Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2006, 18:02   #46
BHPian

Why cant Scorpio 4x4 be called an SUV?

But Ram, I suppose Scorpio also comes in a 4x4, so why not classify it as an SUV when you put the likes of Safari, Endeavour as an SUV?
Old 22nd December 2006, 13:00   #47
BHPian

Definition of an SUV source wikipedia..........

A sport utility vehicle, or SUV, is a which combines the towing capability of a with the passenger-carrying space of a Most SUVs are designed with a roughly square , an engine compartment, a combined passenger and cargo compartment, and no dedicated trunk. Most mid-size and full-size SUVs have seven or more seats, and a cargo area directly behind the last row of seats. and, such as the Toyota RAV4 and, may have five or fewer seats.
It is known in some countries as an or, often abbreviated to 4WD or 4x4, and pronounced "four-by-four". However, not all SUVs have four-wheel drive capabilities. Conversely, not all 4WD passenger vehicles are SUVs (see, for example,.Subaru impreza)
More recently, manufacturers have responded to buyer's complaints that SUVs "drive like trucks" and demands for "carlike ride" with a new type of SUV. A new category, the uses design and components for lighter weight and better , but is no longer designed or recommended by the manufacturer for off-road usage or towing

Last edited by Beeman : 22nd December 2006 at 13:02.
Old 22nd December 2006, 14:11   #48
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeman View Post
More recently, manufacturers have responded to buyer's complaints that
SUVs "drive like trucks" and demands for
"carlike ride"...
From the 1960s to the 1980s, 4x4s were rugged, no-nonsense go-anywhere Tonka-toys.
The Land Rover models, Mahindra Classic, etc. are still like that! The Japanese Nissan Patrol G60 born in 1960 also was a military-strength 4x4.

Along with the Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser, it exploited the popularity of the Willys Jeep and the British Land Rover and lived a very long life. Continued in India as the Jonga.

Then MBA kids mixed-in imponderables like status and sex-appeal.
The image of a 4x4 was sprayed as a style statement. The Sport-Utility-Vehicle (SUV) was born.

Suddenly core off-road competence -- what the original vehicles did well, was no longer important. It was replaced with style, air-conditioning, electronics and comfort.

Many wimpy 4x4s or SUVs sold today put up patheric performance off the road. They never get muddy nor tow a trailer and fear to get their beautiful paint-jobs and fancy graphics scratched.

In the UK, they are often derogatorily called Soft-Roaders !
The term specifically applies to the all-show and no-go segment of the market.
includes girlie SUVs like the Porsche Cayenne, BMW X5, Toyota RAV4, Ford Fusion, Honda CRV, etc.

Many so-called "SUV" owners neither know nor care what a transfer case, or all those other gear levers are for. So, quite deservedly, two wheel drive station wagons and some fragile 4x4s are palmed off as SUVs (examples: Tata Sierra, 2wd Scorpio and 2wd Safari DICOR).
Old 11th January 2007, 17:11   #49
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I have a 89 model Mahindra. I have fixed a Gypsy King 1.3 ltr Carb Engine with the same transmission 5 fed and 1 reverse.

Check out the pics on :
ImageShack - Hosting :: jeep3yf8.jpg
Old 23rd November 2007, 19:06   #50

I Must Appreciate Your Team Work & Determination To Restore A Jeep I Do Wish To Own One Pls Assist Me In Getting Hold Of One I Do Intend To Keep It Just This Way.wishing You And Your Team All The Very Best In Future Endeavours God Bless
Old 7th April 2008, 19:03   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
What sniper light? There's no such thing as a sniper light !
Snipers use red-laser sighted rifles. Cool! but the second world war Jeep's blackout light has nothing to do with snipers. Not by a long stretch of imagination!

Another small point in the interest of precision.
Jeeps are trucks (small light trucks), but they are not cars. Why?
Something primarily meant to carry troops, arms and armament is a truck. Trucks below 3.5 tons in the UK and below 6.3 tons in the USA are light trucks. So a Jeep is a truck.

Something primarily meant to carry only people even military officers is a car.

Comments invited.

Ram
The lights on the Jeep which are being mentioned as sniper lights have got nothing to do with snipers.

Those lights are called convoy lights and they are swithched on only when a serious doubt of judgement is there in the drivers' mind. These are not kept switched on all the time as these also can be spotted by the enemy and be converted into a target.
If there are other vehicles following the first vehicle, then they take the help of a prominent marking of white paint on the rear of the diffrentials(on trucks) where it can be seen by driver following it.

In the beautifully restored jeep, there are two lights just above the radiator grille. These are actually the reversing light fitted in place of convoy lights. These jeeps come with a single reversing light which is embedded inside the body at the rear.

Incidently, Army uses the nomenclature as 'Car 250 kgs 4x4' for this class of a vehicle.

I may be wrong, but I feel that the word 'Jeep' stands for 'General Purpose' and there are other vehicles also whichare general purpose. A Jonga afterall, as also a Jeep! No?

And yes, snipers donot use any red laser sights!
Old 7th April 2008, 23:15   #52
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan3004 View Post
Those lights are called convoy lights and they are swithched on only when a serious doubt of judgement is there in the drivers' mind. These are not kept switched on all the time as these also can be spotted by the enemy and be converted into a target.
The 4¼" diameter shielded lamp, usually mounted on the left front or driver’s side of a military vehicle is used for driving during blackout conditions. The USArmy calls it a "Black-out" light. It is kept continuously switched on and emits a diffused beam that is hard to spot from an aircraft. (World War Two conditions).

The "Blackout Marker Light" also called a "convoy light" is a small light with clear, rectangular filtered lens, usually mounted in pairs on the front of a vehicle. Their purpose is to mark the position of a vehicle in a convoy. These lights display certain shapes at different distances. Most WWII-era blackout marker lights were separate units with bullet-shaped housings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan3004 View Post
Incidently, Army uses the nomenclature as 'Car 250 kgs 4x4' for this class of a vehicle.
The US Army literature (for the Willys MB) uses the nomenclature 1/4-ton truck-utility.

I may be wrong, but I feel that the word 'Jeep' stands for 'General Purpose' and there are other vehicles also which are general purpose. A Jonga after all, as also a Jeep! No?
[/quote]
General Purpose: A generic term. Besides Jeeps and Jongas(Indian terminology for Datsun G60 Patrol), it also applies to Land-Rovers, MARCO M422 'Mighty Mite', Ford M151 'MUTT', Volkswagen type 82 Kübelwagen
Volkswagen Iltis, Toyota BJ40, the Soviet GAZ 67B, UAZ-469, the German Stöwer-40, Citroën Méhari 4x4, DKW Munga 4, Fiat Campagnola, Mercedes Wolf, Peugeot P4, Trattore TL37, ...

As far as the term "Jeep" goes, where might the American GIs have coined the name from? While a US manual in 1949 did use the term G.P. for "General Purpose", the grunt soldiers are not likely to have encountered that manual.
So, Jeep being a phonetical slur from GP is rather unlikely.

What is more likely is, that they named their hardy li'l vehicle after a character they were all familiar with -- Popeye's dog, Eugene the Jeep.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks