Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2017, 20:12   #31
BHPian

Re: Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4

Great purchase and an excellent review Sir! Wishing you many happy miles!

Those rims look fantastic on your Gypsy, and for a fleeting moment I thought they are some new factory upgrade

You review has taken me back to my childhood, more than 20 years ago when my father owned a green 3-door hardtop variant of the Gypsy. Great to see everything about it, including the dashboard is still the same. I have thought numerous times over the last 2-3 years of purchasing a Gypsy as a project car and to use around our farm in Karjat, and your review has further tempted the fire!

Enjoy your ride buddy!
Old 3rd June 2017, 14:57   #32
BHPian

Hi Swapnil,

Great review, Its always an inspiration reading these kinds of thread, I almost booked a brand new gypsy last year, but had to cancel it because of family pressure, well i'm all set to book again, planning to book a brand new one in two months, hope it would be still available.
Old 11th June 2017, 19:44   #33
BHPian

Apologies for the long silence, work commitments have kept me fairly busy and due to the same haven’t been able to do any additions to the Gypsy. The Gypsy has clocked almost 1800 Kms till date and even the rains have arrived but am yet to do the Anti Corrosive Treatment on the Gypsy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcupine View Post
... You review has taken me back to my childhood, more than 20 years ago when my father owned a green 3-door hardtop variant of the Gypsy. Great to see everything about it, including the dashboard is still the same. I have thought numerous times over the last 2-3 years of purchasing a Gypsy as a project car and to use around our farm in Karjat, and your review has further tempted the fire!

Enjoy your ride buddy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz View Post
... I almost booked a brand new Gypsy last year, but had to cancel it because of family pressure, well i'm all set to book again, planning to book a brand new one in two months, hope it would be still available.
The Gypsy is an extremely competent Off Roader but it is more like an Analog Watch in a Digital World. You need to be doubly sure of what you are getting into, as the Gypsy is not everyone’s cup of tea. To put across my point would share a couple of my experiences & corresponding explanations; ever since my Gypsy has been delivered I usually drive around in it when am in Mumbai. Many a times am meeting old friends with whom I was not able to keep in touch due to my Gujarat posting for 5 long years. These are people who drive around in Modern Automobiles, by Modern Automobiles I mean they drive vehicles which were launched post 2010 or are still in Production (except The Maruti Gypsy or the Maruti Omni), the vehicles range from a Mahindra Scorpio to a BMW 5 Series. Only a few of my Friends have driven or even sat in a Gypsy before, with the Gypsy’s being driven are the MG 410’s not even the MG 410W’s. Below are the comments made by them when they first drove or were driven around in my Gypsy, some of the comments are from Friends whom I had met prior to the AC Installation.

1. What, No AC or No Power Steering ?
2. The Ride Quality is pathetic, feels like sitting in a Bullock Cart.
3. Engine is not peppy, takes a hell lot of time to reach 100 Kmph
4. Instrument Cluster is not well lit
5. Doors require to be hard shut
6. Seats are very hard and uncomfortable
7. Music System eats into the legroom – for Long Drivers
8. Terrible Wind Noise when driven fast
9. Are those things at the rear supposed to be called Seats ?

And the Mother Of All.

10. After Driving your Gypsy for 15 Mins my arms have started to pain, feels like I have come out of a Gym after a heavy workout.

So is their opinion incorrect about the Gypsy, DEFINITELY NOT. The problem is most people fail to recognise the fact that it is basically a Vehicle that was launched in 1985 and the only components that differ from the Launch Vehicle are the Bonnet, the Grille, the Wheel Arches, the Drive Train and the Differentials. The Engine (G13BA) for example is from the Maruti Esteem that was launched in 1994, the current Gypsy has a MPFI’ed version of that very engine (G13BB). So if the Maruti Gyspy has completed 32 years on Indian Roads; the engine will complete it’s Silver Jubilee on Indian Roads if the Gypsy manages to stay in production for 2 more years. Imagine being able to buy a Brand New Premier Padmini now powered a MPFI Engine, being able to buy a Brand New Maruti Gypsy even now is similar.

When launched way back in 1985, it was easily ahead of its time when compared to the highest selling vehicles back then – The Premier Padmini and The Hindustan Ambassador. For starters it had a Proper Dashboard, Bucket Seats and a Vent Selector. Coming back to current time when most Modern Automobile users sit in a Gypsy they fail to understand how the Dashboard Plastic can be so bad or the AC Controls are not illuminated. Heck even the Speedometer is not back illuminated but side illuminated. What they don’t understand is that way back in 1985 the most basic feature of today’s cars – the Vent Selector was not available in most cars, people used have their cars fitted with Aftermarket AC’s comprising mostly of a Sanden Compressor and a SuperKing Blower. The Engine though very old is a great performer largely due to a good Power To Weight Ratio, the Gypsy if am not mistaken does 0 – 100 Kmph in approx 18 Seconds, which is very good considering the Design Age of the components used. Most Modern Diesel SUV’s will achieve this feat in approx 11 Seconds, while the Hi End Saloons will do it in approx 6 Seconds. I feel it’s criminal to compare the acceleration of the Gypsy with Modern Automobiles especially when the example you are driving is running bigger Tyres which results in erroneous readings on the Speedometer.

The Gypsy has no Double Wishbone Suspension up front or a 4 Link Suspension at the Rear, it has a Basic Leaf Spring Set Up at Front and Rear, with regular Shock Absorbers. The Gypsy to the best of my knowledge was never meant to be a Sprinter it was meant to be a Mountain Goat which it is thanks to its Ladder Frame Chassis and Leaf Spring Suspension. Being a Leaf Spring Setup the round will always be a bit bouncy, but it’s prowess lies Off Road where it is truly the KING. Also when the Gypsy was launched way back in 1985 it was powered by a F10A Suzuki Engine which developed 45 Bhp, back in those days 45 Bhp was as good amount of Power considering the Premier Padmini developed 47 Bhp. I presume the Gypsy might have gained the image of a Sprinter back then thanks to it’s Power To Weight Ratio as compared to the competition; which sadly doesn’t hold true today. Heck even my Peugeot 309 GLD which was launched in the late 90’s was powered by a 56 Bhp TUD5 Engine and did 0 – 60 in 7.89 Seconds, back in the day if I recall correctly it was a better timing than a Carburetted Esteem.

Was watching an Episode of Wheeler Dealers some days back, where Mike praising a Triumph Spifire 1500 said “The Steering Wheel is connected to the Front Wheels, The Clutch Pedal is connected to the Gearbox, the Accelerator is got to be a Wire, but it goes to the Carburettors. No Computers it’s as simple as that, you have to learn how to drive again to appreciate a good old car like this one. “ I feel the statement holds true for the Maruti Gypsy, if we bar the Computers and Carburettors part it holds true for the current production model as well. Most of us who own a Gypsy have it either as our Second or Third Vehicle and comparing the Gypsy with our other rides is like comparing Apples with Oranges.

So if you are planning to buy a Gypsy make sure you don’t compare it with any Vehicles of the current lot for creature comforts and sprinting abilities. Also if it’s meant to be your daily driver, before buying it make sure you have driven one on your daily commute route atleast once. This way you’ll know what to expect and what not to expect from the vehicle. Buying now and later coming to know you were not cut out for the Gypsy will only result in loss of your hard earned money.

but was always thinking how the SJ410 came to be called a Gypsy in India. Maybe in one of the Maruti Meetings someone would have said they are planning to launch a vehicle similar to the Jeep - JEEP SI, somehow the name got stuck on to the product and it was later christened Maruti Gypsy
SwapnilNalavade is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 11th June 2017, 20:18   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwapnilNalavade View Post
The Gypsy is an extremely competent Off Roader but it is more like an Analog Watch in a Digital World.
Sir, that post truly came straight from the heart. It's no surprise that the Gypsy isn't an easy vehicle to live with in today's day and age, and it definitely has its issues keeping up with the times. But with that said it truly does have its raw and rustic charm; but its ownership is not for the feint of heart. It is really warming to watch your enthusiasm through your ownership of the true King of Indian roads.

Your point does hold valid, that only buy a Gypsy once you've spent enough time with it and are confident you can live with one. While it won't be my daily drive, it was something I was considering to use on our farm and as a side project car to mod. But I have noted your words in bold letters; and while most of it was something I have already been aware of, I won't go ahead with it till I'm a 110% sure. Hopefully one day I can get a ride in your beast .

Quote:
but was always thinking how the SJ410 came to be called a Gypsy in India. Maybe in one of the Maruti Meetings someone would have said they are planning to launch a vehicle similar to the Jeep - JEEP SI, somehow the name got stuck on to the product and it was later christened Maruti Gypsy
I might be COMPLETELY wrong here, but I think the SJ410 platform was for the Suzuki Jimny which has a short wheelbase. While the Gypsy featured a long wheel base version of the same. I don't know what the internal code for it was but I'm pretty sure it was also imported to numerous other countries under the 'Gypsy' moniker. I also think it had a few other names in different markets.
Porcupine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2017, 20:49   #35
BHPian

Quote:
... I might be COMPLETELY wrong here, but I think the SJ410 platform was for the Suzuki Jimny which has a short wheelbase. While the Gypsy featured a long wheel base version of the same. I don't know what the internal code for it was but I'm pretty sure it was also imported to numerous other countries under the 'Gypsy' moniker. I also think it had a few other names in different markets.
To the best of my knowledge the SJ was called the Gypsy only in India. The LWB versions of the SJ were also sold abroad, below is an advert from 1984.

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-07phyr0f.jpeg

The Suzuki SJ410/413 is also known as the below other than the Maruti Gypsy

Chevrolet Samurai
Holden Drover
Santana Samurai
Suzuki Caribian
Suzuki Farmworker
Suzuki Katana
Suzuki Potohar
Suzuki Samurai
Suzuki Santana
Suzuki Sierra

Quote:
... Hopefully one day I can get a ride in your beast
Surely, I live in the Suburban part of Mumbai, let me know when you come to this part of the town. Am usually in Mumbai only on Weekends & Month Ends.
SwapnilNalavade is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2017, 22:25   #36
BHPian

I always wanted to do a full fledge Fibre Coating to the Under Body and the Tub, but the advent of the monsoons coupled with time constraint meant I had to act fast . So finally today, took time out to treat my Gypsy to a 3M Anti Corrosive Treatment.

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-20170617_124509.jpg

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-20170617_130327.jpg

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-20170617_130509.jpg

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-20170617_130625.jpg

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-20170617_132456.jpg

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-20170617_132827.jpg

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-20170617_133024.jpg

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-20170617_133203.jpg

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-20170617_133626.jpg

The Fibre Coating plan is not scrapped, but on hold. While the 3M Anti Corrosion Treatment is not bad am an Old School Guy and am hooked on to Fibre Coating. I frankly can’t remember any of my Personal Vehicles not being Fibre Coated except for the Gypsy. So till I can spare a whole day for the Fibre Coating, 3M Treatment it is.
SwapnilNalavade is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th June 2017, 14:29   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I always wanted to do a full fledge Fibre Coating to the Under Body and the Tub, but the advent of the monsoons coupled with time constraint meant I had to act fast . So finally today, took time out to treat my Gypsy to a 3M Anti Corrosive Treatment.

[
Kindly excuse my ignorance, what is fiber coating??

Also the 3M product which you have used isn't as good as the 3M body schutz which is a premium product with better adhesion. 3M underseal is known to come off later in patches. So kindly pay attention to the underbody and the engine bay.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th June 2017, 17:34   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Kindly excuse my ignorance, what is fiber coating??

Also the 3M product which you have used isn't as good as the 3M body schutz which is a premium product with better adhesion...
but frankly speaking it doesn't matter, the 3M coating is more of a stop gop arrangement.

Fibre Coating is basically applying Fibre Glass Sheets with requisite solutions on the Underbody, inside the Wheel Arches, flooring of the vehicle, etc.

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-fiberglass_standard_matxl.jpg

Once dried out the layer becomes so tough that incase any work has to be carried out on the coated part, the layer has to be chiseled out. The flipside is that the visual appeal is really bad. In normal cars the flooring is covered by the Carpet hence the coat is not visible, but in a Gyspy with just the Full Body Matting the fibre sheets will be visible. Yes, finishing can be achieved by sanding & then painting the Fibre but it is a very very tedious job and am not bothered with the way my Flooring looks below the Matting. Will share pictures, whenever it's done on my Gypsy.

Below are videos on usage of Fibre Glass Cloth to repair large rust holes.

SwapnilNalavade is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2017, 22:19   #39
BHPian

Time flies, today carried out the 2nd service of my Gypsy at the Vitesse Andheri Workshop and that's when I realised it's almost 5 months now since I bought the Gypsy but have barely driven it for 2100 Kms.

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-20170715_123220.jpg

The entire 2100 Kms have been driven completely on Tarmac and absolutely no Off-Road. The problem I have come to realise is no one wants to sit on the rear bench, the moment I suggest the Gypsy for any of the weekend escapades people come up with all kind of excuses from backaches to fuel economics. No one seems to believe the fact that my Gypsy returns close to 14 Kmpl on Highways.

Coming back to the 2nd Service, I hadn’t changed the Engine Oil during the First Service as back then it had just about run 450 Kms and also hadn’t completed a full month since purchase. So today, replaced the Oil Filter and changed the oil to Mobil Super 3000 F1 5W-40.

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-71njenqmkl._sl1500_.jpg

Haven’t driven much post the Oil Change to comment on any difference experienced pre and post oil change. The 2nd Service and Oil change was carried out in anticipation to a Malshej Ghat Trip tomorrow where the difference would have been visible, but the plan has now gone kaput as the National Highway 222 has been blocked due a landslide like situation there.(https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rc...EcMU2tV61AksPQ)

Am planning to order the below STP Octane Booster for the Gypsy, any views/experiences on this specific product would be appreciated.

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-41xv41f6hzl.jpg
SwapnilNalavade is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2017, 22:14   #40
BHPian

As Malshej Ghat was out of reach last Sunday, we changed the destination to Jawahar Palace (Jai Vilas palace). Jawhar is a part of the Palghar district at an elevation of 1466 feet. Owing to its picturesque location and cool climate it is also known as the Mahabaleshwar of Palghar district. The Jai Vilas Palace is the most popular historic tourist attraction in Jawhar.The Palace has also featured in many Ramsay Brothers movies & most recently in Great Grand Masti.

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-img_20170716_181446.jpg

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-img_20170716_181138.jpg

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-img_20170716_180638.jpg

The Palace was a good 120 Kms Drive from my place & we were a group of 10 people in 4 Cars. We had taken the Manor route, the route is really good with a good number of bends & waterfalls enroute.

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-andheri-jawahar.jpg

One should definitely make a pit stop at the Pilucha Dhabdhaba (Waterfall) enroute.

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-img_20170716_155013.jpg

Other location that shouldn’t be missed are Dabhosa Falls & Sunset Point.If one wants to have a real good time the below round trip should be definitely tried out.

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-mumbai-nashik-jawahar-mumbai.jpg

I have done this route many a times, but never in on go. The route has some very good bends but is mostly deserted. Make sure you have atleast half a Tank of Fuel before you take diversion from Nashik/Manor.

The Gypsy fresh from the Oil Upgrade to Mobil performed effortlessly in the Ghats. The overall Fuel Efficiency achieved for the entire trip was approx 12 Kmpl.

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-dsc_0031.jpg

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-dsc_0066.jpg

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-dsc_0072.jpg
SwapnilNalavade is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2017, 16:42   #41
Senior - BHPian

The gypsy looks great. The aftermarket rims add a lot to the look. How much do these rims cost for the set of 5 ?

Cheers
Old 24th July 2017, 11:21   #42
BHPian

Hi Swapnil,

Really Sorry, that I took so much time to reply, thanks a lot for taking time out and writing your view points in detail, I owned a gypsy for a brief period earlier, and had always had this thought of buying a brand new one, but then there are a lot of factors, when you weigh all of them, the practicality weighs more than the desire...
Still in a dilemma, I wanted to buy a good 4x4 which i can use daily, 90% on tarmac and 10% occasionally on dirt n mud roads, been really considering Gypsy, but then Thar always becomes more practical.

90% of the time i drive alone, so its pure driving pleasure and the desire that i'm looking for, but then 90% of the time, I drive in City only.

So the fight still goes on......have not been able to make up my mind yet.

Thanks a lot once again for reminding me all the pros n the cons of Gypsy.

Quote:
Apologies for the long silence, work commitments have kept me fairly busy and due to the same haven’t been able to do any additions to the Gypsy. The Gypsy has clocked almost 1800 Kms till date and even the rains have arrived but am yet to do the Anti Corrosive Treatment on the Gypsy.

Maruti Gypsy[/b]
Old 20th August 2017, 00:11   #43
BHPian

Alert
It started with a Fake Call to redeem my Credit Card Points & that was when I realised it had been long since I had redeemed points for one of my cards. I had been toying with the idea of making a Tool Kit for a long time now.

Armed with the Credit Card points, I decided to buy Amazon Vouchers for all the points available.
The list was more or less predefined, it had to comprise of a Wrench Set, Screw Drivers, Torch, Jumper Cables, Allen Keys, Michelin 14 In 1 Multi Tool, etc.

The most important part was selection of the Tool Box, it had to be neither too big or neither too small; after much consideration I narrowed upon the Taparia – PTB 13 Tool Box.

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-41sqzskael.jpg

The next most important item was the Lock to keep the Tool Kit secure in the Gypsy, decided to go in for a Cycle Lock to secure the Tool box with the Seat Frame.

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-81vsmglqql._sl1500_.jpg

I had an Allen Key & a Screw Driver Set lying unused with me for years now.

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-1.jpg

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-2.jpg

Later on decided to complete the Tool Kit with the below.

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-61cjagvivml._sl1000_.jpg
Michelin 14 In 1 Multi Tool

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-41uzshfgwl.jpg
Jumper Cable

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-71e58dv3qhl._sl1500_.jpg
Towing Rope

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-31dt5aeevl.jpg
Socket Wrench Set

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-61yezh5syel._sl1258_.jpg
LED Torch

All of the above is a perfect fit in the Tool Box, now the only things perhaps pending are Fuses, Screws, Nut-Bolts & Clips. Below pics would give a perspective of the Size & Compactness of the Tool Box.

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-20170819_225941.jpg

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-20170819_230004.jpg

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-20170819_230026.jpg
SwapnilNalavade is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th September 2017, 14:52   #44
BHPian

but kind of liked these Videos and thought were worth sharing here.

SwapnilNalavade is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 17:23   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1613873

After years on longing to buy a Gypsy, finally took the plunge and booked one on 2nd January 2017 at Vitesse,

Many congratulations Swapnil. I am more happy that you choose a new Gypsy rather than a used one. This legend never disappoints her owner.

I own a used Gypsy since last 3 years as my PRIMARY vehicle and believe me, my family & kids just love it.

Regarding the mods, Go for a aftermarket AC and Carbon fibre leaf spring suspension (I have Dr.Nano) installed on rear side only. It will make your ride a lot more comfortable.

Wish you all the safe rides and a load of fun times ahead with THE GYPSY !

P.S. Source of the detailed features sticker please, I want it for my Gypsy.
KiranPatil is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks