Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2018, 20:29   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Last weekend went on a small offroad drive
Dude! I mean... seriously!? You are trying to make a Jeep out of the poor Paj What with the massive weight and long wheelbase, it is half as likely to cross a tough obstacle as a Jeep/Gypsy, not to mention the damages - I am sure you know the cost of MM spares by now

Last edited by cool_dube : 14th June 2018 at 20:33.
Old 14th June 2018, 21:26   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Dude! I mean... seriously!? You are trying to make a Jeep out of the poor Paj What with the massive weight and long wheelbase, it is half as likely to cross a tough obstacle as a Jeep/Gypsy, not to mention the damages - I am sure you know the cost of MM spares by now
No! You misunderstood - read carefully. I said SUVs are a different ball game from jeeps.

You have to be very careful while taking your line unlike jeeps which can take a fair bit of bashing and don't burn a big hole in the pocket when something breaks as compared to the SUVs.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2018, 19:06   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Next up was bumper installation
Tejas - are the fogs installed on your new bumper OE ones? If not, could you please suggest a good alternative to OE ones, which can fit into the regular bumper? One of mine has developed a crack and the OE part costs a bomb!
Old 18th June 2018, 14:59   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Tejas - are the fogs installed on your new bumper OE ones? If not, could you please suggest a good alternative to OE ones, which can fit into the regular bumper? One of mine has developed a crack and the OE part costs a bomb!
Nope. Not OE ones. Though they are quiet bad; not that i liked the OE ones on the original bumper either. The search continues.
Old 18th June 2018, 17:26   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

Had a Father's Day picnic with my 2 year old son!

An isolated spot just 50 meters off the road but offbeat and something only accessible by four wheel drive vehicles. Had a great time!

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-img_6963.jpg
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 18th June 2018, 21:19   #186
BHPian

I love what you have done to your SUV and every bit serves a purpose.

How easy it for you to source genuine spares for the vehicle, I recall reading intially about the clutch issue.
Old 18th June 2018, 21:24   #187
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Had a Father's Day picnic with my 2 year old son!

An isolated spot just 50 meters off the road but offbeat and something only accessible by four wheel drive vehicles. Had a great time!

Attachment 1772694
Lovely pic Tejas!

Some questions if you don't mind - how do you find such places? Do you do a reccee before going to such places? Is there any kind of permission required from authorities before taking a vehicle to such places - even if they are not privately owned?
Old 18th June 2018, 23:29   #188
BANNED

Quote:
Nope. Not OE ones. Though they are quiet bad; not that i liked the OE ones on the original bumper either. The search continues.
If you are still in search for the fog lamps, I would like to recommend the Hella 60MM Modules. I have not used them personally but have found good reviews on the internet. I hope it will help you.
Thanks
TDCIfever is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2018, 13:24   #189
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Lovely pic Tejas!

Some questions if you don't mind - how do you find such places? Do you do a reccee before going to such places? Is there any kind of permission required from authorities before taking a vehicle to such places - even if they are not privately owned?
In India there is no concept of public land that anyone can go with their vehicles.

Either there are tourist spots maintained by the local corporations or tourism bodies, then there is village land and then lastly forest land. Ofcourse private land is a different ball game altogether.

Over the years, we have offroaded without issues on village land and we used to always pay the village by way of ordering lunch from the local households during offroad trips - eg. Rajmacchi in Lonavala.

However, as the 4x4 sport has boomed and the new breed has become irresponsible by driving through farm land, littering, having booze and loud music and being a nuisance, the villagers do not entertain offroading on their land at all.

So nowadays we only go to private land. We once many years ago had an issue where we had crossed a 100 meters of forest road to go onto a private property but thats a closed chapter now.

So this current pic you are talking about is part of Rajmachi and i went there because of my previous good relation to the villagers and they are usually a nice bunch of folks and don't have issues when you come for a picnic with family.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th June 2018, 13:59   #190
BHPian

Quote:
So this current pic you are talking about is part of Rajmachi and i went there because of my previous good relation to the villagers and they are usually a nice bunch of folks and don't have issues when you come for a picnic with family.
I think I recognize the spot

Your thread is a great spot to scout for ideas and possibilities

Here comes one, could you please share which Drone are you using, I have always stopped short of ordering them, as I am not very clear about the legalities involved. Would be wonderful if you could share those and your user experience.
This I believe is what gives the edge when you are looking back at the experiences over the years and having a birds eye view of 'where we were'

Thanks a lot!
Old 19th June 2018, 14:19   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
I think I recognize the spot

Your thread is a great spot to scout for ideas and possibilities

Here comes one, could you please share which Drone are you using, I have always stopped short of ordering them, as I am not very clear about the legalities involved. Would be wonderful if you could share those and your user experience.
This I believe is what gives the edge when you are looking back at the experiences over the years and having a birds eye view of 'where we were'

Thanks a lot!
Legalities are complex. You need to take permission from the local police station.

Send me rest of your queries my PM, let's not dilute this thread.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 12:39   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
I love what you have done to your SUV and every bit serves a purpose.

How easy it for you to source genuine spares for the vehicle, I recall reading intially about the clutch issue.
Hi, sorry missed replying your post earlier.

It is a little difficult if you want a part that is not on a routine consumable list. But parts are available and need to be shipped from Chennai. The service centre does that for you.

Therefore, at every service, if we realise that some part is coming to the end of it's lifecycle, i tell the service centre to order it and keep it for so that by the next service the part is in stock for me. And then even if the original part on the vehicle hasn't failed, i would replace it. Peace of mind is more important than trying to juice out a few hundred clicks and then getting stranded, or worse breaking something else in the process.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2018, 10:45   #193
Senior - BHPian

Hi Tejas.
This thread is an inspiration from you. The way you have modified the Pajero from time to time and systematically is just awesome.
Read your thread right from the start, page by page and thoroughly enjoyed it. As mentioned by many members, this thread makes one invest in the old Pajero. The Pajero has always been my dream vehicle including the mini Pajero but never owned it for fear of obvious reasons and lack of parking.
Hope to buy a pre-owned Pajero and modify it like yours.
It was also a pleasure to meet you this Thursday.
Hope to read more from you.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 16:31   #194
Distinguished - BHPian

Been a while since I updated this thread.

There haven't been any more upgrades yet to the vehicle except routine services.

I've procured the rock sliders, however, haven't had time to get them fitted to the vehicle.

Some pics from an OTR called Overland Monsoon Bootcamp during the monsoons:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-b.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-c.jpg

Below are pics from one crazy turn during this event! Slippery mud like on other. Car just slide into the turn. Recovery was a pain since the recovery car wasn't getting traction either and I was close to a tree and any pivot movement would bang the roof rack against the branch. We had a jeep with Mudzilla's who finally got around to my position and helped pull me out safety! This was one awesome event!

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-20180815_145632.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-20180815_145655.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-20180815_145824.jpg
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th December 2018, 15:37   #195
Distinguished - BHPian

Finalised the layout of the proposed storage system in the boot.

The entire thing will be made of PVC ply. Dual advantage: no worry about water and no need to finish with laminates/polishing or apply moulding to edges.

The outer box would be from 18mm PVC ply and the drawers from 12mm.

Here's the layout:

Name:  layout.png
Views: 3157
Size:  58.3 KB

Superimposed:

Name:  superimposed.png
Views: 3241
Size:  434.5 KB

Dimensions of the boot space:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-dimensions.jpg

I plan to make a mesh grill on the inside windows from the inside where I can attach stuff using Velcro.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks