Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2017, 14:51   #31
BHPian

re: Fourknotfour | My Black Mahindra Thar CRDe (refreshed edition) | EDIT: Now sold

Update (Apologies for back to back post)

The coolant consumption increased to a tremendous level and i have been probably filling more of that then diesel. Hence took to MASS today and while waiting for my turn coolant drip was noticed on the tiled floor from the left hand side just below the radiator edge. Vehicle was lifted up and then examined from below. The mechanic told its a radiator damage. Recommended change. Unfortunately no spares available in Gangtok hence deferred. By the way i had changed the heater hose clamps to Maruti but to no benefit.
Query:
Radiator leak needs repair or replacement?
Dr_MNC_SK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2017, 10:14   #32
Senior - BHPian

re: Fourknotfour | My Black Mahindra Thar CRDe (refreshed edition) | EDIT: Now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_MNC_SK View Post
Update (Apologies for back to back post)

Query:
Radiator leak needs repair or replacement?
If the radiator body is made of copper and the leak is in the top or bottom tub, then soldering the hole will do. In case it is steel body and tubes then replacement is better.

In case the tubes are leaking, then sealing the relevant tube does the trick.

One plus point of replacement is that you can now fit a bigger radiator to increase the cooling. This will help a lot in stop and go traffic in height of summer, as well as on steep climbs in the hills.

Last edited by Aroy : 20th May 2017 at 10:16.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2017, 13:04   #33
BHPian

Quote:
The mechanic told its a radiator damage.
Please double-check that it is not one of the hoses. My vehicle too was instantaneously diagnosed as having radiator leak until I had to show them that the coolant was dripping from the end of the hose, on to the radiator body and flowing down. There was a leak from the thermostat too. Check for dried coolant residue near the thermostat and the outlet/inlet/heater hoses too, even if the radiator is faulty. After repairs, do ensure that coolant has been refilled without any airlock.

Last edited by crdi : 20th May 2017 at 13:12. Reason: Adding a few words more
crdi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2017, 16:52   #34
Senior - BHPian

Simply ask for Maruti new model Zen Estilo coolant tube clamp.

The job is a simple replacement which you can do it or get it done at any Mahindra service workshop.

The location is inside the engine bay on the right side of the firewall.

Ask as many questions you are welcome, we always help with what we can.
desertfox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2017, 21:02   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Simply ask for Maruti new model Zen Estilo coolant tube clamp.

The job is a simple replacement which you can do it or get it done at any Mahindra service workshop.

The location is inside the engine bay on the right side of the firewall.

Ask as many questions you are welcome, we always help with what we can.
I managed to change these two clamps and i guess these aren't the ones you are talking about.
Moreover now there is a visible leak drip just below the radiator at the reservoir tank side but immediately below the radiator edge. The ASC promptly said its a radiator leak which i doubt. I have been diligently filling up the lost coolant on an everyday basis and my daily run is less than 20 kms. But today onwards i have been getting a shriller than everytime turbo whine when i go to the turbo band. Could all these be related? The turbo whine is like something not normally present.
Attached Thumbnails
Fourknotfour | My Black Mahindra Thar CRDe (refreshed edition) | EDIT: Now sold-img_20170513_115234.jpg  

Old 23rd June 2017, 12:07   #36
Senior - BHPian

Make sure the reservoir tank is tightly capped. Most leaks happen here. Also keep to the max fluid level, do not overfill.
All said and done i do notice that my Thars and those of some other friends here in North India do drink up Coolant a lot more in the summer months than any other model of SUV.
desertfox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2017, 20:55   #37
BHPian

Finally managed to find the coolant leak issue. The radiator side casing made up PVC was cracked almost invisible for almost 15 cms. It was the place it was leaking. Could locate it only after removing the radiator, sealing all hose connection and pouring a little bit of water and heating with a blow torch and seeing the steam escape. Wat a relief, i probably was about to rip my hair off if i wouldn't have found the leak. Had done everything else otherwise. Got a replacement radiator and changed it for peace of mind. How i wish we still had those copper radiators which could be brazed.
Also managed to procure the turbohosepipe which had conked a good 2 months ago and was stitched aralited and tied till date. Mahindra finally managed to send one till Siliguri Sona Motors after raising the issue till head office but due to ongoing Gorkhaland unrest in the region was unable to go for fitment. Luckily out of the blue, a small parts shop here had it with him all this while.
Feels fresh now and keeping fingers crossed for the coolant levels. :-)
Old 9th July 2017, 12:51   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally managed to find the coolant leak issue. The radiator side casing made up PVC was cracked almost invisible for almost 15 cms. It was the place it was leaking. Could locate it only after removing the radiator, sealing all hose connection and pouring a little bit of water and heating with a blow torch and seeing the steam escape. Wat a relief, i probably was about to rip my hair off if i wouldn't have found the leak. Had done everything else otherwise. Got a replacement radiator and changed it for peace of mind. How i wish we still had those copper radiators which could be brazed. .......
How come the radiator had a plastic side? Could you post a picture of the PVC side.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2017, 21:22   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
How come the radiator had a plastic side? Could you post a picture of the PVC side.
Check the upper and lower part of this picture. This is my old radiator, the chap is heating with a blow torch. The black part on either side with hose attachment and radiator cap is PVC. The middle is aluminium. Checked the coolant level today. The reservior is okai but the radiator is still a inch short of level. Don't know if it is because i had started the vehicle for say 5 minutes. Have run around 20 kms since the radiator job. Fingers crossed it aint leaking elsewhere else I am doomed.
Attached Thumbnails
Fourknotfour | My Black Mahindra Thar CRDe (refreshed edition) | EDIT: Now sold-img_20170709_132241.jpg  

Old 9th July 2017, 23:53   #40
Senior - BHPian

It's probably something as simple as a hose leak or a reservoir bottle leak. But, the worst case scenario is a head gasket leak. The head gasket is the seam between the upper side of the engine containing the valves and the lower side side containing the cylinders and crankshaft.
If the head gasket is leaking you will lose coolant and/or motor oil there. Coolant will also leak into the motor oil and eventually wreck your engine and/or blow coolant out your exhaust. You may want to have your mechanic check for coolant in your motor oil and leaks around your head gasket. You may want to check your exhaust pipe for coolant and do a sniff test for the sweet smell of coolant coming out the exhaust...or around the motor somewhere.

But the odds are good that your loss of coolant is a leak somewhere other than the head gasket. Where the big coolant hoses attach with clamps to the metal engine or the radiator are the usual suspects. And they may not be immediately obvious.

Another traditional trouble spot is the water pump. Water pumps wear out or become defective rather frequently. There is usually an inspection point in the water pump called the "weep hole". If the water pump is losing its seal, a little water will show in this hole. So, you might have your mech inspect the water pump, if he can see it.

I am keeping an eye on my coolant level also. Losing a bit, keeping an eye on it.
DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 15:27   #41
BHPian

4th Servicing (Paid) and Fuel Meter Recall Finally.

So at 28000 kms I land up for my 4th Scheduled Service and they inform me that the fuel meter has a recall. I already have changed it twice in warranty so I expressed my displeasure but they informed me that it is a new assembly which should work.
Hence I agreed. Routine servicing done and fuel float changed after removing the tank. Also since I frequently visit sub zero temperature decided to remove the fuel strainer and stick to cleaner fuel.
Also saw the LSPV when the tank was removed for float change and cleaning etc.
Just got my Thar moments back and the fuel meter is showing a reading. Lets see how long this works.
Attached Thumbnails
Fourknotfour | My Black Mahindra Thar CRDe (refreshed edition) | EDIT: Now sold-img_20170725_12433601.jpeg  

Fourknotfour | My Black Mahindra Thar CRDe (refreshed edition) | EDIT: Now sold-img_20170725_114422_hdr01.jpeg  

Fourknotfour | My Black Mahindra Thar CRDe (refreshed edition) | EDIT: Now sold-img_20170725_114503_hdr01.jpeg  

Fourknotfour | My Black Mahindra Thar CRDe (refreshed edition) | EDIT: Now sold-img_20170725_12440601.jpeg  

Fourknotfour | My Black Mahindra Thar CRDe (refreshed edition) | EDIT: Now sold-img_20170725_12352001.jpeg  

Dr_MNC_SK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 07:37   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Hence I agreed. Routine servicing done and fuel float changed after removing the tank. Also since I frequently visit sub zero temperature decided to remove the fuel strainer
The float was changed voluntarily for my thar too. Hope the fuel guage behaves! Where is the fuel strainer placed?

Quote:
The reservior is okai but the radiator is still a inch short of level.
I doubt whether the reservoir will function properly if the coolant is not filled up to the brim in the radiator. Try opening the radiator cap when engine is cold, start the engine, get it to warm up and once the coolant is in circulation with the thermostat valve being open, top up the radiator to the brim.
Old 26th July 2017, 08:07   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdi View Post
Where is the fuel strainer placed?

... and once the coolant is in circulation with the thermostat valve being open, top up the radiator to the brim.
The float being a new design hope it works. The old one was useless for more than a week after change. The strainer is inside the tank at the outlet pipe at the bottom of the tank.

The coolant levels are finally maintaining. Fingers crossed though.
Old 30th October 2017, 22:53   #44
BHPian

30,000 Kms 2 Years Update.

Uneventful Service. Did routine servicing and did a premature Engine Oil Change too. The manual recommended a change at 40K but I thought its wiser to do it at 30K itself.
Also had to change the front and rear suspension bushings and Tie rod ends. There was considerable play in one of them. Also the last offroading stint with my newly formed group let mud in places where it should not have and conked the intermediate steering shaft distal crossbearing. Had to change that. Steering was becoming like non power assisted and unpredictable. The alignment was also set and it finally started to handle well. Got a portable Randy II CB Radio from President as a birthday gift to the vehicle.
The coolant issue has finally sorted out so has the fuel meter.
Attached Thumbnails
Fourknotfour | My Black Mahindra Thar CRDe (refreshed edition) | EDIT: Now sold-img20171029wa0011.jpeg  

Dr_MNC_SK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2017, 08:34   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
4th Servicing (Paid) and Fuel Meter Recall Finally
OT: i'd really like to know what font is that in the second last pic?
manveet is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks