Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2008, 15:48   #61
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
To fit a lockable free-wheeling hub, you removed these six bolts and pulled off the flange. The free-wheeling hub body would then replace the driving flange.

A threaded screw plate, when twisted clockwise, would couple the hub body to the splined axle shaft, so that the axle could drive the hub.

When twisted anticlockwise, it would separate the splined axle from the driven hub, effectively freewheeling the front wheel.
Thanks Ram, in my case I already have a lockable hub, so I couldn't compare with mine.
Old 27th June 2008, 15:58   #62
Senior - BHPian

Note the flat, low sheen, paint. I do wonder about the mechanicals. To me, that is what a jeep is about. I think the pitch fork is a great idea, you never know when you may confront a militant bale of hay.
Old 27th June 2008, 16:03   #63
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I think the pitch fork is a great idea, you never know when you may confront a militant bale of hay.
This past weekend we were offroading in an old Willy's and in one stage encounter enough thorned bushes to warrant use of something like a pitch fork. As a matter of fact we figured it would be fantastic to have a 12v DC chainsaw as we really couldn't go beyond a point without clearing the growth

PS We realised the axe was really a boon rather than a adornment!

Last edited by DKG : 27th June 2008 at 16:06.
Old 27th June 2008, 16:14   #64
Ram
Senior - BHPian

It doesn't look like a Jeep CJ full-floating front hub at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
^^ there seem to be six bolts in the front axle in the above pic : so doesnt it mean 4WD?
  1. Actually Blue Thunder, it doesn't look like a Jeep CJ full-floating front hub at all, that's why my confusion !
    I had also changed my 16-inch OEM wheel rims to 15-inch Maruti Gypsy wheel rims on my 4x4 Jeep. The full-floating hub body would protrude through the hole in the wheel rim until the dust cap would be proud of the outermost point on the wheel front face.
  2. To corroborate what I have written about the three bolt caps, look at any 2 wheel drive Mahindra and compare with a 4 wheel drive Mahindra/Willys/AMC Jeep.
Ram
Old 27th June 2008, 16:56   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
  1. Actually Blue Thunder, it doesn't look like a Jeep CJ full-floating front hub at all, that's why my confusion !
    I had also changed my 16-inch OEM wheel rims to 15-inch Maruti Gypsy wheel rims on my 4x4 Jeep. The full-floating hub body would protrude through the hole in the wheel rim until the dust cap would be proud of the outermost point on the wheel front face.
  2. To corroborate what I have written about the three bolt caps, look at any 2 wheel drive Mahindra and compare with a 4 wheel drive Mahindra/Willys/AMC Jeep.
Ram
Ram i definitely can see a front differential in that picture after i increased the brightness of the computer monitor.

I'm confused! The hub as you say looks like a 2WD hub but there is a front differential housing in the picture.
Old 27th June 2008, 18:16   #66
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Ram i definitely can see a front differential in that picture after i increased the brightness of the computer monitor.

I'm confused! The hub as you say looks like a 2WD hub but there is a front differential housing in the picture.
Our countryside is dotted with old Willys Jeeps, that were originally four-wheel-drive.

The way they were made, they would guzzle fuel even in two-wheel-drive, because the hubs turn the half-shafts, the planetary cage, the crown ring, pinion and propeller shaft. The whole concoction robs energy (read fuel).

So the cheapest thing for people to do would be to remove the front axle half shafts and leave everything else in place. You will still see a differential casing but the contents won't be turning and robbing energy and you will lose front-axle drive functionality.

Now at the hub end as you've done axle-shaftectomy, so you don't need the drive flange. One option would be to cap the hub with the Mahindra 3-bolt plate from a 2wd, and be done with it.
Of course, that would announce "two-wheel-drive" to people like us.

So another idea would be to fabricate a custom cap with six holes and weld the original grease cup to it, to masquerade as the real Mc-Coy. A long shot but it would work.

I have no idea what's been done to this Jeep. It certainly has non-Jeep front hubs.

Ram
Old 27th June 2008, 18:52   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I am wondering how could one make out it is 2WD just looking at the wheel hub from the side. For me the rear hub too look the same.

I shot this when I was Jeep ignorant, I would have asked lot more questions to the owner if it was now.
@samurai,this is a 4wd jeep.He was there with us in the last mahindra great escape rally.Checkout the pics.
Attached Thumbnails
A really mean looking Jeep-bhpmahin.jpg  

Old 27th June 2008, 19:09   #68
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack33 View Post
@samurai,this is a 4wd jeep.He was there with us in the last mahindra great escape rally.Checkout the pics.
Just curious! Were two wheel drive Jeeps disallowed from participating in the
Mahindra Great Escape Rally?

After all, the massive proliferation of Mahindra Jeeps, Scorpios, Safaris and Endeavors in our country are humble two-wheel-drives and riced poseurs.

Last edited by Ram : 27th June 2008 at 19:14.
Old 27th June 2008, 22:08   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Just curious! Were two wheel drive Jeeps disallowed from participating in the
Mahindra Great Escape Rally?

After all, the massive proliferation of Mahindra Jeeps, Scorpios, Safaris and Endeavors in our country are humble two-wheel-drives and riced poseurs.
@ram Mahindra Great Escapes are only for 4wds.Atleast for the 2007 Great escapes, it was mandatory and without 4wd he couldn't have completed even one sector.Ram,and in that event i was driving just behind him.
Old 28th June 2008, 06:00   #70
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack33 View Post
@ram Mahindra Great Escapes are only for 4wds.Atleast for the 2007 Great escapes, it was mandatory and without 4wd he couldn't have completed even one sector.Ram,and in that event i was driving just behind him.
So you haven't actually seen his Spicer-18 levers or asked about his funny front axle then?

In your 2007 Great Escapes, did you do wet riverbed crossing or boulder bashing, or was it just driving on a sandy desert?

BTW, what engine is in that vehicle? Is it still the old 72 bhp F-head Hurricane 2195 cc 4-cylinder petrol engine?
Old 4th July 2008, 11:42   #71
BHPian

Post Deleted by the Team-BHP Support : SMS / Slang is STRICTLY prohibited on this community. We would much appreciate your using full & proper english in posts, for the benefit of other forum users.

Please view our board rules carefully before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 15th July 2008 at 10:14.
redeye is offline   Received Infraction
Old 6th July 2008, 17:54   #72
BHPian

this is a very good jeep I guess..
Old 6th July 2008, 21:08   #73
BHPian

Quote:
So you haven't actually seen his Spicer-18 levers or asked about his funny front axle then?

In your 2007 Great Escapes, did you do wet riverbed crossing or boulder bashing, or was it just driving on a sandy desert?

BTW, what engine is in that vehicle? Is it still the old 72 bhp F-head Hurricane 2195 cc 4-cylinder petrol engine?
@ram, sorry for the late reply.The main terrains in the 2007-great escape were steep and slushy,mainly through the cardamom estates.He has got a Matador 305 engine under his hood.
Old 15th July 2008, 09:37   #74
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

what an absolute beauty this looks!
I wish....

Quote:

IMHO, this is a modded 1955 Willys DJ-6 two-wheel-drive RHD delivered to India under the UNICEF program.

Further ref: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...tml#post188784

Ram
Old 15th July 2008, 09:53   #75
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Whats a "riced" poseur?
Agree that 4WD is required for Great Escape.

Also, just because the majority of the SUV type vehicles bought are 2WD doesnt automatically make the owners poseurs please.

After all, even earlier when India was proliferated with Mahindra Jeeps of different types, there were a very large number of customers who predominantly used only the 2WD option and indeed, many bought only the 2WD option in those days.

Quote:

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks