Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2017, 15:41   #16
Team-BHP Support

re: Force Gurkha: G-Wagen Makeover

It's gonna be super interesting to watch this transformation progress!

Cross-linking to another G-Class build (though on a Bolero), just for reference: link

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th March 2017 at 15:43.
Rehaan is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 14th March 2017, 16:48   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
This is going to be an interesting build! Are you planning on retaining the color or changing it to something else?

ATB with the unique build.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
It's gonna be super interesting to watch this transformation progress!

Cross-linking to another G-Class build (though on a Bolero), just for reference:

Thanks Rehaan, this modified Bolero was our main inspiration in buying Gurkha replacing our beloved Gypsy.

Yes we are intending to change the color also, no way retaining the Dragon Green color, these are the finalised shades in consideration -

Force Gurkha: G-Wagen Makeover-img_2831.jpg

992 is original Mercedes color shade and all others Audi color shades. We decided to go with X7R, prefered some darker shades as it can conceal most of minor design flaws & defects with the modifications
Anil Vincent is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 10:18   #18
BHPian

Wow! Amazing stuff! I had once planned the same with an earlier tempo Trax and older gen G-wagon(w461). Still haven't found the right donor(a good swb tempo Trax)
There are loads of similarities, the front fenders meet the area before the doors at the same angle. Even the swb G-wagon and Gurkha wheelbase lengths should match(it does match the tempo Trax swb). Soft top would have been a hell lot easier to replicate the G-wagon cabriolet but I'm guessing you wanted the hard top model to do the current Gen.
The best part about this is you'll never mind beating it around an off road course compared to using the current G wagon.
Good luck and have fun
Dee_aRe_Cee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 18:36   #19
BHPian

The original build quality of body works in Gurkha is pathetic, Rameshan and his team at Marvel Auto was found very much excited and highly involved with this modification works he has attend to every minute details, every weak or shabby body joints are reinforced and all the areas suspected to generate cracks are strengthened with mig welding. We tried to eliminate vibrations and rattlings as much as possible.

All the body panels will be sanded as much possible and start with applying marine grade anti rust body primer and sealants.
Force Gurkha: G-Wagen Makeover-20-1.jpg

Force Gurkha: G-Wagen Makeover-20-4.jpg

Force Gurkha: G-Wagen Makeover-20c-1.jpg
Anil Vincent is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 11:11   #20
Senior - BHPian

This project is shaping up well. Good job. I was waiting to see the body work completion and it looks like it is now finalized. I reckon the 3 window look stays vis-a-vis 2 window that the G-Wagen 3 Dr has.
14000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 12:25   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anil Vincent View Post
The original build quality of body works in Gurkha is pathetic
Hi there.

Good project you have going on.

Dunno if it's late to suggest, but have you considered going for "Flush" type windshield glass?

There was a modded Thar from Kerala recently posted with it and it makes a lot of difference.

Good luck with the project and looking forward to seeing the final product.

Cheers.
gthang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 12:48   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd also suggest that you remove the stock snorkel and patch up that hole and close the front vents under the windscreen.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 14:07   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
I reckon the 3 window look stays vis-a-vis 2 window that the G-Wagen 3 Dr has.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Dunno if it's late to suggest, but have you considered going for "Flush" type windshield glass?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
I'd also suggest that you remove the stock snorkel and patch up that hole and close the front vents under the windscreen.
Thanks every one for the feedbacks and suggestions, it was a good suggestion to replicate the rear window to single long window as like in 3 door G wagen but its now too late to cut and re adjust the frames including a tilt at the rear edge. Definitely i will do this on the second vehicle in line
Force Gurkha: G-Wagen Makeover-mercedesgklase_2000_apvidus_1512744235_3.jpg

The windshield glass on real G is also fixed with the rubber moulding at edge so i intend to keep it same only. I saw the flush type windshield frame done on a thar which is executed well as in wrangler and looks too good.

Yes i will be closing the snorkel hole; not permanently but with a detachable lid cover, the vent under the windshield is also something went unnoticed yet, already asked the Marvel guys to look at that option if its not too late, even if by filling it up with metal paste.
Anil Vincent is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 18:40   #24
BHPian

Hi Anil,

Love this thread. Have subscribed to it already. I am a big fan of the G Class and have always imagined that the Gurkha has a lot of resemblance. Having seen a few Boleros being converted, I think this has an even better chance of looking the part especially considering the details to which you are modding. Looking forward to the finished version. I'm sure it'll be amazing. All the best
Old 16th March 2017, 19:22   #25
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Loving the transformation! Keep it up Anil!

The Bolero and the Gurkha are the best contenders for the G-Wagen. Looking forward to see more pics on the progress. Regarding the parts that you are using - are these brand new OE parts or scrap parts or local fabrications. I am just wondering using OE G-Wagen parts would cost more than the Gurkha itself, right?
Old 18th March 2017, 12:29   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post

The Bolero and the Gurkha are the best contenders for the G-Wagen.

I am just wondering using OE G-Wagen parts would cost more than the Gurkha itself, right?
Yes Bolero and Gurkha are the best contenders for G Wagen mods, but i feel Gurkha will be closer to G looks when modified since it maintain the body dimensions more proportionate to the real G.

Sourcing parts was not an easy deal, I bought the Head Light Garnish, Front Grill & Side Ledges OE brand new ones. The front bumper, rear bumpers and the wheel arches are sourced OE used ones, but were is pristine condition as good as new.
Anil Vincent is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2017, 12:38   #27
BHPian

Painting jobs progressed very fast, if fact much faster than i expected. I was also in a hurry to see the color outcome and the project being approaching to its final stages the body shop team also found in hurry to see its final appearance

Force Gurkha: G-Wagen Makeover-21-2.jpg

Force Gurkha: G-Wagen Makeover-21-7.jpg

Force Gurkha: G-Wagen Makeover-21-8.jpg

There was many suggestions came for the color selection and the most recommended was 'white' however i wanted to try something different and opted for grey and it didn't disappointed at all, really delighted to see the final color outcome, exactly as i expected and to the taste

Force Gurkha: G-Wagen Makeover-22-1.jpg

Force Gurkha: G-Wagen Makeover-22-2.jpg
Anil Vincent is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 18th March 2017, 20:53   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

There was many suggestions came for the color selection and the most recommended was 'white' however i wanted to try something different and opted for grey and it didn't disappointed at all, really delighted to see the final color outcome, exactly as i expected and to the taste
White is suggested for all ex-factory tinkering works, because it hides minor imperfections.

But, if you can achieve the kind of finish with a darker color, then hats off to the tinker. He has indeed done a great job!
dhanushs is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th March 2017, 06:21   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Painting jobs progressed very fast, if fact much faster than i expected.
Hi there. Not a bad choice of color at all. Looking very good so far.

Are you going to finish the vehicle with the 3 pointed star for the complete disguise?

When I used to build a similar project in my head, I used to ponder about the possibility of getting a jet cut personalized logo to replace the star.

Looking forward to more pictures of the build.

Cheers.
gthang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2017, 13:46   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
But, if you can achieve the kind of finish with a darker color, then hats off to the tinker. He has indeed done a great job!
Yes so far i am very satisfied with the job quality and finish obtained, everything is attended to the fine details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Are you going to finish the vehicle with the 3 pointed star for the complete disguise?

I am not intending to keep the mercedes logo, may be any other customised ones, still thinking about it. However it will be fun and exciting to keep the mercedes logo for some photo shoots as in the bolero above!!
Anil Vincent is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks