Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2019, 12:11   #61
BHPian

Re: Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr GB View Post
Thanks Joe angelo. Can you please confirm whether it stuck to stock steel rims as well? i am not looking at changing it but only tyres. I like the steel rims.

Also, if i understand your comments, it might rub the stock front bumber. So i need to change it if i upsize to this spec.
Yes. Im still using the OE steel wheel rim only. It will sure rub the OE bumper if you upsize.
joe angelo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2019, 21:44   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr GB View Post
@SwapnilNalavade - I own Gypsy King 1.3 MPFI (Mfg. Nov 2018) and i am planning to switch from stock MRF tyres to tubeless A/T tyres. I am fine with stock steel rims. Hence please let me know whether Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S P215/75 R15 fits stock gypsy steel rims.
Dr GB. I upsized to Yokohama geolander A/T-S p215/75 R15. My car is absolutely stock otherwise. I have not faced any issues with the tyre rubbing anywhere. The upsize has given me an inch or so of extra ground clearance and a slightly better ride and a whole lot less tyre noise over the stock MRF Estate tyres.
Attached Thumbnails
Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-img_20181113_12351601.jpeg  

Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-img_20181113_12252901.jpeg  

The Red Devil is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th April 2019, 17:05   #63
BHPian

Hello guys. I have been planning to upgrade the suspension of my Gypsy and have looked into the possible options. For now, I can list out the following:
1- CFLs at the rear: Cheapest (20k). Smooth ride but unreliable during off-roads. There are likely chances of damage if a rock/boulder hits it. Besides, I have read that they flatten out while the vehicle is loaded. This might damage the shocks.
2- Ironman setup: Costly (80-90k). Comfort and reliable. On as well as off-road.
3- OME setup: Costly (80-90k). I have read that they are more reliable than Ironmans.
4- Coil spring setup: Installed at Sarbloh/Samrala for something to the north of 1.5 lakh. Only for hardcore offroad use.

From the above options, I am more interested in options 2 and 3 but did not get enough feedback to decide between the two. My usage is 50% onroad and 50% offroad. Any inputs?
Old 25th April 2019, 19:34   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsi View Post
I have been planning to upgrade the suspension of my Gypsy and have looked into the possible options. I am more interested in options 2 and 3 but did not get enough feedback to decide between the two. My usage is 50% onroad and 50% offroad. Any inputs?
Gypsy has many issues other than the suspension. I will suggest upgrading suspension if you have overcome all of those like no power steering, lack of power/ overheating with Air conditioning. If you have got used to Gypsy and have overcome all the other things, go with ARB or Ironman. It just transforms the whole suspension and works well in Off-Road/ On Road. I have got the suspension changed to ARB but am Not OK with other stuff so my Gypsy is lying mostly unused.
Turbanator is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th April 2019, 22:02   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Gypsy has many issues other than the suspension. I will suggest upgrading suspension if you have overcome all of those like no power steering, lack of power/ overheating with Air conditioning. If you have got used to Gypsy and have overcome all the other things, go with ARB or Ironman. It just transforms the whole suspension and works well in Off-Road/ On Road. I have got the suspension changed to ARB but am Not OK with other stuff so my Gypsy is lying mostly unused.
Yes, most of what you have mentioned are taken care of. PS and AC have been installed. But I strongly feel that suspension is one big thing that needs upgradation in Gypsy.
Btw, which is better? ARB or Ironman? Has the bone jarring ride been taken care of in your Gypsy? And how's the off-road performance?
Old 27th April 2019, 13:59   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Btw, which is better? ARB or Ironman? Has the bone jarring ride been taken care of in your Gypsy? And how's the off-road performance?
A year back I replaced the OE suspension on my 2016 Gypsy King with OME (ARB) - went the whole 9 yards with leaf springs, shock absorbers, steering damper, bushes, et al. The difference in ride quality is phenomenal to say the least. Of course, it is nowhere close to that of a "regular" car but much much better compared to the stock one. Am yet to try it under off-road situations though. Another added advantage is the significant improvement to the overall stance of the vehicle - the Gyspy simply does not deserve the pathetic leafs that come with it as OE

From what I understood during my research before the upgrade - Ironman kit is a tad stiffer and preferred if your usage is biased towards off-road. OME is not as stiff (but no way any less stronger) and preferred if the usage is a mix of on-road and off-road. Given this, I went for the OME and am very happy with it.

Hope I have not confused you further.
cool_dube is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2019, 13:04   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post

From what I understood during my research before the upgrade - Ironman kit is a tad stiffer and preferred if your usage is biased towards off-road. OME is not as stiff (but no way any less stronger) and preferred if the usage is a mix of on-road and off-road. Given this, I went for the OME and am very happy with it.

Hope I have not confused you further.
I talked to Zack from Ironman and Vivek from OME. Both of them conveyed similar but contrary statements that customers shifted to their brand from the other and not vice versa. Now, I wonder who is speaking the truth . As per the conversation, OME person informed that they have two setups, comfort and heavy duty. Which one are you using?

Since there is no marked difference in pricing and the feedback is quite wavering, I suppose I should test the Gypsies running on these setups to make a decision before shelling out a lakh on any of the two.

Last edited by Arsi : 2nd May 2019 at 13:05. Reason: Grammatical
Old 2nd May 2019, 13:58   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
customers shifted to their brand from the other and not vice versa
Why am I not surprised

Quote:
OME person informed that they have two setups, comfort and heavy duty. Which one are you using?
Technically, there is no such thing as "comfort" and "heavy duty". There is only one option for the rear setup. For the front setup, there are 2 options - one for stock vehicles and the other in case of front bumper/winch et al, which would be a tad stiffer compared to the first one for obvious reasons. I went for the first one, since I intend to keep the vehicle in stock condition.

Quote:
I suppose I should test the Gypsies running on these setups to make a decision before shelling out a lakh on any of the two
Makes sense Best of luck!
cool_dube is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 18:43   #69
BANNED

Hi @SwapnilNalavade , congrats for your gypsy.
I must say, for a true offroader, its one of the best option in its price range.
Just curious to know as did you manage to get AC installed in it ? If yes, can you please share the model and the make of the Air conditioning unit as I too have great liking for this car but in Delhi it would be very difficult without a hard top and an AC.
I am not sure if AC would be effective with soft top. Thanks!!!
Old 20th July 2019, 19:05   #70
BHPian

Re: Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4 (10000 Kms Done)

Apologies for the long silence, the King took 2 Years to cross the 10,000 Kms mark.

Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-gypsy-fuel-economy-12k.jpg

Overall the King has returned 11.50 Kmpl in mostly City usage and am quite satisfied with that, given the number of Kms it clocks per Month.

Over the last 10 Months I have made some minor add ons to the King.

Hell Rallye 3000 Fog Lamps : In October 2018, I installed the Hella Fog Lamps on the Front Bumper.

Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-gypsyfog-lamps-1.jpg

Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-gypsyfog-lamps-2.jpg

Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-gypsyfog-lamps-3.jpg

Air Intake Scoop & Side Mirrors : Somewhere in the thread before I have already mentioned how much I hated the Stock Mirrors & was looking to replace them with the Suzuki Samurai ones. Also as mentioned the Air Intake had covered with a Vinyl Sticker, which according to me was doing its job very well apart from the fact that it needed replacement almost every year.

While surfing the Low Range Off Road Website, I came across the Suzuki Samurai Mirrors & the Suzuki Samurai Air Intake Scoop. Immediately ordered both the items. While the Price I feel is a bit on the higher side, the Quality of both the Mirrors & the Air Scoop is Top Notch.

Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-gypsymirror-air-scoop-1.jpg

Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-gypsymirror-air-scoop-2.jpg

White Grill & Air Scoop : I was always toying with the Idea of painting White the Grill. So finally took the plunge & painted White both the Grill & Air Scoop.

Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-gypsywhite-grill.jpg

To each his own but I kinda like the White Grill Look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timussharma View Post
Hi @SwapnilNalavade , congrats for your gypsy.
I must say, for a true offroader, its one of the best option in its price range.
Just curious to know as did you manage to get AC installed in it ? If yes, can you please share the model and the make of the Air conditioning unit as I too have great liking for this car but in Delhi it would be very difficult without a hard top and an AC.
I am not sure if AC would be effective with soft top. Thanks!!!

The AC installed Setup of my King comprises of the following:

a. Compressor – Maruti Esteem
b. Condenser – Maruti Ecco
c. Cooling Coil – Maruti Ecco

You can find the Pics of the same here. (Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4)

Last edited by SwapnilNalavade : 20th July 2019 at 19:15.
SwapnilNalavade is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th February 2020, 23:38   #71
BHPian

Re: Got Gypsy段ed - Now With XUV500 Seats !!!

As mentioned earlier, I had replaced the Coir in the Gypsy Seats with High Density Foam. The only downside due it was that the Seats had now become very thick as compared to the Original Seats, which resulted in my Knee fouling with the Music System.

Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-before.jpg

After much contemplation, I zeroed on the Mahindra XUV500 seats. Tried searching online if someone had previously installed these seats in the Gypsy but couldnt find any links at all.
Now the seats which I got were with Beige Covers & Beige Body Panels while the Gypsy Dashboard & Interiors were Grey. Seats though Super Comfortable, the Beige Colour was an eyesore with the Standard Grey Interiors of the Gypsy. But once fitted they immediately Solved the issue which warranted the change of seats.

Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-after.jpg

Next in Line was changing Beige Colour of the Seats. While the Covers could be easily replaced, problem was with the Seat Panels.

Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-beige-seats.jpg

Ordered a Complete set of Black Panels for the Seats.

Another issue that cropped up was that the Seat Belt Clip of the Gypsy didn稚 match with the Buckle of the XUV500.

Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-seat-belt.jpg

Got a Clip which matched with the Seat Belt Buckle, then got the Belt unstitched & re stitched with the New Clip.

Once the Black Panels arrived got New Seat Covers made in the pattern of The Plush New XUV500, albeit in Grey.

Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-spares.jpg

Pros :
The Front Seats are really Wide & offer enough cushioning to one痴 body along with being extremely comfortable on Long Journey痴.
The Driver Seat is Power adjustable in 6 Different ways along with manually operatable Lumbar Support

Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-xuv500-seat.jpg

Cons :
The seats being really wide, a lot of modification needs to be done to the floor pan to accommodate the seats.
With the doors shut, the Seat Controls are not accessible.

Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-grey-seats.jpg

Bottom Line : For the amount of Comfort these Seats offer, the Cons can be easily ignored. The old ones can easily be termed back breakers as compared to the New Ones.
SwapnilNalavade is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 13th April 2020, 16:00   #72
BHPian

Re: Got Gypsy段ed - Brochures & Posters

So while going through my old stuff, I managed to find a lot of interesting stuff. One of which was Old Posters & Brochures. First Page of some of the Brochures has been posted here. (The Classic Advertisement/Brochure Thread)

Below are full pics of some of them related to the Gypsy.

Maruti Pulse Of India Brochure

Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-maruti-pulse-india-1.jpg

Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-maruti-pulse-india-2.jpg

Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-maruti-pulse-india-3.jpg

Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-maruti-pulse-india-4.jpg

Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-maruti-pulse-india-5.jpg

Gypsy E & Gypsy King Brochure

Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-maruti-gypsy-e-maruti-gypsy-king-1.jpg

Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-maruti-gypsy-e-maruti-gypsy-king-2.jpg

Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-maruti-gypsy-e-maruti-gypsy-king-3.jpg

DC Design Posters

Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-dc-poster-2.jpg

Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-dc-poster-3.jpg
SwapnilNalavade is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th April 2020, 22:54   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwapnilNalavade View Post
After much contemplation, I zeroed on the Mahindra XUV500 seats.
Loved the modification.
Just a few questions:
Did you buy them new? or second hand?
What was the cost of the seats?
Was the wiring for the electronic control of the seats easy?
Old 19th April 2020, 12:37   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimuraKenshin View Post
Loved the modification.
Just a few questions:
Did you buy them new? or second hand?
What was the cost of the seats?
Was the wiring for the electronic control of the seats easy?
Got the Seats off a Friends XUV500 at Zero Cost. The wiring is pretty straight forward, any Car Electrician can do it.
Old 5th May 2020, 08:48   #75
BHPian

Hello Gypsy lovers, here's some pics my MG 410 now converted to MG 416. Had booked a brand new Gypsy too but production has already stopped and my booking got cancelled.
Attached Thumbnails
Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-img20200308wa0011.jpeg  

Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-img20200226wa0005.jpeg  

Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-img20200308wa0015.jpeg  

Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-img20200226wa0017.jpeg  

Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-img20200308wa0005.jpeg  

Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-img20200226wa0010.jpeg  

Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-img20200226wa0013.jpeg  

Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-img20200308wa0017.jpeg  

Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-img20200308wa0019.jpeg  

Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-img20200308wa0022.jpeg  

Sikkimese4x4 is offline   (9) Thanks