Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2018, 15:28   #1
BANNED

The 20-lakh rupee Thar Wanderlust (modified by Mahindra)

Received this in the in-box today (from Motor Beam) and I'm not sure if this has been reported earlier - so mods please delete it if you think it has been dealt with earlier

: https://www.motorbeam.com/mahindra-t...ew-test-drive/

https://www.motorbeam.com/mahindra-t...image-gallery/

Looks like M&M have realized that the market for the Thar after-market-mods has decent money in it!

The 20-lakh rupee Thar Wanderlust (modified by Mahindra)-1.jpg

The 20-lakh rupee Thar Wanderlust (modified by Mahindra)-2.jpg

The 20-lakh rupee Thar Wanderlust (modified by Mahindra)-3.jpg

The 20-lakh rupee Thar Wanderlust (modified by Mahindra)-4.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 30th April 2018 at 09:56. Reason: Uploading some pics :)
shashanka is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th April 2018, 10:00   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The 20-lakh rupee Thar Wanderlust (modified by Mahindra)

Was first seen at the Auto Expo.

Looks way too overdone for my tastes, but if Mahindra were to market it a bit, they could definitely move a couple of pieces. As we've seen from the many modded car threads, there are people who'd be willing to pay an additional 10 lakhs to stand out from the crowd.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2018, 14:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Was first seen at the Auto Expo.

Looks way too overdone for my tastes, but if Mahindra were to market it a bit, they could definitely move a couple of pieces. As we've seen from the many modded car threads, there are people who'd be willing to pay an additional 10 lakhs to stand out from the crowd.
How funny. The manual says don't use bullbars on models with airbags (and the next gen Thar is coming with Airbags at least to comply with regulations) - and Mahindra decks out this thing with a bullbar.
Old 30th April 2018, 15:37   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
How funny. The manual says don't use bullbars on models with airbags (and the next gen Thar is coming with Airbags at least to comply with regulations) - and Mahindra decks out this thing with a bullbar.

In this vehicle, this acts as a bumper. But in any case I don't think this is road legal especially with the uncovered tyres. Maybe Mahindra made this for the the American market.
Old 30th April 2018, 22:59   #5
BHPian

Just watched the review of the Thar Wanderlust by Faisal Khan on YouTube, and the first thing that popped in my mind after seeing the car was the word "jugaad". They gave sparco racing seats in a car that tops out at 90kmph. And not to mention the terrible quality levels of things inside. The door locks, reverse camera weren't opening-working the way they should, even the steering wasn't aligned properly.

But with that being said, the car has a commanding view of the road ahead, has front facing rear seats and gull-wing doors. And the gull-wing doors are a thing of beauty

Last edited by Tanveer02 : 30th April 2018 at 23:00.
Tanveer02 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2018, 00:13   #6
BHPian

I have seen this a couple of weeks back on Aundh-Baner road in Pune, and IMHO looks hideous if seen in person. Looks as if Mahindra assembled it in a hurry.
Old 1st May 2018, 00:40   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer02 View Post
Just watched the review of the Thar Wanderlust by Faisal Khan on YouTube, and the first thing that popped in my mind after seeing the car was the word "jugaad". They gave sparco racing seats in a car that tops out at 90kmph. And not to mention the terrible quality levels of things inside. The door locks, reverse camera weren't opening-working the way they should, even the steering wasn't aligned properly.

But with that being said, the car has a commanding view of the road ahead, has front facing rear seats and gull-wing doors. And the gull-wing doors are a thing of beauty
I fully agree with you Tanveer. I also had seen the review video by Mr. Faisal Khan in his YouTube channel. Moreover, I feel that 20 lakhs is prohibitively expensive for a "jugaad" vehicle like this. Mahindra should rather think and develop other things like a Jeep-Wrangler type hardtop.

Thar is one of my favourite vehicles but sorry to say that not this "jugaad".
Old 1st May 2018, 23:41   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Firstly, i personally think that this contraption deserves a throne in the Weird and Wacky thread.

Answering below just to clear some misconceptions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunanb View Post
But in any case I don't think this is road legal especially with the uncovered tyres. Maybe Mahindra made this for the the American market.
America is stricter with regards to tyres. They have to be within the body or external flares are to be added. Even a centimetre out is not allowed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer02 View Post
They gave sparco racing seats in a car that tops out at 90kmph.
What is the main use of "racing" seats? Basically to ensure that the driver / navigator is securely snug and has no movement and that the three point or 5 point seat belts go through the back rest (in most cases) to completely immobilise the driver.

In an offroad situation with the car bouncing around and doing crazy angles, don't you think that "racing" seats are better than regular seats. Also regular inertia seat belts found in your cars don't work in offroad situations because the topples are slow speed. Thus, three point harnesses are very important - and are used with "racing" seats only.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st May 2018, 23:56   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
In an offroad situation with the car bouncing around and doing crazy angles, don't you think that "racing" seats are better than regular seats. Also regular inertia seat belts found in your cars don't work in offroad situations because the topples are slow speed. Thus, three point harnesses are very important - and are used with "racing" seats only.
Thanks for shedding light into this regard. With that being said I am also doubtful about it's off-roading capabilities.

A quote from Zigwheel's test-drive article

Quote:
Can I take it off road?

The stock Thar with its low ratio four-wheel drive transmission is fairly capable off-road. The big wheels do add some ground clearance and grip over the stock ones but they also sacrifice equal amounts of drive with the taller ratios.

The added weight of the new body and the added accessories also don’t really help. We did some exploring in a dried lake bed and it was quite capable over some steep inclines and deep soft sand, but while it can get itself out of sticky situations in a pinch you don't want to go looking for trouble in this 4x4.
Link to the airticle
Old 2nd May 2018, 00:00   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

I'll refrain from judging it's offroad capability or relying on zigwheels opinion without having driven the vehicle personally.

My answer to you was in the simple context that you implied that there is no need to give racing seats in a Thar that tops out at 90kmph.

Another FYI: The thar does much more than 90kmph.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2018, 01:33   #11
BHPian

Quote:
America is stricter with regards to tyres. They have to be within the body or external flares are to be added. Even a centimetre out is not allowed.
It's a given that the Americas has stringent norms. Thar is not road legal in The USA. It's more of an expensive toy there.
varunanb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2018, 07:17   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Another FYI: The thar does much more than 90kmph.
I am well aware of the fact that the regular stock Thar does top speeds of about 140-150kmph, but the particular Thar in subject, the Thar Wanderlust has a top speed of around 90kmph as said in the video. And when I said "tops out at 90kmph" I meant the Wanderlust and not the regular Thar.

Old 2nd May 2018, 09:41   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunanb View Post
It's a given that the Americas has stringent norms. Thar is not road legal in The USA. It's more of an expensive toy there.
Is the Thar CRDe that is available here sold there?
I only thought that the Roxor which is the Thar Di with the CRDe engine and mods that is designed and sold there.
Old 7th June 2018, 19:11   #14
BHPian

With each "mod" my opinion of mahindra customization is taking a nose dive ! Any off roader knows that the front bumper will get mangled beyond recognition on the first trip. The gull wings will drive you mad with squeaks and rattles. M&M please do not insult our intelligence

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks