Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2016, 23:35   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

The Jeep - MM540XD Transformed!

Hello People,

This thread is regarding a Jeep I bought some 4 years ago. An MM540XD. All through these years, the time I've spent modifying it is much..much more than what I've spent on driving it. Eg: A couple of days of BAOTR means a weeks preparation atleast. So, I thought of sharing what all I've done on it. Well, not exactly what all I've done on it, but what it has. Since if you take each part, it might have been modified not once, twice but many times. (Eg: 4 different types of rear axles 4 times, over 4 years).

And, I already have two threads running on the same vehicle. However, even though the registration number is same, the vehicle in its entirity is transformed completely. And as funny and ridiculos as it sounds, in the near future I dont intend to do any major mods.. So, this thread will mainly focus on the mods that is there on the vehicle, as of today, how it works, and any future mods that will be done and yes, lots of pictures!. I also intend to keep this thread as an ongoing blog with updates after each event.

So, the mods done on my vehicle as of today is:

Engine:
  • Nissan SD 25 Engine.
  • Turbocharged with K03 (TEL) Oil Cooled Turbo Charger
  • Mico Bosch Inline fuel Pump (high 5100 rpm custom setting & fuel delivery)
  • Electronic Fuel Pump to assist smooth idling and fuel flow during steep angles.
  • Bigger Airfilter with Cold Air Intake/Snorkel Plumbing.
  • Full free flow exhaust with 3” GI pipes plumbing. Also included 3" flexible pipes to reduce driveline vibration being transmitted.
  • Provision for raising exhaust in case of water wading.
  • High Idle Switch
Chassis:
  • C-Section Flexible Chassis with custom mounts for shocks, fuel tank, steering box
Body:
  • Twin Cab Soft Top.
  • Rear Offroad bumper, tyre career with mounts for Hi Lift Jack & Flag pole
  • Front fenders cut for more wheel travel.
  • Custom crash proof mud splash guards.
Engine Cooling System:
  • Custom Built 24" wide Radiator with 4 cores - Relocated to the rear
  • GI & Industrial standard hoses retro fit for rear radiator plumbing.
  • Approx 24 liters water volume.
  • Ford Fiesta 24" electric cooling Fan with shroud - No Mechanical Fan.
Drivetrain:
  • KMT 90 4 Forward + 1 Reverse Gear Box.
  • T 18 Transfer Case
  • Hydraulic clutch with heavy duty friction plates with double spring type hubs. Suitable for clutch dumping.
  • Alwyn Nissan Cabstar Pressure plate.
  • Full Aluminium Bell housing with adaptor plate
  • 57 inch Open Knuckle Ball Joint Type Dana 44 Front Axle with 4.88 (44/9) Diff ratio with differential guards and extended breathers
  • 53 inch Fully Floating Dana 44 Rear Axle with 1.5" spacers on either side. Also, includes differential guards and extended breathers
  • 19 spline Lock Rite Automatic Differential lockers
  • Lambda Mechanical locking Free Wheeling Hubs
Suspension & Steering:
  • Narrow Leafs custom built for more articulation
  • Longer Travel Ironman Nitro Gas Filled Shock Absorbers.
  • Longer shackles for Leaf Springs for more lift & Articulation.
  • Manual Recirculating Ball Type Steering Box, Mounted in the front chassis cross member.
  • Custom made stronger steering rods & Heavy Duty Ball Joints.
Wheels & Tyres:
  • 33 x 12.5 x 15 Maxxis Bighorn Mud Terrain Tyre or 33x12.5x16 Silverstone Extreme Mud Tyres.
  • 15 x 10J x 139.4 Steel Wheels with -30mm offset or 16 x 10J x 139.4 Steel Wheels.
Recovery:
  • 8000 lbs Mile Marker ES high speed winch in front.
  • 10000lbs Runva winch at back.
  • 25 meters, 12000 lbs rated synthetic winch rope
  • 25 meters 8000 lbs rated spare steel rope.
  • 48" T-Max hi lift Jack
  • Rear 8000 kg rated pintle hook recovery point, mounted on 8mm thick base plate
  • Front 5000kg rated 2 D hook recovery point
Safety:
  • 6 point FMSCI Approved roll cage (Seamless pipes with 4.5mm thickness and 48mm outer dia)
  • Mitsubishi Pajero Reclining Bucket Seats with 4 point Sparco Rally Seat belts.
  • Full Stainless Steel Limb Raisers
  • Custom Snorkel plumbing with duct pipe and Force Ghurka Snorkel Head. Approx wading height more than 1500 mm of water wading
  • 2mm thick 5 feet x 3 feet metal plate on top of the front cabin, protection in case of roll on’s
  • Front Stinger Bumper
  • Raised Fuel Tank with 2mm thick tank guard & Fuel banjo on side.
  • Handbrakes retrofitted.
  • Gearbox and Transfer case guard
  • Engine Sump Guard.
  • Emergency Assist Strobe Lights
Brakes:
  • Hanging Pedals with Bolero Type Brake Booster
  • Pick Up Discs.
  • Double Cylinder Type Rear Drum Brakes.
  • Retrofitted Handbrakes.
Electricals:
  • All terminals, and joints water proofed.
  • 100 Ah Battery relocated to the rear with 20 mm thick cables.
  • Starting motor water proofed.
  • Electric Master Cut Off Switch, sealed for water wading.
  • Engine Push Start Button
  • Helicopter type Switches for all major operations
  • Windshield washer
  • 90 Ah Alternator with vacuum pump
Lights:
  • 24 inch 120W cree led bar mounted on top of the windsheild
  • 40 watt LED windshield spread lights
  • Auto pal 100 W reverse llights
  • 1800lumens LED Turn Indicators
  • Emergency Assist Strobe Lights
  • Hella wide spread work lamps for reverse asssit
  • 10 inch 60W LED bar for rear.
Comfort:
  • Mitsubishi Pajero Reclining Bucket Seats
  • Air Conditioned Cabin with Super King blower, heavy duty custom made condenser and high speed condenser cooling fan
  • Noise reduction on the floor & under the hood.
  • Custom made Soft-Top with heat insulation on the inside.
Now for some nice pictures:

The Jeep - MM540XD Transformed!-1.jpg

The Jeep - MM540XD Transformed!-2.jpg

The Jeep - MM540XD Transformed!-3.jpg

The Jeep - MM540XD Transformed!-4.jpg

The Jeep - MM540XD Transformed!-5.jpg

The Jeep - MM540XD Transformed!-6.jpg

The Jeep - MM540XD Transformed!-7.jpg

The Jeep - MM540XD Transformed!-8.jpg

The Jeep - MM540XD Transformed!-9.jpg

The Jeep - MM540XD Transformed!-10.jpg

The Jeep - MM540XD Transformed!-11.jpg

The Jeep - MM540XD Transformed!-12.jpg

The Jeep - MM540XD Transformed!-13.jpg

The Jeep - MM540XD Transformed!-14.jpg

The Jeep - MM540XD Transformed!-15.jpg

The Jeep - MM540XD Transformed!-15a.jpg

The Jeep - MM540XD Transformed!-16.jpg

The Jeep - MM540XD Transformed!-17.jpg

The Jeep - MM540XD Transformed!-12356779_10153720970501963_4650329963162503136_o.jpg

Here are a couple of videos:

So, thats all for now. Next, I'll try to post detailed pics about the above said mods. Meanwhile, please do pour in your comments and questions!

Thanks!
dhanushs is offline   (80) Thanks
Old 26th February 2016, 03:22   #2
BHPian

re: The Jeep - MM540XD Transformed!

Quite a wheeler you have there Dhanush.. I have seen the jeep transform quite literally in BHP most of the times.. It looks like its came out of the GYM pumped with steroids!

Happy 4-wheeling, time to win some competitions to get some money back Wasn't this your daily driver? Now it looks like purpose built!

Last edited by Twinn : 26th February 2016 at 03:29.
Twinn is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th February 2016, 10:15   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinn View Post
Quite a wheeler you have there Dhanush.. I have seen the jeep transform quite literally in BHP most of the times.. It looks like its came out of the GYM pumped with steroids!
Thank you for the encouraging words buddy!
Quote:
Wasn't this your daily driver? Now it looks like purpose built!
Somewhere down the line, I recognised you cannot have one Jeep for all purposes, which was the trend going on here some 4 years back.

Its either on-road or off-road. Nowadays, I dont use this Jeep on-road at all. Zero. Going forward, I guess I'll need a flatbed to tow it.
Old 26th February 2016, 10:27   #4
BHPian

Bloody hell. That thing makes me want to buy an old jeep, get the work done on it and go off-roading.
But yeah, i cant afford to maintain two cars.

Great job mate! It does feel like a very tedious job done over a course of lot of time.

How much did the whole thing cost btw?
vamsi2390 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2016, 11:01   #5
Team-BHP Support

Wow, what a transformation. It is clear you are eyeing the RFC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
I recognised you cannot have one Jeep for all purposes, which was the trend going on here some 4 years back.
Well, those were simpler days when we could drive stock Jeeps in offroad events.

Quote:
Its either on-road or off-road. Nowadays, I dont use this Jeep on-road at all. Zero. Going forward, I guess I'll need a flatbed to tow it.
Since it is no more street legal or used in streets, do you have to maintain valid FC, insurance, etc?
Samurai is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th February 2016, 11:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

So, thats all for now. Next, I'll try to post detailed pics about the above said mods. Meanwhile, please do pour in your comments and questions!

Thanks!
Thats hell of transformation you have done! It seems that this Jeep likes boulders for breakfast.

I know you are too busy with your drive but request you to take out some time to put in more pictures and videos of your Jeep in action.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2016, 11:28   #7
BHPian

Firstly, Congrats on owning a RFC beast.

The amount of Money, Time spent on R&D is commendable .

Let us know each and every mod in detail in its current state.
It would be great if you can explain why you selected a particular mod over your previous mod which didnt work or didnt satisfy you.

Even i would like to make few of the Mods done to your jeep but slow and steady .

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 26th February 2016 at 12:10. Reason: Typo.
brraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2016, 13:16   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi2390 View Post
Great job mate! It does feel like a very tedious job done over a course of lot of time.
Thank you.

Quote:
How much did the whole thing cost btw?
Quite frankly I've lost track of how much I've spent over the years. Most of the money spent was wasted due to changing requirements and redoing stuff.. Back of the envelope calculations does show the sum reaching 7 figures over the years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Wow, what a transformation. It is clear you are eyeing the RFC.
Thank you.
Now that the spec is finialised. There is a final remove and reset from chassis up, before RFC for the stellar reliability needed. Also, one very important and very expensive modification needed is RCV Axles.
Quote:
Well, those were simpler days when we could drive stock Jeeps in offroad events.
hmm.. yes.. The scenario has changed quite a bit. However, today, the Thar CRDe with a couple of lacks of accesories can do lot of the stuff and can behave very well on road as well. Much more comfortable than the old Jeep. But then you can buy 5-6 old Jeeps with that kind of money.
Quote:
Since it is no more street legal or used in streets, do you have to maintain valid FC, insurance, etc?
Some events do require Valid Registration, which is weird. Anyhow, my Jeep has FC till 2018, and the papers are up to date. After FC expires, I'll see what can be done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
Firstly, Congrats on owning a RFC beast.
The amount of Money, Time spent on R&D is commandable .
Thank you!
Quote:
Let us know each and every mod in detail in its current state.

Even i would like to make few of the Mods done to your jeep but slow and steady .
Over the course of time, defintiely yes. Will let you know. Meanwhile, please do let me know if you need to know about anything specific in detail. I'll elaborate it right away.
Quote:
It would be great if you can explain why you selected a particular mod over your previous mod which didnt work or didnt satisfy you.
OK, Yes, I'll go through the mods and post. But then, most of the rework was done, because of the changing requiements. For example, when I bought the Jeep it was full open, with half door and half targa band. From there, I wanted a daily driver, hence I rebuilt the whole body to OE spec. However, after that, requirements changed and I redid it to the current state.
dhanushs is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th February 2016, 13:52   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

A common friend whom we know always used to tell me "Nissan Engine Jeep" and I always wondered how would it perform.

Glad that this thread has a lot written about it, exhibiting pictorial depiction of its might and videos to show its strength .

That is one Monster in total action Dhanush. Not an ardent offroading follower but have always loved watching the Videos more than understanding the technicalities behind it. Thanks for sharing and I wish you all the best for the next set of events that you have planned to take this one to.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th February 2016, 17:59   #10
BHPian

Re: The Jeep - MM540XD Transformed!

Dhanush, I have always wondered why you have not put up a detailed thread on this Blue Beauty; though you have been posting pics on this beast on social media. I think more detailed pics of the jeep would be fantastic something similar to "Detailed ownership, to account for all the work you do on this beast" going forward.

I will surely make a visit to see the beast in real, when I am back home next. This one is an absolute stunner ! Cheers
peterjim13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2016, 18:41   #11
BHPian

Wow Dhanushs....hats off. You & your Jeep look like made for each other. Can imagine your passion. This Nissan engine is from which vehicle & what are its torque & power figures? Also is a jeep modified to this extent insurable ?
rxpaul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2016, 20:49   #12
BHPian

Wow! Phew! that is some serious stuff! extreme off road modification. Sheer Madness (in a good way though). you are living so many people's dream. Kudos!
Rover2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2016, 23:15   #13
BHPian

Dhanushettaa,

Thanks for sharing the jump that I missed to see that day. "Adipoli". Hope to see more action from you and your ride and to join myself in sometime soon.

regards,
winsler
winsler_srider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2016, 10:16   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpaul View Post
Wow Dhanushs....hats off. You & your Jeep look like made for each other. Can imagine your passion. This Nissan engine is from which vehicle & what are its torque & power figures? Also is a jeep modified to this extent insurable ?
Thank you!. The engine is from the old Alwyn Nissan Pick Up. In its stock form, it is not turbocharged. The power specs are ~80bhp and ~170NM torque. In its stock form, its not quite the road burner, but a decent load chugger. The old Alwyn Nissan used to pull ~3-5 tons. However, once you put more air & fuel into (Turbocharge) it, the whole character of the engine changes. It becomes more refined, more revv friendly, and the performance, by seat of the pants calculator is doubled. With the latest tweak in the pump (what the newer CRDe guys say remap )I expect it to make upwards of 130bhp and close to ~300NM torque, since driving a stock Thar and this is very different.

Also, one more good thing in this old school load chugging engine is the pump behaves very much like the new gen CRDe, or even better. It just doesnt let the engine die lugging. It pumps in more fuel. Superb while offroading.

I'm very impressed by the engine, and I can go on and on about this engine. . Later on, when I'll share how I finalised on this engine, and the numerous issues faced to mount it.
dhanushs is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th February 2016, 11:33   #15
BHPian

With my limited knowledge of the equipment that went in, I must say that's one hell of a ride. Expect you can now either move mountains if your are not in a mood to go over them! Congratulations, those who have been fence sitting about buying an old jeep and pouring their hard earned money and enormous amount of time will be motivated but as of now I feel I am not upto it! It's like a voice in my ear 'Beta tumse na ho payega'
adi_sun is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks