Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2021, 12:04   #331
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Stowed away inside. The slight lip of the L section prevents the table from sliding in the front.
Remember I had made this, well it was eating away too much space (for larger bags to fit) and I needed a smaller solution. Optimized storage and amount of stuff I carried and managed to fit everything in the lower drawers and discarded the top unit.

As most are aware, I run a training school called Learn Offroad. For that I need to carry other stuff like magnetic signs for vehicles, walkie talkies, exam boards for indemnity, etc and needed a custom storage for that. So fabricated a small box for it.

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-full.jpeg

The top drawer is for the stuff for training:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-open.jpeg

The bottom one is for the magnetic signs. It also doubles up for the tea coffee stand.

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-draw.jpeg

Therefore I removed the tea-coffee door table I had fabricated and changed that to a custom mount for tools.

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-door.jpeg

Made an extension towards the right window:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-extension.jpeg

This little box is accessible from the front passenger side by opening the arm rest:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-arm-rest-closed.jpeg

Once open I can access stuff there like folded tripod stools, wheel chocks, winch extension rope, etc.

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-arm-rest-open.jpeg

The other side I have a net to keep objects from flying around.

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-net.jpeg

Have a small box with tea/coffee/mugs and the hot water kettle:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-tea.jpeg
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 21:17   #332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As most are aware, I run a training school called Learn Offroad. For that I need to carry other stuff like magnetic signs for vehicles, walkie talkies, exam boards for indemnity, etc and needed a custom storage for that.
Was this vehicle in Ahmednagar, MH on 26-27th June? I saw an immaculately maintained, tricked out Pajero and first thought was this has to be some bhpian! It was good to see such car here which is otherwise quite devoid of interesting cars.
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 23:09   #333
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Was this vehicle in Ahmednagar, MH on 26-27th June? I saw an immaculately maintained, tricked out Pajero and first thought was this has to be some bhpian! It was good to see such car here which is otherwise quite devoid of interesting cars.
Nope. She was safely parked at home in mumbai.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 18:01   #334
BHPian

Quote:
The automatic antenna in the PAJERO is a hindrance during offroad.
Can’t keep music on or if a call comes with music off, it auto extends.
Have broken it once and had to replace the antenna. Last week nearly snagged it again.

So disconnected the antenna and motor and fitted an internal antenna instead.

Attachment 2092166
I have a 1998 Montero in the US. Closely following your thread. I have also broken my antenna many years ago. Internal antenna makes a lot of sense. Will give it a try.

My Pajero is almost stock. Haven't done much to it.

One gadget/upgrade I would recommend, if not already done - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Replace the cigarette lighter with USB charger, with a volt reading. It reads the approx volts at the battery terminal. Helpful when the battery is low on charge or the alternator is not doing its job properly.

Last edited by Sheel : 22nd September 2021 at 11:33. Reason: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD! Thanks.
fi.robin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 13:45   #335
BHPian

Attaching some latest pics of the Pajero with new shoes and a new off-road bumper. Next up will be snorkels and then a roof rack...that should make up the basics for long trips, the overland way
Attached Thumbnails
Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-img_20210201_145141.jpg  

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-img_20210326_124353.jpg  

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-img_20210309_113033.jpg  

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-img_20210221_124503.jpg  

Sikkimese4x4 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 11:29   #336
BHPian

I have found a 2015 Pajero sport 4WD online and thinking of inspecting this for my overland conversion plans. Is this a good idea?

I was thinking about shortlisting only automatic 4WD (fortuner, endy etc.) but I see/read a lot of fans for the pajero. Should I compromise on this stick shift, over the advantages of driving comfort on long drives? Or does a fortner make more sense.

There is a 5L difference in price for similar aged vehicles (pajero vs fortuner). Please comment/advise
Old 10th August 2021, 08:50   #337
Distinguished - BHPian

Once a year, I remove the roof rack and re torque all the nuts and bolts from inside and under the roof rack. I also need to optimise the storage solution on top of the rack and move everything in such a way locks and clamps can be accessed from either side rather than front back because to open the front clamp is a bit of a pain and one needs to climb up on the roof rack.

So once I removed it I noticed that the roof rack legs on one side have dented the roof slightly thanks to the topple that happened last year.

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-729ef5de76de4cb694d0b8dd96515cb4.jpg

Thinking of getting a cold dent remove process done here or will just leave it as is.

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-img_4175.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-img_4174.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-img_4173.jpg
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 13:04   #338
Senior - BHPian

I lived under the stars in the Army for months at a time. It is second nature to me to sleep right on the ground with the ants, mosquitos, leaches, centipedes...and the moon and the great milky way.

But after that, this idea of a pop-up camper looks like a palace to me. You don't have to modify your vehicle much to tow one of these. They are light. You don't have to clutter up your vehicle with sundry junk, leaving it free to easily run down to the daily needs store and buy some popcorn and a two liter cold bottle of soda...or do other stuff easy-peasy.

Chances are, after 3 or 4 days you are going to want to check in to four walls, a roof, a toilet and a shower in any case, so my unsolicited advice is to follow the K.I.S.S. method...

K = keep
I = it
s = simple
s = stupid

Build your own towed trailer/camper is an option I throw out there. The snakes and scorpions will thank you for staying out of their way. These travel folded up and the trailer thus has a low center of gravity while towing. It "pops up" in a minute or two when you want to set up camp someplace.
Attached Images

Last edited by DirtyDan : 10th August 2021 at 13:13.
DirtyDan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 18:46   #339
Distinguished - BHPian

Explored this option but the rules for towing are very vague and open to interpretation by the police. Who wants a daily hassle?
Old 11th August 2021, 22:43   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I lived under the stars in the Army for months at a time. It is second nature to me to sleep right on the ground with the ants, mosquitos, leaches, centipedes.........It "pops up" in a minute or two when you want to set up camp someplace.
Good idea. I am cooking up an overland project now. I looked at the practicality of a trailer with tent. One thing that worries me is the driving dynamics over rough roads. Assuming the vehicle is a 4x4 Thar 2020, an attached trailer will make for some challenging views in the rear view.

I also wonder how it will behave on on highways with a towed trailer. Add that the RTO checks. Overall, I am not convinced that a trailer will be practical in Indian overland trips.
vkiran_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 11:08   #341
Distinguished - BHPian

With all the winching and winch training I'm doing, I added a larger volt meter to the vehicle.

Thank god I had purchased it before the aliexpress app got banned.

It has a nice sweep of the dial when it starts up and 4 colour options as well to choose via the knob on the bottom.

Name:  Screenshot 20210922 at 11.06.47 AM.png
Views: 1737
Size:  559.1 KB
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 12:34   #342
Distinguished - BHPian

Time for the ~130,000 service.

Venue: JDS. They have now shifted to Khairane, New Bombay from their earlier location near Powai.

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-service.jpg

Regular service.

Got oils changed. With all the mucking around in the monsoons, got the brakes cleaned and serviced.

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-brake.jpg

Look at the amount of muck inside the skid plate!

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-muck.jpg

Got all belts replaced. Had done more than 40,000 kms on them.

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-belt-cracked.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-belt-torn.jpg

And the usual wash:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-wash.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-wash1.jpg
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 11:44   #343
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Finally in December 2015, after nearly a year, i decided to change the tyres and rims.
Nearly 5 years later and approx 50,000 kms, the tyres needed changing. Current ODO at approx 131,500kms.

Out of the 50k kms, atleast 15,000kms must have been offroad and the tyres held up good enough and needed immediate changing:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-old-tyre.jpeg

Unfortunately with the ISI mark being necessary and the imports being infrequent, sourcing 31x10.5x15 AT tyres was a pain.

The other issue being that now 15" is not a running size with most of the market moving to Thar tyre size which is 16 and above.

Continental has stopped this tyre size in India and I needed other options.

Most of the tyre dealers I spoke to had Chinese brands and I wasn't sure I wanted to invest in those unproven tyres for my heavy and recurrent offroad needs.

Some calls to contacts and I found out that a shipment of Yokohama Geolanders G015 at left Thailand and had a stock of this size.

Immediately called the dealer and blocked the size.

This is the dealer:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-visiting-card.jpeg

The tyres at the showroom:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-5-tyres.jpeg

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-close-up.jpeg

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-label.jpeg

Made an appointment and reached:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-car-crown.jpeg

Checked the manufacturing date and was happy. June 2021.

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-manufacturing-date.jpeg

Got them balanced:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-bal.jpeg

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-balancing.jpeg

And aligned:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-alignment.jpeg

And she's ready:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-fitted-parked.jpeg

These are not OWL and the colour will fade away after a few washes.

There has been some concern with weak side walls on the earlier G012 generation of Geolanders and apparently it was solved in the G015. So hoping for the best, though honestly I had no choice.

So what made me really go for this was the 1.5 year years unconditional replacement warrantee including cuts and damages and 5years manufacturing warrantee (of course the latter isn't a deal breaker).

What I love is the first ride on any new tyres. Feels so different and comfortable after using the old ones.

I changed all 5 tyres and have kept one good Conti tyre in case of emergency and will mount on original stock Rim and keep.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 1st October 2021 at 11:47.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 04:45   #344

Quote:
Unfortunately with the ISI mark being necessary and the imports being infrequent, sourcing 31x10.5x15 AT tyres was a pain.

The other issue being that now 15" is not a running size with most of the market moving to Thar tyre size which is 16 and above.
Hi Tejas,

Your detailed build log of this vehicle build has truly been an insightful
experience for me. I was very excited when I spotted you in town recently.

I am a new member of Team BHP, but have been following the forums since my first car. It was practical and financial considerations, that made me buy and build my Mahindra MM 540 DP and turn it into a roadtrip vehicle. However after a few years of traveling with my dogs, I've realised I'd like to step-up to overlanding with a longer wheelbase 4x4. Thus, my search landed me at a Pajero.
I have the same tyres on my MM540 and thats the only part of the vehicle which will (hopefully) be carried forward to the Pajero.

1) Would you suggest a SFX (2008 onwards) over a GLX (pre 2007), considering mechanically they are the same vehicle?
I've found GLX much cheaper than SFX counterparts within the second hand market.
Is it just the age and the impending Green Tax that GLX have lesser value or there's more to it?

2) What to look out for?

3) Any updates to the local availability of the parts you put in your build? Can't afford to ship parts from Australia or SA

Thanks!
Looking forward to your response. .
srthkchand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 13:17   #345
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srthkchand View Post

1) Would you suggest a SFX (2008 onwards) over a GLX (pre 2007), considering mechanically they are the same vehicle?
I've found GLX much cheaper than SFX counterparts within the second hand market.
Is it just the age and the impending Green Tax that GLX have lesser value or there's more to it?
GLX older models didn't have ABS and airbags. Need to check if those are present.
And of course yes, greentax and the getting the fitness done regularly.

Quote:
2) What to look out for?
Two weak links: clutch - check for vibrations at low revs. And play in steering box

Quote:
3) Any updates to the local availability of the parts you put in your build? Can't afford to ship parts from Australia or SA
Grey market parts are available though not as good as OE.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed