Nice Job Rainmaker,
Any Updates?
Old 16th December 2006, 04:08   #32
Senior - BHPian

Sweet job, both Rainmaker and Beeman.
Old 16th December 2006, 14:36   #33
Senior - BHPian

Great job buddy,
I've been looking for a jeep like this. If u find one or know of one can you pm me? Thanks.
Old 16th December 2006, 14:51   #34
Senior - BHPian

I Want One
I Want One
I Want One
I Want One
I Want One

Old 16th December 2006, 16:50   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
Beeman:
What is this sniper light on the fender?
I know only of an armored black-out light, that was on the left fender of the 1939 Willys MB.
Ram
that is not possible, the jeep (both, ford & willys)came into being when the USA joined the second world war in 1942, so no jeeps were made in 1939!!
Old 17th December 2006, 17:24   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post
that is not possible, the jeep (both, ford & willys)came into being when the USA joined the second world war in 1942, so no jeeps were made in 1939!!
Oh yes they were and were called Overlands then.. GP = General Purpose (vehicle) which went on to be called Jeep
Old 19th December 2006, 01:04   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Oh yes they were and were called Overlands then.. GP = General Purpose (vehicle) which went on to be called Jeep
overland was a brand of willys overland limited, and were passenger cars, and some bus and light truck chassis from the early years of the automobile.,and many exist in india.
the Jeep or G.P was originally called the quarter ton truck at the prototype stage, and it was NOT developed by either willys or ford.it was developed by Bantam, who also made the austin seven under licence in the USA, yes, the Austin 7 was once made in the USA, as was Rolls-Royce..
bantam were not awarded the contract because they could not manufacture them in the volumes required by the military.
NO jeeps existed in 1939!!
Old 19th December 2006, 10:37   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

yup thats right...the whole design was a bantam product, which of course was under design stage pre 42, but never full scale production...
Old 19th December 2006, 13:47   #39
Ram
Senior - BHPian

My mistake about 1939. Bantam's involvement with the jeep dates back to 1932.

The original spec required:
  • Part time 4x4 with a 2-speed transfer case
  • Rectangular body tub with folding windshield and 3 bucket seats.
  • Powerful engine.
  • Towing Pintle hook
  • 30-caliber gun mount.
  • Blackout lighting.
  • Oil-bath air cleaner.
  • Hydraulic brakes.
  • Full floating axles.
  • 75-inch Wheelbase
  • Max. height of 36" with windshield folded not including wheels.
  • Max. weight of 1200 lbs [545 kg].
  • 45 degree approach angle, 45 degree departure angle
  • 50 mph (80 km/h) on hard surface road.
Willys and Ford failed miserably.
Corruption prevailed and the US Army Quartermaster Corps doctored the specs to make Willys and Ford succeed and Bantam lose!

Bantam's entry

The US government tender for a 0.25 ton 4x4 light command reconnaissance car came out on 19th June 1940.

It specified high ground clearance, off-roadability, powerful engine, 80 inch hobby-horse wheel base and a sub-590 kg. weight.

Imagine even a Maruti 800 weighs more!
Dodge and GM walked out of the project because of the 590 kg limit.

Even more difficult, the competitors were given just 50 days to demo a prototype.

Three companies met the government tender in time. Willys, Ford and Bantam.

The military mixed the best features of all three prototypes into one design, gave that design blueprint to all three manufacturers and ordered 1500 specimens each from Willys, Ford and Bantam in November the same year.

The next year in July, 1941, the US government ordered another 15,000 from Willys, 16,000 from Ford and shut down Bantam as too small to supply to the government.

In 1943, Bantam sued Willys for falsely claiming to have designed and invented the Jeep.
They won the case but burned up all their money fighting the case. Bantam never again produced motor vehicles.

After World War II, Ford returned to cars but Willys stuck to military Jeeps and trucks.

American farmers who had once been soldiers purchased old army Jeeps at scrap prices and started to use them as farm tractors.

Ref: Military Jeep History: Bantam to MB

More Jeep reading:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/188784-post16.html dated 10th March 2006, 14:05
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/200817-post1.html dated 30th March 2006, 10:47
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/200918-post8.html dated 30th March 2006, 13:00
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/201160-post15.html dated 30th March 2006, 22:33

Ram
Old 21st December 2006, 15:08   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I Want One
I Want One
I Want One
I Want One
I Want One

Hey just to share with you guys that there is one CJ3 B in bandra, car is in real bad condition ( Nobody has used for quite a long time so very dusty, flat tyers etc ) But it has all the original accessories even the sniper light on the fender so anybody wanna buy it and restore it can try to contact the owner.
Old 21st December 2006, 15:22   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post
well ure right that jeeps as we know them today were not i existance in 39, mistake accepted. Just a little gyan re willy's
Willy's (willy's overland) was in existance since 1908
In 1929, Jhon Willy's unloaded his share in the company for $21 million(a lotta bucks even for today) and became US ambassador to Poland. The company meanwhile collapsed in the slump and went into recievership. Willy's hurried back but could not save the co as he died in 1933, a year in which the ugly aerodynamic Willy's 77 was made and survuved till 42 as the Willy's americar and as u rightly said that is when the jeep came into existance ie the company nade 3,61,349 jeeps as we know them today.
Thanks bud
Old 21st December 2006, 15:23   #42
Senior - BHPian

but MEREKO EK LAKE DO YAAR!!
V-16 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 21st December 2006, 15:26   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdev29 View Post
Hey just to share with you guys that there is one CJ3 B in bandra, car is in real bad condition ( Nobody has used for quite a long time so very dusty, flat tyers etc ) But it has all the original accessories even the sniper light on the fender so anybody wanna buy it and restore it can try to contact the owner.
pl give me the directions and ill go NOW
Old 21st December 2006, 15:39   #44
Senior - BHPian

v-16 i have sent a PM plz check.
Old 21st December 2006, 15:56   #45
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdev29 View Post
What sniper light? There's no such thing as a sniper light !
Snipers use red-laser sighted rifles. Cool! but the second world war Jeep's blackout light has nothing to do with snipers. Not by a long stretch of imagination!

Another small point in the interest of precision.
Jeeps are trucks (small light trucks), but they are not cars. Why?
Something primarily meant to carry troops, arms and armament is a truck. Trucks below 3.5 tons in the UK and below 6.3 tons in the USA are light trucks. So a Jeep is a truck.

Something primarily meant to carry only people even military officers is a car.
Cars drive on paved roads. Cars with all four wheels being driveable (like an Audi Quattro or Subaru) are called All-wheel-drive cars (not four-wheel-drive cars). They usually lack the high ground clearance and long-travel suspension of a true SUV. Four-wheel-drive plus high ground clearance and long-travel suspension gives Jeeps offroadability.

The two-wheel-drive-only Jeeps are only found in India. Everywhere else in the world Jeeps are always 4x4. (Exception: The AMGeneral-built white-colored USA postman's right-hand-drive Jeep. It is RHD because the mailbox on the curb must be accessed by the driver. And they will not drive on the wrong-side of the road and break the law, even while opening the postbox.)

In fact, when a 4x4 SUV is mutilated by dismantling the drive to one of the axles, it is not an SUV anymore.

It is then reduced to just a rugged station wagon.

Most so called Indian SUVs: Qualis, Scorpio, etc. are not SUVs at all, with the exception of the 4x4 Tata Safari, Gypsy and a very select Mahindra 4x4 Jeeps.

Comments invited.

Ram

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks