Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2021, 02:28   #61
BANNED

Re: My 2008 Maruti Gypsy Hardtop - A childhood dream come true!

That’s some crazy stuff! You know petrol is inflammable yet you tried to melt plastic near the fuel tank? Anyways looks like you guys had quiet an adventure!
Old 28th August 2021, 06:04   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
That’s some crazy stuff! You know petrol is inflammable yet you tried to melt plastic near the fuel tank? Anyways looks like you guys had quiet an adventure!
No. That was the main problem I guess. We were trying to melt plastic on a stove far away and till the time we brought it near, it had already cooled down.
Old 30th August 2021, 21:36   #63
BHPian

Arsi's petrol tank guard looks capable. SwastikFabs also sell similar guards. It came standard in Nissan Jonga.

Please remember, soap is the best 'glue' for petrol -- whether in tanks or pipes.
Of course, it will work for small cracks or punctures only. During my stay in the NE hills and mountains, we tackled many emergencies by always carrying a bar of soap.

Some years back, my old MG 410W developed a crack under the tank because some raw underaged mechanic's assistant tried jacking the vehicle up under the tank (!) for some work on the rear brakes. It was not detected by me till I parked it back at home and noticed the drips and the smell. The mechanics had reported nothing to me during or after the brake job -- that is your "friendly" neighbourhood garage !

I repaired the crack with soap, drove back next day, and got the crack welded after emptying and airing out the tank. The huge depression caused by the jack was left as it was, allowing for maybe a litre or two of petrol less at tankfuls !
SnakemanJohny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 21:40   #64
BHPian

Guys, I am looking forward to make my cabin a bit comfortable. In this regarding, my first step would be to reduce the cabin noise (Right now my Gypsy is bare bones and I literally have to shout to talk to the other person!). I have decided to take it up as a low-budget DIY project. I am planning to install a thick foam all over the floor and a rubber coil mat (https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...434405509.html) over it. For the doors, I will use some cotton-fiber (will have to research) material as a stuffing.

Need your suggestions regarding the same. TIA.
Old 13th September 2021, 21:11   #65
BHPian

These mats are available (surely cheaper, around one USD per square metre) at local markets too -- upholsterers etc. Generally used as door mats for office/house, I use them as bottom layer of dog bedding for winter.

Please go through the 'Damping Material & Sound Deadener Thread', my posts are towards the end #310,319 etc.

I have used alu-foil backed butyl foam sheets from AMAZON.IN for doors, floors, firewall, and bonnet inner. These are adhesive backed.
One inch thick styrofoam inside the ceiling (mainly for heat insulation, but also helps reduce drumming of heavy rain).

For doors alone, a thick coating of grease on the inner side also helps deaden sound, with added benefit of rust proofing the insides. This was the standard procedure before damping materiel were available, particularly in high humidity and salinity areas. Gives the doors a solid 'THUNK' on closing, too, instead of the tinny noise Gypsy doors make !

My project was DIY and low budget, too, back in 2018.

Last edited by SnakemanJohny : 13th September 2021 at 21:14. Reason: data omitted due to oversight
SnakemanJohny is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 18:33   #66
BHPian

Mod: Leaf addition and "longer" shock installation

In the previous OTR, my Gypsy tilted too much to the right and the main leaf at the rear broke. So, at that time, I decided to forget about comfort and strengthen all the leafs.

Today was the day of installation. I added omni rear leafs to all the four sides. The shocks were not fitting after the addition and recambering. There were two options, one, buy new innova or bolero shock and two, somehow lengthen the stock monroes. The new shocks weren't available in the market. So I went for the second option.

The results: Articulation has considerably increased. The ride however has become bouncy.

Mechanic's jugaad for lengthening the shocks
My 2008 Maruti Gypsy Hardtop - A childhood dream come true!-img20210921wa0010.jpeg

Articulation
My 2008 Maruti Gypsy Hardtop - A childhood dream come true!-20210921_172251.jpg

My 2008 Maruti Gypsy Hardtop - A childhood dream come true!-20210921_172225.jpg

My 2008 Maruti Gypsy Hardtop - A childhood dream come true!-20210921_172206.jpg
Arsi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 01:55   #67
BANNED

Looks like you have removed the stabiliser bar I don’t see one. Hence articulation is bound to increase. Your post wasn’t clear on how the “limb stretching surgery” was done on your shocks to make your ride taller. ��
Old 22nd September 2021, 08:08   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsi View Post
Mod: Leaf addition and "longer" shock installation

In the previous OTR, my Gypsy tilted too much to the right The new shocks weren't available in the market. So I went for the second option.

The results: Articulation has considerably increased. The ride however has become bouncy.

[i]Mechanic's jugaad for lengthening the shocks
Would this jugaad survive the extreme use cases the Gypsy is likely to be subjected to?
Old 22nd September 2021, 15:14   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Looks like you have removed the stabiliser bar I don’t see one. Hence articulation is bound to increase. Your post wasn’t clear on how the “limb stretching surgery” was done on your shocks to make your ride taller. ��
Yes, the first thing I did to my ride before going off-road is to remove the stability bar.

Regarding the "surgery", you can see in the first picture that the mechanic has welded additional circular clips which go in the bolts providing additional 2" of length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Would this jugaad survive the extreme use cases the Gypsy is likely to be subjected to?
His idea was to simply weld the additional circular portions cut from the old non-usable gypsy shocks. However, I knew they would easily bend. So, I told him to strengthen them by welding straight rods inside the first circle which is not to be put to use. Again, I cannot vouch for the strength of the weld. At that moment, I had no options either. The longer innova/xylo/camper shocks are planned.

I drove the Gypsy on road yesterday after the mod. I am already feeling that the rear shocks are being extended to the full under normal conditions. I felt a lot of 'thuds' over potholes indicating the same. Hence, my rear articulation would also be restricted. So, a newer set of shocks is a must in my opinion.
Arsi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 00:33   #70
BHPian

Hello guys.

I have a very ill feeling when I take the Gypsy to the hills due to the fear of turning turtle. And now that I have raised the height further, I have become a bit more uncomfortable. The fear alone stops me from getting into slightly titled terrain. I just want to know how many instances of tilting do we have here? What is the likelihood of a raised HT Gypsy turning turtle on an sideway incline?

For reference, Gypsy didn't tilt here. But my fears didn't let me proceed
My 2008 Maruti Gypsy Hardtop - A childhood dream come true!-img_20210627_163335.jpg
Arsi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 20:59   #71
BHPian

Please do not proceed further in such cases unless there is someone heavier on the passenger side. As it is, Gypsies are narrow and high.
Also try installing a LANDMETER (first found on Land Rovers) or a 'roll & pitch meter' --available in accessory shops or online.

I wanted to lift a pic from Amazon and send here, but my mouse right click has stopped working ! Anyway, I think you know the type.
SnakemanJohny is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 21:58   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Hey Arsi,
Aisin FWHs are still available new. I purchased mine last month from a maruti authorised spare parts dealer in Bangalore. But at half the price, the lambda is a good choice.
Any initial impressions post install of the free wheeling hubs?
Cheers,
Deepak
Hi starter,
I am also looking for aisin FWHs. Can you share the part number or know of any dealer who has a new one in stock?
vikramvicky1984 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 03:44   #73
BHPian

Thank you Arsi for sharing your Gypsie updates. I've been avidly following them.
Wishing you many more happier and safer miles with your car.
Vitruvius is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks