Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2016, 20:45   #1
Senior - BHPian

The Red Devil makes way for the Silver Fox - My 2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Grand Vitara Ownership Thread

Hello Everyone,
Well, this might be my 5th or 6th ownership thread on Teambhp. Almost all the other vehicles (for which the threads were opened) have been sold and am keeping just the Toyota Land Cruiser which I definitely plan to keep in my Garage.

My Landcruiser Thread

This thread is about a vehicle which is my most recent acquisition. Well let me start from the beginning. I had purchased and restored a Maruti Gypsy in 2010. This vehicle itself had quite a story behind it. Bought in 1998, sold in 2001/2 again bought in 2010. This vehicle was painstakingly restored in the beginning of 2011 and since that time I had it in my possession giving me trouble free ownership experience. Never went for any serious off-roading in the Gypsy other than some sand bashing and that too just a couple of times during the initial years. Since the day I got the Gypsy restored, it was regularly serviced at proper intervals of 5K Kms or every 1 year whichever came earlier.

Now this thing happened. Last service for the Gypsy was done in Feb'15 at 97xx Kms. Almost 1 year having passed since the last service and checkup I decided to get the vehicle serviced and this is when I was in for a surprise. In the last 11 months I'd driven the vehicle for just 500 Kms. The vehicle was simply not being used and when that happens the condition of the vehicle starts to deteriorate. This 500 Kms too was driven by my drivers who are under instructions to drive it once in a week or two around the colony so that the brakes don't get jammed, the oil, coolant keeps circulating, and any issues that might comeup are attended too and sorted at once.

So I began thinking, when the vehicle isn't being used, why not sell it off and buy something which would be used by everyone in the family hense the thought process and search began. Lots of options came to my mind like buying a new premium hatch, or a 2nd hand Toyota Corolla, Elantra and the likes. But in my heart I wasn't totally convinced of selling off a 4x4 and buying a sedan or a hatch. It just didn't gel and never convinced me.

Here's a picture of my Gypsy

The Red Devil makes way for the Silver Fox - My 2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara-20140217_140724.jpg

During this time when all this was going on in my head, what happened was, I went to Bikaner in mid Dec'15 with a friend in his vehicle. We were travelling in his 2008 Maruti Suzuki Grand Vitara. He had picked up the vehicle in Jan'15. The vehicle was simply perfect. Simply no squeaks, no road noise, much better than a hatch or a sedan, decent pickup and fantastic confidence inspiring breaking ability. On the way back, I drove the vehicle back to Delhi from Bikaner and I was floored. Even after having done 80-90K Kms the engine was extremely responsive to the touch of the accelerator. Hense my search and research for the Grand Vitara began.

Here's a picture of the vehicle which started it all.

The Red Devil makes way for the Silver Fox - My 2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara-img_20151204_173021.jpg

Once back in Delhi I began pouring over threads on TeamBHP and ended up reading Sharat's Thread in just a matter of 2 days. I don't know how much I grasped but did grasp this much that
  • The vehicle is trouble free
  • Maruti Suzuki Reliability
  • Parts aren't cheap but not that expensive either
  • Normal Service cost is under 10 grands each 10K Kms
  • Not a hardcore offroad vehicle but having decent Off-Road capability with a Low Ratio Gearbox
  • Parts availability is not an issue but not available over the counter like other vehicles. However already having experience with maintaining my Landcruiser since the past 5 years for which again parts are a bit hard to come by this wasn't an issue at all.
  • Excellent Pickup (do remember the other SUV I have is a diesel Toyota Landcruiser)
  • Excellent Braking even from triple digit speeds
So all in all it ticked all the right check boxes.

Now the best part was I didn't even need to search for a vehicle. One of my relatives was selling his Grand Vitara which he bought second hand in 2012. At that time the ODO meter read 36,xxx Kms and the current reading was 45,8xx Kms. He didn't drive the vehicle much as all other vehicles in his house are Diesels and this vehicle usually took a backseat and moreover this 10K Kms which he drove was mostly on the highways.

As soon as I was back in Delhi I spoke to my relative and requested him to send pictures of the vehicle on Whatspap. This is what he sent.

The Red Devil makes way for the Silver Fox - My 2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara-img20151209wa0009.jpg

The Red Devil makes way for the Silver Fox - My 2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara-img20151209wa0011.jpg

The Red Devil makes way for the Silver Fox - My 2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara-img20151209wa0012.jpg

The Red Devil makes way for the Silver Fox - My 2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara-img20151209wa0014.jpg

The above pictures have been clicked by my relative and belong to him.

The idea to buy this vehicle was pitched to everyone in the family and everyone agreed with just one caveat. "THE GYPSY NEEDS TO GO FIRST." This wasn't a problem as mentally I had already made up my mind to sell the Gypsy and buy the Vitara. Till this point I hadn't driven this Vitara and just saw it once in 2012 when my relative bought it.

So I placed an advertisement on social media on 11thJan'16 and the Gypsy was sold in just a couple of days. The price which the Gypsy exchanged hands was 205K.
Funny thing happened during this transaction, actually those staying in Delhi would find it so. My Gypsy was an EVEN numbered vehicle and the Vitara ODD. I received the down payment on an ODD day (13thJan'16) with a promise from the buyer of the Gypsy that the entire amount would be paid the next day(14thJan'16). Now the deal having being done and vehicle being sold, I wanted to get the the Vitara home at any cost and I knew in my heart that either I go and get it today(13thJan'16, ODD Day) as next day being EVEN I wouldn't be able to go and take delivery of the Vitara as the it is ODD numbered and can't be driven on EVEN days, further knowing myself, I wouldn't be at ease till the time I get the vehicle home. It was already late in the evening on the 13thJan'16 and as it was the festival of Lohri in Northern India I was busy during the evening with family functions and so was my relative. So those 2 nights were again spent reading Samurai's thread and just trying to spend time. At one point in time, for a moment, I even contemplated paying the fine and driving it home the next day but thank god good sense prevailed.

So the day after being Friday (15thJan'16) the entire schedule for the day was cleared, all work forgotten and I was off to see and get the vehicle home. Do remember that by this time I haven't physically seen the vehicle in over 4 years, never driven it and no idea on the condition. I reach his home at noon and as soon as the greetings exchanged without sitting demand the keys to the Grand Vitara.

Once inside the vehicle this is the 1st picture I snap.

The Red Devil makes way for the Silver Fox - My 2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara-img20160116wa0012.jpg

ODO Meter reads 45,818

Took it for a small test drive and the vehicle was just perfect. No body rattles, very responsive, all the buttons, knobs, Aircon working. There is a small playground near his house so I took it there to check the 4x4 for engaging and disengaging the HIGH & LOW RATIO and was glad that it was working as well. Took me a little time to understand the working of the 4x4 knob as the Clutch and Brake need to be pressed simultaneously to engage and disengage but a quick call to my friend, the one who implanted the bug in me, and quickly got the hang of it.

Snapped a couple of pics while testing.

The Red Devil makes way for the Silver Fox - My 2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara-img20160116wa0003.jpg

The Red Devil makes way for the Silver Fox - My 2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara-img20160116wa0005.jpg

The Red Devil makes way for the Silver Fox - My 2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara-img20160116wa0007.jpg

The Red Devil makes way for the Silver Fox - My 2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara-img20160116wa0008.jpg

The Red Devil makes way for the Silver Fox - My 2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara-img20160116wa0013.jpg

The Red Devil makes way for the Silver Fox - My 2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara-img20160116wa0015.jpg

Came back, discussed on the price and the vehicle was mine in a matter of minutes.

Advantages which this particular vehicle had
  • Tyres replaces about 2-3K kms back to Bridgestone Duellers HTS 235/70/R16. Hense a long life ahead. Even by a conservative estimate these saved me 30K.
  • Clutch changed 4K kms back. Saving of 15-20K atleast.
  • New Battery in Jan'15 Saving 4K
  • Changed the upholstery 5 months back. Saving 10K
  • Now the best Part. When the vehicle was bought in 2012, it was transferred in my company's name, which meant no need to transfer it again, I'm already the registered 2nd owner.
  • The vehicle is Nov'08 and the full insurance was renewed in Nov'15 for 12K. So as its not to be transferred I retain the insurance and no expense for insurance for the next 10 months. Saving 10K.
  • ODOmeter reading is Genuine 46K Kms, non accidental and no claim on insurance. Later got it checked up at MASS (Maruti Authorised Service) as well and there has been no BodyShop work done on the vehicle, Ever.
  • Saved atleast 5K on Dealer commission.
So optimistically speaking saved atleast 75K of immediate or near term expenses over and above the cost of the vehicle.

As they say "A Known Devil Is Better Than An Unknown Angel" and I know for sure that I haven't got a Devil. So all in all the PROS really outweigh the CONS, if they arise.

So finally we agreed at a price 380K.

In my mind the transaction goes like this.
  • Sold an early 1998 manufactured vehicle and purchased one manufactured in late 2008. So got a 10 almost 11 year newer vehicle
  • Had to spend just 175K from my pocket to get a premium vehicle.
  • No installments No Loans
  • If one deducts the 75K of savings (read above) the amount comes to 100K which is not bad at all.
  • I was prepared to buy either a new hatch or a 2nd hand D Segment Sedan. The Vitara definitely beats both of them hands down.
  • Known history of the vehicle. Serviced at MASS (Maruti Authorised Service) till 31K kms (by the 1st owner as my relative bought it at 36K Kms) then then for sure I know it was service twice at a Neighborhood Garage as told to me by the seller.
  • Sold a vehicle which no one used to drive for one which anyone in the family could and would drive.
  • Sold a vehicle as basic as a jeep with no comfort and safety features to a premium compact SUV with safety features like Airbags and ABS power-steering, etc.
  • The vehicle might not be as peppy at the Vitara 2.4 liter version which came in later but it definitely serves my purpose as a city commuter and occasional highway vehicle.
  • The vehicle might not be as fuel efficient as one might want it to be. But even if it returns 8+KMpL, I'll be more than happy with it.

So here is the story behind me getting my hands behind the Grand Vitara. The plan for now is to get it serviced at Motorcraft Sahibabad, change all the fluids (Engine Oil, Brake Oil, Gearbox Transfer Case & Differential Oil, Coolant, Power Steering Fluid, etc,) Air, Oil and Aircon Filters to start with. This is the same workshop where Sudev sir takes his Vitara. In addition to this I'll be getting it check for parts like suspension, steering linkages, brake pad, disc conditions etc.

I've already driven it for 300 Kms over the weekend and will be sharing my initial experience in the next couple of post along with the service and checkup experience.

Took the vehicle to Motorcraft Sahibabad for a general checkup and 1st detailed service.

Jobs Requested
  • Complete Service
  • Engine Oil & Oil Filter Change
  • Powersteering Fluid Change
  • Brake Fluid Change
  • Coolant Change
  • Air Filter change
  • Aircon Filter Change
  • All Lights & Bulbs Check
  • Gear Box, Transfer Case Oil and Differential Oil Change
  • Brake Pad Clean Check & Replace, if necessary
  • Drum Brake Check and & Replace, if necessary
  • Suspension Inspect
  • Engine Mounting Check
  • Gearbox Mounting Check

I was there at the workshop at 12 noon and they straightaway sent the vehicle for washing first. This was done on my request as being a Saturday I didn't want to get the work done and then keep waiting for the vehicle to be washed. The vehicle was washed around 2.30PM (they had lunch time in between) and then the work on the vehicle started.

I was there at the workshop till 6pm and the work done that day was
  • Engine Oil and Oil Filter Replaced. (changed oil to full Synthetic 5W50 on the recommendation of my friend who's the GM of Motorcraft, though it says 0W40 on the Bill)
  • Coolant Replaced
  • Brake Fluid Replaced
  • Power Steering Fluid Replaced
  • Front Left and Rear Left Power window switches changed
  • Spark Plugs Replaced
  • Full Servicing & Checking
  • Brake Pads and Rear Drums Cleaned
  • Air Filter Cleaned. Wanted to get it changed but wasn't in stock
  • AirCon Filter cleaned. Again this wasn't in stock.

Work which couldn't be done owing to non availability of parts and observations are
  • Brake Pads need replacement. Parts weren't in stock. Have been ordered
  • Both Front Left and Right lower Arms need to be replaced. They still have a life for the next 8-10K kms so not replacing at the present time.
  • Jumping Rod Bush need replacement. Parts weren't in stock. Have been ordered.
  • Gear Oil Transfer Case and Differential Oil not in Stock.Has been ordered.
  • Water Pump Belt needs to be replaced. Parts weren't in stock. Have been ordered.
  • Air Con Filter needs to be changed. Parts weren't in stock. Have been ordered.
  • Air Filter Element needs to be changed. Parts weren't in stock. Have been ordered. Will keep the stock filter, not going in for K&N at the present time.
  • Both Engine Mounting needs to be changed. Parts weren't in stock. Have been ordered.
  • Link Rod needs to be replaced. Parts weren't in stock. Have been ordered.
  • Arrestor Bearing (no idea what this is) needs to be changed. Parts weren't in stock. Have been ordered.

Rest the vehicle/ engine seems to be in the perfect condition as per the Service Advisor. Most of the above parts which have gone bad have done so with regards to the age of the vehicle. The most expensive parts in the above list are the Brake Pads 6K, Engine Mountings 10K for both, and Suspension Arms 10-11K each. The rest of the parts are pretty cheap. I've decided to get all the parts replaced and leave the Front suspension arms for later.

Attaching a copy of the bill and the picture I clicked of the observation remarks written by the Service Advisor by hand on his notepad.

The Red Devil makes way for the Silver Fox - My 2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara-bill-untitled.jpg

The Red Devil makes way for the Silver Fox - My 2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara-observations-img_20160116_161729.jpg

Snapped some pictures of the interiors of the vehicle.

The Red Devil makes way for the Silver Fox - My 2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara-_mg_6558.jpg

The Red Devil makes way for the Silver Fox - My 2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara-_mg_6559.jpg

The Red Devil makes way for the Silver Fox - My 2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara-_mg_6561.jpg

The Red Devil makes way for the Silver Fox - My 2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara-_mg_6562.jpg

The Red Devil makes way for the Silver Fox - My 2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara-_mg_6563.jpg

The Red Devil makes way for the Silver Fox - My 2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara-_mg_6564.jpg

The Red Devil makes way for the Silver Fox - My 2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara-_mg_6565.jpg

The Red Devil makes way for the Silver Fox - My 2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara-_mg_6567.jpg

The Red Devil makes way for the Silver Fox - My 2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara-_mg_6571.jpg

Attended a small Time Speed Distance (TSD) Rally on Sunday and drove the vehicle for over 200 Kms during the event and after driving it for 300 odd Kms in total after buying, I'm sharing my experiences. Please do note that I've been driving a Toyota Landcruiser since he past 5+ years and more or less my comparison is on those lines.

Driving Experience/ Comfort/ Things I like and Dislike
  • The vehicle is simply a pleasure to drive in the city and on the highway. The pickup is great and so is the breaking efficiency. Even while driving in the 4th and 5th Gear, provided one is in the right RPM Band, one doesn't need to downshift whereas in my Diesel Landcruiser I need to downshift to the 3rd to again take it back to cruising speeds on the highways. Pleasure of driving a Petrol
  • The vehicle is very stable at high speeds on the highways. One doesn't need to even think twice before overtaking, just one/ two downshift and you're good.
  • The vehicle is basically vibration free. While standing at Red Lights I have to literally look at the RPM meter to see when its started or shut off on its own.
  • The noise cancellation when the windows are shut is very good.
  • The Music system leaves something to be desired. No plans to change it at the present time. I just wished they'd provided atleast an AUX input. Searching the market for attachments that could enable this.
  • Cornering is very nice, much better controlled compared to the Landcruiser. I guess this has to do with the shorter height of the Vitara compared to the Landcruiser.
  • The riding position is much better than a Car. However the eye level is still lower than what one would expect from a typical SUV.
  • The driving position and seating is very comfortable. Though I drove it for just 4-5 odd hours didn't feel any tiredness. My arms started aching after a while but later learnt that the steering wheel can be adjusted up and down and once I adjusted it for my driving style it was great.
  • Its a nice little compact SUV for a small family. Can very comfortably seat 4 and might even seat 5 but that's it.
  • The boot space is very decent. I reckon that it can easily take 2 or even 3 full sized bags with ease.
  • I love the placement of the spare tyre. Its easy to remove and put it back on. Doesn't involve the hassle of lowering the spare like than in an Innova and the Landcruiser.
  • I like that the information display shows the outside temperature, time and the Fuel Efficiency (Rolling and Average). Though I've set it to OFF as I kept staring at it every couple of moments.
  • Over the weekend while driving for the TSD event we had to drive over some unpaved and bad to very bad roads. The vehicle handles unpaved roads very well. However only when there were no roads with big craters I found that I had to slow down much more than I typically do in my Landcruiser. I am in no way saying that the suspension is not good. On the contrary its very good. Just that maybe the weight of the vehicle is half of that of the Landcruiser and the suspension and shockers have not been designed to handle the kind of abuse that the Landcruiser can take. I fully understand that its not a fair comparison but comparison to the Landcruiser is the only basis I have. Maybe over time when I've driven it more, I'll change my mind over this.
  • The Tyres installed though are Highway Terrain and I intend to keep them. REASONS One I don't want to spend unnecessary cash and Second for my use (city, highway and occasional hills) I think that they'll do just fine.

Thanks Guys

PS: All the pics have been clicked by me except where mentioned

Last edited by harjeev : 19th January 2016 at 15:02.
harjeev is offline   (52) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 00:20   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: The Red Devil makes way for the Silver Fox - My 2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Congrats on such a low mileage Grand Vitara. It has a long life ahead of it. Mine is at 104k right now and still very smooth. Recently got the car detailed and it looks new.

For just 3.8L you got a car that can match a 30L car.

Last edited by Samurai : 19th January 2016 at 00:21.
Samurai is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 09:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Harjeev on the GV.

I had also sold my Gypsy in Aug 2015 and was madly hunting for a GV. I got lucky and had found and finalised a 2011 2.4 GV but at the last moment the seller kind of ditched me and sold it to someone else inspite of me having paid the token.

After that i couldnt find any good GVs and in the end settled for a Ecosport. Not that the Ecosport is bad but a GV is a GV especially after knowing how it has served Sudev and Samurai.

My heart still beats for the GV.

All the best and hope the GV serves you for years to come.

Cheers,
Raj
Desmosedici is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 09:32   #4
BHPian

Re: The First Grand Vitara Ownership on Team-BHP [100000 KMs & 8 Years]

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Hi Guys,
This is my first post on this thread. In my opinion this thread should be renamed as an Encyclopedia and Maintenance Manual for Grand Vitara Ownership In India. I've been a lurker on this thread for quite and while and have been reading posts, comments and discussions since years never ever even remotely thinking that one day I might lay my hands on such a vehicle. Reading and Re-reading this thread gave me enough confidence to finally take the plunge last week.
I finally got my hands on a November 2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara and have started my thread on the Test Drive And Initial Ownership Reports Section to document the decision making, buying and initial ownership report.

Here's the link to the thread
The Red Devil Makes Way For the Silver Fox - My 2008 Grand Vitara

Await expert comments and opinions.
Congrats on the 'new' car. There seem to be a number of GV owners in NCR area now. Let's plan on a meetup.
joshiviv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 09:51   #5
BHPian

Welcome to the club. You have certainly got a good piece. The engine bay looks dusty. During service ensure that, in addition to all the replacements, they also clean the air intake pipe from the bonnet to the air filter box. Put a thin nylon rope through and let it drag a long cloth. Alternately remove the pipe and give it a good wash. Your area seems to be dusty. So a standard filter is preferable to a K&N. Iridium spark plugs will smoothen the engine, improve driveability and fuel economy.

Last edited by GTO : 20th January 2016 at 10:50. Reason: No SMS language please
sridhar-v is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 15:51   #6
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved to 4x4 vehicles. Thanks for sharing the review!
Old 19th January 2016, 16:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,
I've updated the first post with the experience, observations when the vehicle was last serviced. Some of the parts and spares weren't available. They have been ordered and will head to the workshop this saturday and get the job done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Congrats on such a low mileage Grand Vitara. It has a long life ahead of it. Mine is at 104k right now and still very smooth. Recently got the car detailed and it looks new.

For just 3.8L you got a car that can match a 30L car.
Thanks Samurai. Your vehicle was one of the reasons I went in for the Grand Vitara. As I mentioned on your thread. You should seriously think of renaming it as the 'Manual and Encyclopedia For Owning And Maintenance Of Grand Vitara In India'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Congrats Harjeev on the GV.

I had also sold my Gypsy in Aug 2015 and was madly hunting for a GV. I got lucky and had found and finalised a 2011 2.4 GV but at the last moment the seller kind of ditched me and sold it to someone else inspite of me having paid the token.

After that i couldnt find any good GVs and in the end settled for a Ecosport. Not that the Ecosport is bad but a GV is a GV especially after knowing how it has served Sudev and Samurai.

My heart still beats for the GV.

All the best and hope the GV serves you for years to come.

Cheers,
Raj
Thanks Raj

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshiviv View Post
Congrats on the 'new' car. There seem to be a number of GV owners in NCR area now. Let's plan on a meetup.
Anytime Joshiviv. I'm absolutely game for it. Even if we're just 3-4 owners lets meet up. Once we share pics on teambhp, I'm sure many more would join in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
Welcome to the club. You have certainly got a good piece. The engine bay looks dusty. During service ensure that, in addition to all the replacements, they also clean the air intake pipe from the bonnet to the air filter box. Put a thin nylon rope thru and let it drag a long cloth. Alternately remove the pipe and give it a good wash. Your area seems to be dusty. So a standard filter is preferable to a K&N. Iridium spark plugs will smoothen the engine, improve drivability and fuel economy.
Thanks Sridhar. The engine bay was dusty as the vehicle was standing idle for quite a while. I'm retaining the stock filter for now and conserving all expenses for just bringing it upto tip top shape. Once done will plan on upgrades starting with a Performance Filter and Exhaust (Headers with Free Flow Exhaust), not the loud rally types but very subtle.

Enclosing a Picture of the engine bay I clicked today morning. This is after the vehicle has been driven for 300 kms since last service and included a TSD Rally over the weekend.
The Red Devil makes way for the Silver Fox - My 2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara-_mg_6573.jpg
harjeev is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 16:37   #8
BHPian

Hi Harjeev,

Congratulations on the Vitara, just one quick question about the gypsy. Did you have any trouble in transferring the ownership given the ban on 15 year old vehicles in delhi and NCR?

My Gypsy is stuck because RTO refuses to process the papers.
caged_nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 21:20   #9
BHPian

Re: The Red Devil makes way for the Silver Fox - My 2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Congratulation on the Grand Vitara Harjeev.

Your Gypsy was an inspiration when I started building my own. I would say the owner did get a bang for money with your Gypsy.

Does the Vitara come with the under-body armor? particularly asking because of the amount of dust in both the bay pictures.

I'm loving the interiors, also that way you have detailed and captured them.
Guessing that you used 10 MM wide angle for the shot!

Happy wheeling!
Twinn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2016, 00:49   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
....As soon as I was back in Delhi I spoke to my relative and requested him to send pictures of the vehicle on Whatspap.

This is what he sent....

Once inside the vehicle this is the 1st picture I snap....
That's a lovely vehicle there Harjeev! Am sure you have got a near virgin vehicle, if I go by the Vitara ownerships on the forum. Enjoy the tough beast. This is another off-the-beat vehicle which amuses me on the forum. The first one was a Palio 1.6 which I managed to grab recently. If God is gracious enough, one day I'll pen down an ownership on GV too.

Quote:
....So finally we agreed at a price 380K....

Had to spend just 175K from my pocket to get a premium vehicle...
The beauty of lateral upgrades, isn't it?!

Off-Topic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
... I got lucky and had found and finalised a 2011 2.4 GV but at the last moment the seller kind of ditched me and sold it to someone else inspite of me having paid the token...
I remember you talking about a GV when we caught up at Motoshines! Was it a Gold color DL registered GV? If so, I wouldn't be surprised. All his (owner's) deeds were shady!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 21st January 2016 at 00:54.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2016, 06:04   #11
BHPian

Congratulations Harjeev!!! This is drool worthy stuff. GV is a timeless beauty ! A looker ! And the fact that it did not sell well means you can get a very good deal if you buy it pre owned and thats exactly what you got !!

Wish you lots of happy miles with the Grand Vitara!!
mayank0782 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2016, 08:06   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Grand Vitara Ownership Thread

Attachment 1462965
Attachment 1462966
Change the position of your air freshner. In the current position it will be flung towards the passenger if the airbag deploys.
sridhar-v is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2016, 16:33   #13
BHPian

Congrats Harjeev!!

I was very sad to see the Gypsy go, but now it all makes sense. Wonder what your son said about selling the Gypsy

I see a good few GVs in the group in the last year or so, What made you choose the GV over a Outlander?

Very nice GV BTW and it seems the paper-work also worked out in your favor.
GoSlow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2016, 16:34   #14
BHPian

Besides being an interesting read, this was quite an eye-opening post - I knew that Maruti-Suzuki built tough vehicles, but I had no idea they were that bulletproof!

Kudos to the previous owners also, for maintaining the vehicle as well as they did. Hope you get many more happy miles out of your latest acquisition
ads1485 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2016, 12:16   #15
BHPian

Hi Harjeev Sir,

Congrats on your new acquisition. The Vitara is one of my favourite vehicles to hit the Indian tarmac and it is very refreshing to see an ownership review of the same. Wishing you thousands of happy, safe and trouble free miles with the Vitara in the years to come.

The versatility of the Vitara is unmatched. Hope she serves you well on and off the road. Do keep the thread updated.

It was sad to see the Gypsy go, but I am glad that you retained your Land Cruiser.

Neel
petrolhead_neel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed