Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2017, 10:09   #61
BHPian

Re: The Jeep - MM540XD Transformed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
The jeep is not out of the workshop man. Work is still going on. This time its too damn slow. From July, I havent driven the Jeep.

An update is that the gearbox and engine is mounted. Unlike usual ways to mount a gearbox, this time, I've done it differently. I've taken it inside the chassis so that nothing stands out, and even if the vehicle is beached, a simple push is enough to get it out.

Here's a photo to get an idea. More build details will follow.

Attachment 1624647
Its good to see that this chassis is taking all these mods without letting you down. Hope there is more mods in your list that we can see and we are waiting. Also as read from many threads, when the GB is pushed inside chassis level how the engine and other power train components are aligned, a practical and reliable solution ? Can we expect a modern suspension system as a new addition along with other features.

regards,
winsler
Old 31st March 2017, 10:24   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by winsler_srider View Post
Its good to see that this chassis is taking all these mods without letting you down.
Unlike the popular belief, this is one of the most amazing chassis design. Unless you want a stiff chassis for suspension purposes, or mount a super heavy engine, the other "box" chassis or NGCS is a waste.
Old 21st June 2017, 01:38   #63
BHPian

Dear Dhanushs,

What a great transformation! Kudos for your efforts. I would really appreciate your thoughts on :
1. Why you have remained with a spring under axle setup (advantage of doing so)
2. The increase in gross weight of your jeep after the mods?
Old 23rd June 2017, 10:23   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump-Stop View Post
Dear Dhanushs,
1. Why you have remained with a spring under axle setup (advantage of doing so)
Stability and Steering.

I have made certain changes and the lowest point under the body of my Jeep is 53 inches from the ground. Which is more than a Spring Over Axle vehicle. So, I have a high vehicle, without the complications of steering and suspension.
Quote:
2. The increase in gross weight of your jeep after the mods?
Need to weigh it now. The engine weight is an extra 40 kilos. But, im reducing it further. I expecting it to be ~1600kgs
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2017, 08:26   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Guys,

The Jeep is back on road. Lot of works pending though.. The finishing touches.

Its a different monster all together. Will post a detailed review once the work is completed.

The Jeep - MM540XD Transformed!-19942900_10155426557291963_7382556510727121443_o.jpg
dhanushs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th October 2017, 20:26   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

After more than 5 years of doing crazy stuff, finally someone has caught on camera something that's nice to watch!

dhanushs is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 15:35   #67
BHPian

Hi,

I am not sure whether I can post my query in this thread. I am finalizing purchase of a 1996 model MM540 4WD. While discussing the seller said 4 wheel drive is not functioning now. It needs some joint say like "Kutti link joint" to be installed in order to make it work.

Can any 4WD jeepers from Kerala understand this term "Kutti link joint" and help me to identify the thing and cost. If any one have a picture of it please share..

Went till finalizing the deal as the seller said its a 4WD

Last edited by Anz1979 : 11th October 2018 at 15:36. Reason: spelling correction
Old 11th October 2018, 15:44   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anz1979 View Post

Can any 4WD jeepers from Kerala understand this term "Kutti link joint" and help me to identify the thing and cost. If any one have a picture of it please share..
Even I'm not sure what it means, may be the front prop shaft. But, I would advise you to get it checked before you buy. 4WD is worth a lot of money in an old 540
Old 11th October 2018, 15:51   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Even I'm not sure what it means, may be the front prop shaft. But, I would advise you to get it checked before you buy. 4WD is worth a lot of money in an old 540

Did you mean 4WD in 540 is not reliable? Sorry I couldn't understand it.

My brother in law took a short drive on it and 4WD was not working.When enquired seller told it is disconnected and need some 'kutti link joint' to be installed in order to make it work.Rest of the case its a decent jeep.
Old 12th October 2018, 14:16   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anz1979 View Post
Did you mean 4WD in 540 is not reliable? Sorry I couldn't understand it.
No I didn’t mean it. The old 540 4WD system is supremely reliable. What I meant is, make sure you have all the parts. Since sourcing it might turn out to be an expensive affair. Take it to a mechanic and check.
Old 13th June 2019, 18:29   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

ah.. how couldnt I update one of the most important achievement in the Jeep's history...

Well, it went on to win the Biggest Offroading 'Club' Trophy ever in the country. The Mahindra Club Challenge 2019.

Here's the video of the same:

The jeep has changed a LOOTTT after the last update. It no longer deserves a post, but in fact a dedicated thread. Will try to put up one as soon as possible!
dhanushs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th June 2019, 12:25   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The jeep has changed a LOOTTT after the last update. It no longer deserves a post, but in fact a dedicated thread. Will try to put up one as soon as possible!
I would very much like to see what you come up with. I would like to know what problems you face and how you solve them. Moving things higher and/or lifting things on the vehicle creates stability concerns (toppling and steering concerns). I am particularly interested in how you tackle these.

The guy mainly featured in this clip extended his axles somehow. He serenely walks over slush and rocks with partially inflated 44" tyres that flex to allow them to conform to the obstacles thus giving him a lot of traction. The driver has a nice light touch on the throttle and the big V-8 just loafs along with power to spare.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 17th June 2019 at 12:31.
DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 18:13   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I would very much like to see what you come up with. I would like to know what problems you face and how you solve them. Moving things higher and/or lifting things on the vehicle creates stability concerns (toppling and steering concerns). I am particularly interested in how you tackle these.
Sorry for the delay DD.

Well, I have 38" tyres now, and believe it or not, I DONT have a suspension lift. Most of the current coil sprung off-road rigs with crazy articulation are 'pathetic' to drive on road at moderate speeds. Well, my Jeep is not driven on road, but, I couldnt compromise on the steering feedback and suspension.

I have tried my best to keep the suspension and steering geometry as close to stock as possible and to accommodate bigger tyres I've chopped off the body, lifted the body ~4". So, I don't really have a problem with the lift.

Higher CG is one of the problems of height. But, since my lift is only the body, most of the weight (engine, chassis, drivetrain) are not lifted, except for the tyre height may be. But, then, yes, you need to take care with the additional height.

Last edited by dhanushs : 28th June 2019 at 18:16.
Old 7th July 2019, 19:13   #74
Senior - BHPian

I see you plonked in a Nissan BD30 engine. It gets good reviews, I noticed.

3.0L, about 100bhp.

A question for you. What is the biggest (most powerful) engine you could put into a MM550-MM540 in India?

I mean, without having to do way major exotic surgery, without having to break the bank, without having to diminsih reliability? BD30 is pretty good. Is there yet another upgrade possible and pragmatically speaking beyond the BD30?
Old 7th July 2019, 20:59   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Not sure if it's the same vehicle, but I happened to see a certain White monster Jeep similar to the one in the video above being serviced in Mahindra service center, they had to change out a vacuum modulator ( some engines consider this part to be a consumable!!). So I peered inside and found an Mhawk sitting in the engine bay. The guy who was troubleshooting it was also the guy who fitted the engine in. I made a mental note, if one day our highways become super fast I'm going for this swap!

I have a question, Is the radiator guard of MM540 interchangeable with Thar? I like the ring around the headlight stamped on the radiator guard.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks