Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2018, 17:17   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion

Last weekend we went camping with a few friends to an offbeat location around 100kms from mumbai.

The vehicles:
My pajero, a vcross and jeep compass from pune and another pajero from mumbai.

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-line-up-enter.jpg

Vehicles parked:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-line-up-park.jpg

Setting up:

The awing lights are a temporary measure. Need to find a proper way to fix the lights. In my old awning, i had stuck the light on the aluminium bracket. However since this swivels, i thought i would stick the lights on the swing poles. BUT! The fabric of the awning is stuck to the inner side of the poles and the light will not stick to this. Thus, back to the drawing board.

I really also need to get time to make a dedicated rear storage solution. Packing in is fine but when breaking camp, stuff tends to be dumped into the back.

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-boot-lights.jpg

The owner of the Vcross, is a die hard BBQ guy and came prepared with his weber and all sorts of food marinated a day before.

Here's the grill:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-shail-weber.jpg

The stuff he cooked up is to die for. Here's me with a bunch of burgers:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-burgers-tk.jpg

The awesome venue:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-04-venue.jpg

The campsite:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-03-setup.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-img_5146.jpg

The campsite at sunrise

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-sunrise-campsite.jpg

You see the bonnet of my vehicle open because we hooked up my 1000W inverter to the battery to connect an electric kettle for tea/coffee in the morning

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-02-tea.jpg

The Wheelie Bin i bought recently from bangalore was put to first use. An awesome product and highly recommended. All the waste is secure and outside you car till you reach a garbage can in civilisation to dump it all.

Our motto is leave with more than you came in with.

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-wheelie-bag.jpg

That's why the Tread Lightly sticker is proudly displayed on my vehicle:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-stickers.jpg

Breaking camp in the morning:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-01-breaking-camp.jpg

Exiting the trail:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-trail.jpg

Random pics:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-paj-awning-1.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-paj-awning.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-paj-tents.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-paj-vcross.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-paj-vross-1.jpg

Pics Courtesy: Some clicked by me, some by the Oliveiras - the couple in the Isuzu and some by my the friends in the other Pajero.

Last edited by moralfibre : 10th January 2018 at 10:38. Reason: Small typo.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 19:22   #152
BHPian

Nice pictures, burger's look amazing.
Your using your car and modifications for the right things. Many people make modifications and add stuff to their cars, but rarely use them.
This is an astonishing spot, could you share details where this is located ?
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2018, 05:00   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
Nice pictures, burger's look amazing.
Your using your car and modifications for the right things. Many people make modifications and add stuff to their cars, but rarely use them.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
This is an astonishing spot, could you share details where this is located ?
It's a private property near Imagica, off the mumbai pune expressway.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2018, 10:11   #154
Team-BHP Support

Did you guys try out the Compass for off-roading? The approach angle appears horrible [from pics]
Old 10th January 2018, 11:04   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Did you guys try out the Compass for off-roading? The approach angle appears horrible [from pics]
The owner wasn't an off-roader nor was he keen to check the capabilities and stuck to the trail. We respected his wishes and didn't push him.

In fact the few thorny bushes that scrapped the side of the car gave him nightmares and next day he was off to 3M for a detail job
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 10:13   #156
BHPian

Looks like you all had a great time, real sorry to have missed out. You've reminded me, I need to update my thread with a trip update and post a review as well. Please do keep us in mind next time, perhaps a lake or riverside camp. We'll bring the Excursion 5 along
Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-6181a47849714a3fb8f7abf6ef80e46e.jpg

Loving the pic of the Weber grill, can empathize with the owner of that fine product. We make use of our jugaad chulha which is good for short trips and basic cooking in small groups (we used it for sausages and Maggi in our recent lakeside trip). Coal should be counted as a spice IMHO!
Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-f077d1f0e4de443497388fa0832d5a88.jpg

On a side note, we're tripping (pun intended) on the utility of the V-Cross' truck bed. Very handy when carrying bulky stuff, kids and adults too can grab a quick ride. This car is ideal for outdoorsy types.
Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-2e31111d3f7e43b6af32930c2ddfb3d7.jpg

On this trip, we packed everything in and closed the Carryboy lid, but on the return were just too lazy and left it open. Quite refreshing, after so many years of trying to beat the laws of physics, when stuffing the boot of a car beyond capacity. As responsible campers, we too leave a site better than when we arrived. That irritating green PET bottle from some earlier visitor, returned with us. Followed our own tracks back with minimal diversion from an existing path.

Great pics, great trip and cheers to many more!
VivOverland is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 15:38   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivOverland View Post
Looks like you all had a great time, real sorry to have missed out. You've reminded me, I need to update my thread with a trip update and post a review as well. Please do keep us in mind next time, perhaps a lake or riverside camp. We'll bring the Excursion 5 along
Attachment 1715150
We missed you on this trip.

Great stuff! We are planing a trip by the end of the month and close to a lake and will make use of that rubber dinghy!
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 13:44   #158
BHPian

Ive been following on your thread for a long time Tejas and Ive got several of your pictures as my phone wallpapers over the months. Brilliant stuff!

My dad used to own a Pajero that we had bought brand new in 2010. Over the past 8 years it has done roughly 1.5Lac KMs. The brute now belongs to an associate of dads who isnt much of an enthusiast. Ive been eyeing the car for a very long time and honestly it is one of my favorite vehicles of all time. Its the same color as yours too!

Reason im writing this is because I was wondering if the car will be worth flogging after all these KMs? I do not intend to go to OTR events or keep up with tiny 4x4s on muddy trails but I do dream of going on Overland excursions and traveling in the mountains. Will the engine still have juice for another 100k kms? What about reliability of other components? If the car is still worth the hassle, I'll definitely try and convince the current owner to gift it back to me, since the car had been gifted to him anyway by my dad and he has used it plenty now
Old 23rd January 2018, 21:00   #159
Senior - BHPian

I came across your thread while looking for clutch information for my Pajero. I guess there are only a handful of Pajero owners here and I am sure you are as proud as me on owning this beauty.

Well I am considering a clutch change for my vehicle and wanted to know which actual clutch did you finally get. It will be great if you can share the brand and part number of the clutch you bought. Also please let me know from where I can get the same. I am in Bangalore presently. Thanks a lot. Cheers.

Last edited by Traveler : 23rd January 2018 at 21:03.
Old 23rd January 2018, 21:23   #160
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Great stuff! We are planing a trip by the end of the month and close to a lake and will make use of that rubber dinghy!
Tejas!! What happened? Mellowed down huh?

What happened to hardcore off-roading? Where's the Classic?
Old 27th January 2018, 21:31   #161

Hi Tejas,
Can you please inform me about the length and breadth of the rhino rack you installed on your vehicle.
Old 29th January 2018, 17:27   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin1224 View Post
Reason im writing this is because I was wondering if the car will be worth flogging after all these KMs? I do not intend to go to OTR events or keep up with tiny 4x4s on muddy trails but I do dream of going on Overland excursions and traveling in the mountains. Will the engine still have juice for another 100k kms? What about reliability of other components? If the car is still worth the hassle, I'll definitely try and convince the current owner to gift it back to me, since the car had been gifted to him anyway by my dad and he has used it plenty now
Ashwin,

If the vehicle has been regularly serviced 1.5L kms is nothing to the 4M40 engine! These engines last for 600-700K kms and more quite easily. I'd say go for it!
Old 30th January 2018, 15:40   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
I came across your thread while looking for clutch information for my Pajero. I guess there are only a handful of Pajero owners here and I am sure you are as proud as me on owning this beauty.

Well I am considering a clutch change for my vehicle and wanted to know which actual clutch did you finally get. It will be great if you can share the brand and part number of the clutch you bought. Also please let me know from where I can get the same. I am in Bangalore presently. Thanks a lot. Cheers.
Hi, i got it from the ASC directly and installed by them too.

I got your pm. The exedy clutch is cheaper. Just check if its a petrol or diesel vehicle clutch. Most dealers will sell the petrol one which will cause the fingers to rattle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin1224 View Post
Ive been following on your thread for a long time Tejas and Ive got several of your pictures as my phone wallpapers over the months. Brilliant stuff!

My dad used to own a Pajero that we had bought brand new in 2010. Over the past 8 years it has done roughly 1.5Lac KMs. The brute now belongs to an associate of dads who isnt much of an enthusiast. Ive been eyeing the car for a very long time and honestly it is one of my favorite vehicles of all time. Its the same color as yours too!

My friend amol's GLX has done 2.5 lakh kms and is still as old as showroom condition. He maintains it impeccably. Go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Tejas!! What happened? Mellowed down huh?

What happened to hardcore off-roading? Where's the Classic?
LOL!

Classic sold. I still have the blue jeep for harder stuff.

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-img_9991.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road4X4Traveler View Post
Hi Tejas,
Can you please inform me about the length and breadth of the rhino rack you installed on your vehicle.
1928x1236mm
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 11:58   #164
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
LOL!
Phew!! For a moment I thought we lost you.

That jeep looks fabulous. Will look around the forum for details.

Keep going down the road less traveled.

Cheers.
Spitfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 16:18   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Phew!! For a moment I thought we lost you.

You remember that guy who had told me on my classic thread that i have a nice classic and i should try to offroad it sometime? And then how everyone trolled him!

Quote:

That jeep looks fabulous. Will look around the forum for details.
You won't find it on the forum.

Here are a few pics from various OTRs over the years:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-bcka8649.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-img_2405.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-img_2430.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-img_2433.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-img_3646.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-img_4297.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-img_6338.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-img_6365.jpg
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed