Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 9th August 2018, 13:23   #16
AVR
BHPian

Default Re: Solidifying the Mahindra Thar - Solid Axle Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
AVR, excellent conversion and very well documented in the thread.

Another modification I highly recommend for the Thar is switch to selectable locker at rear instead of the MLD. MLD is very good addition as OE equipment but for advanced offroading, it isn't predictable and sometimes you have to induce wheelspin to lock it.

MLD can be dangerous in sub zero temperatures, if the wheel encounters sudden wheel spin due to Icy patch, the MLD activates with a jerk and it does flick the tail out. Happened with us multiple times during our January Spiti drive.
Sorry but forgot to mention. We moved from Eaton at the rear to Selectable Lockers sent by Viji. I totally agree with you on the auto-lockers. Ability to choose when to engage is very important.
AVR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2018, 13:29   #17
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The improvement in offroad capability is obvious. What is the compromise on on-road behavior? Has the handling or ride comfort suffered as a result of this mod?
The on-road behavior is fairly good. The Thar to begin with wasn't a benchmark for comfort but it has worked fairly well so far. It's stiffer but not uncomfortable nor throwing one around.
The RTC steering damper has made the steering setup very smooth. That's something worth exploring if one has PS.

Cheers,
Adi
AVR is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2018, 02:28   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Super conversion and thanks for a detailed thread. I too have a 2014 Thar and this thread is enticing. I spend a lot of time in Chennai for office work and have taken my Thar there a couple of times. I can plan for this conversion provided I can save up enough. Will it cause any inconvenience if I were to request for the cost of conversion to just the solid axles?
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2018, 22:37   #19
BHPian

Wonderful project and excellently executed. I've been tracking this project on other social media groups where the test videos were uploaded time to time.

I own a 2011 Thar and I'm planning to get selectable lockers shortly. One question I immediately had in mind was "Why not go for coilsprings in the front as well?" Is it technically feasible? Please PM me the price of the FSA conversion with leafsprings.
sharc_biker is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2018, 17:19   #20
AVR
BHPian

This project cost approximately as per the breakdown below:

1) Front SFA conversion including leafs, shocks was ~72k. Additionally we sourced the axles and power steering box etc.
2) Rear coil-spring was about 100k plus shocks.

For more accurate estimates would make sense to connect with Arka (ex670c) on the forum.

@sharc_biker, The front coil-springs option is also feasible and something Arka can potentially do but honestly I can't remember a reason why we didn't consider it. Potentially budget could be one but not a deal breaker at that.

Hope this helps
Cheers,
Adi
AVR is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2018, 14:54   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharc_biker View Post
I own a 2011 Thar and I'm planning to get selectable lockers shortly. One question I immediately had in mind was "Why not go for coilsprings in the front as well?" Is it technically feasible? Please PM me the price of the FSA conversion with leafsprings.
Hi Sharc,

The front 5 link Coil Spring conversion is quite possible.

But for best results I would recommend a coil over strut in the front. This jacks up the cost of conversion significantly.

Why not coil springs for the Front Suspension

1) Not enough choice of springs (Rate/Length)
2) Stand Alone coil springs have large OD which takes away a lot of space on the front axle.
3) With Coil Springs there is very little space to install and orient the Shock Absorbers.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote