Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2020, 00:20   #301
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion

The Pajero achieved a milestone odometer mileage today. Randomly saw it when I switched off the vehicle - 123000.

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-img_6592.jpg

Last week I got a major front suspension job done:

Both sides upper and lower ball joints and tie rod ends replaced and alignment, balancing and rotation done.

Idler Arm and pitman arm replaced.

Diff bushings replaced

Free wheeling hubs greased and seals replaced

Power Steering hose replaced.

Oil and Fuel filters replaced.

All fluids (Including Diff, GB, TC, Engine Oil) replaced. I always replace Dif oils after monsoon due to inadvertent water wading in Mumbai.

Full service done. She rides much better now.

However, with the service centre shut down in Mumbai, faced a lot of issues sourcing parts. Couldn't get hold of OE Mitsubishi parts and was vary of grey market stuff.

Finally after lot of looking around I was recommended to a Mr. Yash Singh from JMD Parts in Delhi who sources better Japanese parts from a company called Three Five (555). Hopefully its jap!
The mech says it looks better than the grey market stuff he has seen and only time will tell.

The dealer though is good person and shipped to mumbai from delhi in 2 days. Parts were half cost from what dealership had given estimate just pre lockdown before they shutdown altogether.

His contact details should anyone need: 8447379432.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 15:05   #302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
However, with the service centre shut down in Mumbai, faced a lot of issues sourcing parts. Couldn't get hold of OE Mitsubishi parts and was vary of grey market stuff.
Oh! So, no authorized Mitsubishi service centers in Mumbai anymore? Sad to hear that. Although we do have one in Bangalore, I'd prefer a good FNG any day for reasons well known to Mitsubishi owners in Bangalore

Quote:
...better Japanese parts from a company called Three Five (555). Hopefully its jap!
555 is a well-known Japanese firm that supplies suspension parts to many reputed manufacturers. Another good one is 333 from Thailand. Don't ask me what's with the triple-digit pattern BTW, I got a complete suspension overhaul (quite similar to what you have got done) for my Pajero couple of years back and sourced all parts from a known/reliable supplier in Delhi. All of these were either 555 or 333. They've held up quite well so far, having gone through unforgiving terrain in the valleys of Spiti and Lahaul last year!

Wishing you many more safe miles on your Pajero!

Last edited by cool_dube : 20th October 2020 at 15:21.
cool_dube is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 11:03   #303
BHPian

Quote:
https://Youtu.be/6w77OjEuo5Q

This happened a few months ago while doing a recce of a land to make some new tracks.
Just read this and I am glad everyone is ok. Damage looks minimal and I am glad you carried on. In the video it looks as if it happened very fast but I am sure, for you it was all in slow motion.

Just a question while recovering the Pajero what was the strategy and what precautions did you take to prevent another rollover in the direction it is being recovered? Info might help people who off-road regularly.
tazmaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 17:23   #304
Distinguished - BHPian

Happy dussera. Just realized I have never posted a pic with any flowers.
Honestly I don’t like to put a Garland and definitely not the red swastika that the ladies like.
So compromise is the Garland.

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-32f0d7ed88a54c0eb1b63bfa6e747abb.jpeg
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 11:38   #305
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
Just read this and I am glad everyone is ok. Damage looks minimal and I am glad you carried on. In the video it looks as if it happened very fast but I am sure, for you it was all in slow motion.

Just a question while recovering the Pajero what was the strategy and what precautions did you take to prevent another rollover in the direction it is being recovered? Info might help people who off-road regularly.
So unfortunately I have no recovery picks but I can describe:

1. Secured the vehicle to the front using the winch cable to a tree with a tree saver strap. Simply free spooled the cable and locked the free spool.

2. Attached a long tow strap to the chassis and then from under the vehicle to the top and to the recovery vehicle positioned at 90°.

This way, the vehicle will not drag put will be pivoted as shown in the diagram below.

Name:  Screenshot 20201026 at 11.36.53 AM.png
Views: 4191
Size:  631.1 KB

Recovery vehicle slowly pulled and straightened the pajero. Had put car in gear and handbrake up before exiting as double precaution in preparation to recovery.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 26th October 2020 at 11:39.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 11:58   #306
Distinguished - BHPian

Over the past few weekends, did some more DIY.

Needed another set of drawers over the existing one.

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-01-box-car-drawer.jpg

Till date, I used to keep a big plastic crate and store wet recovery gear but it was a pain to access it all plus to access the folding table, everything had to be removed.

So the plan was to add another drawer system on top of the existing one but in such a way that it could be independently removed in case I wanted to travel with big bags.

So fabricated first a frame of Aluminium using "L" shaped sections. These sections would slot over the existing box and prevent movement in the four horizontal directions.

A mounted angle cutter makes life easy:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-02-angle-grinder.jpg

Once that is done, it's a simple job to create the box on top. Because this time I didn't have a vertical "pillar" I used a thicker section of wood instead of the Pvc ply which does tend to bend under load.

Once the box was ready, I cut a piece of rubber sheet:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-02arubber-cut.jpg

Stick with rubber adhesive and then a L section frame on top to secure and prevent edges from chipping.

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-02bspeb.jpg

Then fabricated the drawer and stuck the carbon fibre wrap to match the other drawer.

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-03-carbon-fibre-wrap.jpg

I had bought this from amazon a while ago.

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A pouch for tools but it didn't serve my purpose.

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-519e7qu5atl.jpg

So I cut the pouches up

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-04cut-pouch.jpg

And sewed them as individual units at home

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-05-sewing-pouch.jpg

The quality of these is superb and I screwed them to the outside of the drawer for quick access of anything I need to put (haven't decided yet what)

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-06pouches-screwed.jpg

Next is to test the fit. The depth of this drawer is 4" less than the below one to accommodate the angulation of the rear seats.

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-07box-put-car.jpg

Secured with heavy duty straps and drawer goes in

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-08box-car-drawer1.jpg

Used smaller plastic carton inside and there is a L section frame inside to prevent them moving around

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-09drawer-open-closer.jpg

These would hold wet and dirty recovery gear and I can easily remove each box and take them for cleaning

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-10drawer-open.jpg

Still need to finish up the insides and edges of the drawer.

Have purposely left some space between the two (around 2.5 inches) so I can slide in a folding table, folding stools, and a white board that I carry during courses.

Used a regular drawer lock currently and I'm waiting for proper latches to a drive from abroad. Once they do will modify to how the lower drawer latches are.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 26th October 2020 at 12:04. Reason: corrected typos
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 13:20   #307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Used smaller plastic carton inside and there is a L section frame inside to prevent them moving around ...
Use a lining of velcro between the draw and the carton. Will stay in position and easy to take it out, when required.
HappyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 15:04   #308
BHPian

Hi Tejas.

Have been keenly following the thread since the beginning. Fabulous DIYs you do.

The Chandivali dealer apparently is shifting to Saki Vihar road, next to Volvo workshop where I work. The work is going on and they are planning to start by Diwali time. I spoke to a few people there and they claim to be the same staff from the Chandivali outlet.

BR Sagar.
sagar iswalkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 10:37   #309
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Some lockdown DIY on the Pajero:

Tool box holder.
Remember this DIY. Due to height increase, had to modify it. Also I had to change the type of holding mechanism. There was concern that the bungee cord wouldn't hold, though it did it's job during the roll over.

So I made it a bit small and now the three sides were secure due to the side wall of Pajero, the box and the seat back rest.

This time used a Wraptie to secure it properly.

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-too.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagar iswalkar View Post
Hi Tejas.

Have been keenly following the thread since the beginning. Fabulous DIYs you do.

The Chandivali dealer apparently is shifting to Saki Vihar road, next to Volvo workshop where I work. The work is going on and they are planning to start by Diwali time. I spoke to a few people there and they claim to be the same staff from the Chandivali outlet.

BR Sagar.
Thanks. So that happened is that they shifted to the Saki Vihar one and then they saw that the guys there were not ethical (verbatim) and they moved back to another company that had taken over the workshop at same location. Please do not go to the saki Vihar place - 3 separate people have warned me. Go to Chandivali place only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Use a lining of velcro between the draw and the carton. Will stay in position and easy to take it out, when required.
Have this to keep them in place. Can't use velcro because bottom of plastic crate is ribbed for strength.

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-l.jpg

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 27th October 2020 at 10:39.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 13:49   #310
Distinguished - BHPian

Remember I had hastily made a camp shower earlier?

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-v...ml#post4740808 (Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion)

Now was time to make a better pressured option.

What do you need?

Ofcourse a Pipe to hold the water. I used 4" x 5 feet and by volumetric calculations, that's approx 15litres (a bucket).

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-01-pipe.jpg

Then you need something called as a SWR cleaning pipe. This helps you fill the water from the top:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-02-svr-cleaning-section.png

End caps to seal the ends and attach fittings. Now it's important that your holes match correctly.

I wasted a couple of end caps getting it right. To make the bigger diameter hole, I used a stepped drill and it's difficult to control in such a soft material.

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-03-end-caps.jpg

I bought a gauge to determine the pressure while filling. A stop cock with quick disconnect coupling of a brand called zephyr (superb quality) and a tyre pressure valve to fill air.

Quick tip: make a slightly smaller hole and use a lighter to heat the edges before threading the fittings into it for a better seal

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-04-gauge-fit-front.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-05-gauge-fit-back.jpg

Used JB Weld and Mseal to seal front and back:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-06-mseal-front-.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-07-mseal-front.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-08-mseal-rear.jpg

Before cementing this cap you need to sandpaper to remove the burrs

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-09-remove-burrs.jpg

Use a PVC solvent cement to fit

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-09a-tube1.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-09b-tube-2-back.jpg

Assembled Unit:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-10-assembled-unit.jpg

Filled water for a leak test:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-11-filling-water.jpg

Water flow without pressure:

No leaks so connected air compressor for pressure test:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-12-compressor-connected.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-13-battery-leads.jpg

Pressurising:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-14-ready-pressurise.jpg

At 3psi had a blow out:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-15-blow-out.jpg

Found the culprit to be the sealing ring which prevented the cement from adhering properly. Removed it and receomernted.

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-16-ring-removed.jpg

After drying, re pressurised and here's the video at 5psi.

I'm happy with the force. Plan was 20-25 psi but this seems enough.

Plus I'm not sure if it can take a higher pressure. For that I need to source ABS pipes but all connectors are not available around me. Still searching though.

At 5psi noticed a small leak:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-19-pressure-leak-area.jpg

Have Msealed it:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-20-mseal-joined-1.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-21-mseal-joined.jpg

Will try second pressure test tomorrow.

Reason for posting now is to welcome any comments.

The idea is to fill water 75% at home (25% for air) and pressurise at camp site or offroad venue. The pressure will help me clearing major mud gunk off the offroad recovery equipment and shoes before entering car or putting stuff back in.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 28th October 2020 at 13:51. Reason: corrected typos
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 13:58   #311
Team-BHP Support

Did you considered something like this?

https://www.amazon.ca/Vidalido-Outdo...16921761&psc=1

Quote:
Need it car mounted.

Remember I had hastily made a camp shower earlier?

The project was to make an overhead water storage for cleaning camping equipment.

You need a shower to clean your equipment?

Last edited by Turbanator : 28th October 2020 at 14:26.
Old 28th October 2020, 14:06   #312
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Did you considered something like this?

https://www.amazon.ca/Vidalido-Outdo...16921761&psc=1
Need it car mounted.

This is my inspiration:

https://www.rei.com/blog/camp/diy-ca...ar-camp-shower
Old 28th October 2020, 14:35   #313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...The idea is to fill water 75% at home (25% for air) and pressurise at camp site or offroad venue. The pressure will help me clearing major mud gunk off the offroad recovery equipment and shoes before entering car or putting stuff back in.
I had a similar brainwave, for an air tank; used a 5kg fire extinguisher for POC and then got a 20 gallon air tank repurposed from scrap. Takes up space, but, the time it saves in filling up air after a desert drive, and also help in cleaning up, without having the run the compressor, is bliss! ARB twin compressor being put to full use.

Coming to this, have had a similar setup with a members vehicle, as shown in that photo of shared. Though it was not pressurized.

You might need to plan for a base rod, to support the length of the tube, so that it supports any flex. And if it has a support plate at the end, it will provide additional support for the end caps and help during water sloshing inside. You can have one or two breakers placed inside, if required, to reduce the effect of sloshing, else you will have the full weight of the content hitting the rear cap during start and the front cap, during stop.
HappyWheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 14:48   #314
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post

You might need to plan for a base rod, to support the length of the tube, so that it supports any flex. And if it has a support plate at the end, it will provide additional support for the end caps and help during water sloshing inside. You can have one or two breakers placed inside, if required, to reduce the effect of sloshing, else you will have the full weight of the content hitting the rear cap during start and the front cap, during stop.

The pipe will be supported at three positions to prevent flex and I’m not worried about that.

I forgot to add in my previous post:

I have put it 3 baffles by gluing in a small perforated plastic pieces at equidistant lengths of the pipe.
Old 28th October 2020, 15:08   #315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The pipe will be supported at three positions to prevent flex and I’m not worried about that...

Reckon the outlet going to be at the rear, so it is going to be fixed with a slope in that direction or let parking slope take care of it?

And, what is the total weight of the vehicle, as of now, with a full load of fuel and 4 of your best well fed buddies? I think you did do a weighing long time back; have you rechecked it any time recently?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks