are provided.

The brake and accelerator pedals are comfortably spaced, however a dead pedal is not provided.

The gear lever and 4WD shift lever are in the middle and within easy reach. The dashboard is very well laid out with all the switches within easy reach and also all indications are visible.

My 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited, a dream come true-dash-driver.jpg

My 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited, a dream come true-dash-center.jpg

My 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited, a dream come true-door-panel.jpg

Visibility & size of mirrors

The front and rear glasses are smaller than normal vehicles. The rear view mirror does block the front view and many suggest inverting its position upside-down for better visibility! Also, the rear wiper motor box and the spare wheel block most of the rear view. Well, it’s a Jeep and got to get used to it. The door mirrors on the sides are motorized and provide adequate view.

Air conditioner cooling & effectiveness

Surprise! The a/c works very well and is very effective here!!

My 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited, a dream come true-ac.jpg

Audio system & sound quality

No comments, it tops my upgrade list! However, the wifey feels an upgrade to a touchscreen based audio/video/navigation system will spoil the retro looks of the Jeep.

My 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited, a dream come true-audio.jpg

Interior storage, practicality & boot space

Storage provided in form of glove compartment as well as part of front seat arm rest is adequate. Cup holders are provided both in the front and rear. Boot space is adequate on the 4 door Wrangler.

My 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited, a dream come true-dash-passenger.jpg

Engine performance & driveability in the city.

Surprisingly my family does not see any issues with this being a daily driver.

Although the Wrangler is built for extreme off-roading, the ride quality is shockingly good.

The overall ride is smooth thanks to the coil springs. The road bumps are easily soaked up by the suspension. The stability is well maintained in corners, body roll is minimal.

Engine performance & driveability on the highway

The Jeep Wrangler is NOT a high-speed highway hero. The 3.6-liter V6 Engine is reasonably fast, the sound is much more than a normal SUV and the exhaust note is throaty.

The Engine provides enough power for highway, generous throttle input is only needed during steep climbs.

The front seats are surprisingly good. Their shaping is just right for long distance travel. The rear seats are a bit too straight back for long distance travel. The cargo area provides enough space for hauling goods.

There is no ‘dead-pedal’ for resting the left foot.

The cruise control buttons on the steering wheel is a boon and the audio controls at the rear of the steering wheels (fingertips) helped enjoy the drive.

Additional comments and overall opinion on the engine

The Pentastar V6 is an impressive powerhouse and coupled with the newer automatic gearbox have helped the Jeep make tremendous leaps and bounds in the drivability category. It has made the Wrangler much more powerful, livable and fuel efficient.

The power-train details are as below:-

Drive type: 4WD
Transmission: 5 speed automatic
Engine liters: 3.6
Cylinder configuration: V-6
Horsepower: 285 hp @ 6,400 RPM
Torque: 260 lb-ft. @ 4,800 RPM
Number of valves: 24
Recommended fuel: regular unleaded
Fuel tank capacity: 85 Liters
Fuel economy city: 6.8 kmpl
Fuel economy highway: 8.5 kmpl

Automatic transmission

All Jeeps sold here are equipped with automatic transmission only.

The shifting is smooth and spot-on, both on city roads and highways.

It is welcome on city/highway rush hour traffic as no need to keep changing gears manually. It makes off-roading easier for drivers with less experience. And it will not stall (well, almost) while traversing tricky terrain.

The only downside is that, during issues, while a manual transmission will always get us home, for an auto, a tow truck will have to be summoned most of the times!

Overall NVH levels

Improvements in powertrain mounting and noise damping have helped the Jeep to maintain NVH within acceptable levels.

The upright windshield makes plenty of wind noise on the highway.

Road noise is absent with the stock tyres.

Suspension & ride quality, Handling, on-road behavior, grip levels, stability, body roll & turning radius

Although the Jeep is built for extreme off-roading, the ride quality is shockingly good on-road. The suspension is stiff and the handling acceptable. The ride can best be described as smooth, but firm and is especially good on the Unlimited model, probably because of its longer wheelbase. Road grip is good with the stock tyres. The stability is well maintained in corners, body roll is minimal. Turning radius is limited compared with other SUVs.

Steering

The steering wheel is leather wrapped, tilt able and comfortable to hold. It does feel light with some play and seems to require constant correction (very minimal!) to keep it straight! Some suspect it has to do with tyre alignment or pressure whereas others suggest that installation of a steering stabilizer fixes this issue.

While the feedback is almost absent in flat terrain, it shudders when driven over the humps or kerb.

Braking

All the 4 wheels are provided with disc type hydraulic, power-assisted brakes.

The braking is effective in both low and high speeds.

There seems to be a play with the brake pedal, it is something that needs to be tuned/fixed during my next service visit.

Ground clearance

The ground clearance is good and is adequate for most of the trails. The exact figures are as below:-

Approach angle: 38.5 deg
Departure angle: 29.2 deg
Ground clearance (max): 229mm (9.0")
Ground clearance (min): 221mm (8.7")
Ramp break over angle: 17.8 deg

Niggles, problems or part replacements

None, but plenty of accessories and replacements.

And many more to follow…

No wonder they say that JEEP is an acronym for Just Empty Every Pocket!

Quality of after-sales service

Nothing much to say here, but it was a pleasant experience for the first free service at 1000 kms.

I did not make a booking but walked in hoping to be lucky and was not let down.

The staff was courteous and the vehicle was promptly taken in. Delivery was promised in 3 hours.

The vehicle was available at the promised time and the quality of work carried out including the exterior and interior cleaning exceeded my expectations. They also mentioned that the next scheduled service was at 10000 kms or 6 months, whichever is first.

Cost of upkeep & maintenance

The Jeep is a fuel guzzler and this is not a concern in this part of the world. Maintenance at the dealer is not expensive probably because of the availability of a lot of other service establishments who can carry out the works.

However, the aftermarket accessories and modification parts available locally for the Jeep are many and it is very difficult to control the urge to splurge!

I have had the Jeep for more than a week now and the Odometer reads 1111 kms.

My 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited, a dream come true-odo.jpg

Above is only a brief review of the Jeep and I will not only continue to cover the other points but also be happy to discuss anything with the forum members.

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the 4x4 Section. Thanks for sharing!

Congratulations on your beast. Really enjoyed reading.

The gear knob looks so rich. I think a touchscreen unit would look more cooler. Go for it.

Congrats on your awesome JEEP. Lets have a lot more pics please. Probably with your Jeep covered in MUD lol: Fuel prices in the middle east is a blessing for us petrol heads. Costs around Rs 25 a litre I think clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by nshankar (Post 3730788)
Further to my post, I am pleased to announce that the Jeep was delivered on 11-June-2015. Here is a brief review of the same, please bear with me as this is my first one.

Hearty Congrats for your New Wrangler. clap:
I had a Wrangler YJ for 6 years.
Looking for more pics and modifications.

Congratulations on the JEEP.

I have driven 2015 JEEP Sahara version for few hundred kilometers and felt exactly the same way about the steering. Given that I experienced the same way with two different (rental) JEEPs, it does look more like a calibration issue than an alignment issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nshankar (Post 3730788)
Steering

The steering wheel is leather wrapped, tilt able and comfortable to hold. It does feel light with some play and seems to require constant correction (very minimal!) to keep it straight! Some suspect it has to do with tyre alignment or pressure whereas others suggest that installation of a steering stabilizer fixes this issue.

While the feedback is almost absent in flat terrain, it shudders when driven over the humps or kerb.

Great machine. Congrats. Few modifications needed. Waiting for upgrade.

Quote:

Originally Posted by microaubin (Post 3738216)
Congratulations on your beast. Really enjoyed reading.

The gear knob looks so rich. I think a touchscreen unit would look more cooler. Go for it.

Thanks. I too prefer a touchscreen but do not want to upset the wifey now! So, I have fixed my navigation and hands-free telephony with this for now.

My 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited, a dream come true-nav.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by windrider (Post 3738220)
Congrats on your awesome JEEP. Lets have a lot more pics please. Probably with your Jeep covered in MUD lol: Fuel prices in the middle east is a blessing for us petrol heads. Costs around Rs 25 a litre I think clap:

Thanks. Will click more and post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepCaptain (Post 3738382)
Hearty Congrats for your New Wrangler. clap:
I had a Wrangler YJ for 6 years.
Looking for more pics and modifications.

Thanks. Will click more and post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by infotech58 (Post 3738433)
Congratulations on the JEEP.

I have driven 2015 JEEP Sahara version for few hundred kilometers and felt exactly the same way about the steering. Given that I experienced the same way with two different (rental) JEEPs, it does look more like a calibration issue than an alignment issue.

Thanks for the pointer, shall check this with service.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhavukjain (Post 3738498)
Great machine. Congrats. Few modifications needed. Waiting for upgrade.

Thanks. I would love to hear about the modifications you suggest. My primary use of the Jeep will be on-road daily and week-end trips on sand.

The following modifications/additions were carried out:-

My 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited, a dream come true-c41.jpg

My 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited, a dream come true-c42.jpg

My 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited, a dream come true-c43.jpg

My 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited, a dream come true-c44.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by nshankar (Post 3738620)
Thanks. I too prefer a touchscreen but do not want to upset the wifey now! So, I have fixed my navigation and hands-free telephony with this for now.

Congratulation for owning this amazing vehicle! I really like the colour of the combination of white body and the black hard top.

+1 for your wife's opinion about the retro looks of the dashboard for jeep. It was really good choice of buying that GPS which can be mounted on the wind-shield that gives it looks of being "Adventurer"!

Drive Safe and Enjoy the Wrangler's life!

Quote:

Originally Posted by nshankar (Post 3738622)
The following additional modifications/additions were carried out:-
  • Llumar sun control films on all windows and rear.
  • Rubicon black alloy rims.
  • Goodyear Wrangler tyre.

Attachment 1385897

Attachment 1385898

Attachment 1385899

Attachment 1385900

Awesome review on an Awesome Ride!! :)
The Sun films make the Jeep look splendid. Lucky You.

We in India, do not have the Luxury of Sun Films anymore :(

Wow, those new alloys look dishy ! One of my favorite SUVs, congratulations and wishing you many happy miles with it.

p.s. tons of pictures and updates are most welcome :) One of the very few (if not the only) Wrangler review on this forum.

1500 kms done, I'm loving it!

My 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited, a dream come true-1500.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick_Wanderlust (Post 3738633)
Congratulation for owning this amazing vehicle! I really like the colour of the combination of white body and the black hard top.

+1 for your wife's opinion about the retro looks of the dashboard for jeep. It was really good choice of buying that GPS which can be mounted on the wind-shield that gives it looks of being "Adventurer"!

Drive Safe and Enjoy the Wrangler's life!

Thanks. Although Red+Black was my first choice, it was not available and therefore settled for this. I am beginning to like it after the black components have been added.

The GPS kinda blends in on the dash.

My 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited, a dream come true-nav1.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by unni246 (Post 3738640)
Awesome review on an Awesome Ride!! :)
The Sun films make the Jeep look splendid. Lucky You.

We in India, do not have the Luxury of Sun Films anymore :(

Thanks. Here, Sun film allowed on side and rear glasses if < 30% but no film on front glass as it interferes with speed cameras.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistiks (Post 3738865)
Wow, those new alloys look dishy ! One of my favorite SUVs, congratulations and wishing you many happy miles with it.

p.s. tons of pictures and updates are most welcome :) One of the very few (if not the only) Wrangler review on this forum.

Thanks. I was lucky to get my Rubicon components from another Jeeper who decided to upgrade them on his Rubicon-X less than one month old!

Trip to Jarnan Caves on Friday, some pics as below:-

My 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited, a dream come true-jarnan-cave-2.jpg

My 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited, a dream come true-jarnan-cave-1.jpg

My 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited, a dream come true-sunset-jarnan-cave.jpg

And have now clocked 2000 kms!

My 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited, a dream come true-2000.jpg

Few are able to own and live a dream. U are one of the lucky few. Congrats clap: ! Awesome writeup on the ownership, thoroughly enjoyed reading it :)