Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2020, 09:46   #76
BHPian

Re: Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikkimese4x4 View Post
Hello Gypsy lovers, here's some pics my MG 410 now converted to MG 416.
Looks great, a very nice color I might add (RTO approval?) . I presume you plonked in a G16B with the whole MPFI setup from a baleno, but would be nice to know more details like what gearbox was used.
keroo1099 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 10:01   #77
BHPian

RTO approval pending, but any ways in Sikkim it's not too strict with regards engine no. Chassis no is what is important. The gearbox is a gypsy king mated to the Baleno engine. Lower to 2 studd holes have to be modified, but the top two studd holes holding the engine with the gearbox is an exact fit.l
Sikkimese4x4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 10:34   #78
BHPian

Quote:
RTO approval pending, but any ways in Sikkim it's not too strict with regards engine no. Chassis no is what is important. The gearbox is a gypsy king mated to the Baleno engine. Lower to 2 studd holes have to be modified, but the top two studd holes holding the engine with the gearbox is an exact fit.l
Post some pics of the engine bay if possible. How does it drive compared to the original 410? The low end grunt must be substantially more with the new setup. Have you fitted a power steering or still using good old arm strength.
Old 5th May 2020, 13:09   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
Post some pics of the engine bay if possible. How does it drive compared to the original 410? The low end grunt must be substantially more with the new setup. Have you fitted a power steering or still using good old arm strength.
Good old arm strength. All the power steering options on the gypsy are over assisted and doesn't inspire confidence at high speeds, besides I don't find the steering heavy at all especially on the move. It's only during full lock that it becomes a little bit heavy, a lot also has to do with the condition of your tyres. If it's almost bald there will be too much resistance on the steering.
Sikkimese4x4 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 19:12   #80
BHPian

Hey Sikkimese. This is by far the best looking Gypsy I have seen - mature, practical and no nonsense. Please share the tyre size and alloy wheel specifications. Also, I request you to pen down an ownership review of your MG416 for all of us to read and enjoy. Please do add more pictures. Stay safe !
sid_hilldriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 16:23   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_hilldriver View Post
Hey Sikkimese. This is by far the best looking Gypsy I have seen - mature, practical and no nonsense. Please share the tyre size and alloy wheel specifications. Also, I request you to pen down an ownership review of your MG416 for all of us to read and enjoy. Please do add more pictures. Stay safe !
Hi, the tyre specs my my Gypsy are 215/75 R 15 and the rims are 139 PCD 15 inch 8j.
Old 17th January 2021, 17:06   #82

Hi Swapnil,

The Gypsy looks great! I am also looking for the cabin partition for my hard top Gypsy. Could you assist with where you got that from or did you get it made? Could you also help me with the measurements of that partition?

Thanks a lot!

Hi,

Could you share the details of how you got the rear bed fit into the Gypsy, like the material used, size of the bed, etc.?

Thanks!

Last edited by Aditya : 17th January 2021 at 19:55. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 28th February 2021, 10:09   #83
BHPian

Re: Got Gypsy段ed - The King Turns 4

The King Turns 4 Today with barely 16000 kms on the clock.

Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-img_20210228_073802_520.jpg

Thanks to the Lockdown last year the King hardly saw any action, WFH meant the Daily Office commute also no longer existed. Previously a Full Tank of Fuel lasted close to a Month but from March 2020 to January 2021 the King barely drank a Full Tank of Fuel thanks to a diminutive running of under 400 kms in those 10 Months.

As compared to the previous 10 Months February this year was most eventful with the Gypsy clocking more than a 1000 kms. In February some urgent work came up for which had to rush to Ratnagiri, we were 11 Adults & My 10 Month Old Kid. On paper a 7 Seater & a 5 Seater Vehicle would have comfortably seated us. Then came the twist, there was No Way My Dzire + BIL痴 BR-V would have swallowed our Luggage plus my Kiddo痴 Stuff (Car Seat, Stroller, Walker, Bath Tub, Toys & a Rocking Chair). Then came the King to our rescue, it not only swallowed all of the above (except the Car Seat in which my Kiddo was seated in the BR-V) & major part of our Luggage with much ease.

Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-img_20210207_060431.jpg

Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-img_20210207_060321.jpg

With the Rear Completely loaded the Ride was a lot less bouncy. Despite the Load & the Mix of Roads comprising of Ghats, Broken Roads & Under Construction Highways the King returned 12-13 Kms to the Litre based on the Odometer Reading without negating the Error due to larger tyres.

Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-img_20210207_180629.jpg

Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-img_20210209_172328.jpg

Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-img_20210211_103731.jpg

The King performed without any hiccup & the temperature needle barely climbed past the 1/3rd mark. More than 90% of the Journey was done with the AC Switched ON, am more of an Old School guy who Switches Off the Compressor during Uphill Sections of the Ghats. Just before the Trip had got the King Serviced at the Andheri Workshop of Vitesse as almost a year had passed since the last Service had been done.

Back from the Road Trip the very Next Day the King turned into a Luggage Hauler for a Wedding.

Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-img_20210216_110909.jpg

After 10 Months of almost deep slumber this February the King had turned into my Beater Vehicle.
SwapnilNalavade is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 20:45   #84
BHPian

Hi everyone seems like this thread is getting a bit neglected so thought of updating what been happening at my end.
In April this year I sold off my 1.6 Gypsy which I had so painfully restored for 3 years to the last nut and bolt, which was all genuine MGP. It had only clocked 6k kms in three years.
However don't be sad as I got another Gypsy in June. I thought I always over Gypsys but didn't realise how much I will be missing it. So after a lot of hunting for one, I finally found a 2000 model king MPFI. It's in a bad state currently but I have a while lot of parts in my inventory and also ordered a lot of parts from Maruti. Planning to slowly start the build some time next month. Many body panels will be brand new.
This time too it will not be a crazy looking type of build but instead in my usual style will try to keep it stock and looking like a showroom condition Gypsy with big tyre and off-road rims...will keep ya guys updated. Let's keep this thread alive
Old 16th July 2021, 09:12   #85
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)
Re: Got Gypsy段ed - Now With XUV500 Seats !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwapnilNalavade View Post

After much contemplation, I zeroed on the Mahindra XUV500 seats. Tried searching online if someone had previously installed these seats in the Gypsy but couldnt find any links at all.
Now the seats which I got were with Beige Covers & Beige Body Panels while the Gypsy Dashboard & Interiors were Grey. Seats though Super Comfortable, the Beige Colour was an eyesore with the Standard Grey Interiors of the Gypsy. But once fitted they immediately Solved the issue which warranted the change of seats.
Next in Line was changing Beige Colour of the Seats. While the Covers could be easily replaced, problem was with the Seat Panels.
Ordered a Complete set of Black Panels for the Seats.

Another issue that cropped up was that the Seat Belt Clip of the Gypsy didn稚 match with the Buckle of the XUV500.

Got a Clip which matched with the Seat Belt Buckle, then got the Belt unstitched & re stitched with the New Clip.

Once the Black Panels arrived got New Seat Covers made in the pattern of The Plush New XUV500, albeit in Grey.

Pros :
The Front Seats are really Wide & offer enough cushioning to one痴 body along with being extremely comfortable on Long Journey痴.
The Driver Seat is Power adjustable in 6 Different ways along with manually operatable Lumbar Support

Cons :
The seats being really wide, a lot of modification needs to be done to the floor pan to accommodate the seats.
With the doors shut, the Seat Controls are not accessible.

Attachment 1970155

Bottom Line : For the amount of Comfort these Seats offer, the Cons can be easily ignored. The old ones can easily be termed back breakers as compared to the New Ones.
Hey Swapnil,
I really love the passion you share for the Gypsy. I am interested in the xuv500 seats for my Gypsy. Can you share pictures of the floor pan modifications that you did? Also share a center picture of the gap between seats and measurement with the xuv seats installed? Does it get really close and narrow?
The seat belt clip and black panel can be purchased from Mahindra spares right? Is the xuv500 seat available in other colors with black panels as stock?

As for the driver seat controls I guess that once you adjust the seat to your liking you rarely have to touch the controls so not really a problem.

I have sealed my air intake scoop with transparent cello tape like lamination to avoid leaves and debris from coming in but I never realised that the blower needs to pull air from somewhere. I think I will have an air intake vent 3D printed locally. It may cost the same as importing or even less.

Cheers
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 00:51   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Hi everyone seems like this thread is getting a bit neglected so thought of updating what been happening at my end.
In April this year I sold off my 1.6 Gypsy which I had so painfully restored for 3 years to the last nut and bolt, which was all genuine MGP. It had only clocked 6k kms in three years.
However don't be sad as I got another Gypsy in June. I thought I always over Gypsys but didn't realise how much I will be missing it. So after a lot of hunting for one, I finally found a 2000 model king MPFI. It's in a bad state currently but I have a while lot of parts in my inventory and also ordered a lot of parts from Maruti. Planning to slowly start the build some time next month. Many body panels will be brand new.
This time too it will not be a crazy looking type of build but instead in my usual style will try to keep it stock and looking like a showroom condition Gypsy with big tyre and off-road rims...will keep ya guys updated. Let's keep this thread alive
Just curious; what drove you to sell your Gypsy? Looking forward to your posts.

And yes, you're right; this thread has been dormant for quite some time; fellow Gypsy owners, please upload some content...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Hey Swapnil,

I have sealed my air intake scoop with transparent cello tape like lamination to avoid leaves and debris from coming in but I never realised that the blower needs to pull air from somewhere. I think I will have an air intake vent 3D printed locally. It may cost the same as importing or even less.

Cheers
I have also been exploring a few options and stopped short of putting a strip of Gorilla tape on it realizing where the blower is going to take the air from. In the hills, the heater is can be a lifesaving feature and Gypsy thankfully comes with it (the only one that is).

You can consider this, though it will be a bit pricey once you're done with paying the freight. I wish some fabricator in India offered such a contraption.

Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-airscoop.jpg
Vikram Arya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 02:03   #87
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post

I have also been exploring a few options and stopped short of putting a strip of Gorilla tape on it realizing where the blower is going to take the air from. In the hills, the heater is can be a lifesaving feature and Gypsy thankfully comes with it (the only one that is).

You can consider this, though it will be a bit pricey once you're done with paying the freight. I wish some fabricator in India offered such a contraption.
I致e imported quiet a few stuff from LRO paying as much as 90% of product cost but this looks easy to do locally.
Old 25th July 2021, 20:53   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post

And yes, you're right; this thread has been dormant for quite some time; fellow Gypsy owners, please upload some content...

Attachment 2180529
Hi,
Always wanted to own a stock GYPSY King. So sold my 1.6 king. But now I miss the power of my 1.6 king .I'm in dilema as to if I should stay with the stock engine or again go for a 1.6 build
Old 28th July 2021, 13:52   #89
BHPian

My old 1.6 now being thoroughly used by the new owner.
Attached Thumbnails
Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-screenshot_20210718_151819.jpg  

Sikkimese4x4 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 14:42   #90
BHPian

Mean while my next Gypsy project has just kickstarted. Started off with all the fluid changes...will keep you all posted....
Attached Thumbnails
Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-screenshot_20210728_143759.jpg  

Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-screenshot_20210728_143747.jpg  

Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-screenshot_20210728_143736.jpg  

Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-screenshot_20210728_143716.jpg  

Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-img_20210719_151405.jpg  

Got Gypsy段ed - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-img_20210719_151348.jpg  

Most Viewed