Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 19th July 2018, 14:40   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Will Jeep India launch a Thar competitor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A jugaad-engineered Thar with power steering & a/c costs 11 lakhs on the road in Mumbai. If Jeep can sell a proper modern car - the Compass - starting at 18 lakhs, it can definitely do a more basic Jeep at 11 - 13 lakhs.

But will it?

Jeep India won't design a Jeep on its own - it'll have to look at the international portfolio. That's means the Wrangler which is clearly targeting a higher price point. If & when the Wrangler is built locally, I don't expect it to cost less than 18 - 20 lakhs. And that's if Jeep is interested in the low volumes.

I for one think they should. Not just as an enthusiast, but it makes business sense when you think of what such a car will do to brand Jeep. It's proper Jeeps that made the brand sexy.

I would put the odds of that at 50:50. The Gypsy still serves a solid purpose.
If assembled in India like the Compass project with the same degree of local content, an off- roader Jeep Wrangler ( or Sahara ) with a 2.5 L, 4 cylinder Diesel engine can be launched here for under 15 Lakhs with a hard top and alloy wheels.

But the low sales of Thar CRDE, a direct segment competitor at the moment might me a market factor discouraging Jeep India to launch such a vehicle.
Old 20th July 2018, 10:10   #17
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Will Jeep India launch a Thar competitor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
If assembled in India like the Compass project with the same degree of local content, an off- roader Jeep Wrangler ( or Sahara ) with a 2.5 L, 4 cylinder Diesel engine can be launched here for under 15 Lakhs with a hard top and alloy wheels.

But the low sales of Thar CRDE, a direct segment competitor at the moment might me a market factor discouraging Jeep India to launch such a vehicle.
That is a very optimistic price. Wrangles in 4x4 garb retail for upward of US$30,000/, so with taxes it will be difficult to sell one below 30L.

https://www.jeep.com/compare/quick-c...Code=CUJ201810
https://www.jeep.com/compare/quick-c...10&variation=1

Most Viewed